Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Arguing what the worst Ghibli film is doesn't make sense when they could probably poo poo out stuff better than 99% of anime today.

Someone hasn't seen The Cat Returns yet.

Pootybutt posted:

Like, the only thing that comes to mind is Wolf Children, which, incidentally, aside from a spectacular opening twenty minutes or so, was easily Hosoda's worse work to date and a film I like less and less the more I think about it. Wasn't even particularly bad on its own merits, just much shallower than advertised. I dunno if I ever got who the focus was even supposed to be, the bland cipher supermom or the bland ciphers her kids quickly became.

It wasn't so much that it was bad, but it went out of its way to show how much better it could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pootybutt posted:

Like, the only thing that comes to mind is Wolf Children, which, incidentally, aside from a spectacular opening twenty minutes or so, was easily Hosoda's worse work to date and a film I like less and less the more I think about it. Wasn't even particularly bad on its own merits, just much shallower than advertised. I dunno if I ever got who the focus was even supposed to be, the bland cipher supermom or the bland ciphers her kids quickly became.
Wolf Children is a Ghibli film where the focus is on the normal parent rather than the kids off on their various adventures; a Totoro where the dad is the main character. It's really Hana, not the kids, that is the linchpin of the narrative. Her hang-ups with both granting them their freedom to do what they want with their lives and yet still fret over whether she was able to raise them well. It makes it a pretty personal and relatable despite the ostensible fantasy set-up. I really struggle with whether I prefer it or TGWLTT, because I think in many ways it's the best direction Hosoda has done but it isn't quite as unique overall as TGWLTT.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You've got to put up the full thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Aside from the fact that he had a brief stint there, I've no idea how these inane Hosoda comparisons always come up. Hosoda is literally nothing at all like Ghibli or Miyazaki especially. It explains why he left.

Anyway, Mononoke/Porco Rosso tied for best movie.

I think the main comparison is that Hosoda is one of the few remaining guys out there that directs anime movies for all ages that are original works.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Suzuki: "Actually, Miyazaki was talking about maybe possibly doing another short museum piece. Maybe."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-08-07/ghibli-co-founder-suzuki-miyazaki-may-make-short-film/.77392

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

:(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Wolf Children is a Ghibli film where the focus is on the normal parent rather than the kids off on their various adventures; a Totoro where the dad is the main character. It's really Hana, not the kids, that is the linchpin of the narrative. Her hang-ups with both granting them their freedom to do what they want with their lives and yet still fret over whether she was able to raise them well. It makes it a pretty personal and relatable despite the ostensible fantasy set-up. I really struggle with whether I prefer it or TGWLTT, because I think in many ways it's the best direction Hosoda has done but it isn't quite as unique overall as TGWLTT.

I thought Wolf Children was amazing but that ending was awful in its implications.

I think the best Ghibli feeling movie I've seen recently was Patema Inverted.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Arguing what the worst Ghibli film is doesn't make sense when they could probably poo poo out stuff better than 99% of anime today.

I agree with this.

quote:

Speaking of Miyazaki himself I just looked up a list of the full length movies he directed:

The Castle of Cagliostro
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
The Wind Rises

I haven't watched Castle in the Sky, Wind rises and Porco Rosso (I'm watching that one next) but I wouldn't call a single one of the ones I watched bad. He had an amazing track record.

Haven't seen Porco Rosso or The Wind Rises yet, but I saw everything else, and yeah I think Kiki's and Totoro are what I'm most Meh on; the former because of the same reasons why I didn't like Wolf's Children ending (A Talking Cat is a great thing and losing that sucks); and I think Totoro because its the one I remember the least about and so arguably had the least emotional impact on me.

Nausicaä I'll rank seperately as the one I remember as being consistently interesting.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 10, 2014

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
If you don't like Totoro you must be dead inside.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I thought Wolf Children was amazing but that ending was awful in its implications.

Wait, what's so wrong with it?

The idea is that kids growing up and going on to do their own thing, except accelerated to earlier in their lives because they're wolves. There's nothing saying that Hana never did anything after that (she still had the whole village around) or that Yuki never talked to her again. Ame is a different case, because he chose to be a wolf, which is a kind of magical thing that doesn't count (and there was that sweet ending where Hana listens to him howling). It's bittersweet but it reflects how people really grow up.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Devil Tesla posted:

Wait, what's so wrong with it?

