Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Phone posted:

Come to NC and buy my Mazda2. :getin:

I have no idea what I want to step into next. I'm honestly losing enthusiasm for working on cars.

I think I'm having an existential crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha. But working on cars is FUN!

My Miata has been on jackstands for two weeks because I can't get motivated (or parts) to get poo poo done. gently caress cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Haha. But working on cars is FUN!

My Miata has been on jackstands for two weeks because I can't get motivated (or parts) to get poo poo done. gently caress cars.

Time to buy a Camry.

I wish I was joking.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Why do you think I own a Camry and a Miata.

The Miata is just at the point where it needs a ton of maintenance at 120k (brakes, ball joints, rod ends, TB/water pump) once I get off my rear end and do it, it will be good for 60k. Also wiring in a new stereo system isn't all that fun either.

I barely touch the camry, and that's the way I like it.

[edit] Oh yeah, I just found out AFTER I put the carpet back in that the headrest speaker wiring is hosed so I have to rip out the carpet again, start from scratch and run all new wires! :smithicide:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 2, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
As silly as it sounds my soccer mom mall mobile (denali) is stupid reliable. I had to do a oil sender on it today and I wanted to come unglued because "I had to do something to it". I don't do squat other than feed it gas and change the oil.

A reliable DD is worth its weight in gold.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Time to buy a Camry.

I wish I was joking.

I'm ready for something dull and boring too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus, let's just all get Hoverrounds. What the hell do I start here?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rhyno posted:

Time to buy a Camry.

I wish I was joking.

Here is a secret I learned from owning a lot of cars: They all break all the time even Camrys. Owning a fun one means you develop a stockholm syndrome that takes the edge off.

I LOVE BUYING BUSHINGS FOR MY AWESOME GERMAN CAR

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

August weather better be better than July weather. It rained every loving day so now that I finally have a great running convertible I have to leave the god drat top up. Or worse, roll the dice on how bad the rain is gonna get before I pull over and put it up. A couple times I gambled and won, just got a little spit of rain before getting home into the garage - but last Friday I got absolutely hosed, I waited till it was raining really hard before pulling over. And to make it worse I sat there getting soaked with my finger on the top up button for like 30 seconds before I noticed that I forgot to pull the handbrake, so the top never moved.

Probably the only area where my Saab convertible was better than my Volvo convertible - The top went up or down in about 8 seconds, and you could do it while moving. In the Volvo it has the hard tonneau that moves incredibly slowly, and even with the handbrake up one click, if the ECU detects ABS tone ring activity it signals the top mechanism to stop moving.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Personally I just can't wait til the weather starts getting cool.

You know, February.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Man, July weather has been awesome here. Averaging between 70's - mid 80's and usually with a nice breeze on top. It's been making this maintenance job super nice.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

8ender posted:

Here is a secret I learned from owning a lot of cars: They all break all the time even Camrys. Owning a fun one means you develop a stockholm syndrome that takes the edge off.

I LOVE BUYING BUSHINGS FOR MY AWESOME GERMAN CAR

Here's a secret I learned: Buy cars that break less often, and you have more time for things that are actually fun!

Or more time to work on the house instead :smith:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I was thinking my Volvo wagon has gotten too reliable and boring. So I think I'm going to do a 3in exhaust, lower it some more, and turn up the boost even more.

That and I'm actually working on the BMW this weekend so I can drive it in a month when the monsoons finally stop.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Remember me bitching about the glucose meter I had giving completely random and unpredictable readings?

I was right. :colbert:

Picked up this, from WalMart of all places (they beat Amazon by nearly $15). Already had strips on the way since I'd ordered the very basic Contour Next (... turns out it'll cost more to return than I paid for it, so it's a spare now).

Pretty consistent readings from it so far. It's been in the 100s (mostly lower 100s), only straying outside of that when I had a huge lunch and a MURIKAN sized Dr Pepper (32 oz).

If anyone local wants a basic Contour Next, new in box (opened only to verify contents), it's yours.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I can't wait to get a Ranger and sell my Redline to someone who will do something with it. I have no idea why I'm excited to get way less gas mileage and to drive a not as fun car, but I think the main reason I am is because I, too, am tired of expensive tyres and maintaining. That being said of course I finished fixing everything and burned out on the car right when it's ready to be enjoyed as a reliable daily driver :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllo August thread!

Go see Guardians of hte Galaxy, it's bloody good

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tusen Takk posted:

I can't wait to get a Ranger and sell my Redline to someone who will do something with it. I have no idea why I'm excited to get way less gas mileage and to drive a not as fun car, but I think the main reason I am is because I, too, am tired of expensive tyres and maintaining. That being said of course I finished fixing everything and burned out on the car right when it's ready to be enjoyed as a reliable daily driver :v:

Sometimes you just need a truck.

I wouldn't mind an IRL drivetrain, but I would very much mind losing the sunroof and getting what I consider to be ugly as hell bumpers. :smith: Also not a fan of leather.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My uncle, who thinks doctors are only out to rip him off, and swears he's the picture of perfect health (despite drinking a 12 pack a day for ages, and cutting off half a finger a few years ago with a table saw...)

