Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

So, digging into skills.

I've been thinking, temptingly- what if we at least started to dig into noncombat resolution with the same kind of vigor that 4e brought to combat? It's a little tricky because there's more room for intangibles and there's no measuring system like HP (to a certain extent this was what successes and failures in skill challenges are meant to be, but it doesn't quite feel right.) Still, there's some room for better definition.

It seems to me there are certain kinds of skill usage, that roughly grouped can make up: knowing/perceiving things, doing things, and talking. Some backgrounds I've been designing look groomed to be focused- the Noble is a social monster, the Scholar knows all the poo poo, the "Commoner" class is your working man who works hard with his hands, etc. I've been trying to come up with inherent abilities (before you start getting background/utility powers) and a lot of it is "get a bonus/reroll/automatic success every so often when doing X" kind of things. For a lot of those it's become useful shorthand to say "A Social check" and similar things.

I can't start to dig into the math until I get back to where my books are. But I feel like, perhaps, instead of trying to "fix Skill Challenges", the answer isn't to go further in detailing and balancing character's non-combat capabilities.

Any noncombat resolution system that wants to be as interesting as combat really needs something to provide incremental progress and partial success. That's what cumulative successes and failures tried to do and what HP would do. Even if HP feels like a weird way to measure a challenge, it's a weird way to measure someone's ability to keep fighting. So if you can live with that it's usable for describing how close a door is to being picked or just how pissed off an angry mob really is.

The other big part is having some way for the challenge to "fight" back at the party, costing them some sort of resources or inflicting some sort of penalty. Some of them could be passive effects that only trigger if the party does certain things like trying to intimidate a little old lady. Certain options could have serious risks or downsides in their own right. However different abilities can also help to avoid or weather any such consequences even if they don't directly help overcome the challenge.

Characters who are actually focused on overcoming a particular challenge are effectively acting like strikers. Characters acting to stop negative consequences are effectively defenders. It's also possible to envision roles similar to that of a leader or controller. So a wizard might still use magic but instead of bypassing challenges, it makes things easier for the other party members by giving them the tools to do things that would otherwise be impossible. Leaders could provide bonuses and alleviate negative effects for a while. Depending on the challenge type however, different characters might have different roles. It is a bit more contrived than nobles being good at social skills and the like but we know that role-based classes work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread