Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Game: The Lord of the Tower [CYOA] - Like Wacky Races, but with a tower.
System: Wingin' it.
Format: CYOA
Players: 6ish, but players ought to die pretty quickly!
Description: A mysterious tower full of treasure burst out of the ground a year or so ago, and a whole town has sprung up around it to watch heroes try to get to the top. Aiming for a casual, playful roguelike style - expect unfair deaths and rerolls and lots of player influence on the world inside the tower. Even when people die, the tower gradually unlocks its secrets, so even though they're playing as separate characters the whole thread is working together to get to the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Players: 2 slots left for Third Wave
Description: A mysterious tower full of treasure burst out of the ground a year or so ago, and a whole town has sprung up around it to watch heroes try to get to the top. Aiming for a casual, playful roguelike style - expect unfair deaths and rerolls and lots of player influence on the world inside the tower. Even when people die, the tower gradually unlocks its secrets, so even though they're playing as separate characters the whole thread is working together to get to the top.

Currently on our third wave of people - only one person has croaked so far, but that's just luck! Joining in this wave gives you a decent bonus to all rolls since you'll be going through floors that other characters have already passed through. It's rules-light and friendly (except for the constant threat of death)!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Players: 2 slots left for Fourth Wave Full up!

Currently on our fourth wave of people - currently 4 people have died, and one has quit, escaping from the tower due to despair as his wife's love for him was sucked from her very memory courtesy of a foolish choice he made! Joining in this wave gives you a decent bonus to all rolls since you'll be going through floors that other characters have already passed through. It's rules-light and friendly (except for the constant threat of death)!

edit: Filled up! Should open up again in a week or two!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 12, 2014

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Players: 3 slots left for Fifth Wave

Currently on our fifth wave of people... sorta. Some of the waves have caught up to eachother, and some have split off. At this point between people dying or otherwise fleeing the tower, we've lost 11 characters. The interior mechanisms of the tower are breaking down as people destroy them, making the lives of subsequent characters (usually) much easier. Joining in this wave gives you a decent bonus to all rolls since you'll be going through floors that other characters have already passed through. It's rules-light and friendly (except for the constant threat of death)! Most likely open until the 18th.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 16, 2014

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Players: 4 slots left for Tenth Wave
Description: A mysterious tower full of treasure burst out of the ground a year or so ago, and a whole town has sprung up around it to watch heroes try to get to the top. Aiming for a casual, playful roguelike style - expect unfair deaths and rerolls and lots of player influence on the world inside the tower. Even when people die, the tower gradually unlocks its secrets, so even though they're playing as separate Topseekers the whole thread is working together to get to the top. It updates something like three times a week, so ideally you can keep up, but you can specify an AI action at character creation and I'll just roll for ya if you'd rather I do that.

Currently on our tenth wave of people. The game world itself has been heavily influenced by the players - I started out with the barest sketch of a world and just let the players spin off from there. Currently there is a deep and entrenched race of Pastry beings living off on their own in the Pastry Mountains (who are accepted as normal people, alongside regular fantasy races (though no elves so far, somehow?) and animated stick figures. I know it sounds strange and borderline ridiculous, but it's played for the most part like a straight and sensible world that just happens to have odd stuff in it. At this point, 19 Topseekers have fled the Tower, taking their treasures with them. And then a further 30 have croaked to nefarious traps, g0dly interference or plain old murder.

It's 91 pages on, and may seem quite daunting, but you can pretty much ignore all of it if you want and just dive in with the summary I gave you up top. It's a good group, and we'd all fill you in on any information you need either in thread or in IRC.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Game: Sundown Run [CYOA] - Like Lord of the Tower, but with Wacky Racers.
System: Wingin' it, but more rules heavy than Lord of the Tower. Somewhat like a boardgame with RPG elements!
Players: 6/6 currently, but quick turnover expected as players die out.
Description: Astrilia - B-Class Garden World, second out from its star. The star - C12-Exen - is near its end. Chandrasekar mass limit will be reached in three day’s time, whereupon its core will collapse and rebound, bathing Astrilia first in a wash of neutrinos and assorted radiation, then - minutes afterwards - a wave of stellar ejecta that will scour its surface clean. Natives are Early Information Age: no interplanetary flight. Samples have been taken for potential further exploitation but the remainder shall languish on their doomed world…

This condemned world is the stage for this cycle’s Sundown Run, sponsored by Ascended Executive Supra-Corp RAMA! Thrill seekers, conscripted prisoners, adventurers and assorted badasses are all invited to compete in a race around the planet, knowing death is right around the corner - but if they’re fast enough, death’ll take second place instead.

