Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm glad to see an LP of this game. I picked this up on a Steam sale a few months back and found it very enjoyable. Although it's been a couple of months since I last played it, I wonder how my camp is getting on...

I always found guns to be a last resort option, a decent melee weapon can take out small groups pretty quickly. But guns are very useful especially in tight spots.

For those with reservations about being able to play this, my computer is about 7-8 years old and plays the game just fine on high graphics settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kicktorious.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You must choose the kick option in honour of your current country's most famed ruler; Queen Kicktoria of the U.K.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
A 30 shot suppressor means you can get 30 kills on the quiet, as the zombies usually aren't that quick. Especially if you picked the Firearms final ability, that poo poo is loving dope as hell and well worth giving to a character.

Without something special to get the zombies down, whether weapons specialization or reflex/powerhouse moves melee felt kinda poo poo to me. Even the tough weapons break too easy if you gotta keep pummeling poo poo and gods help you when the specials start.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
If I was ever pummelling something, it was usually an indication that something had gone wrong; ideal combat is basically knockdown move, then finisher. The rest of the melee moves do feel mostly useless, yeah.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

skoolmunkee posted:

I haven't done the Jacob mission because we're not there yet. :] The storyline will give it to us soon.

I probably will show Breakdown in some capacity, maybe bonus videos or a stream? Not for a while yet though, since it's essentially "utilize everything you learned in story mode." Lifeline I haven't actually played yet! I have a feeling it'll spoil the main story though, so I figured it won't come til the end.

Oh, I forgot that Jacob is shown as a member of the church survivors right away - I misremembered, sorry.

Breakdown would probably work best with a video to show off the heroes and how the gameplay changes - maybe a endruance run stream or something?

Lifeline is pretty great - the gameplay is a huge shift compared to the main game, but still uses the same mechanics. It's pretty expansive, with multiple endings, and it gives the world of State of Decay more depth, but the main game's story runs parallel to it, so it does spoil a lot of stuff. It's a really fun DLC when you get used to the changes though.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Antistar01 posted:

I love this game; it was game of the year 2013, for me. So when I saw this:

I was like "Ooh!" :swoon:

... But then immediately like "Oh." :smith:

I perked up and then slumped in disappointment so fast it was like a whole-body shrug.

You and me both. I hadn't even heard of the game until I saw an LP thread for it, and an MMO open world zombie apocalypse game like that on PS4 is basically my dream. Kinda like Urban Dead, but playable.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Antistar01 posted:

If I was ever pummelling something, it was usually an indication that something had gone wrong; ideal combat is basically knockdown move, then finisher. The rest of the melee moves do feel mostly useless, yeah.

If you go Heavy Weapons, it can be worth it to just smack away at some of the easier fights.
I think that's the weapon with the knockdown-chance, anyway.

I usually only did Knockdown-Finisher combos in dangerous fights and/or when I felt really bored of fighting, though.
It gets kinda tedious to do the same combo to every single enemy group, and it usually doesn't take THAT much longer if you've got a good weapon.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you, like, plant gardens or anything to help you get some more food, or are you limited to scavenging?

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Glazius posted:

Can you, like, plant gardens or anything to help you get some more food, or are you limited to scavenging?

Not only that, with the right facilities you can convert food into oil and construction material, and then convert those materials into bullets and explosives. Veggiebullets!

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Saint Sputnik posted:

Not only that, with the right facilities you can convert food into oil and construction material, and then convert those materials into bullets and explosives. Veggiebullets!

And to some extent you have to build farms to keep your stocks from running out while you're away.
The whole 'game progresses while you're away' is fun if you shut the game of for the night.
Less fun when you come back after a week's break.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

liquidypoo posted:

You and me both. I hadn't even heard of the game until I saw an LP thread for it, and an MMO open world zombie apocalypse game like that on PS4 is basically my dream. Kinda like Urban Dead, but playable.

I was actually disappointed by both the console focus and the MMO bit. I mean the console focus is to be expected - State Of Decay itself was a downloadable game on the 360 first - and I'd be surprised if this sequel didn't also make it to PC in the end... but still. I'm a :pcgaming: elitist snob, and ports are usually not ideal.

An MMO though... I've never been able to bring myself to play an MMO. It's all the... y'know. People. I don't like multiplayer games. It's sort of weird; I used to love the idea of co-op games, back when my friends and I played the hell out of Quake 2 in co-op (because that's basically all there was). Now we're spoiled for choice because every goddamn thing has to be co-op... but I think what I was always after was games with the depth of singleplayer that could also be played with my friends. That's not normally what gets made though; they usually come at it from the other end.

