Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER

4/17/2020: Listen guys, Imma be straight with you. Some of the stuff below is just straight up outdated. If you don't know how to stream by this point, there are a plethora of tutorials available on the internet to get you started - all you really need to do is download OBS and get working from there. Some of the stuff below is still valid but frankly this thread is mostly for just letting the Let's Play community know that you're streaming. Please don't take any of the following :words: as gospel because I just can't be assed to rewrite this whole guide! Just post!!!!!!!!!!

1/18/2023: just watch something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GalbTuZD2-A who cares just post your fuckin stream link

DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER DISCLAIMER

Now that that's said and done:

Stream banner courtesy of nine-gear crow!

Related Links: SSLP Test PosterRulesLP ArchiveMaster ListNew LP Annoucement ThreadCo-Commentation StationRecomendation ThreadRequest ListLet's Play RSS feed

Welcome to the Let's Stream Megathread!

There aren't a ton of rules for posting in this thread or what sort of streams are allowed here - you can do whole game playthroughs, one-offs, co-op matches, game reviews, it doesn't matter. You can also post about specific streaming questions, including software (ie. obs or xsplit) or hosting services (ie. Twitch vs. Hitbox vs. Youtube). As long as your post is centured around livestreaming and has a very obvious video gaming base, feel free to post here. The only limit is YOUR IMAGINATION! and the things I'll put below.

FAQ:

What the hell is streaming?

Streaming is a means of live broadcasting to the internet. There are a bunch of sites available for you to start streaming, the most notable of which being Twitch.tv, Hitbox, Beam, and Youtube. There are other sites available as well, but those mentioned will probably give you the best service. Feel free to post about any alternatives that you find.

Which streaming site should I use?

That depends entirely on your preferences:

Twitch

Pros

--By far the most widely used site, has a much bigger viewer base
--Generally stable for most users
--Easy to set up and use
--Wide variety of mods and bots avaiable exclusively to Twitch
--Relatively decent delay (~10s)
--Owned by Amazon, not likely to close anytime soon

Cons

--The viewer base as a whole is generally horrible
--Twitch face emotes
--Stability is spotty during big events (tournaments, agdq, etc)

Twitch Notes:
--If you use Twitch, be warned that they are relatively strict about banning accounts that stream games they don't approve of. This includes, but is not limited to, the games on this list.)
--Twitch will mute your saved videos if they include copyrighted music (see below).

Hitbox

Pros

--More leniency on the games allowed to stream (though the hitbox TOS does prohibit sexual content)
--Better chat options (ability to post images to chat, etc).

Cons

--Not quite as easy to set up
--Much less universally stable for all users
--Much smaller userbase (though that may be a pro for some)
--AFAIK not owned by any parent company, no promise of longevity

Mixer

Pros

--Very short delay (0-5s)
--Has a points system where you can play games or participate with the chat
--Owned by Microsoft

Cons

--Very small community
--The points system is kind of dumb
--Not universally stable for all computers/browsers

Youtube

+ Has DVR feature (your viewers can go back in time and i.e. watch the bossfight you just finished again and then hop back to "live"
+ Has highest quality of all of the services atm (kbps upload)
+ Has quality options for everyone, not just for partnered accounts
+ Allows you to store VODs (past streams) indefinitely (it's YouTube after all )

- gaming.youtube.com is insanely hidden, for whatever reason. The main site doesn't even link to it. Because of that discovery is harder than on dedicated streaming sites. However, if you have subscribers already, there is no difference to reach those compared to other streaming services.
- No "Subscribe" button (people paying you monthly). YT is trying to catch up, but Twitch is so far the leader in this, with plenty of chat tools to support that (sub-only chat, etc

How do I do this video game streaming?

You can download free software such as OBS or Xsplit which will enable you to stream to various sites (also for free). Scroll down a bit further in this post and there's a bunch of guides by both goons here and major hosts for getting started, as well as some other more complex stuff if you decide to go deep.

Free software exists (such as OBS) as well as paid software (Xsplit - free to start but includes some paid features). Regardless of the software you use, there are many guides available to customize your streaming experience:

quote:

Getting Started on Twitch with OBS

Getting Started on Hitbox with OBS (links straight to connection settings, but also contains a generic OBS guide for your convenience)

Getting Started on Twitch with Xsplit

Getting Started on Hitbox with Xsplit

Does my stream have to be all high-quality, serious and LP-centric?

