Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

-Blackadder- posted:

Expand?

I'm in Federal Way/Tacoma, right now. So, I'm close to UPS and PLU and not too far from UW. But I don't mind moving.

Ahh cool I grew up in that area, currently I am going to school down in Portland however ,but I did apply to some Washington Universities I just chose not to go.

Generally for culture I might be a little harsh in some of these

CWU - Essentially where people either go after Community College and transfer if they aren't a really good student or the kids who didn't Marshall the grades to get into places like WSU at least those are the two main groups of people I know who go here. Big party school because well there is nothing in Ellensburg.

WSU - Is also a party school and fits the "State School" tropes pretty well. Most of my family if they have gone to college have gone here and it can provide a good education. They are decent and have good programs ,but it does have a "lower prestige" if that means anything to you compared to UW. However you will still get a good education and if you want too you can do the whole college debauchery very well here and if you survive get a respectable if not prestigious degree. Also remember for tech jobs Paul Allen went here and he is the second richest man in Washington! and they have a good CS program for the school type.

UW - Good school , generally hard to get into instate if you aren't Asian or have an incredibly good application. (Okay the asian bit is a bit racist ,but every single one of my korean friends who applied got in and only one of my white friends did). My aunt is also a professor here and it is a good school, however it is huge. For your first few years expect big classes, and you wont be able to declare your CS major I think until your junior year or so... also living in Seattle can be expensive ,but it is an awesome place if you get in from my friends who are there. Less of a party school than CWU & WSU

PLU- Don't know too much seems like a good school I have a friend from highschool who is going there ,but he has stopped talking to all of our group from highschool so no real details.

Western - Fairly good school, standards to get in seem to have gone down in recent years, however if you are interested in teaching they have a really good teaching program that alot of people go into. Essentially I would say Western is to UW what Central is to WSU

Eastern - I don't know, I just know when I was little the Seahawks used to do their summer training camp here.

Seattle U - Well I dont know anyone who went here, my one friend who did get in err... well I guess died before attending. Overall a good school ,but expensive and if you want to go to school in Seattle I would pick UW. (It is a small catholic school which means fairly small classes and personal education ,but also more snooty and youll have to take mandatory religion classes)

UW Sattelite Campuses - Are good ,but you wont get the "college" experience if thats what you want almost everyone who goes to these lives at home and commutes in.

Gonzaga - The other catholic school, they have their basketball team which is good usually if your into sports. Spokane kinda sucks ,but it is bigger than Bellingham/Pullman/Ellensburg so there are non school things to do. They have a good engineering and cs program I think it is second to UW. Also catholic so similar to Seattle U. Lots of rich white kids go here and it is expensive as well. I applied here, however did'nt get much in scholarship money so went to the University of Portland instead... if they gave me more money I would probably be there.

UPS - Its in Tacoma and I know no one who went there and know little about it except its a liberal arts college.

Community Colleges - I did Running Start so I went to Highline CC when I was 16 its a good cheap way to get credits to transfer if your worried about cost. Most classes are fine to transfer and of comparable quality (at least for most non-science math courses) ,but be careful the ones you could go too Highline/Green River/Tacoma CC. all operate on quarters instead of semesters, because UW does quarters and its the big dog of our region.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

warderenator posted:

Honestly just tour some campuses and pick the place that feels best. Job prospects for CS majors are pretty good right now, but that could change so make sure you pick something you enjoy and are good at.

This is important I essentially wasted an entire year trying to make engineering work for me, try to find something you enjoy and if you find yourself burned out in your major once you go to school always have alternate options and don't be the guy who decides his junior year he always wanted to major in dolphinology from comp-sci. Also yeah about the UW Comp-Sci program being selective, I think they only admit a select number of applicants to the program per year, I know that was the case for their engineering school when I toured there.

A good thing if your interested in science and math degrees is generally take a broad spectrum your first year or so that you can apply as electives if need be to your major... I mean I am getting a degree in accounting and finance ,but I took an entire year of chem which counts for my "hard science" electives yay!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

-Blackadder- posted:

doc even said I probably have Seasonal Affective Disorder, (apparently Washington has one of the highest rates of SAD in the country).

What are these so called seasons, my years revolve around rain time, cold rain time, strange occasional snow day time, and uncomfortable hot time... with rain.

-Blackadder- posted:

As far as campus life goes the consensus seems to be that WSU is generally more beer themed and WWU is generally more weed themed.

It's Washington there will be weed everywhere, I don't smoke and I know far to many stoners and hell my school actually will expel you for smoking weed and they are pretty blatant. (Admittedly this is in Oregon and a Catholic University)

• Locked thread