Anyway I guess this is to be expected too; any given communique from Undead Labs on State Of Decay was met with a barrage of "make it co-op!" comments.

:goonsay:, basically.

aerion111 posted:

If you go Heavy Weapons, it can be worth it to just smack away at some of the easier fights.
I think that's the weapon with the knockdown-chance, anyway.

I have come around to heavy weapons a bit more lately; I used to ignore them because of, well, how heavy most of the weapons in that class are. Limits how much you can loot (sort of). They do have this particular attack, though... but maybe I should let skoolmunkee get to that.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The easy fix for the next game being on the Bone is to get a Bone.

Let it work it's magic on you. Soon you'll wonder why you were so hesitant. :unsmith:

One of us.

\/\/\/\/ It's like ObamaCare.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 11, 2014

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The easy fix for the next game being on the Bone is to get a Bone.

Let it work it's magic on you. Soon you'll wonder why you were so hesitant. :unsmith:

One of us.

I've heard that Microsoft doesn't like that people call the new console the "X-bone" but I think they should just turn into that skid and use the name in their ads.
"Looking for the future of video gaming? Get boned!"

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Skoolmunkee may seem a happy-go-lucky zombie killer, but that's all a ruse.

FIVE SECONDS AFTER I WALK OUT THE GATE:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Hotwire posted:

Skoolmunkee may seem a happy-go-lucky zombie killer, but that's all a ruse.

FIVE SECONDS AFTER I WALK OUT THE GATE:

When there is no more room in Hell, the Goons will walk the earth and get into dumb fights

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
"Always entertain strangers, for you may unknowingly entertain angels!

-Except skoolmunkee she can go straight to hell."

-Pastor William

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, do they randomize the traits with every playthrough, I don't remember the Pastor ever being a problem.

Although there was this one time I had a drunk leadership guy with reflex I never really stopped playing because every time he did he caused a morale gently caress-up with someone. If he hadn't had them sweet rear end skills he woulda been kicked out after the 6th loving time he caused trouble.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

liquidypoo posted:

Dead Island 2 and Dying Light are the only major Zombie games coming to PS4 next year, The Last of Us probably counts as one as well.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Xbox One: Is Your Zombie Survival Kit Complete?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
How hard is it to put in custom survivors? Might be fun to see my friends and I die horribly try to survive.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

PunkBoy posted:

How hard is it to put in custom survivors? Might be fun to see my friends and I die horribly try to survive.

It's actually pretty easy, it's just a lot of text editing and file moving so time is more an issue than skill. Most of the data is in xml files, and it's just a case of finding what each model/whatever looks like in game.

Plenty of guides out there!

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Hotwire posted:

It's actually pretty easy, it's just a lot of text editing and file moving so time is more an issue than skill. Most of the data is in xml files, and it's just a case of finding what each model/whatever looks like in game.

Plenty of guides out there!

Awesome! I'll have to do some digging then. Back on topic, I love this game, but I am ashamed that a lot of these references go over my head, since I've never been very interested in zombie movies. So I really appreciate the explanations in the videos!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Hello! I was busy replaying old video games this weekend (priorities) so sorry for the update delay. I'll have it out tomorrow, along with another post with some voting and decision making stuff.

Punkboy, you will be glad then as the next video has lots of references in it.

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
I'm jumping ahead a bit in the story but when you get Karen Tolbert, please keep her in your community*

*and play her as hating ferals with the fury of a 1000 fiery suns...or something like that... :)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Hello!

I rassled up skippy and countzio (whose steam gifting made my decision to lp much easier) for help with the video talkin!

Tomorrow I will post something about decisions/directions in the game that I'd like the thread to have a say in. What types of missions to prioritize, which survivors you want me to start using, where to put outposts, activities to do, stuff like that.

Also, I would like to flesh out these survivors a little. Only the main 4 or 5 have some scraps of story and the rest are randomly generated. If anyone would like to fashion up a bio, blurb, tall tale, or slice of life for one of our survivors (like otaku Alan), please do! (It might even influence how I play as them??) I can include them in the characters post. I don't care if it directly contradicts what the game might have told us. :3:

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Personally I would love to see a game that has all that zombie lore. The nerds and rednecks rush out with their katanas and dually trucks and get overpowered by hordes of flesh eating monsters due to their hubris.

All of our lore was lost that day. We only know the basics to survive now, but I'll take down each zombie one kick at a time.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
That conversation about the vets office when you got back is so weird. "Raagh you didn't send me somewhere to exclusively find antibiotics and not anything else useful. Angry" What?

