Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I think there are two reasons:

1) The opportunity costs of stealing could actually make sense if you have no appreciable skill or the resources to gain appreciable skills. You'll never have whatever it is you're stealing so might as well take the risk as your losses are minimal. Not to mention what growing up in poverty does to a persons impulse control. I once heard an argument regarding why it could be logical to play the lottery if you're very poor which runs along similar lines, if one will never reach beyond subsistence with ones current skill it becomes for lack of a better term, almost a hosed up form of venture investment.

2) Theft is a lot like drunk driving, you never get caught the first time you do it. Its nice having nice things (especially combine with point above) and it becomes a habit which grows over time--along with altering your perception of value in items. This is going to sound funny but there was a period of 6-8 months in my early 20s where I would steal small items (expensive cheeses primarily) for no observable reason. I had the money to afford them, but stealing them changed their perceived value and made them taste better. I stopped because I felt like it was a terrible habit and counter to my general moral code, not because I was worried about getting caught. I'm resource rich and financially sound and still I did it. I didn't get off at all on the thrill of stealing, I just wanted good cheese and didn't want to have to pay so drat much for it. If I was poor it would only have grown to other items.

I'd also add it was stated above that whoever said its high risk breaking into someone's house is deluding themselves. It would take all of 2 days for you to figure out a schedule of a house and roll up to clean them out with very low chance of getting caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread