Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Space Gopher posted:

Tor is glacially slow, it's an active target for the FBI, NSA, and other surveillance organizations, and exit nodes are a perfect place to run man-in-the-middle attacks. The point isn't to keep your information secure; it's to keep you anonymous (which you immediately throw out the window if you're accessing a bank account tied to your personal information). Avoid Tor, and Tails, unless you have a very good reason to use it.

If you worry about online banking over untrusted networks, either wait until you get home to do your banking, or use a cheap Chromebook and SSL.

For what it's worth, it's not terribly slow anymore (you can get a couple megabytes of download, which is enough to saturate my lovely Internet) and MITMs aren't an issue if you use HTTPS or hidden services only. I would definitely hope a banking website is using HTTPS. I encourage everybody to use Tor, but I would never encourage anybody to use plaintext communication like HTTP.

If your primary concern with Tor is its speed, consider running or sponsoring a relay (not an exit node) to increase the amount of bandwidth available. You can contribute to increasing the speed of the network without any chance of legal repercussions: relays never see plain text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Space Gopher posted:

The MITM concern with Tor is that you're letting a single untrusted node control your communication with the internet at large. Even if you're running an SSL implementation with some vulnerability, the chances for someone to exploit it are generally pretty small - either the attacker needs to have control over the local network (router, DNS server, or something similar), or national-agency level resources to pick your traffic out of backbone networks and gently caress with it. When you use Tor, the "local network" includes some node that you don't know, who can do whatever they please to your traffic.

Using Tor is effectively similar to finding an open ethernet jack in a shady alley, and connecting to the internet through it. You're effectively anonymous (any attempt to trace your use will come back to "shady alley ethernet jack" rather than your home), but you don't know what the person using that ethernet jack might be doing to monitor or even modify your traffic. If you use SSL for everything, you're probably safe, but if there's an unknown/undisclosed vulnerability in your implementation that the jack's owners have access to, you're screwed. The fact that you're using the shady alley instead of your home certainly didn't make you any safer for everyday internet stuff. It's only helpful if you're already a target for some reason, and you think your home's being monitored.

Hidden services are a different thing entirely, but for the online banking and email mentioned in the OP, it's not really relevant. Banks and email providers generally don't provide Tor access to their services.

You're right, and in fact Tor seizes every opportunity to remind you that using it alone is not enough to make you safe. Anybody using Tor should augment it with encryption, be it HTTPS, SSH or GPG. There is still the danger that an exit node recording all traffic could retroactively crack your encrypted data if they later discover the keys or a vulnerability in the cipher, but your ISP, the sysadmin or any number of other people could just as easily do the same thing.

I've been using full-system Tor for ideological reasons for over a year now and feel safe, because I would never send data over a plaintext protocol anyway. The irritating thing is the small but growing number of websites that indiscriminately block Tor users, which I feel is a lazy alternative to proper network security. Cloudflare, Cloudfront and Google either block me or make me fill out a CAPTCHA, so I made a key bind to establish a new Tor identity and hit it until I get an IP address they haven't seen yet.

To be more on-topic regarding Tails, I would also suggest people check out Liberte Linux, a different Linux in the same realm.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's definitely possible that Tor is backdoored, but because leaked internal slides reveal candid frustration with Tor, and their only attack on Tor to date was an exploit in an old version of Firefox, we don't have any reason to think it's a honeypot. They could be very good liars and not want to show their hand, but I would feel much much more safe placing a bet on the security of HTTPS than the competence and integrity of my ISP or VPN provider. It's a matter of "could be attacked by a government's concerted effort" versus "absolutely definitely all traffic being logged."

All that said, the relay early attack in the news right now is interesting and may be the first practical attack on the Tor network to successfully deanonymize users. Exciting times for cryptography nerds.

• Locked thread