Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Effectronica posted:

I'm going to doublepost and tear apart the skill system at length.

4e's skill system is a mildly modified version of 3.5's skill system, with advancement rules being the biggest change.

There are a total of 17 skills. One is dependent on Strength, one on Constitution, three on Dexterity, three on Intelligence, four on Charisma, and five on Wisdom. We could go into more detail about why a muscular dude is worse at intimidating people than a scrawny charmer, or how a fighter is likely worse at knowing the streets than a paladin, but these are mainly quibbles comparatively. More pressing is that classes have unequal access to skills, and where those sorts of critiques become meaningful is that certain classes are required to be trained in certain skills "appropriate to the concept" and all of them have more or less limited access to the skill list, more for martials and less for arcanes.

Even this is secondary. Yes, it is bullshit that fighters are required to be dumb jocks, but even without these awful and stupid restrictions, there is still the basic structure of the skill system to contend with.

Yeah, I have much the same beefs with skills as you;
  • Your combat stat dictates the skill(s) you'll be best at
  • Your secondary (and possibly tertiary) ability scores may not even line up with your Class Skills list at all

This is a big gripe of mine with some classes, in addition to having to try and balance out your spread so that your defenses are on par. Warpriests and Sentinels come to mind, where your tertiary stat could either be DEX or INT but oh hey, look at all those DEX skills on your class list :downs:

And that's the other thing; the DCs are such that you have to be trained AND have a high stat to really be good at a skill. IMHO they should have had those things be mutually exclusive, not stacking.

I think 5e was onto something when they did stuff like "Half-Orcs get advantage on Intimidation" (which I think they have since walked back, but w/e) and flirting with de-coupling skills from ability scores. But of course they got cold feet.

thespaceinvader posted:

I always thought DtAS was about attack scaling, not skill checks. I kinda like the attribute system when it comes to skills, but I think the non-combat utilities ought to go further, maybe even to the point of having a separate non-combat class...

Combat stat requirements determining your out-of-combat efficacy is definitely a big DTAS talking point, if not the biggest or the only one. However you wanna split up those maths is sort of a personal design choice.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Send in the Clones
SteakPunk: Extreme BBQ RPG
- a P.d0t and Error 404 joint

Drawing on the mechanical framework of:
The Unnamed RPG | (Character Creation Advice)
- by P.d0t

So, my game began its life as something completely different, but in the past 2-ish years has evolved into an attempt to simplify and streamline 4e. I could go into detail about the previous intentions and incarnations, but this is a thread about 4e clones, so I'll focus on how this game fits the bill.

4e does a good job of keeping the math within expected bounds (assuming you have an 18 in your primary and whatnot). Until it gets bloated and power creep starts to happen.Also, feat taxes. People harp on feat bloat all the time, but powers get little mention in that regard. I once had a friend whip up a cleric for me; I had 2 encounter powers that did exactly the same damage, except one was "an ally can spend a healing surge" on a hit, and the other was as an Effect. Seriously?
So, keep the game tight and simple.

Attributes
Unnamed RPG uses 3 attributes, with very narrow, defined ranges, that set the mathematical framework for your character. That's it; they don't tell you how smart or strong or you are. They just provide math. They are unnamed; the distinction the rules makes between them is which is Highest, Middle, and Lowest.
It is intended that each possible array have benefits and drawbacks, but all will be equally playable and not gimp your math; as a designer, I tried to idiot-proof it, basically.

Powers
I think powers as a formatting method are a useful way of dispensing game rule information; working on SteakPunk, it was so much easier to be able to acknowledge "hey this is a knockoff, so I can format this as a power and use 4e verbiage" whereas in The Unnamed, I tried to write everything out in sentences, hoping people unfamiliar with 4e could pick up on the rules easier.

That said, I kind of balked at the idea of having to have as many powers as 4e does to flesh out the classes. I wanted to make something more "universal" if for no other reason than I am :effort:. It also allows each class to more easily fill different roles in a party, which allows you to break down the 4e-ism of "you need to have 5 PCs and preferably all 4 roles."

Equipment
Also, weapons are greatly simplified. Somewhere along the way, I decided I had no use for the typical polyhedral dice set, and set myself on using only d6s and d10s. This eventually led to having only 1d6 and 2d6 as the weapon dice.

