Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!
I wonder, exactly how compatible does a 4E clone have to be? I mean, I have my old 4E materials if I really want to get a game going: but I think I'd rather see an improvement of the system than a straight up port.

To that end, I think a lot of the math issues (feat taxes, etc.) could be handled by simply removing stat boosts and increasing monster stats at a rate of level/2 (same as PC's).

Or...you could use the D&D4 based Gamma World as a template and pare the game down to 10 or so levels, increasing player/monster stats at a rate of +level.

As for powers, you could both keep diversity and pare down the list by leveling existing powers at each tier, rather than replacing each with a similar, but higher-level power.

So brute strike is 3(w)+STR at heroic tier; 5(w)+STR at paragon tier; and 7(w)+STR at epic tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Lately I've been playing a lot of final fantasy games, and I've been enamored with the job system in FFV, FFT and FF Dimensions, wherein you master one job (i.e. Warrior, White Mage, Dragoon) and then transfer the abilities onto your next job.

I've been pondering ways to represent this in a tabletop game. Sure, the ala' carte multi-classing of D&D 3 and 5 are similar in concept, but switching from one class to another in D&D means losing out in one or the other. I want something where you can finish out one class, gaining all abilities therein, and then another and then another. I started looking at WotC's Gamma World (7E) and the structure of origins as a model for short term classes that have maybe 3-5 levels each.

I'm thinking of simplifying the classic six ability scores down to Strength, Agility, Intellect, and Will each with a corresponding defense (Fortitude, Reflex, Perception, Resolve) which equals STAT + 10. Bonus progression is either by level, or by Job. If the latter, balance the game math toward the middle so that mid-range bonuses hit high targets at least 50% of the time.

Things like your Cure, Cura, Esuna, Fira and such are encounter powers, while limit breaks take the place of dailies. Utilities are there too. I think I might use something like 13A's combat maneuvers for martial powers, instead of the AEDU format of 4E just to shake it up a little.

Not sure what to do about races. Maybe just a cosmetic consideration, our they get Job entries of their own.

The part I'm stuck on is deciding how many levels I want the game to be. I like the idea of a relatively short game, about 10-12 levels, but I could see extending it to 20 just because people like round numbers better.

The other part I'm stuck on is how powers should scale. I could scale it by overall character level, so the Thunder spell you took at heroic tier automatically becomes more powerful by epic tier and characters don't lose anything by swinging from magic to martial and back. Or I could do it by class, so White Mage gives you Cure at heroic, White Wizard gives you Cura at paragon and Seer gives you Curaga at Epic.

Sorry for all the Final Fantasy terminology for those unfamiliar with the games.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

homullus posted:

You're probably better off with Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3E, since that actually used something like the job system. You have careers, and if you finish them, you get one ability from it permanently that you carry over into the next career. A small number of careers are restricted to certain races.

I can't handle the dice. Also, I'm not sure about 3E but I played a good bit of 2E and it does not capture the Final Fantasy vibe very well.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Have perks for each class? Like casters can maximise spell dice x times per day and martials get studies on their Melee attacks? Therefore spells don't become obsolete, but focused mages are better at Magic then martials are, and vice versa.

That's a good idea. Ultimately I want to find a way to reward both diversification AND specialization in a meaningful way.

• Locked thread