Mr.Fahrenheit
Dec 27, 2012
I'm pretty sure Marcus' old job was to tenderize giant slabs of beef by kangaroo kicking them.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I do miss Zombies that are spawned out of ye olde black magics.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Spudd posted:

I do miss Zombies that are spawned out of ye olde black magics.

As far as I'm concerned, all Zombies are spawned out of ye olde black magicks.

Yes, even the Umbrella/T-Virus ones. Because I can't suspend my disbelief enough to allow for virii that work that fast and that lethally.

Now, Black Magic curses that look like super-powered virii? That I can accept.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm enjoying this. You're doing a bang-up job skoolmunkee, and you guys are all pretty funny.

I'm one of the people who always goes with both a gun (silenced, plus a single stack of ammo) and a melee weapon. Apart from that I only take a single stack of whatever healing item though - no food, distractions or firebombs - so all in all I'm not too weighed down either. I find guns useful for getting out of trouble, or for certain special zombies (like the screamer, since it can be a pain getting close to them), but apart from that it's all melee.

Oh jeez yeah, ferals are awful. About the only time they don't scare me too much is if I'm controlling a character with a gun and... a certain high-end gun-based ability we haven't seen yet.

Holy poo poo though you got that one with the ute; normally they automatically dodge out of the way like survivors do.

On characters actually calling them "zombies" rather than "walkers" or "infected" or whatever; I seem to remember that in the Walking Dead comic at least, they eventually got to the point where the characters said something like "we used to not call them zombies because we thought it sounded sort of silly, but now, yeah - we just call them zombies".

About all I've got in the way of suggestions for supplemental personalities is that Caden O'Rourke there obviously misses polishing his collection of fine decorative plates.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Silenced guns are actually really useful. They can take out a horde pretty easily since headshots are super simple to get, and they're useful for popping Screamers and a couple other zombie types we haven't seen yet from range. I generally don't carry any spare ammo for it though, as long as you get a gun with 10+ bullets you should be fine.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Just caught up with the LP. You guys are absolutely hilarious, please keep it up. :)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah, my quick and dirty freaks guide in the games thread pretty much mentions that guns generally are the safest way to deal with any freaks. They sort of have adjusted the AI of the ferals to dodge if you're aiming at them since, but quick shots can still kill them or even stun them for a follow up.

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

Drakenel posted:

Yeah, my quick and dirty freaks guide in the games thread pretty much mentions that guns generally are the safest way to deal with any freaks. They sort of have adjusted the AI of the ferals to dodge if you're aiming at them since, but quick shots can still kill them or even stun them for a follow up.

Fortunately, they didn't tweak the health of the ferals so you can hit them with your car and call it a day. But yeah, a good gun is the best choice for certain freaks we haven't seen yet.

Also, fun fact: I spent a lot of time on the game after recording the episode and I finally beat the main story. 'Course I just lamed it out and played only as Marcus but that still counts.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I'm glad you guys are enjoying!

I am kinda down on guns in the game, I guess because they're not as useful and they rely on bullets (and use lots to level them up).

as soon as I get a silenceable gun I will equip someone and go get into trouble, I think all I've got currently is a shotgun, two revolvers, and Maya's rifle. I'll try and level her up too so we can see some of the shooting skills.

I need to try harder at playing the game bad, I should be going into infested houses and staying to fight freaks. Maybe with an expendable...

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Guns have pretty limited uses unless you're clearing infestations or freaks, or have a good supply of silencers. They don't really become a vital part of gameplay until the Lifeline expansion. In the base game, they're best saved until you need them.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The main problem with the challenge curve in the game is that it's 95% self-imposed challenges. Most dangers can be circumvented with avoidance, and the ones that can't, you can prepare for accordingly. The smart tactics for the game make sense in terms of a zombie survival scenario in general, but there's not enough surprises that can really kill you.

Game is fun overall and it is nice to make super survivors, but I haven't ever lost a survivor I'm in direct control of (AI controlled dudes on the other hand...). Partial problem is how good the combat controls are funny enough, pretty much anyone can be a badass under direct control.

Edit: Guns are actually decently good (at least the pistols/assault rifles, SMGs are too hilariously inaccurate and don't get me started on shotguns), but the hoops you have to jump through to use them make them troublesome, especially since melee is just so effective.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Well yeah. Guns are for Special Problems(tm) and not your normal zombies. The only reason you should shoot a normal zombie is A:You're trying to level it up and are close enough to base to run if you activate the 'noise horde' or B: You're out of stamina and a fuckton of zombies are rushing you.

• Locked thread