4e does a good job of keeping defenses within an expected range (especially compared to 3.5) so that was something I wanted to emulate. I struggled a bit, at first having a complex rock-paper-scissors setup, but as with 4e, targetting a weak defense was just an obfuscated "yet another +X to attack." So there is only one Defense stat, which is based on your "Armaments" (or, in SteakPunk, your "Approach")

The weapons and armaments are never given fluff; you can describe them as whatever you want. As with Attributes, they are just there to provide a mechanical framework.

Core Mechanics and Skills
Since there is a little bit of earlier D&D influence in this game, I wanted to have rolled HP be a component of your total hitpoints. This is what led me to the creation of the Advantage mechanic used in the game, which then later became expanded and applied to (potentially) all types of rolls; in SteakPunk, we actually changed the HP mechanic to something else, ironically enough, and I'm going to integrate that rule into future revisions to Unnamed RPG.

(an idea that may make it into future revisions is to allow write-in skills a-la 13th Age backgrounds, rather than everyone picking from a short, defined list)

I wanted to keep some sort of a unified mechanic, so 1d6+1d10 is kind of the default action. Where SteakPunk steals the DW skill/move system, Unnamed RPG has a homebrewed skill setup with its own math. Essentially you assign each of your attributes to 2 skills; this means you can be good at unrelated skills, as your skills are not determined the same way as they are with traditional Ability Scores. SteakPunk goes the other way, assigning your Attributes to Social, Mental, and Physical, applying those mods to the appropriate skills/moves (which is a setup that hews close to earlier incarnations of Unnamed).

Math
I didn't like the numbers bloat of 4e, so I stripped it down. The only numbers that go up are Damage and HP; you need SOME numbers to go up, so there is at least the feel of progression. A lot of times in 4e, though, numbers going up didn't even feel that way.
I made it so there are usually only 2 modifiers (max) for any roll: an Attribute, and sometimes your Tier level (essentially, 1/4 of your level)
No +X from magic items and etc. Situational bonuses are strictly based on positional considerations; powers either deal damage or inflict penalties, so there isn't the "there's always another +1" poo poo going on.

Role, Class, Power Source
I wanted to have these things all separate, so you can sort of build your own class. 4e started with Role and Class very heavily married together, and then sort of broke from that later on in the line.
Sacred BBQ separates them out straight away, and I decided to go that route, too.
I made up broad role abilities, that sort of emulate each of the different ways that 4e classes served their role. In SteakPunk, roles are given a passive benefit, and a key power, plus a choice of another power.

I simplified power sources into basically Martial and Magical (in the text, they're referred to as Classes - the Warrior and Caster, or Butcher and Grillmeister in SteakPunk)
The differentiation being basically "what can you do with weapons." There is no assumption that magical people have more influence or agency in the world; blowing poo poo up with pyrokinesis is pretty drat magical enough, magic doesn't need to do literally any/everything. This helps keep magic from stepping on the toes of the skill system; you can describe yourself being sneaky as I Am Awesome Rogue or as I Cast Invisibility, but everyone's playing by the same mechanical rules.

I also didn't think the formulaic "2/ENC minor action heal" that Leaders got was particularly inspiring; I decided to make Leaders more about enabling their teammates and got rid of the "also is the only person who can heal you" part. There is also no mention of the words "heal" or "dying" so that HP can be abstract. The Adventuring Day is likewise explained to be "any length of time" rather than a literal 24-hour day.

Another keystone of Roles, is that I didn't want the benefits that roles provide to be easily imitated by feats.

Feats
I wanted feats to be sort of optional, and the bonus feats provided by Armaments are intended only to help emulate "class features" of certain class/archetypes.
Some feats provide Advantage to certain rolls, so while increasing your odds of rolling high and raising your average results, it does not bloat the numbers ceiling with +Xs. Other feats let you use a higher Attribute in place of the default. It is important to note, that neither of these types of feats give you bonuses to attack or defense; the math on those is intended not to change (i.e. the "Bounded Accuracy" that 5e only pretends to do)
The third type of feats are the sort that actively expand what your character can do, giving you additional powers or augmenting your attacks in similar ways.

Would You Like to Know More?
Post here or hit me up on PMs!
Probably the funnest part of working on SteakPunk with Error 404, is it basically required me to teach him how the system works. If you're interested, I'm more than happy to go over it with you.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 16, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Seems pretty good, just make sure to do the math and stuff.