My second CYOA after Lord of the Tower finished - this shares absolutely nothing at all in common except some slight mechanical similarities and possibly minor references. Certainly nothing requiring you to have played my prior game! Take control of both a Corporation hovering around a doomed planet in a high-end executive space station and the Racer on said doomed planet. Death is quick and common-place, but you can just hop back in the next time there's an opening! Even if you're not currently playing, you can affect gameplay by donating Points to impressive Racers which they can use to keep themselves alive in a hostile landscape! Heck, there's no need to ever make a Racer at all, if you want - you can be an Angel Investor from up on high, raining down your bounty. Very casual, with minimal work required from players - just give me a few rolls, and I'll do the rest.

Feel free to talk to us on IRC on SynIrc #madgod - I'm on often to answer any questions you might have, so drop by.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

dog kisser posted:

Game: Sundown Run [CYOA] - Like Lord of the Tower, but with Wacky Racers.
System: Wingin' it, but more rules heavy than Lord of the Tower. Somewhat like a boardgame with RPG elements!
Players: 6/6 currently, but quick turnover expected as players die out.
Description: Astrilia - B-Class Garden World, second out from its star. The star - C12-Exen - is near its end. Chandrasekar mass limit will be reached in three day’s time, whereupon its core will collapse and rebound, bathing Astrilia first in a wash of neutrinos and assorted radiation, then - minutes afterwards - a wave of stellar ejecta that will scour its surface clean. Natives are Early Information Age: no interplanetary flight. Samples have been taken for potential further exploitation but the remainder shall languish on their doomed world…

This condemned world is the stage for this cycle’s Sundown Run, sponsored by Ascended Executive Supra-Corp RAMA! Thrill seekers, conscripted prisoners, adventurers and assorted badasses are all invited to compete in a race around the planet, knowing death is right around the corner - but if they’re fast enough, death’ll take second place instead.

My second CYOA after Lord of the Tower finished - this shares absolutely nothing at all in common except some slight mechanical similarities and possibly minor references. Certainly nothing requiring you to have played my prior game! Take control of both a Corporation hovering around a doomed planet in a high-end executive space station and the Racer on said doomed planet. Death is quick and common-place, but you can just hop back in the next time there's an opening! Even if you're not currently playing, you can affect gameplay by donating Points to impressive Racers which they can use to keep themselves alive in a hostile landscape! Heck, there's no need to ever make a Racer at all, if you want - you can be an Angel Investor from up on high, raining down your bounty. Very casual, with minimal work required from players - just give me a few rolls, and I'll do the rest.

Feel free to talk to us on IRC on SynIrc #madgod - I'm on often to answer any questions you might have, so drop by.

Missing one Racer, currently - get in quick!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Game: The Fragile Gods of Somewhere
System: Wingin' it! My last game, Sundown Run, tried to go more rules heavy and I didn't dig it
Format: CYOA / Godgame Hybrid
Players: 5 Gods BUT other readers can pool together to influence their rolls for good or ill, so we need all sorts of people!
Description:
The world is a mutable, malleable thing. In the immeasurable vastness of the Ocean, tiny pinpricks of Something burst into being, only to vanish. Without a stabilizing presence, they are hopeless against the crashing waves of Nothing. Without Gods, Something has no hope.

Gods float above the Ocean, droplets of dew against its immensity. Without worship, they perish, snuffed out. Small crumbs of Something draw countless Gods, feeding on eachother and on the life they nourish with their presence. All are doomed to return to the Ocean, but for a time they grow strong and fat, and it is enough. Without Something, the Gods have no hope.

Something new has risen from the foam. Something big. Somewhere. Unmolded, untouched by divine powers, it floats on the Ocean, drawing forth ever more matter with its gravity. Bounty beyond reckoning for any God strong enough to take it. Nothing like this has ever been encountered before - enough Something for dozens of Gods, or hundreds. But not all at once, oh no - it would have to be carefully rationed...

This is my 3rd CYOA that I'm running - it will be fairly fully illustrated and very casual. You should be able to drop in at almost any time and not have missed out on anything - or just lurk in the thread and look at pictures!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Game:
System: Wingin' It!
Players: Unlimited

Take the reins of someone who can do anything - if the dice are on their side.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Great Malvolio Comes To Town! [Daredevil Mini-CYOA]

A probably very short, definitely very silly CYOA about the mind-boggling acts of death-defying do by the Great Malvolio! So far he's survived a trip off the edge of a waterfall. Made of jet fuel. In a swan boat. Full of swans.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Dog Kisser posted:

Game: The Fragile Gods of Somewhere
System: Wingin' it! My last game, Sundown Run, tried to go more rules heavy and I didn't dig it
Players: 5 Gods BUT other readers can pool together to influence their rolls for good or ill, so we need all sorts of people!
Description:
The world is a mutable, malleable thing. In the immeasurable vastness of the Ocean, tiny pinpricks of Something burst into being, only to vanish. Without a stabilizing presence, they are hopeless against the crashing waves of Nothing. Without Gods, Something has no hope.