The idea is that kids growing up and going on to do their own thing, except accelerated to earlier in their lives because they're wolves. There's nothing saying that Hana never did anything after that (she still had the whole village around) or that Yuki never talked to her again. Ame is a different case, because he chose to be a wolf, which is a kind of magical thing that doesn't count (and there was that sweet ending where Hana listens to him howling). It's bittersweet but it reflects how people really grow up.

I don't like how the kids couldn't have their cake and eat it. The son could seemingly only find happiness with his wolf heritage while the girl seems to me is stuck in some kind of limbo. The film doesn't ever seem to imply that being a sort of human-wolf hybrid is ever a good thing but just a source of angst and unhappiness.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't like how the kids couldn't have their cake and eat it. The son could seemingly only find happiness with his wolf heritage while the girl seems to me is stuck in some kind of limbo. The film doesn't ever seem to imply that being a sort of human-wolf hybrid is ever a good thing but just a source of angst and unhappiness.

I thought where the kids ended up was clever. From when they were little Hana was sensitive of letting them decide if they should be a wolf or a human, so of course they decide to go opposite ways. And they are opposite ways: Yuki is living like like a human they way her father did, even though it's clear she is still part wolf, the same way it's clear that Ame is still part human.

As for the good part of being a warewolf, there's lots of that in the movie, in particular the snow scene and the one with Ame and his mentor. Yes, the happiness is short and the drudgery long lived, but there is satisfaction in overcoming it. Very appropriate as a metaphor for parenting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The ending is certainly bittersweet, but again, Hana is really the main character. The crux of the climax is that she realised she would live with her resolution, that ultimately it would be her children's choice, and that her role is to enable that, even if they choose what she wouldn't have preferred them to choose.

I don't think it is a bad ending, I think allowing Hana to avoid that very real dilemma would have greatly undermined the theme of the story. (Snarkily: though I suspect that Ghibli would have allowed them a happier ending though by some kind of deus ex machina...) I think it is worth bearing in mind the personal autobiographical nature of the film.

Also, to some extent trying to live both lives as man and wolf brought the father nothing but trouble, and eventually death, though Yuki's revelation of her nature to the boy showed that she no longer feared her wolf side.

On that topic, I found Ponyo's and Howl's endings to be really weak. Spirited Away had a good epilogue, but just before that... That sure came out of nowhere. What is up with Ghibli and the protagonist having to complete some kind of contrived test at the end, whose solution is Love?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 11, 2014

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Ponyo and Howl are both pretty weak long before the ending. Howl is pretty as gently caress but Ponyo doesn't even have that. Totoro is king.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ponyo is a decently cute movie for the first 2 acts. The third completely falls apart because they for some reason try to stick to the HCA story even though that doesn't fit either of our main characters at all.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Totoro is kind of a long slog of a movie for some people. It isn't exactly action packed or frenetic. It's a very slow and contemplative kind of movie.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Everything I've ever heard about Totoro basically amounts to "it is a movie in which nothing happens but you won't care."

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Rodyle posted:

Everything I've ever heard about Totoro basically amounts to "it is a movie in which nothing happens but you won't care."

Go watch it right now.

I'm a Totoro and I'm insane. I don't know what will happen if you don't comply.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I do care about with regards to Ghibli is the schedule for their overpriced US releases. Mononoke is coming up I believe in November, but there is still nothing for Kiki or Porco Rosso.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 11, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I guess if you find the US releases overpriced you're not going to want to touch the JP blurays but jesus christ are they gorgeous:

(not mine)

(mine from a recent order)

I just got The Wind Rises and am contemplating Grave of the Fireflies. Everything is out in Japan on bluray, and everything has at least English subtitles (many have English dubs) with the exception of Castle of Cagliostro (:argh:). They're ~$60 on Amazon Japan but worth it imho.

More covers because I love them:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can't help but sigh when I look at the Japanese covers next to Disney's efforts, but no I don't think they (or any movie really) are worth $60 individually.

E: The US releases aren't too badly priced I suppose comparatively, I just wish they would actually go on sale once in a while.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 11, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nate RFB posted:

I can't help but sigh when I look at the Japanese covers next to Disney's efforts, but no I don't think they (or any movie really) are worth $60 individually.