Having some "expected DPR" guidelines for PCs and then extrapolating Monster HP and Defenses (like MM3-on-a-Card or somesuch) is good poo poo and having templates seems like a good way to overlay Interesting Stuff™ onto the math-chassis.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

1. I'm not quite ready to go full DtAS, I want this to be fairly close to 4e mechanics with the obvious broken stuff fixed (feat taxes and such.) Of course something like the wizened kung-fu master I could do as a monk-type class that uses Wisdom for most attacks- in fact I think for most classes I will simplify in that direction, your prime requisite score is what you use for your major class stuff (and just say in chargen rules "Put at least this much there" a la Gamma World.)

As I mentioned upthread, having combat and skills tied to ability scores, you end up with "You're only really good at the skills tied to your primary combat stat"

Which, I dunno, maybe you don't worry too much about, but for me that was something I wanted to change for my game.

Like, 5e tries to do this by being like "well half of your skill proficiencies come from your Background! so they could be anything" but since Prof is a thing that stacks with ability mods, mathematically it doesn't really solve anything.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I dunno if this is terribly applicable, but skill/ability chat reminded me of a post I made in the 5e thread that got glossed over by skeleton-chat.

Short version: group skills into Skill Sets. You get proficiency/training with Skill Sets; individual skills within the set use different ability mods.

Sound at all interesting/useful to anyone here?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

wallawallawingwang posted:

I guess what I'd ask is what do you hope to do by keeping the sub-skills?

As I mentioned, this bit is more of an attempt at taking the 5e skill layout and doing something better with it. I liked the idea of mixing a a distinct skill with different ability scores to get a unique result i.e. Charisma(Deception) being "Bluff" and Dexterity(Deception) being "Sleight of Hand" or some such.

Instead, all 5e gave us was the groundbreaking innovation of Alphabetizing skills by key ability :downsbravo:

If the game is a 4e-alike, I'd actually be a bit more curious what you plan to do with all those juicy skill utility powers that were written but never used since they conflicted with your staying alive and winning fights utility slots.

I think non-combat Utility/Skill powers is better suited to class features than actual powers (see my quote below). I guess the problem is how close people want to hew to 4e design. Do they want the exact same power/feat progression? Or just something that "feels" like 4e and is a "spiritual successor" (I went for the later).

I know neonchameleon seemed to be specifically aiming to be compatible with 4e, particularly w/r/t to being able to use the Monster Math from MM3/MV. I on the other hand, just burned the whole thing to the ground and started from scratch.

thespaceinvader posted:

Based on the fact that this is aiming to retclone 4e, I'd say: GET THE MECHANICS TIGHT FIRST.

This is what I tried to to with The Unnamed RPG. At this point, I'd say it's less of a game and more of a set of mechanics. Check out the link upthread.
Basically, the combat math takes care of itself without caring how smart or strong you are. Hell, even the skills don't really care how smart or strong you are.

Tying into both of these posts, I had been pondering/panning an idea that would sort of be a more "fluffy" extension of some of the designs I've already posted. Here's what I got so far.

P.d0t posted:

I had the beginnings of an idea for a new game, and I can't get it out of my head. I've only just sort of begun to formulate stuffs for it, but here's what I've got. A lot of the ideas are DTAS and DW-ish so I thought it might tickle your fancy.

Each class has a "class die" which they use as basically their weapon die, HD, and for Skills and possibly other poo poo. This is mostly based of 3.5-isms (obvs) and I haven't crunched any of the math yet.

Rolling HP
Each level up, roll 2 of your Class Dice; use the higher result to gain HP. If the result is doubles, you gain HP equal to the maximum value of your Class Die.

Skills/Moves
Would probably be vs. a static DC or use a scale, such as in *World.

Mage (d4)

Iconic Ability: Magic Missile
You make a ranged attack against every enemy on the field. On a hit, deal 1d4+INT(or something) damage

Moves: Arcane Knowledge
When you attempt to remember a significant piece of information or lore, understand the nature of something magical, or when you try to solve a puzzle, roll 1d20 and 1d4; if the d20 roll is less than the d4 roll, you automatically succeed.

Rogue (d6)

Iconic Ability: Sneak Attack
When you hit an enemy, deal 1d6 extra damage for each ally Engaged with the target.

Moves: Arts of Deception
When you attempt a feat of agility or dexterity, or perform an act of deception or thievery, roll 1d20 and 1d6, combining the results to determine if you beat the DC.

