Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, Valkyrie mode really is outstandingly tough. So many spikes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Valk mode is for the kind of person who enjoys IWBTG, the Valk levels at the end of the game are straight up crazyballs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I find it highly unlikely that they will be anything like IWBTG.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Manatee Cannon posted:

I find it highly unlikely that they will be anything like IWBTG.

Precision platforming where if you're more than a few pixels off you die instantly, tons of enemies carefully hidden and set up to attack you at the worst possible moment, bullet hell, hidden traps and enemies with incredibly complex attack routines.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #3

There was a strange typo in this lore update as it mentions Vyssith (the world 2 boss) instead of Frakkus.

Lore

quote:

These dead lands reached their current state from the sad tale of one Frakkus, who had an unfortunate fascination with death and necromancy (and a complete lack of empathy for his fellows).

Cast out from his small rural village, Frakkus was soon fending for crypts by the time Fáfnir found him. Fáfnir offered him exactly what he wanted most - knowledge and power in the art of necromancy.

Within moments of gaining this power, Frakkus slaughtered everyone in his village, partially out of revenge but more out of a fascination with all the ways they could die. Soon all of the surrounding landscape was filled with the stench of death and decay, and none dared set foot in the region.

Fortunately, unlike many other Seal Guardians Frakkus has no interest in conquest, but is content to stay buried in his favorite crypt, continuing his research, and only rarely sending out murderous raiding parties of his unded to nearby villages to fetch him more "research material."

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 3, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
-hanging on a chain over a spike pit, ghosts spawning everywhere-
"All you have to do is tread carefully and make no risky movements..."

I'd say that's Volgarr in a nutshell.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Man that hammer in the first part of the normal stage is tricky as poo poo. I never knew about that one.

Remember kids, never LP at night~

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like those skeletons. They're all the interesting parts of fighting a dude with a shield minus the random blocking of anything you send at them.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm still split between wanting to thank you for playing this game for me and buying it to play myself, difficulty be damned. I loved Castlevania 3 as a kid so I'm sure I can handle the fixed jumps... eventually. It looks fun as hell to play when its mastered.

Edit: Oh snap VVVV

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 10, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^It's $3.99 at the moment, so now's as good a time as any:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/volgarrtheviking_storefront

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #4

This week Völgarr finds himself in the middle of a snake-worshipping cult. How is Völgarr gonna get himself out this time? I'm pretty sure it involves hitting things...

Lore

quote:

A small barbarian cult formed at the foot of a volcano, taking up residence in the ruins of some ancient temples originally built to worship the Viking gods. This cult instead worshipped a god they believed took the form of a fire-breathing serpent. The leader of the cult saw his control slipping as the cult's numbers dwindled over time...perhaps due to new recruits seeing the grotesque transformation half-snake half-man abominations.

When Fáfnir approached the cult leader and made his offer, the leader actually declined, for he had a better idea. Instead, he asked Fáfnir to a form the pact with favorite pet snake in his stead.

Through the magic of the Seal the snake grew to enormous size. Now with a physical manifestation of his "fire snake god" to demonstrate, the cult's numbers swelled, and those outside the cult began to believe the snake to be a reincarnation of Jörmungandr. Few knew its true nature, and no one knows the real motives of the cult's hidden leader.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 3, 2014

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Beefcake may not be smart but holy god is he entertaining.

Also man, this level and the next one really tried my patience. I think I stopped playing because those levels were stressing me out too hard.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I don't think I ever got this far so it's nice to see the breakdown. I got bogged down in the last level and just never picked it back up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How the hell are you supposed to get that necklace at around the five minute mark?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

anilEhilated posted:

How the hell are you supposed to get that necklace at around the five minute mark?

Well timed double jump. Flame hitbox is pretty forgiving.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Just popping in to say that those floating head bombs look to be modeled after Vargouilles from Dungeons & Dragons. I don't know if there's a specific enemy from a game they're referencing with it, though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The only game I'm aware of those being in is Planescape: Torment. Nnnot exactly your source of Volgarr material.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh! I did not expect there to be anything special when Fluffy hit the wall. Nice touch, programmers.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Update #5

Völgarr wants to install some new AC units in his home, so he asks the Sky Knights if he could get an estimated quote. Their feathers got ruffled and proceed to attack him.

Lore

quote:

Not everyone from ancient City of Akron wished to become isolated under the sea. A splinter group decided to stay and take to the air instead, and rather than isolate themselves from the world, act as stewards of it.

Using their magic and technology to grant themselves the power of flight, and eventually taking on a bird-like appearance, this group became known as the Sky Knights, protectors of the peace. Chivalrous and noble, and remarkably long-lived, the Sky Knights were respected by all for many years, until a mysterious ailment of unknown origin caused their birth rate to plummet.

Eventually becoming a paranoid and desperate people as their population continued to shrink, the Sky Knights retreated to their castle in the clouds. But their fear only grew, and feeling they had little choice to survive, they enslaved and brainwashed a peaceful diminutive race to act as their servants, who then used small gliders to help them navigate the sky and emulate their beloved masters.

