Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
The rules: pick a hard game and beat it in a month. Don't abuse savestates or any crap like that. If you beat it you proved you're a true gamer, if you don't beat it you get banned. Or I guess you can write an essay explaining why you're too much of a scrub to beat it but whatever, a true gamer would get banned before admitting that and that's what this is all about, showing the true gamer spirit by beating a hard game. Don't pick Dark Souls. Ganbatte.

I'm going to beat Super Ghosts 'n Goblins for the SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

whats a good barometer for a hard game. would that volgarr the viking game that came out awhile back count or are we doing classic games only

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
if u have to make it a personal goal to beat some difficult rear end game instead of having already beat all of them in ur life well then i dunno what to tell u except maybe some frogout

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

01011001 posted:

whats a good barometer for a hard game. would that volgarr the viking game that came out awhile back count or are we doing classic games only

It just has to be a hard game. IDK what Volgarr the Viking is but if it's hard you do that one.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm going to 100% Rayman Origins.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
my hard game is going to be employment op

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Mung Dynasty posted:

if u have to make it a personal goal to beat some difficult rear end game instead of having already beat all of them in ur life well then i dunno what to tell u except maybe some frogout

If you've already beat all the hard games you have to 1cc Bug Princess.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I'm always okay with playing through Contra III especially with a buddy.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i did naked and unloved run of hard revengeance on a new save does that count

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Widestancer posted:

I'm always okay with playing through Contra III especially with a buddy.

Word good luck and hats off to the first other true gamer in this thread.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Doctor Goat posted:

i did naked and unloved run of hard revengeance on a new save does that count

IDK what that is but good job dude I guess lol.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I'm gonna play through Rayman 1

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i dont have time, but i wish you all good luck in your gaming endeavors

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

01011001 posted:

i think volgarr is hard enough

Dec 26, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

It just has to be a hard game. IDK what Volgarr the Viking is but if it's hard you do that one.

Is it fascism yet posted:

i think volgarr is hard enough

i will pledge to volgarr, then

Jackfruit
Apr 27, 2006

dem bones dem bones gonna walk around
does necrodancer count if i do it on bard mode but hardcore mode also. i call it "bardcore"

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Thug Lessons posted:

IDK what that is but good job dude I guess lol.

metal gear rising revengeance is a fun challenging game and i did it on hard (its harder) with naked and unloved (no upgrades to health or fuel) and having a new save meant i didn't have any items except starting sword. i'd do very hard but you just don't do enough damage that way

if you haven't played it play it

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Doctor Goat posted:

metal gear rising revengeance is a fun challenging game and i did it on hard (its harder) with naked and unloved (no upgrades to health or fuel) and having a new save meant i didn't have any items except starting sword. i'd do very hard but you just don't do enough damage that way

if you haven't played it play it

imma try this.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Another good choice is NES top down shooter Heavy Barrel. I am already spoken for with Contra III but that game made 8 year old me frustrated many times.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
If I say dungeon crawl do I have to do a 12 rune run or is 3 enough?

Also the essay for dungeon crawl pretty much writes itself and I may as well write it right now. Xom thinks it's funny that I got banished to the abyss AGAIN. Arrggh.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Action Tortoise posted:

imma try this.

if ytou're baller as gently caress you can do it on Revengeance using parries really carefully and then the QTE finishers but gently caress that noise, one mistake and you're back to the last checkpoint

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Thug Lessons posted:

The rules: pick a hard game and beat it in a month. Don't abuse savestates or any crap like that. If you beat it you proved you're a true gamer, if you don't beat it you get banned. Or I guess you can write an essay explaining why you're too much of a scrub to beat it but whatever, a true gamer would get banned before admitting that and that's what this is all about, showing the true gamer spirit by beating a hard game. Don't pick Dark Souls. Ganbatte.

I'm going to beat Super Ghosts 'n Goblins for the SNES.

Good luck gamer. I'm thinking of a good hard game to beat myself.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Quake 1 or 2 on Nightmare difficulty, Maldita Castilla (which Ghosts n' Goblins reminded me of), and a hard Doom megawad on Ultra Violence all seem like good candidates to me.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

life is the hardest game op

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i'm going to 100% no deaths shovel knight during a conference call interview

Jackfruit
Apr 27, 2006

Kylra posted:

Also the essay for dungeon crawl pretty much writes itself and I may as well write it right now. Xom thinks it's funny that I got banished to the abyss AGAIN. Arrggh.

a 3 rune should be sufficient if you haven't beaten the game before, imho.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Falsum posted:

I'm gonna play through Rayman 1

Action Tortoise posted:

imma try this.

Good luck gamers.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I'm going to beat Quake 1 on Nightmare difficulty without using quicksaves.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Kylra posted:

3 runes is enough. I'm a hardcore Crawl player and almost all my wins are 3-rune because it just takes too long otherwise. If you really want a challenge, do a hard combo instead of MiFi/DDBe/etc.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

i'm going to 100% no deaths shovel knight during a conference call interview

Not sure if this is a troll but I'm gonna hold you to it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I'm going to beat Quake 1 on Nightmare difficulty without using quicksaves.

:thumbsup:

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Jackfruit posted:

a 3 rune should be sufficient if you haven't beaten the game before, imho.
My current character is the first one to make it past lair 2 without dying in a terrific accident, so I guess 3 rune. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it though.

Thug Lessons posted:

3 runes is enough. I'm a hardcore Crawl player and almost all my wins are 3-rune because it just takes too long otherwise. If you really want a challenge, do a hard combo instead of MiFi/DDBe/etc.
I'm currently a Demigod Summoner. I read no one likes summoners, but I seem to be doing alright with them and what is considered a difficult species? Tabbing through everything seems pretty boring imo, so I'll probably keep playing casters.

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Alright, I'll try Ninja Gaiden 2.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Time to play some Firesword on the Atari.

Jackfruit
Apr 27, 2006

In the absence of any objections, I'll play Crypt of the NecroDancer on hardcore mode using the Bard character (ie, without the rhythm element). I feel the game is difficult enough without turn limits.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

im ogoing to beat a hard game but not because you told me to

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if you got me on your steam friends list and want a hard game: beat my first two levels or hardester times

if not here they are:
hexagon: 82:00
hexagoner: 86:54
hardester: 22:30 (the easy target)

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluYD0Hr3og

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Swelter Discharge posted:

im ogoing to beat a hard game but not because you told me to

What game?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i will in honor of this month defeat the mainline contra series and castlevania 1 for nes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i beat crysis 2 on hard and it bugged and took all my upgrades and weapons away just before the hardest part so i'm counting that too

• Locked thread