Ranger (d8)

Iconic Ability: Twin Strike
You can attack two enemies on each of your turns; roll 2d20 and 2d8 for the attack and damage rolls, respectively. Use the higher result for both attacks

Move: Wilderness Guide
When an ally attempts to recall a piece of information about a natural creature, or tests their awareness of their surroundings, roll 1d8 and add it to the check.

Fighter (d10)

Iconic Ability: Defender Aura
When an enemy Disengages from you, roll 1d10 and deal that amount of damage to it. If an enemy Engaged with you attacks an ally, roll 1d10 and apply the value as a penalty to their attack rolls until the end of the turn.

Iconic Ability: Multi-attack
On your turn, you can attack multiple enemies. The damage from the first attack is 1 step lower than your Class Die (d8), the 2nd is 2 steps (1d6) and the 3rd is 3 steps (d4)

Iconic Move: Marshal
when you attempt a feat of Athleticism or Endurance, or try to sway someone to your cause or way of thinking, roll [blah. i dunno]

Barbarian (d12)

Iconic Ability: Cleave
When you hit an enemy, deal d12 damage to all other enemies engaged with you.

Iconic Ability: Rampage
When you drop an enemy, you Disengage from all enemies and move up to any other enemy. You then make a free attack against that enemy.

Iconic Move: Brute Force
When you attempt to destroy, damage, or move an object using physical force, or intimidate, threaten, humiliate, or cow a creature into submission, roll 1d20 and 1d12, and use the higher roll. If the result is doubles, you can use that roll or reroll both dice.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Fluff!
The world building fluff in 4e is, I think, one of its most under appreciated assets. But I'd argue that character powers (power broadly defined not a 4e power)aren't usually written in such a way to spark the imagination. Take the Stormwarden PP in the PHB. Its level 16 feature is: "As long as you are armed with a melee weapon and are capable of making an opportunity attack, two adjacent enemies (your choice) take lightning damage equal to your Dexterity modifier at the end of your turn." I get that rules need to be clear and concise. But I think having a greybox of text right above that clear and concise rule that explains what is going on in the fictional world would help with some of the bad listed in the OP.

Actually, if you look at the Essentials and Essentials-ish books, there is a ton of Stuff that starts with Fluff Explanation and then is followed by a "Benefit:" paragraph. I like that, particularly compared to having it all mashed together like a trainwreck which is the way 5e does it.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Uh, well, if you look at The Unnamed RPG, it does defenses as "everyone only has one" and you either add a big die and a small modifier or vice-versa, basically. Doing something like that might patch up some of the discrepancies in odds that your post talks about. But at that point, do you really want to have multiple defenses, if there isn't going to be much disparity between them?

As for Fort/Ref/Will, I often thought tying Will to INT or WIS, Ref to DEX or CHA would be interesting.
Most D&D people have an easier time imagining "Charisma as Willpower" and "Intelligence as reaction time," to justify the 4e status quo, but I just rethink it as "Charisma as Luck" and "Intelligence as mind power"

As for the post I made, I like the idea of "each class uses a specific die for everything." It seems to follow in 4e footsteps, where it's pretty easy to learn Your Class without needing to know how everyone else operates. As a designer, it requires a little bit more mental exercise to make the smaller dice equally useful, but I think results in-play could be worth the effort.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

And I've continued branching out and working out what the core engine does well.

I too am branching out (sort of), basically looking at doing a mashup with elements from Unnamed RPG and D&D5e.
The preliminary stuff has already been mentioned in this thread, here and here, and have been received pretty positively by my co-conspirators.

Basically, it'd be taking the D&D-ish skill system and breaking it into Skillsets, with Skills as a particular use of that skillset tied to one ability score.
For Example: Deception(Charisma) might be used for Bluffing, Lying, or Disguise while Deception(Dexterity) might be used for Stealth or Sleight of Hand.

Your class might grant you benefits with a Skillset or an Ability Score, or both, and would function differently based on your "class die." This basically would be a mashup of "Advantage" with things like Inspiration/Guidance and Expertise/Superiority dice.

For Example: a Barbarian might be better at STR-based checks and Influence checks to Intimidate; when they make those checks, they also roll a d12 and use the higher result. A Rogue might be better at DEX-based checks and Deception checks; when they make those checks, they add a d6 to the roll.

