Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Wilde Jagd posted:

Just crib 13th age's background rules for a decent solution to the skills problem. DnD's skills rules were never all that great.

That solves the "which skills" problem, not how and when to use them. (Though, see this elaboration and this post.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Maxwell Lord posted:

With the Duellist powers mostly written up I'm thinking about the first class that'll be totally original, the Gunner.

The gunner is your heavy weapons expert and Martial Controller. They shoot big guns and there are two big things involved- area of effect damage (blasts and sprays and so on) and changing the battlefield by blowing up big parts of it. The second will be a little dependent on there being obstacles for the Gunner to properly turn into rubble but 4e's based on the assumption of showpiece battles in interesting terrain so I may just lean harder on that and make it explicit.

I'm also thinking about grenades as a resource for limited powers.

You could also just have powers that make "debris fields": 3x3 or 5x5 areas of difficult terrain. Another could be explosive powers that create a "giant crater": same as debris field, but grants full cover to prone characters in it against nonfliers/enemies at the same or lower elevation. (Does prone give a shooting bonus? I never played a shooty mans in 4e.)

• Locked thread