Of course not! This is a place to play games with others or to LP in real time without the constraints of needing your own thread. That being said, this is Something Awful so don't get all pissy if people make criticisms about your webcam screamfest.

Can I stream movies with friends and post it here?

Slowbeef posted:

Hi all. Apparently, I missed some drama while I was away. I'm not gonna dredge up all of it yet, but I have to say this:

Absolutely do not stream movies and link to it here, even if you are riffing on them or you will be banned.

Absolutely do not stream movies and link to it here, even if you are riffing on them or you will be banned.

Don't rules-lawyer with me on this; if you want to do it, you have to keep it wholly off-site, or at least this forum. I don't want it involved with the Let's Play forum at all. Even if it's a game-related movie, it doesn't belong here, and it's not kosher in CD either. I know streaming happens off-site, but you can't use the LP forum to advertise if/when you are doing this.

I've got something to add to the OP!

Knock yourself out. Anything that makes life easier for you will probably make life easier for others so I'm more than willing to add it.

I have so many questions!!!!!

Feel free to ask away. Most of the people who post in this thread have been doing it for quite a while and are generally willing to assist others. If your question is overly technical in nature, you might want to cross-post to the LP Tech Support Fort.

Roar fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Posting Guidelines:

- Post a link to your stream

- Say what game/s you're playing

- Say if you're streaming now or later*

Use your own judgement on how often you advertise your stream. Seriously, posting that you're streaming more than once or twice a day is probably too much without having a good reason to do so. You can reply and converse about streams all drat day, though, if you so choose.

*posting to say that you'll be playing eight hours from now or something like that is pretty silly because literally no one will remember to pencil you into their calendars

DO NOT DO THESE THINGS:

- Don't post that you're not streaming. That's what Twitter is for.

- Don't post a donation stream without moderator permission. That's been a SA global rule for a while. They can ban your rear end.

---(Note that this does NOT include charity streams, per Geop. Go nuts with that bullshit.

- Don't shill your bullshit here. Having a patreon or kickstarter or loving paypal button on your twitch.tv channel is fine if you're into that sort of thing but don't try and make a business out of it here, Christ. This leads from the previous rule: sellout all you want in your own channel but leave SA out of it.

- Don't take things too seriously. This is a cool place for cool people, just relax and play some goddamn games.
I stole parts of this from the last streaming thread. I'm very, very sorry if you have a problem with that.

Helpful User Guides:

quote:

Some helpful advice for streaming:

STOP CARING ABOUT HOW MANY VIEWERS YOU HAVE

Let's face it: every streamer wants to entertain the world. We'd all like to use our amazing game playing skills to host a sort of pseudo-party with a bunch of friends (or enemies). That being said, there are few things worse than listening to a stream that the broadcaster is pretty much saying "gee I wish there were more people here" - this is annoying to listen to and insulting to the people who chose to watch; it basically is saying that they're not good enough. If you aren't getting enough viewers, switch games! There are billions-ish of a games out there for you to try your hand at, switch up genres! Just have fun while you're doing it and people will come back for more.

DON'T BE UNWILLING TO CHANGE

If you just wanted to play video games, then you would just play them - you wouldn't bother setting up twitch or hitbox or whatever accounts, you wouldn't bother screwing around with OBS, you wouldn't spend a lot of time playing with little red boxes to make sure everything lines up properly on your broadcasting windows. At the end of the day, you're broadcasting to include a group of people into your little gaming circle - your viewers are who you're streaming for (especially if you're monetizing). If they have a criticism or request to change, put serious thought into instituting said change! Don't bend over backwards for one person if they're way off-base, mind you, but when the majority has a valid request, you might want to consider it. We're all here to have a good time, after all!

ALWAYS - ALWAYS - ALWAYS RECORD LOCALLY

(if you care about your VOD/stream archival footage and are using Twitch)

Twitch instituted a copyright protection system that muted sections of audio of a stream if it detected any protected music. When it rolled out, it was hilarious easy to circumvent - now, though, the audio removal is server-side and completely irreversible. If you desperately want to play Pandora sick dubstep wubs over your stream that's your own business, but be prepared for Twitch to silence you completely for any future viewers.