Gods float above the Ocean, droplets of dew against its immensity. Without worship, they perish, snuffed out. Small crumbs of Something draw countless Gods, feeding on eachother and on the life they nourish with their presence. All are doomed to return to the Ocean, but for a time they grow strong and fat, and it is enough. Without Something, the Gods have no hope.

Something new has risen from the foam. Something big. Somewhere. Unmolded, untouched by divine powers, it floats on the Ocean, drawing forth ever more matter with its gravity. Bounty beyond reckoning for any God strong enough to take it. Nothing like this has ever been encountered before - enough Something for dozens of Gods, or hundreds. But not all at once, oh no - it would have to be carefully rationed...

This is my 3rd CYOA that I'm running - it will be fairly fully illustrated and very casual. You should be able to drop in at almost any time and not have missed out on anything - or just lurk in the thread and look at pictures!

The Gods rise, and then they die. Seven Ages have passed in which the Gods have shaped the world and then perished. Seven Ages have passed in which the world has gone on without them, waiting for them to return. A world which began like this:

Has through many trials and much effort come to look like this:

The Eighth Age is upon Somewhere. The prophesied End of the world. Will you be the God that steers them away from the End? Or towards it?

(God Applications are open - feel free to apply then read or just get in there and wing it.)

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Game: City of Drums: A Hollow Knight Story
System: Homebrew/PBTA-alike.
Format: PBP/Discord
Players: 4-5
Description: Looking for (ideally) people who have played and enjoyed Hollow Knight. Want to do a short-and-sweet campaign in a slightly different locale set in the same world. Come prepared to become a little bug in a dark and gloomy world that happens to be a kingdom forged out of nuclear waste disposal barrels and probably to get your character drawn in the Hollow Knight style.

The system I'm using isn't precisely tailored for this game, but I think it'll work with minimal changes, and it's pretty pared down as far as PBTA's go. So even if you're new to play by posts or rpgs, feel free to drop on by and try out.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Game:

System: Homebrew - roll 1d100 and add your roll to your allies in the horde. Roll high for glory in combat, roll low to be a garbage failure.
Format: PBP/CYOA
Players: Up to 100! The Horde begins one hundred strong, though mostly they're NPCs. As people join - any time in the game, mind you - the faceless mooks that have been there the whole time turn out to have been PCs! This also means if you die you can just take up another slot - and you probably WILL die.
Description: Alright maggots, get your rears in gear! The Horde needs your warm bodies to defend the sacred kingdom of Tö! Throw yourselves up against the savage Fröman hordes and save your country... or die in glorious battle! Individuals play as members of the Horde, and take actions in battle or in preparation that will influence the fate of the Horde itself. Players ALSO get to vote on the Horde's strategies in a weirdly non-digetic manner, regardless whether they currently have a character in the game or not. Any number of people can join, as many times as they want (though only one active character at a time), and post as much or as little as they want. If I feel like updating, I'll just roll for stragglers, so the game won't slow down due to player truancy.

Also, you look like this:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You suddenly exist in a forest that wants to harm you. Adapt and overcome.

Inspired by (ripped-off of) Microbe, Selection is meant to be a quick game of iteration and response to threats. Very easy to play, as the first person to respond makes a choice of adaptation and guesses a card. The degree to which it matches the card drawn by the GM defines its effectiveness and guides the narrative. This also limits the game to 52 updates, of which we've gone through 4 at this point and gone from this to this:

...it hasn't been exactly smooth. Maybe you'll make better Selections?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Do YOU want to go on a POKéMON adventure of discovery in a STRANGE new world with STRANGE new Types and STRANGE new POKéMON!? Good, because I need grad students to come with me and catalogue this stuff.

This is largely an excuse to draw weird Pokemon and stuff. It's very casual and relies on the players to fill tables for random trait generation. I'm aiming to make 150 of the buggers, and I need your help! Click the picture for the link!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Hundredfold Box

You find a box. Tell it what you want, then open it. That's all.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You are a slave to a cruel Queen who is forcing you to delve a terrifying dungeon to retrieve something for her. Will you survive? Open recruitment, allowing just about any number of players.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Four hundred or so years ago a sorceress blasted a hole in her barony and wiped it of all life. Now it's a bone-strewn wasteland full of ambient necromantic energy...

