Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

mllaneza posted:

I'm planning on doing a PDF product (compendium class compilation) in the next month or so, and with little or no money. What's the consensus on offering subcontractors (artists and editors) a percentage of revenue up to their full fee, with a small advance to make sure they get something ? Would that even be worth suggesting ?

Not likely. If you personally know an artist that might be an option, but I doubt you're going to be able to find any decent artists that will work commission for maybe getting paid their rate. That said, you can find some pretty good commission artists out there who work for extremely reasonable rates. We used Jason Rainville for some art for one of our products and were extremely happy with the results. I don't remember the exact price but I was amazed at how low the price was. For the record it was a full-color, high-PPI, full-body character art, like Paizo's iconic characters. I'll see if I can find the image. EDIT: It isn't on his page and I don't see it in my GMail, so I must not have gotten an actual copy of the final art.

Anyway, if you can't afford to pay reasonable fees, you probably should reconsider publishing for money. You're unlikely to make a profit. The old adage, "To make a small fortune in indie RPGs, start with a large one" is absolutely true.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I've done work for multiple books which used the OGL, but I'm a designer, not an editor. I know the things I can't do as a designer within the OGL and the Pathfinder Compatibility License, but I don't know for sure that I could tell you which causes which restrictions.

The thing that tripped me up with the PCL is that you can't reference page numbers. It made sense once it was explained to me (page numbers can change between editions of a book) but I never even considered that it would be verboten.

• Locked thread