Click the links for some rough draft stuff. There's also some basic ideas for combat applications of "class dice"

EDIT: and NO, I haven't done any math on any of this poo poo yet; I'm too busy doing math for important IRL stuff lately.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 23, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I'd be interested to see your findings; as has been posted before in this thread, I just burned it to the ground and made my own formulas.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

The problem with the cost for Rituals isn't that they are too high or too low. It's that the cost starts out as extortion and becomes pocket change at higher levels and the rituals themselves become spammable. With 4e's exponential gold standard there is literally no way I can see to balance rituals using gold as a cost.

And I must get back to Trifold - but I also have in my head the seeds of Microlite 4e - which starts by taking my Trifold, using only d6s, and removing damage rolls (and dividing hp by approximately 4). Character sheets cover only one side of a page of A4 this time. Would this interest anyone?

I'm interested in basically anything Microlite, but doing one for 4e D&D particularly interests me.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I had been thinking of making the Monk a defender too, but this may make them too similar now, I'm not sure. The Monk's attacks are all Wis based so that's the main difference but I'll work on making them unique.

What's everything that ability scores do in your system? And are there multiple defenses?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
See... if you're gonna be like "fighters have to be good at STR which is rarely useful for Skills; Monks do the same thing, but they use WIS which is often usefulfor skills"... well, you see where I'm going, right?

If it's just 4e-ish "put the high number where you class demands it," maybe at least divorce combat stats and/or skills from ability scores.

There's also the "DEX-primary, light armor, Striker" trope..

It basically comes down to your usual DTAS stuff.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

3. Cap the number of powers a player can wield at any one time

This is already built into the game, barring magic item powers (which originally had its own cap built in but was later removed)
Once you advance in tiers, you start swapping out lower level powers, rather than just getting more. But of course grognards whined because reasons.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I'm hoping to get some feedback on this.

Basic concepts:
  • Your distinct D&D-ish skills are defined by an ability score and a skillset; these distinctions are used to determine which classes have "training"/"proficiency" with which skills.
  • Characters don't have actual mathematical ability scores, there are instead basic target numbers for attack/defense/skills.
  • A single "class die" is used for all of your class' HP, skills, and powers
  • The math is modified by using a slight variation on 5th Edition's Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic, and it's expanded to all dice, not just d20s

I'm not in love with everything in this, but I'm hoping to come up with a slick, lite game that you can "pick up and play."
The intent is that the combat would be very very abstracted (players always roll, monsters just move around and pick targets), maybe even expand upon that to make it DM-less?

Any advice is appreciated; comments here or on the Doc itself is fine.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Transient People posted:

Because it makes the Leaders less fun, is why. What a lot of 'solutions' to the hitrate 'problem' of 4e miss is that slapping down fuckoff huge you-only-miss-on-a-1 attack bonuses is super enjoyable, and the various benefits and features that let you help your pals and yourself out are so ubiquitous that that rule merely makes players miss more, not less. You don't want that poo poo at all, if anything you want a higher hitrate than 60%, period.

See, I like Advantage for this, because as people have said before "+1 either makes all the difference or no difference." It also keeps numbers from inflating, because 1d20 vs. 2d20k1 is still only ever going to produce a result between 1 and 20.

I think what gradenko is talking about (judging from conversation in the Next thread) is attacks and defenses scaling up at some obfuscated rates that appear different but aren't, with not a lot of practical benefit. If I'm adding my level to my attacks and enemies are adding their level to defenses, it only makes a differences if there is a level disparity. The "using the best of 2 mods" for defenses in 4e also only serves to bring everyone towards the middle of the curve; like, there's the targetting NADs mini-(meta-?)game but some might not see that as a feature..

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Azran posted:

I'm going to try and swap modifiers for dice. So instead of a +2 you roll 1d4, instead of a +3 you roll 1d6. Etc.

Actually, I guess I could post what I'm doing here after I'm done with my finals. 4e is its base, at the very least. :v:

I'm also onside with this, and there's some of it in 5e (Bless, Bardic Inspiration, Guidance, Resistance, just off the top of my head)
My design doesn't have much of these leader-y things going on, but I might try and work on adding it in.

An idea might be like, "your Bonus dicepool can only have 1 of each die" as an easy-to-use cap.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Would anyone reading this thread want to partake in some playtesting of this?
I'm thinking of posting a recruit soon, I just wanna see if I can get a person or two lined up ahead of time.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Obviously, though, the issue is how to have the ship have enough neat things to do so that nobody's on the sidelines. Obviously whoever's in the cockpit can fly the ship and use powers that let it do fancy maneuvers, you can have more than one gunner firing weapons, you can have someone in the engine room repairing damage or giving boosts, etc. Not sure that's enough, though. Don't want anyone trapped doing the boring stuff or just riding shotgun.

