Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surc
Aug 17, 2004

My dad played Q3 and that CTF expansion for Q3 for ages, then got into D2 as me and my brother were getting out of it, then cracked out on WoW and now plays D3 which I occasionally join him in because it is a way for us to stay in touch and also I feel a little bad about initially getting him hooked :sweatdrop:

My dad is a pretty cool dude and an old man who games, even though he will only use M+KB and refuses to touch a controller. Now stop bringing up your parents playing video games in every thread and talk about how awesome they are in here instead ok jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My dad and me used to stay up all night during summer vacations playing games. He didn't like a lot of 'new' games (this being back in the PS1 era) so we played a lot of SNES games but one day at a pawn shop I saw a game called Gallop Racer for the PS1. That became our go to game for like four summers. He bred perfect horses and we raced each other and made bets and it was a ton of fun.

Then the disk broke and we couldn't find another copy. This was after the PS2 had come out, and there was a gallop racer for the PS2. I bought it for him for a birthday present, and then it turned out it was anime, and had all kinds of new mechanics like making friends with fellow trainers, upgrading your stalls, etc etc, and he hated it. He just wanted to race and breed horses. I eventually found another copy of the PS1 one and he liked it.

Edit: he also liked all the old arcade games. We used to play galaga and dig dug and stuff.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 2, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

My mom only plays Columns on this old Sega Game Gear and hates any game that involves killing something. My dad has never touched a game to my knowledge.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

My mom played the wii sports

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

My dad plays a lot of chess on the computer.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

My brother bought a gamecube, 4 controller,s and a copy of smash bros melee for his birthday this year.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
My old man helped me play donkey kong country and super Mario world when I was little. Now he doesnt touch games anymore.

Mi madre lived in glorious Nippon and used to skip school to go play galaga and centipede in the local arcades. Also growing up she'd repeatedly kick my rear end at any mario party mini game that involved button mashing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Kimmalah posted:

My mom only plays Columns on this old Sega Game Gear and hates any game that involves killing something. My dad has never touched a game to my knowledge.

same

Except actually she just started on game gear, then went to GBA and now she just plays lovely spammy seek and find and word games on her tablet

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

My parent's like 4X, Tycoon, Diablo, and Puzzle Games.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

i play racing games with my dad sometimes

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
My Dad told me he got really mad when there was no reward for 100%ing Super Mario Land.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
My dad wants the new Wolfenstein for his birthday.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
dad doesn't know what a videogame is

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Wormskull posted:

My parent's like 4X, Tycoon, Diablo, and Puzzle Games.

same

My mom had a second line set up so she could play Diablo online while working from home. She had a max rogue with lots of good gear die in an online game and she left the lobby open for like a week attempting to get it back before we had a blackout that wiped it. I think she also did a shitload of RMAH buying/selling poo poo in D3

my dad plays a lot of historical miniatures games too

fuckin nerd parents

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

my mom and I used to play tmnt 3: the manhattan project on nes every day after school when I was in first grade and we even beat it at least once. great memories and she doesn't have to ask "where did I go wrong with you" because she knows exactly where

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

tfw my parents are old and absolutely never game at all, and think I am some sort of degenerative freak for gaming....

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

romanowski posted:

great memories and she doesn't have to ask "where did I go wrong with you" because she knows exactly where

This, but with my dad and Sonic the Hedgehog. It's a miracle I didn't turn out worse tbh

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
my dad is in spectator mode right now

:rip:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

my dad is in spectator mode right now

:rip:

:smith:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

timp posted:

same

Except actually she just started on game gear, then went to GBA and now she just plays lovely spammy seek and find and word games on her tablet

I've tried to introduce her to other games that are basically the same because the game gear is ancient and probably near death but she just can't seem to switch for some reason. She does a few flash games online, but that's as close as she's getting I think.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

My mom has played almost all of those Sherlock Holmes point and click games.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

my dad liked twisted metal 10+ years ago
now he plays bejewled occasionally

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
my mom plays diablo 3 and asks me to play with her but eehhhhhhhhh it's diablo 3 and also she's a lovely gamer

sorry mom

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
*this actually happened*

Mom: hey how about that batman game? arkham city?

Me: i dunno; there's a lot of fighting and flying and stuff. lot of buttons on the controller.