So it's the perfect place to assemble a monster out of animal bones and have a fighting tournament!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Uncouth to comment on these, but pro-fuckin'-click.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Dire Inscrutable Engine
The DIE has returned, a massive golem that dwarfs even cities and tramples the landscape flat in its wake. It gropes blindly for treasures scattered across the land, heedless of where it treads. You need to stop it.

Ongoing open recruitment, so jump in anytime. Gameplay is simple hex movement and dice rolls, but hopefully with a large group you can actually do something against your massive foe! Don't get squashed!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

UNSEALED

Take control of an Unsealed, a golem warrior competing to see whose line will be used as the basis for the grand armies of your creators. Kill the others, claim their powers, and become the lone Sealed of the batch!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Started a silly SPACE ANIME cyoa game called PROTAGONISM. Join up if you want to vote on the adventures of Maxine Fighthard, mech pilot and occasional sufferer from Protagonism!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Not Even Light Escapes is a two person narrative game of the rise, growth, and clash of two great Stars, heroes among their respective peoples. The shape of your clash is up to you, but one way or another it’s going to happen, and it’s going to be violent. The game takes place over four Seasons, each represented by one suit of cards: Birth, Inspiral, Coalescence, and Ringdown.

Find yourself a partner, and we'll start you off with a session zero; a short collabrative seassion in which the players - not their Stars - hash out elements of the world; things to include, not to include, other expectations, in order to maintain narrative consistency. Next each player, taking turns with the youngest (or however you want) starting first, will draw a card from the Birth deck and respond to the prompt, fleshing out their respective Star. Once all cards are drawn, the next suit is drawn. Each Season takes place over a progressively shorter period of time - from years, to months, to days. In the final Season, the pull of either the Ace or the King will conclude matters - but the outcome will change dramatically based on the preceding stages. I can run as many games as we have pairs, so feel free to apply.

Good Luck.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 4, 2021

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

You are High Chaos Sage Pettifer Wylde. You have been accosted to perform a vital quest with your terrifyingly powerful wild magic. With a sigh, you unsheath your wand.

Fill a spreadsheet with spell prefixes/suffixes, then vote on which randomly generated spell you will cast to solve the problem at hand. Will you cast "Unnacceptably Chill?" Distract a goblin with "Sleepy Riddle"? Or conjure up "Salamander's Superheated Grim Pirates Rum"?

Also, I'll be MSPainting it because that's what I have on my work computer. Come join us!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Come explore Orokos!
Silly map exploration game, where players collectively vote on what a party of three Heroes set out to do to explore the map. The twist: the Heroes, quests, monsters, treasures and other stuff are randomized, drawn from a spreadsheet that players and lurkers fill out. Also some goofy illustrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Do you want to play rock paper scissors to decide the fate of a cybernetic bird who has to kill ten traitors in a neon cyberpunk pixel artscape?

It has also got some of the simplest mechanics you can get while still being a game! Join up for some CYBER FIGHTS.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Game: The Fragile Gods of Nowhere
System: Wingin' it! Roll 1d20 and see what happens to the people of the world based on your commands!
Description: A sequel (but no continual storylines or characters etc) to my original God game. It will be illustrated and probably pretty silly, though things got very serious indeed last game sometimes! Even if you're not picked (randomly) to be a God, you can still be a Wisp, influencing the rolls of the Gods and tweaking the outcome of their pronouncements. And then once their turn is done, you have a chance to become a God yourself (a chance increased by your earlier participation, no less!) It's good fun for an unlimited amount of people, so join up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Dog Kisser posted:

Game: The Fragile Gods of Nowhere
System: Wingin' it! Roll 1d20 and see what happens to the people of the world based on your commands!
Description: A sequel (but no continual storylines or characters etc) to my original God game. It will be illustrated and probably pretty silly, though things got very serious indeed last game sometimes! Even if you're not picked (randomly) to be a God, you can still be a Wisp, influencing the rolls of the Gods and tweaking the outcome of their pronouncements. And then once their turn is done, you have a chance to become a God yourself (a chance increased by your earlier participation, no less!) It's good fun for an unlimited amount of people, so join up!

Recruitment is open - a bunch of stuff has happened, the foundational elements of the world (rather than Fire, Water, etc) have been chosen as Ink, Pinball, Dinosaur, Axe, Ice, and Neon, and the world is only a little bit broken. Come play!