Lead by a great general, once known as the most noble and brave of them all, yet now corrupted by a pact with Fáfnir, the once-noble Sky Knights have decided that will never be safe from the savages that live below, and that the only way to truly protect themselves is to enslave all other races as they did with the first.

The Sky Knights have mobilized their air ship armada to begin their grim task...

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 3, 2014

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Its so weird seeing the money pit just go up in a straight column rather than spilling into the other parts of Volgarr's house.

Also, I'm guessing 2 updates left right? You're pretty much at end-game.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Is there ever a reason to jump over the jewel at the end of a Valkyrie stage? Every single one has had a deliberate space to jump over it.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

The Wizard of Oz posted:

Is there ever a reason to jump over the jewel at the end of a Valkyrie stage? Every single one has had a deliberate space to jump over it.

Not really. Skipping a rune at the end of a level just means you're locked out of the best ending.

Highwang posted:

Also, I'm guessing 2 updates left right? You're pretty much at end-game.

Pretty much.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

This is a good LP and I enjoyed watching somebody play a platformer I stink at better.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
The heck is up with those cube sprites, they look completely out of place sitting on the airship decks.

Part 2 of level 5 also seemed kind of lazily put together art-wise as well with all the featureless grey-blue walls, which is a shame because I've been pretty impressed with the sprite work so far!

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Combat Lobster posted:

Update #4

This week Völgarr finds himself in the middle of a snake-worshipping cult. How is Völgarr gonna get himself out this time? I'm pretty sure it involves hitting things...

Lore

At around 3:20 in the valkyrie video you have to jump to a higher place that is one single tile wide. I always jump the opposite direction first, then do the double-jump towards the ledge. Overshooting the jump is, I'm pretty sure, impossible in that situation, and undershooting will just land you back where you started (unless you're ridiculously late). Doing it your way is okay, but carries a (slightly) higher risk imo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

The heck is up with those cube sprites, they look completely out of place sitting on the airship decks.

Part 2 of level 5 also seemed kind of lazily put together art-wise as well with all the featureless grey-blue walls, which is a shame because I've been pretty impressed with the sprite work so far!

^^It was a time/money issue, I think - they already had to delay the game once in order to take on other work and I don't think they wanted to have to do it again.

I guess it was a tradeoff between the backgrounds and the valkyrie stages, which were something they weren't budgeted for but added anyway.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tough call. It does look a bit shite compared to the rest.

Oh hi, nice LP by the way :)

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The sprite work's hit me as really inconsistent, and the lack of unique boss sprites in this level is part of that. Seems like a really cool game no matter what, though.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it seems like closest this game gets to unique boss sprites was the giant snake, and that was real stupid looking so it's something of a trade-off I guess?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The air currents were a pretty neat feature. I liked the way they switched them up for the valkyrie run, being weak enough to walk against and all.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bumping to let people know the game is now available on Xbone as the free Games with Gold game for this month. Standard price is $9.99, and they'll be dropping the price of the PC and upcoming Mac/Linux versions to match the console price, too.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Hey, so I don't have a new update ready right now but I re-uploaded all the current videos to take advantage of the new 60FPS update that Youtube rolled out recently. So yeah, you can now watch the videos at a higher framerate.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

It's been awhile since the last update, so I figured I should go ahead post the remaining videos now and finish up the LP. So here's a back-to-back double update. Happy early turkey day and thanks for watching!

Update #6

Lore

quote:

Only by defeating each of Fàfnir's Seal Guardians can the way into the Tower be opened, but even then, the Tower is filled with legions of enemies from all the races loyal to Fàfnir. Völgarr will have to make his way floor-by-floor to the top of the tower to face Fàfnir and put an end to his spread of fear and chaos. But perhaps there is another way to the top?

Update #7

World 7: ?????? aka Yggdrasill's Roots

Lore

There's isn't really any lore in the manual for world 7, just this:

quote:

Rumors exist of a secret 7th area that only the most skilled will ever lay eyes on. Will you be the first to find it and unlock its mysteries?

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 19, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Hahahaha, oh wow that Fafir fight in the valkyrie is beautiful.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing and comes out of nowhere. Then again, you deserve something like that for putting up with the Valkyrie mode's bullshit.
The real final boss, on the other hand, looks pretty disappointing.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 18, 2014

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

That ownd, thank you a lot. Also the credits song was baller as hell.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
So I might be seeing things, but I'm pretty sure the true final boss' pattern is 90% the same as the dragons from Shadows over Mystara, almost in presentation as well.

Also I do enjoy that they mentioned what Nidhogg does with his time in Norse mythos. A cool little detail that they mentioned and all.

Great job with the LP man. Really well done!

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
This game does make you feel like a skilled mountain of a killer. Great LP.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Highwang posted:

Also I do enjoy that they mentioned what Nidhogg does with his time in Norse mythos. A cool little detail that they mentioned and all.

You can even see strips of bark missing from the roots in his arena where he has been gnawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
That was pretty darn awesome, and thanks for showin' it off, Combat Lobster! Agreeing that the Nidhogg fight looked a lil' ... Well, easy to predict, for the most part, but what the hell, it was fun!

• Locked thread