Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

P.d0t posted:

One thing I've found myself bumping up against a few times with this, is when people request a class, and then I reply with, "Well I've never played one, can you tell me what it does?"
TNP is fairly... mechanically-exposed, I guess you could say, so I have to have a firm idea of what a 'class' does in order to write it.

What are some races that people clamour for? Forums-poster Ryuujin would be one person to ask (I should probably just buy him plat at this point :argh:)

Dragon(mans)? Lich? Manbearpig?

I think the most commonly desired token non-Tolkiens in fantasy games are: Dragonmans, Tieflings/demontouched, Warforged/constructs, Undead, Shifters/werewolves, and sometimes aquatic or flying humanoids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

P.d0t posted:

The werewolves and vampires, I think I can conceive of mechanics for (if not necessarily enough mechanics to be as fleshed-out as I would like, to make for a 'whole' class)
Changelings/Doppelgangers are also kinda hard to translate into a whole class; like, it works for a theme or a race (i.e. a layer of chargen that is more flavourful than mechanical) but I'm not sure "can look like anyone" parlays into a class' worth of combat mechanics. It certainly is a :can: if you're working them into a social-heavy system or campaign.

Warforged is one I really don't "get", and it might just be that I have a preconceived notion that what they entail won't translate to the system. Like, is not needing to eat/sleep/breathe a super-important feature? Is it being able to have extra/hidden storage, or arm-cannon things i.e. effectively being able to wield a weapon in a non-weapon slot and/or have easy access to neat minor-action stuff?
Same for Undead; so they presumably don't eat/sleep/breathe, and maybe are immune to crits..? Do they have a unifying/underlying fighting style, like, are all Undeads slow and shambly? If you come to me saying "I want to play an Undead," what's the experience you're actually looking for?

Tiefling and Dragonmans presumably could work, since as races in 4e they are already fairly mechanical to begin with, and then got a lot of support in terms of feats/alternate class abilities and such.

I'm speaking from personal preference, but for the cases of Constructs and Undead, the experiences are usually "I want to be a robot made for an unknown / defunct purpose with unique weapons and modular robotics" and "I want to be a cursed creature that lost natural weaknesses in exchange for unnatural powers and weaknesses."

P.d0t posted:

As a separate, related topic of discussion, would most PC races work as classes? Like if you were to write a 4e clone with "Dwarf" and "Elf" as classes, would that work? What would it look like? I know in Heroes of Shadow and Heroes of the Feywild, there are alternate utility powers for the races in those books, and PHB2 has racial paragon paths...

That's sort of what I'm thinking of, with all of this; is it possible to write a Race that is rich enough to cover all the mechanics and design space that a Class currently does?
I think it probably depends on the race, and monstrous races are tougher to make it work for. It's an important question to ask, particularly in the context of TNP, where your class is the entirety of your character.

I think that in the cases of Vampires/Undead and Shapeshifters/Lycanthropes, you could make a compelling Race-as-Class if you turned them into a more modular suite of abilities that expands over time. Like, an Undead chooses several aspects (bloodsucker, hard to kill, etc.) and weaknesses (slow, weak to fire / strong light). As they advance in experience and power, they can gain new abilities. IIRC in some of the earliest games of D&D undead PCs that moved from one type of undead to another as they leveled up were a common occurrence. Remember: any sufficiently advanced undead is indistinguishable from a demon.

Shapeshifters would also work in a similar way, where they gain new types of forms they could turn into or improve previous types as they level up ("humanoid disguise," "small flyer," "war-form," etc.). You could also simplify it into a "doppleganger" tree and a "lycanthrope" tree that have some shared core abilities but very different roles in combat and noncombat.

You could even conceive of Constructs as a class too, where they can incorporate magic items and weapons into their body and heal in unconventional ways, sort of like robots in Final Fantasy Adventure 2 for the Game Boy.

• Locked thread