Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

Ekster posted:

is robotnik jewish???

hes a feminist so probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i liked secret rings :saddowns:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i remember liking secret rings when it came out but i'm scared to go back to it because it almost definitely is much worse than i remember, especially after playing unleashed/colors/generations

ellic
Apr 28, 2009

I never asked for this

Grimey Drawer

sharrrk posted:

did anyone play the 32x sonic games?

did anyone play the 32x?

Uh... Yeah

http://lparchive.org/Sonic-2-Special-Edition/

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you're not docfuture

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

it belongs in a museum

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i don't get sonic fans like at all

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i liked Sonic 2 it was some good poo poo and also Sonic & Knuckles

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i don't get sonic fans like at all

I'm a Sonic fan, and if you ask me one question I'll answer it.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Skylark posted:

how crippling is your autism

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Ekster posted:

I wasnt talking to you jerk.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Skylark posted:

what is cool about sonic

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
sonic is way past cool, so your question is irrelevant

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Skylark posted:

I wasnt talking to you jerk.

Ekster posted:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I found Sonic Shuffle for 5 dollars the other day and bought it since it came with the Sonic Adventure 2 Demo CD.

I already have Sonic R but I do not have Sonic Heroes or Shadow.

I cannot find those games cheap enough where I can say "yeah I'd try that".

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All Sonic games are pretty mediocre tbh. I just had to say it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Admittedly Sonic Adventure demo was pretty awesome in like 1999 or w/e.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Sonic spinball was fun.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Im not gay but there's something about Sonic's cum.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pewdiepie posted:

Im not gay but there's something about Sonic's cum.

:sweden:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

I found Sonic Shuffle for 5 dollars the other day and bought it since it came with the Sonic Adventure 2 Demo CD.

I already have Sonic R but I do not have Sonic Heroes or Shadow.

I cannot find those games cheap enough where I can say "yeah I'd try that".

sonic heroes is not worth playing. the controls are trash, the level design is garbage, and it started the trend of giving enemies health bars instead of just dying in one hit. the only redeeming parts of that game are the music and the cutscenes (which are pretty funny imo), both of which can be experienced on youtube

shadow is consistently hilarious the whole way through though, even just to play. i definitely recommend it

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Whichever game had Tails piloting a loving mech was pretty funny. That's my Sonic knowledge

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
the original sonic for the master system was pretty meh, but all the main 2d genesis games owned. if you're going to play any of the 3d ones, you have to understand that it's an experience mostly to be enjoyed by mocking it.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Generations was pretty fun. Even though scrolling through the time trials menu made it crash to desktop and Sega never fixed it.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

if you played as amy in the adventure 2 battle mode, you could freeze your opponent for 30 seconds. i made my middle school friends real mad with that.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

BKPR posted:

if you played as amy in the adventure 2 battle mode, you could freeze your opponent for 30 seconds. i made my middle school friends real mad with that.

LOL!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Middle School Kid: Hey could you stop freezing me. It's keeping me in place for 30 seconds and isn't avery fun gameplay mechanic.
BKPR Fag: Hurrr! Lol. You freeze!! I Freeze you. LOL!
Middle School Kid: I am going home.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i just went by "Fag" at the time

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
some dudes just get their jollies from making people miserable. like playing blue decks in magic

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
sonic generations and colors and the not-dumb-werewolf bits of unleashed are pretty cool "racing platformers" and the gameplay is polished and exhiliratingly fast and sadly pretty brief (and p. much unique) due to the resources needed to make levels several dozen miles long

tbh i'd play sonic generations even if all the textures were solid colors and there were no skyboxes or background detail, because it's really speedy and fun to go fast at. the fact that it's sonic is loving worthless, really.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ekster posted:

Sweet Lord.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

sonic generations and colors and the not-dumb-werewolf bits of unleashed are pretty cool "racing platformers" and the gameplay is polished and exhiliratingly fast and sadly pretty brief (and p. much unique) due to the resources needed to make levels several dozen miles long

tbh i'd play sonic generations even if all the textures were solid colors and there were no skyboxes or background detail, because it's really speedy and fun to go fast at. the fact that it's sonic is loving worthless, really.

it's such a shame that designing levels for the "modern" sonic gameplay is so time consuming because goddamn is it fun to play through. there really isn't anything else like it, and we might not see it again for a while because of that problem

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

if you have sonic generations on PC the custom-level scene is fairly large, considering, and the level editor is getting a major revision. they even ported the main daytime stages from unleashed over to generations, it's really good

but since it's mostly sonic fans making the custom levels and sonic fans are autistic and dumb most of the "original" custom levels are trash :saddowns:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

but since it's mostly sonic fans making the custom levels and sonic fans are autistic and dumb most of the "original" custom levels are trash :saddowns:
User created levels are 99% garbage for any game that has them. Most people don't have the first clue about level design.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

yeah that's true but they're basically racetracks, so if sonic fans weren't so creepy and off-putting the game might have poached some Trackmania people. maybe when the new version of the level editor comes out???

I just want to play new acts of Rooftop Run forever :negative:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
generations is one of the few 3d sonic games that isn't complete poo poo. even the 3d versions of levels have 2d platforming elements in them, which is probably why the idiot sonic fans who refuse to play the old games and are just in it for the lore can't appreciate it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, Generations/Unleashed/Colors works because, when you turn Sonic into a racecar that can jump and grind on rails and poo poo, all the problems previous 3D Sonics had just melt away.
  • Since the levels are now roughly-linear sequences of setpieces through which Sonic runs in basically one direction, you can set up scripted camera angles for each moment, that look cool and give the player all the needed information. The player doesn't need any kind of self-correcting or player-controlled camera because the player never needs to go anywhere there isn't already a scripted camera angle for.
  • Precision 3D platforming, which is tough enough to implement well even at Mario speeds, can be removed from the equation. Instead, the use of homing-attacks, hurdle-jumps, side-stepping, stomping, and sliding, along with other twitch-reflex actions can provide challenge in the 3D segments, while more challenging platforming sections can be reserved for the seamlessly-integrated 2D portions of the level, where the control and camera concerns are largely alleviated.
  • The "boost" system gives Sonic what is essentially a run button. Momentum-based speed like in the Genesis games just doesn't work in a 3D environment - it's hard to control, unintuitive, and prone to causing ridiculous and inconsistent behavior. Replacing rolling and the spindash with instant-response boost power that's natural to anyone who's played a kart racer - hell, Sonic can even drift around corners! The boost meter also incentivizes destroying enemies and collecting rings in order to refill your boost energy, because you gotta go fast! Then, when more precise timing or platforming is needed (particularly in 2D segments), Sonic can slow down near-instantly to a brisk jog. It just WORKS.

At high levels of play, Unleashed and Generations start to play way less like 3D platformers and much more like a bizarre cross between F-Zero (G)X Amplitude. It's unique. I mean, LOOK AT THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZtX445lwA8 (or here, in 60FPS and a higher bitrate)

It's sad that all the games using this gameplay concept are so short on content, and that Sega seems to have abandoned the Boost Gameplay going forward.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 10, 2014

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

if you stripped these games of their dumb animal mascot that nerds work their rods to would there even be a good game? would people recognize sonic for the mediocre platformer it always has been? at best these games have only ever been okay.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

DoctorWhat posted:

if you have sonic generations on PC the custom-level scene is fairly large, considering, and the level editor is getting a major revision. they even ported the main daytime stages from unleashed over to generations, it's really good

the is literally the only good thing a sonic fan has made:nws:

edit: i feel like is shouldn't have to tag this link because if you're reading about sonic the loving hedgehog at work then i just don't know any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

It's the piano at the beginning that really makes this

• Locked thread