Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Here's my very basic ideas scratchpad, FWIW.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sIfQ9v-k8qskwU0eu_8u75CMZ8nXNHWT77uW6Up6FdI/edit

Just one thing there: Wesnoth is The Battle for Wesnoth, a retro-style hex-based turn-based strategy game in which hexes Are Possibly Miles Across (HAPMA) which allows the game to pseudo-scale from single dudes dungeon crawling around the place, to full-scale army battles across entire cities, by assuming that the bigger the scale is, the more guys a single unit represents. So at battle-scale, the PC figure might be the PC leading a unit of people with similar abilities.

I always thought DtAS was about attack scaling, not skill checks. I kinda like the attribute system when it comes to skills, but I think the non-combat utilities ought to go further, maybe even to the point of having a separate non-combat class...

I just think the game should assume that all adventurers are at a baseline, competent people capable of dashing heroics. Everyone can wield a simple weapon, climb a mountain, run a mile, swim a river, hold a conversation without eating their own tongue, and know what the gently caress that wibbly arcane thing over there is, in a non-stressful situation. Your skills and class abilities tell you how good you are at it when the heat is on - time pressure, tough environments, expecting ambush at any time, etc etc etc.

I like the basic approach of 4th trifold though =)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oops, shared it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Based on the fact that this is aiming to retclone 4e, I'd say: GET THE MECHANICS TIGHT FIRST.

Flavour is relatively easier, doesn't need as much playtesting, and given the right structure (principally, doing something to ensure that narration happens before mechanical resolution) flavour is emergent from mechanics in a strong mechanical game. LIttle bits of fluff like that are cool, but also way too prescriptive. Having to build a bonfire in a windowless hut in a forest makes it impossible to cast in a desert or city, for instance.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's worth noting two things: big perks are worth lots of dice. 1[W]+Stun for a round is an excellent E13 for the hammer-using Fighter. And unless it's fixed in a putative retclone, 3x1[W] >>>>>>> 1x3[W] in terms of damage.

Die size is nearly irrelevant after mid-heroic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

On the contrary, ongoing damage shouldn't really be worth much at all.

If the party is being tactically optimal, things will die before they take it, and even if not, it's relatively unlikely to have much impact unless it's of MASSIVE size or the monster has vulnerabilities.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Doing 'I have to hit before you can hit' where the first hit does nothing is tough to balance. Staggering Note is probably the worst enabling at-will for a reason. Look at Direct the Strike.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If I were redesigning it I'd look at making Direct the Strike just be 'an ally within 5 of you makes a basic attack' or 'an ally makes a basic attack against an enemy within 5' - I always find the multiple ranges on it confusing to remember which is which, and they rarely matter enough to bother with. Take one of them away entirely, and balance the range with the fact that it's not giving any buffs by default.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There aren't really any. Plenty of 'ignore cover' which could be fluffed as destroying it, but systematised destruction of cover in an attack power isn't something 4e ever did TTBOMK.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Check out how Longtooth Shifters work. That's basically what you're looking for.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

My general thought with scores is either 'kill them entirely for combat stats, use a fixed progression for attacks and defences' or 'all attacks use highest ability score to hit, second highest for secondary effects' then keep them for skills. The problem with that being you're still heavily pushed to have at least two high scores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Basically, the way to overall fix 4e's damage scaling had a lot of debate, but for me the most satisfying was 'only apply damage bonuses once per action' - so Twin Strike would be 2 attack rolls, one gets 1[w], one gets the damage bonuses. Then you can split them or not at your discretion.

But really, if I was fixing 4e with a complete rebuild, I'd probably cull rolled damage altogether. It slows the game down and complicates the rules writing to very little benefit overall.

• Locked thread