E: The US releases aren't too badly priced I suppose comparatively, I just wish they would actually go on sale once in a while.

Ha! Disney put their products on sale? That would imply they're garbage! No they will always be 30$ and you will like it!

(I also hate this and it's the lovely thing about marvel being part of Disney because now I don't get the superhero movies for cheap)

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Sirotan posted:

everything has at least English subtitles (many have English dubs) with the exception of Castle of Cagliostro (:argh:). They're ~$60 on Amazon Japan but worth it imho.

poo poo, that's the one I really want too. I guess I'll wait for the US release later this year (or next year, whenever that happens.)

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
There was the Costco sale on Ghibli. They had every available movie on BD combo discs for $25 each, but yeah that was still expensive.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ9pR5yduX4

:allears:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Sirotan posted:

Everything is out in Japan on bluray, and everything has at least English subtitles (many have English dubs) with the exception of Castle of Cagliostro (:argh:). They're ~$60 on Amazon Japan but worth it imho.
What?
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VWBS-1533
It has English subtitles. The version in the $600 Miyazaki box didn't, but the individual release does.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

What?
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/VWBS-1533
It has English subtitles. The version in the $600 Miyazaki box didn't, but the individual release does.

That doesn't appear to be the Japanese bluray (which is region A, this one says region free), so I'm going to assume it's some kind of bootleg. If it's not, well, the lack of info on that page makes me highly suspicious. Here's how Amazon Japan lists it:

quote:

監督: 宮崎駿
形式: Color, Dolby, Widescreen, Import
言語: 日本語
字幕: 日本語

Japanese only for audio and subtitles.

Edit: Ok it appears the Ghibli JP blurays are all region-free, not just region A. I still don't think that listing is correct, seeing as Discotek has the license for it in the states it makes sense to not have any English audio or subtitles on the Japanese release to prevent importation.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 27, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Sirotan posted:

That doesn't appear to be the Japanese bluray (which is region A, this one says region free), so I'm going to assume it's some kind of bootleg. If it's not, well, the lack of info on that page makes me highly suspicious. Here's how Amazon Japan lists it:
Japanese only for audio and subtitles.
CDJapan doesn't sell bootlegs and anime BDs are very often region free.
http://disney-studio.jp/product/index.jsp?cid=239&pid=30000000003919
Click the last tab and:

Disney JP posted:

字幕
1.日本語字幕 
2.英語字幕

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

This is awesome.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Excellent

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

CDJapan doesn't sell bootlegs and anime BDs are very often region free.
http://disney-studio.jp/product/index.jsp?cid=239&pid=30000000003919
Click the last tab and:

Well I guess I won't be relying on Amazon Japan's product listings anymore!

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Well I guess I won't be relying on Amazon Japan's product listings anymore!

Amazon's region encoding information has never been accurate, Japan or otherwise. They often tend towards playing it safe by listing a product as being region encoded when it's not, which is why it's better if you can see photos of the region info on the product itself (though even then I've had some blu rays that state that they're region A on the case only to have it play just fine in my region B player).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Coming from Fox, of all places, that's surprisingly sweet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dexie posted:

Coming from Fox, of all places, that's surprisingly sweet.
ADHD (which was Fox's attempt to create an alt-pop Adult Swim block) has a TON of good digital shorts geared to folks that grew up in the 90s. The writers/animators have a decent anime/gaming/nerd poo poo background.

Some are pretty goofy, though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNhsXnxl04w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvR0M5-5qcE

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

ADHD (which was Fox's attempt to create an alt-pop Adult Swim block) has a TON of good digital shorts geared to folks that grew up in the 90s. The writers/animators have a decent anime/gaming/nerd poo poo background.

Some are pretty goofy, though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNhsXnxl04w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvR0M5-5qcE

"He's got no powers from the dude in Bleach because Bleach is a terrible show." still gets me every time.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Anyone know if there's a planned UK release date for Princess Kaguya?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My favorite Ghibli film is Howl's Moving Castle and I've literally never met anyone who shares that opinion.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

My favorite Ghibli film is Howl's Moving Castle and I've literally never met anyone who shares that opinion.

good. it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KittyEmpress posted:

That's because only a crazy person would actually think that.

• Locked thread