Mom: i can figure it out

Me: okay, but i doubt it

Mom: you're mean

*mom gets the console and the game*

Mom: i hate that batman game; too much fighting and the controller's too hard

Me: welp

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
my mum and dad were always buying games for my bro and I.
when younger they got me Operation Wolf for the NES and we had shooting matches in the evening. they played two player mario brothers as well.

then they sort of stopped playing but would enjoy watching and this went on for a while.

my dad went out one day saying that he needed some paint and when he came back he had a playstation 2 and GTA3. he made me set it all up and then proceeded to sit with me while we played the game. he thought it was awesome and couldn't stop laughing at things.

was a p. good memory.

nowadays they play each other constantly on facebook scrabble. :unsmith:

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

matrix ripoff posted:

*this actually happened*

Me: welp

you should find a fun game for your mom so she doesn't feel like she wasted her money on the console.

My dad only bought me video games as a child so he could berate me for playing him.

"Oh look, it's the GAME BOY."-
My dad, making fun of me for playing Bonk's Adventure on the NES 20 years ago.

gently caress you, dad! Also Bonk's Adventure was p. rad, thanks, DAD.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kimmalah posted:

I've tried to introduce her to other games that are basically the same because the game gear is ancient and probably near death but she just can't seem to switch for some reason. She does a few flash games online, but that's as close as she's getting I think.

She used to play cool games like Castlevanias 1-4, Legend of Zelda, Tetris Attack, Dr. Mario... Goddamn, I've never known anybody who could even come close to my mom in Dr. Mario. She'd start on Lvl 20, high speed, and make it another 15-20 levels past that. I think 42 may have been her best but I can't remember. All I remember is how amazed I always was that she could do that. Tetris, too, just a beast at puzzle games.

Seshoho Cian posted:

My mom has played almost all of those Sherlock Holmes point and click games.

Yeah...and now mom's desktop is littered with games with the word Saga inappropriately appended to the end of the title. :sigh:

And my final point: Game Gear owned except for the lovely game selection.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

The Silver Snail posted:

you should find a fun game for your mom so she doesn't feel like she wasted her money on the console.

my mom's gay for zelda games but she's finished all of them except skyward sword because the controls are loving stupid dogshit waggletime

i'll give her credit, though - she got to the last boss before she realized she was in her 60's and had other things to do before she died

nowadays she just plays the LEGO games and has fun with them, so i'm happy

edit: to reiterate - this is a person who thought the playstation 3 controller had too many buttons on it, and still managed to finish ocarina of time, majora's mask, and twilight princess (on gamecube)

matrix ripoff fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 3, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

matrix ripoff posted:

i'll give her credit, though - she got to the last boss before she realized she was in her 60's and had other things to do before she died

I think that's worth less credit tho. Either realize you don't like a game early on and quit or suck it up and beat the bitch. Tell your mom I said that

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my dad excentsively played star wars battlefront to the point where it almost destroyed his marriage

lol

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

my dad played wow and max leveled a hunter without doing any quests

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
did he get an epic divorce from his wife (ur mother)

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

mabels big day posted:

tfw my parents are old and absolutely never game at all, and think I am some sort of degenerative freak for gaming....

yeah same, except my mom played and completed Volfied, some weird Japanese puzzle-ish game, years ago

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

No Such Thing posted:

my dad played wow and max leveled a hunter without doing any quests

I remember watching my mom try WoW and she was a Draenei mage I believe and played in first person.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
my dad is a human being who likes munches oddyssey

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
playing diablo 2 with my dad was pretty cool, we'd give each other runes and poo poo without having to deal with Battle.net people/bots

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
my parents have a really irrational attitude towards games like they don't so much hate them as they're the Other and don't belong in the world and to play games or talk about them is to do something immoral and upsetting. kind of fucks with your head

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Abandon posted:

my parents have a really irrational attitude towards games like they don't so much hate them as they're the Other and don't belong in the world and to play games or talk about them is to do something immoral and upsetting. kind of fucks with your head

Their probably just tired of seeing there stupid kid who they spent years and tens of thousands or more dollars on spending all his hours and dollars on something that amounts to nothing.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Wormskull posted:

Their probably just tired of seeing there stupid kid who they spent years and tens of thousands or more dollars on spending all his hours and dollars on something that amounts to nothing.

but what about all the cyber athletes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Abandon posted:

your parents sound like they have a lot on the ball

• Locked thread