Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megane
Jun 20, 2008

wallawallawingwang posted:

My personal solution to still wanting ability scores, but wanting characters to be good at things besides whatever their fighting stat is, is to just have stats like "Shooting" and "Fighting" in addition to the normal ones. Why is this guy good at fighting, that's up to you! He could be strong, or quick, or have years of experience; your normal ability scores or your fluff can tell you the specifics as to why. Wizened unarmed guy can have a high wisdom, or dexterity, or hell strength even, all that would matter is that he's got lots of "Fighting" that is what makes him good at fighting in melee. But that does add stuff. And each time you add stuff to a project like this it tends to become a little more unwieldy. Another option might be to alter the math such that your attack mod is 1/2 level + enhancement + feats and such, and then just leave out ability scores from the to hit and damage portions of powers. Maybe give powers riders based on your ability mods to create class subtypes and differentiation.

Alternately you could keep the existing stats (or some subset of them) and just rename them so as to be tied less to your physical/mental attributes; so melee dudes need lots of Strength Fighting, and sneaky guys need lots of Dexterity Technique(?). You can make a big dumb Wizard since having a high Attunement says nothing about how smart he is, just how powerful his magic is.

Then of course you just avoid basing out-of-combat skills on these in-combat stats.

e: It's nothing to do with the math, but I could see asking my players something like "I see you have a high Resilience -- why is that? Are you big and tough? Or is it all mind-over-matter? Maybe you were dipped in a magic river as a baby?"

megane fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

When I ran Exalted, which has skills and stats decoupled like that, I gave them a standing challenge to find a way to roll Strength + Bureaucracy.

Nobody came up with anything, tragically.

• Locked thread