Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

P.d0t posted:

Tying into both of these posts, I had been pondering/panning an idea that would sort of be a more "fluffy" extension of some of the designs I've already posted. Here's what I got so far.

Huh, weird coincidence. I've been working on a 4e-inspired dungeon-brawler of my own where abilities are expressed as dice from 1d4 to 1d12. However, my idea isn't quite as ambitious as yours.

First of all, my game has ability scores. Yeah, I know. Boo and hiss. But what I'm trying to go for is that everything is an ability check. All attacks are ability check vs. ability check, out of combat you have ability checks versus a GM-assigned difficulty die (1d4 for routine stuff, 1d12 for really hard to pull stuff). Skills are present, but what Skills do is "In an out-of-combat situation, mark a Skill to gain advantage on an ability check. Once you've marked all your Skills, you gain a benny." Advantage works just like in 5e, so roll two dice and use the better result.

The idea is that I want something inspired by 4e's grid-based combat engine, but without all the exploding numbers. Basically, trying to do the flatter math of 5e with a 4e'ish combat system, where higher level monsters are not necessarily marked by bigger numbers but by having more varied attacks and tactics.

Some things I'm currently struggling with:

My original intent was to have each ability score be its own defense, the way 5e does it. However, this leaves Strength, Intelligence and Charisma without all that many defensive abilities related to them, and comes with the problem of Dexterity being god-stat (because it can be used as both an attack stat with finesse weapons and ranged weapons as well as being a catch-all "don't get hit" defense). I'll probably revert back to the 4e Fort/Ref/Will system, where your defense is the best of a pair of stats.

I've been crunching the numbers a bit already, and even in corner cases like 1d12 attack stat (which should be rare, and reserved for really legendary creatures and high level charactes) versus a 1d4 defense the defender still has a small chance to succeed. In the most obvious corner case we're looking at the attacker having an approximately 87% chance of hitting their enemy, but were I to implement the above system of using the highest of a pair of stats for defense the chance of hitting a low defense (assuming a low defense of d6) on a d12 would be around 79%. While that's a pretty high chance of success, we're still not talking 3e levels of making the RNG completely unnecessary.

With two average characters (d8 attack versus d8 defense) the chance of a hit is about 56%, which I feel is desirable. The chances of hitting an equivalent defense hang around the mid-fifties, except at d4 versus d4 where the chance to hit is around 62%. However, this shouldn't often come up.

Damage is also something I'm thinking of. One idea I had was to have damage simply be the difference between the attack and defense roll. Haven't crunched the numbers as to how I want this to translate to hit points, but it seems like a solid starting point. This will, however, lead to a lot of situations where the difference between the attack and defense roll is 0. For these cases, the damage will be 0, but pretty much all attacks will have some effect that triggers beyond damage, only requiring you to match the attack roll with the enemy's defense. So, your Fighter might do their shield bash attack that deals damage and pushes the enemy, rolling a 6 on their attack. The goblin rolls their defense (probably Fort) and gets lucky, also getting a six. In this case, the goblin doesn't take damage, but is still pushed.

The biggest problem I've got at the moment is how to deal with armor and weapons. I don't want all too many numbers shifting around, so I might make choice of arms and armor entirely narrative. That said, I've already got a really simple weapons and armor system in the works, but it's very unrefined at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I've been mulling over a kind of a lite 4e clone based heavily on Microlite20. I've read the various Microlite20 based 4e clones, but they somehow leave me wanting. I'm also drawing heavily from Perils & Polyhedrals, a neat little Microlite20 variant with some ideas from 4e as well.

For an example, one of the recent ones I read had the three stats of Microlite20 (being Body, Dexterity and Mind) and for some unfathomable reason used both the ability score and modifier. These same stats were also used to derive other stats with different names (for an example, Fortitude Defense being derived from Body) when using unified vocabulary would do.

So, here are my tentative ideas for this Microlite4e clone:
  • Three stats, Fortitude, Reflex and Will. Fortitude is basically Str and Con mashed together, Reflex is Dex but with the quick-thinking and alert parts of Int and Wis as well as the quick-witted part of Cha. Will is the force of personality part of Cha, as well as the studied and devoted parts of Wis and Int.
  • No deriving modifiers from ability scores. Your modifier is your ability. So, instead of being expressed as Fort 13 (+1) you just have Fort +1.
  • Each stat has a corresponding defense which is just that stat plus 10.
  • Level-dependent modifiers are applied straight to the stats. This is just a measure to address the fact that the actual in ability modifier sans level-dependent modifier rarely sees use in 4e. One consequence of this is that, unlike in 4e, level-dependent bonuses will get added to damage rolls as well, but I'm okay with this. It should work out fine provided I sort out the monster math properly.
  • Advantage/Disadvantage from 5e. As much as I like 4e, keeping track of tons of different modifiers is a bit of a chore. Advantage/Disadvantage is one of the few things from 5e that I think improves quality of life.
  • For now, I'm sticking with four races and classes, namely the classics: Human, Elf, Dwarf and Halfling, and Fighter, Cleric, Rogue and Wizard.
What I still need to figure out at the moment:
  • Skills. Microlite20 uses a short list of four skills, being Physical, Subterfuge, Lore and Communication. While these are supposedly divorced from the abilities, they are actually very strongly attached to specific stats: you probably won't see many Will+Physique rolls or Fort+Lore rolls. I want a simple system where the stats and skills are easily divorced. One idea is to use 13th Age style backgrounds whereupon characters effectively come up with freeform skill packages.
  • The races. Looking at my list of stats and race lineup it's pretty easy to figure out the stats for all the races: Humans get +1 to any stat of their choice, dwarves get +1 to Fort, elves get +1 to Will and halflings get +1 to Ref. However, I'm not quite happy with it, because it drives races towards very specific classes and builds with little room for modifications. To address this I'm thinking of drawing from later 4e's idea of floating ability modifiers for race: Dwarves become +1 Fort or Will, elves get +1 Ref or Will, and for the sake of symmetry halflings get +1 Ref or Fort.
  • The classes. I want the classes to fulfill 4e's combat roles, but also because I'm going for a bit of a classic feel I also need to figure out how to marry classic feels with 4e mechanics. This isn't really hard with the Fighter, Rogue or Wizard, but with the Cleric I want them to have that old-school holy warrior vibe. This specifically means that I want the Cleric to be more a Battle Cleric than a Laser Cleric, and with that being said I just need to figure out a way to make them good melee combatants while not making them reliant on spreading their stats too thin between Fort and Will.
I know this is very up in the air at the moment, but any and all advice and critique would be appreciated.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

starkebn posted:

Could work, but you're keeping stats and so I'm tuning out.

Yeah, that's another thing: throughout this process I kept thinking whether I even should keep stats as a thing in this at all. I should probably look at other people DTAS projects to see if I can marry some of the ideas from those to this project of mine. I'm not 100% dedicated to the idea of stats, the main point being to make an ultralite but still distinctly 4e-influenced game.

• Locked thread