The first thought that came to my mind (and possibly yours too; this seems a little obvious) is if you're starting with 4e, try and emulate what the 4 roles would do?
Maybe this would work best if like, each PC can operate the ship on their turn, here's just some spitballing:

• Controller: operates the tractor beam or whatever you might use to forestall the big enemy ship/nuke a bunch of tiny ships, but generally doesn't do much damage.
  • Leader: go full-on support class. Maybe you could have different types of Leader that pair better with Strikers or Controllers or Defenders, or just have a universal one that augments whoever they're assigned to support
  • Defender: Maybe if you want it to be really granular, you can have them steer the shipman the maneuvering thrusters such that the area with the greatest % of shields or hull integrity or whatever takes the brunt of the next anticipated attack
  • Striker: perhaps try and break this down into like, Artillery vs. Skirmisher vs. Brute. So you have one that will try and keep the ship at distance and just plink away, maybe draining shields for more damage(:hellyeah:). Then you have another that would try and do hit-and-run attacks, scooting into close range and then darting back behind cover/latching onto the hull of the enemy ship/activating the cloaking device (:ninja::respek::jihad:). Or you can have the dude who's all "RAMMING SPEED! :black101:" that maybe hits like a truck, puts the ship in close proximity to danger, but has ways to soak damage (DR, temp HP, etc.)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Iny posted:

Thoughts? Am I full of poo poo? Is this all super ill-conceived or really superfluous or overambitious or, I dunno, something else?

This all seems fine to me. That said:
The best reason to hew close to the existing math is so that you can use the MM3/MV monsters (which IIRC was the intent with 4th Trifold) and specifically so you can more easily flesh out combat with below-level enemies. If neither of those are useful/desirable objectives to you (and I've put this fingerprint all over the thread) just throw out the math and start with something simpler.

Is there anything specific you're on the fence about?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was looking at the Dungeon Master's Screen from the Essentials line, and I stumbled upon a Damage by Level table.

Excerpt:
pre:
Level     Single Target     Two or More Targets
  1          1d8+4                 1d6+3
  2          1d8+5                 1d6+4
  3          1d8+6                 1d6+5
What's interesting to me is that using the MM3 Monster Math, the average damage of these die expressions match up pretty well to 3-4 hits to kill an even-level (Soldier) monster.

If one were to use these die expressions for W, how would that work out? Are there powers that don't base their damage off of W? Does W already naturally scale up to keep pace with monster HP even using standard rules?

If you're not already familiar with "MM3 on a business card" from Blog of Holding, google that post-haste.

In either case, what I ended up doing for [W] was basically 1d6+1d10+lvl (heroic), 2d6+2d10+lvl-10 (paragon), 3d6+3d10+lvl-20 (epic)
If you have poo poo like Twin Strike or Shield Bash on your monsters, just break that damage up amongst their attacks per round (Monster Vault Minotaurs are a good example, off the top of my head)
You can also convert attack rolls to 1d20+1d8+lvl

:spergin:

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 20, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
That basically lines up with the MM3 math, and some goon previously proffered that 5+lvl for PCs should cover half-level, ENH, feat, prof, and ability mod, IIRC.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Awww gently caress i was working on this big effort post.

tl;dr people with high AC and HP are harder to kill.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I know this has been discussed a bit in other places, but I wanted to know what (if any) solutions people had come up for for this, from a design perspective:

Utility Powers
One big criticism was that combat and non-combat powers were fighting over the same design space in this category and it kinda became lopsided.

So, what's the solution? Do you give all utility powers a combat AND non-combat application? Or do you just silo the things off and have 2 sets of resources? Scrap the whole thing and replace it with something else...?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ratpick posted:

Yeah, that's another thing: throughout this process I kept thinking whether I even should keep stats as a thing in this at all. I should probably look at other people DTAS projects to see if I can marry some of the ideas from those to this project of mine. I'm not 100% dedicated to the idea of stats, the main point being to make an ultralite but still distinctly 4e-influenced game.

I know you've stated previously (in this thread, I think?) that you and I had similar ideas for skills and stuff.
Take a look at what I've come up with; maybe we can bounce some ideas off each other.