... had a pretty bad heart attack overnight. Doctors are saying triple or quad bypass will be happening, if they can get him stable. He hasn't been to the doctor in over 20 years; I suspect his blood work will make me look like a perfectly healthy 18 year old by comparison (I have diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure, along with being a good ~25 pounds overweight).

I was on the phone with mom when she started to say "I don't want to say I told you you should have gone to the doctor, but I told you s" which was quickly interrupted with a "oh gently caress off". :haw:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fucknag posted:

Personally I just can't wait til the weather starts getting cool.

You know, February.

Why don't you come up here and say that?

They found a guy yesterday who died while hiking out in the glacier park. He'd been missing for nineteen years until someone stumbled upon his frozen body.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why don't you come up here and say that?

They found a guy yesterday who died while hiking out in the glacier park. He'd been missing for nineteen years until someone stumbled upon his frozen body.

Was he wearing clothes by Eddie Bauer?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

My uncle, who thinks doctors are only out to rip him off, and swears he's the picture of perfect health (despite drinking a 12 pack a day for ages, and cutting off half a finger a few years ago with a table saw...)

... had a pretty bad heart attack overnight. Doctors are saying triple or quad bypass will be happening, if they can get him stable. He hasn't been to the doctor in over 20 years; I suspect his blood work will make me look like a perfectly healthy 18 year old by comparison (I have diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure, along with being a good ~25 pounds overweight).

I was on the phone with mom when she started to say "I don't want to say I told you you should have gone to the doctor, but I told you s" which was quickly interrupted with a "oh gently caress off". :haw:

Good luck STR. Your life as of late seems like it's a mess.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Jesus, it's August already? That means my birthday is only a few days off. Trying really hard to get excited about that.

I'm happy I have the Corolla, it only wants an oil change occasionally. I still don't have the motivation or money to fix my handful of other busted heaps though. I'd sell some off but I'd only be getting scrap prices for them and they are all solid chassis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terrible Robot posted:

Jesus, it's August already? That means my birthday is only a few days off. Trying really hard to get excited about that.

I'm happy I have the Corolla, it only wants an oil change occasionally. I still don't have the motivation or money to fix my handful of other busted heaps though. I'd sell some off but I'd only be getting scrap prices for them and they are all solid chassis.

How old you gonna be man?

I started browsing "boring" cars last night. Kept coming back to poo poo like the Genesis or the G8.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

How old you gonna be man?

I started browsing "boring" cars last night. Kept coming back to poo poo like the Genesis or the G8.

I'll be 24, which I realize isn't old, but I generally hate everybody in my age group and feel like I should be sitting on a porch waving a cane at those drat kids most days. I'm hoping things will improve as I get older, but based on what my generation has been doing, I really doubt it.

Also it seems you don't actually want a boring car, you are just bored with your current project and want another. It happens.

I would totally buy the MS6 off you if I could, a buddy in college had one and I loved the hell out of it. Last I spoke with him it was at nearly 400whp.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 2, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Terrible Robot posted:

I'll be 24, which I realize isn't old, but I generally hate everybody in my age group and feel like I should be sitting on a porch waving a cane at those drat kids most days. I'm hoping things will improve as I get older, but based on what my generation has been doing, I really doubt it.

You get out of life what you tolerate bro, live your life the way you want to and don't worry about the idiots.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The people I consider to be my good dependable friends span 22 to 57, I'm 33. You don't have to get on with people your age if they're dicks.
I have a bunch of really good friends within a year or two of me, but it's not exclusive.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In Gremlin news my buddy and I are all set to pick it up tomorrow morning and hes thinking about making a project thread here about it. Apparently it has a working 8 track player in it from his conversations with the owner.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
you better have some tapes to play back on the way home or you hosed up. :colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Torn Quad Jones posted:

you better have some tapes to play back on the way home or you hosed up. :colbert:

ELO is the only way to go

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 243 days!)

Goober Peas posted:

ELO is the only way to go

Supertramp. :colbert:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Viggen posted:

Supertramp. :colbert:

That's a funny way to spell Journey.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Um, excuse me, but The Eagles? Take It Easy, Life In The Fast Lane... buncha classic rock scrubs :colbert:

vvv gently caress. Yes!

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 2, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently he just spent 40 bucks on black sabbath and dio 8 tracks on ebay but they wont be here in time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hit up a pawn shop or Craigslist. Someone has gotta have one for the drive home.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://earthriverrecords.com/8tracks.shtml

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Terrible Robot posted:

Way back in the mists of time when I was a freshman in high school, my best friend was a guy in his early 40's. It was kinda weird when he met my mom and they then briefly hooked up for a while.

I've always been a crotchety old man who hates young'uns and their idiotic behaviour, and I've only gotten more curmudgeonly with age. :bahgawd:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Going to look at this tomorrow with the GF for her first car. I want her to buy it so I can whip around in it without having to own such an embarrassing fabulous car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Go full Figaro. :colbert:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

:D That's what she really wants but they are all automatic so not the best to learn in. And they are all too much :10bux: Would have suggested an MX5 or cappuccino but figured FWD would be best for a new driver commuting in the winter when she passes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Manual swap using dead Micra bits! C'mon, it'll be fun!

The Cappo is great, but they rust like a motherfucker, and if she doesn't know what oversteer is, she'd soon learn.

At least it has a slightly better engine than the old 1.3 boat anchor.

• Locked thread