Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

P.d0t posted:

That's sort of what I'm thinking of, with all of this; is it possible to write a Race that is rich enough to cover all the mechanics and design space that a Class currently does?
I think it probably depends on the race, and monstrous races are tougher to make it work for. It's an important question to ask, particularly in the context of TNP, where your class is the entirety of your character.
I guess I don't really see the issue. Any of the above could be a class as long as there's design space in the system.

Elves could be anything from bladesingers to archers to spontaneous nature casters.

Dwarves would probably work well as the "stand your ground"-iest fighter types. Alternately you could take a page from WFRP and make them specialized in fighting big monsters (a la the Troll Slayer).

Undead would probably have a bunch of life steal and be really hard to kill, with a possible side of mind control shenanigans (vampire), spooky powers (ghosts) or disease (mummies, zombies).

Really, you just have to commit to a particular vision of what's iconic about a race (or build in options so the player can pick and choose to make it their own) and make sure the race-as-classes aren't stepping on the toes of the job-as-classes if you decide to have both. Basically, build them a mechanical niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

It seems to me there are certain kinds of skill usage, that roughly grouped can make up: knowing/perceiving things, doing things, and talking.
Honestly I'd say that your "talking" could be rolled up into the other two as well, but I generally come at these things from a goal oriented perspective. Though that could lead you down the path of Fate actions, e.g. Knowing Things often means Creating an Advantage, Doing Things could be either Defending, Overcoming or Attacking, etc.

Really, the reason Skill Challenges are awful is because any entertaining game needs meaningful choice, and SCs severely lack it.

You could take a look at Strike!'s Chase and Team Conflict minigames that are pretty good examples of adding choice to non-combat stuff.

• Locked thread