Basically, I like the idea of flat target numbers (instead of scaling attack/defense and skills/DCs) stapled to "you're good at this skill because your class would be" (by using Advantage) rather than having ability scores cocking up either skills or combat or both.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Torchlighter posted:

Here's a question, are Races really all that important to how a character plays?

I mean, they're considered one of the three pillars to make up a character, but really, what they give from a gameplay perspective is:

1) a stat boost to certain attributes (useless in DTAS systems, pigeonholes races into certain classes, could be completely ignore by rolling the stat bonuses into the classes)

2) a vague series of skill bonuses (which is probably the first thing most people would get rid of in 4e, since it's a throwback design with little value)

3) a power (sometimes)

4) a variety of vague bonuses that mean very little (the dwarf gets pushed less. the tiefling has fire resist. the dragonborn hits harder when bloodied.)

Am I wrong in thinking that you could probably do away with a lot of this? it basically boils down to 'I'm Eladrin, I have a teleport.'

Also racial feats, but that's a different kettle of fish.

You could probably keep 3) and 4), and one of the Microlite versions I've seen (5e maybe?) had the racial bonuses boiled down in this way, which made it so that was what really set the races apart.
The floating stat/skill bonuses (assuming you'd even keep that sort of math in your clone) could easily be stapled onto backgrounds or rolled into the usual point-buy or whatever.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Covok posted:

Instead of skills, I borrowed an idea from a friend where you mix backgrounds and skills:

pre:
Backgrounds: Character pick X background at character generation. This background starts at a value of +1. 
Each background gives a list of skills. 

Skills: Players receive a list of skills from their background. 
They may distribute X points among these skills.

I sort of like the idea of grouping skills into lists, which seems like something you're angling towards with this.

Like, 4e seems to give Athletics, Endurance, Intimidate, and Heal to any sort of fightymans class skills (but of course ability score demands tend to dictate which ones you'll actually train)
And, each power source has sort of a signature skill (Arcane = Arcana, Divine = Religion, Primal = Nature)
Charisma seems to be its own skill group; you probably will have Insight on your list if you're supposed to be The Face, too.

Is this kinda in line with what you're thinking?

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 27, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Anyone still working on clones?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

I just finished up with grad school, so I can switch my rpg tinkering from thing I do to procrastinate to normal person hobby. So, sorta?

One of the big strengths of the OSR is, despite there being about million rules sets, they are largely compatible. Adventures, monsters, and rules modules from all different lines and the originals can all cross pollinate or at the very least provide a bigger pool of content to work with. I was wondering if that is worth trying to replicate in a 4e retroclone?
[...]

Thoughts?

I think it might be worthwhile to establish some sort of baseline, whereby you end up with "here's the math if you want Numbers to go up; here's the other way."
Maybe that's just me. Like, I appreciate that 4e's math mostly works, with only needing a few fixes (free expertise, etc.); a backward-compatible retroclone needs all the same math (like if you want to reuse monsters and such)

I guess the question is how compatible do you want it to be and/or what stuff you want to be compatible. Does anyone actually want all 4000 feats in their clone..?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Torchlighter posted:

Scimitar has high crit, meaning that it crits about twice as much... or on a 19 as well as a 20. Hardly a reliable or meaningful difference.

Before I read the rest, I have to point out that High Crit is actually "+1[W] per tier when you crit" rather than expanded crit range.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

:siren: Disclaimer: I haven't looked at "AC as DR" at all

That said, yeah. Having the TN for attack be the same is not a bad idea; same for simplifying the damage dice. 4e layers a lot of obfuscation onto basic poo poo like this, and when options allow you to circumvent those baselines, the game breaks.

I say this as a guy who groks 4e, and simultaneously has never played any "modern" RPGs.

STRIKE! seems to do most of this fairly well, it just gets gummed up with the separation of class and role, when you add in Feats and Kits, AFAICT.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Anti-Citizen posted:

I think less a bridge to far, and more a lot of the time really oddly specific rules are created to be "simulationist" but then don't reflect reality in any way shape or form.

Initiative is an abstraction because we're throwing dice at each other, facing rules being poorly bolted onto the game feel like it's trying to be "realistic," and usually over peanalize some characters over others.

Having experienced facing rules in Rolemaster, yeah I agree with the sentiment that it makes it feel like everyone is a really lovely robot.
Like, stabbing someone in the rear end for a megacrit can be satisfying, but the guy just leaving himself completely open for it seemed weird and fake and robotic.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
It seems like a matter of taste; everyone agrees they appreciate the fact that the math works. It just comes down to whether you want the math to scale up or not.
The "illusion of progression" is important to some people, but to others, it's not as important as having a game that just works, and is a medium for roleplaying and other PC interaction.

One of the things that makes 4e great is the Advice™, so why not have the math stripped down and just add more advice to support whatever you want the mathematically-balanced system to do?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

This was from a while back, but if 1d6+1d10+level is supposed to replace [W] in the heroic tier, what about caster classes with flat damage dice amounts? Would I continue using that same expression, read the power by-the-book such as 1d10+INT for Ray of Enfeeblement, or something else?

The way the "MM3 on a card" expresses monster "average damage" is like 8+level (if I recall correctly.) So all that means is they take the average of a die roll (say, 3.5 on 1d6) round it off, add a number to it til it becomes "8" and then add the monster level to it. That's how much damage a monster will do on like, an at-will.

The scaling xd6+xd10 is meant to replace that for monsters. Obviously, it gets a little screwy if you're trying to translate that to PCs, although I think Maxwell Lord's dissection of the math is basically
"[W] doesn't count for anything" and spell dice are just as pulled out of the rear end-hole.

I guess I need to understand what you're trying to do/use it for to properly answer your question.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Yeah if you wanna use the Powers in 4e, just stick with the normal [W]s. If I'm not mistaken, though, the PC damage expectations come out about the same as monsters, so if you wanted to build something from the ground-up using those expressions, it could conceivably work in a 4e-like framework.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I used a power-point sort of system in the first RPG I wrote up. I stuck with d6s and d10s for everything, so when you scaled up damage, it went from 1d6->1d10->2d6->1d6+1d10, and then just increased it by one of each die as you went up in tiers. Might be a handy tool for you, just for damage expressions.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Dunno if this is the best place to post it, but, I'm sorta pondering the merits of doing class-based uses of ability scores for utilization in some kind of heartbreaker.

The best 4e example that comes to mind is the Warden; everyone can use INT or DEX for their AC, but this class can use CON or WIS, depending on their build.

What if you expanded that out, to include basic attacks? "Wizards can use INT for their ranged basic attacks; Swordmages can use INT for their melee basic attacks." We saw some of this in the Essentials and post-essentials books (Thieves and Scouts using DEX for MBAs, Skalds using CHA)

I also kind of like the idea of using it for defenses, such as Paladins using luck in the form of CHA in place of DEX for Reflex, for example.

Thoughts?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Sanglorian posted:

At that point, wouldn't it be easier to blow up ability scores altogether? If the ability scores are so abstracted that any can be applied to any roll, just junk them.

Well, I think you could make the case that ability scores as they currently exist are useless without a system that allows for lego-brick multiclassing. I mean, aside from pigeonholing classes into only being good a certain skills and/or making sure they're lovely at at least one defence, that is.

But let's just say for the sake of tradition, you wanted to utilize ability scores. The other thing with standard ability scores, is they work really well with "d20, roll under" resolution, which I'm giving some consideration.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

'kill them entirely for combat stats, use a fixed progression for attacks and defences'

The Next Project leans this way, without having actual ability scores; the attack math is fixed for everyone, but skills and defence are done by class.

Another thing it does is give skills 2 descriptors: an ability, and a skillset. So you know how every fightymans class in 4e gets Athletics, Endurance, Heal and Intimidate as class skills (but good luck being good at all of them, because they each use a different ability score)? In TNP, those skills all fall under the same ability, just different skillsets, so if your class gets a bonus to that ability, you're good at all those skills.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going the other direction, for this idea I'm mulling, i.e:

thespaceinvader posted:

'all attacks use highest ability score to hit, second highest for secondary effects' then keep them for skills

Essentially, you pick the set of skills you want a particular class to be good at, then you make the ability score that is tied to those skills be the same one they use for their attacks and their main defence, for example.

Or, you could do it the other way around, like, "Paladins can use CHA for attacks and Reflex, as well as Insight and Religion checks." Sort of cherry-pick the skills you think the class should be good at fluff-wise, and tie them to the ability score that's meant to be their highest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
In some places, 4e struggles with dual-primaries, albeit almost exclusively in Essentials/post-Essentials. 5e is goddamn awful for it, as in 'don't even go there.'

E: VVV well yeah, that goes without saying.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 2, 2015

• Locked thread