Vifs posted:

IRC poo poo for twitch

The Good
-Fixes almost every issue with chat (ie. not loading or not displaying messages)
-Because its IRC you get useful features like timestamps and join/leave notifications
-If you are a real nerd you already have a IRC client installed and running almost 24/7
-You can use commands like .ban Name, or .timeout Name Time
-Big IRC clients like MIRC have quite a few plugins for it
-Customizable background and text colors, font, and pretty much everything else, because of this, it is way nicer for chat overlays too
-You can join multiple channels at once if needed

The Bad
-You have to set up an Oauth token, a big nasty string that you wont remember
-As far as I know of, there is no way to have the same username colors in IRC as on twitch
-No emotes(might be a pro for some)
-Harder to setup and use then in browser chat

Recommend Clients if you have no idea what you are doing
-MIRC (super common/popular on windows, but wants you to buy it at start up every time)
-HexChat (open source and will run on anything)
-XChat (A bit old and has basically been remade into Hex Chat)

They have made things quite easy to set up now. Twitch has set up a pretty good guide. Basically you just point the server at irc.twitch.tv:6667 and log in with your username and oauth key, and join any channel like any IRC channel. Feel free to ask any questions if you can't get it set up, random issue pop up from time to time.

One more thing:
I have been coding a IRC client for twitch on and off for the last few months. It still doesn't have a lot of features fleshed out, but it does fix some issues I have with IRC: Username colors and emotes. I have a github repository set up here, but click here for just the installer. Please note this will only work on windows unless you set it up to compile with mono or something.

quote:

Downloading Archived Streams
The previous method was defunct so -

http://jdownloader.org/

Download JDownloader2 Beta. It works like a dream - copy the archived footage link into the program and it will download it. It will not, of course, restore muted audio.

Vifs posted:

So in the past I have had issues with audio volumes/balancing, today I tried out this virtual audio mixer that helped me make sure that everyone in skype, myself, and the game audio were correctly balanced. Both xsplit and obs make it a little hard to balance audio, so if you have had issues with that, I recommend this.

So both of these programs are dontionware, so they are free. You will need both Virtual Audio Cable and Voicemeeter from http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/index.htm

So voicemeeter is a virtual mixer, that has 3 inputs and outputs. You should mess around with it, but how I have it set up is:
Input:
Cable Output(this is for skype, I have Cable Input as my output in skype)
Microphone
Virtual Cable(I have this set to default in the playback device)
Output:
Speakers/Headset(I route skype and the virtual cable to this)
Virtual Cable(I route everything to this for xsplit)

Because everything is handled with this, I set the virtual output as my microphone on xsplit, and mute the computer audio

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, or try to hit me up on my twitch channel, I have the IRC channel open almost 24/7.

vifs posted:

So I used to play music while I streamed, depending on the game, and I used Pandora. I wanted to move away from that and start using royalty free music, and I found there is a lot of it on SoundCloud.

So I wrote up a little program that will start up chrome and open up SoundCloud with a separate window that will display all the song info. You can use Xsplit/OBS to hook into that window so you don't have to worry about another screen overlapping it.

https://github.com/vifs/SoundCloudViewer
I have included the exe in the project so you do not have to compile it, but you will need chrome installed and be running windows. You can just download the whole thing as a Zip, under the "Clone or download" button, and run the exe. The exe is located at "SoundCloudViewer/SoundCloudViewer/bin/Debug"

Hopefully some of you find this useful, you can PM me if you have any questions.

Roar fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 9, 2017

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
http://www.hitbox.tv/Slur

Well, guess like I'm going to be the first to welcome this new thread with The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky 100% Orange Juice with WeeabooJudas and Dizaero!

Slur fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 6, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I support our streaming troops. :patriot:

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Plllllllaydies :heysexy:
You might want to grab the user guides from the last thread and just put them in the OP or something.

Also if anyone wants advice on xsplit message me or something.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Vifs posted:

You might want to grab the user guides from the last thread and just put them in the OP or something.

Also if anyone wants advice on xsplit message me or something.

I added the IRC one. The other one pretty much amounted to "don't use anything but Twitch or Hitbox" so I modified the OP to reflect as much.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Time to break this thread in with some Rex Rocket.

https://www.twitch.tv/lemonredvolution

Doseku fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 6, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Gonna play Binding of Isaac for an hour, hour and a halfish.

http://www.twitch.tv/Roar_SA

HEY I'M TALKIGN TO SLUR NOW

I accomplished literally nothing

I blame Slur

Roar fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 6, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Frozen Treasure is currently streaming the chinese NES version of Chrono Trigger if anyone's curious.

Now it's Castlevania.

Now it's Parodious.

Now it's over.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Aug 6, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hope this thread doesn't go away again. Please promise you won't get salty because of a few dumb jerks and close it like toddy did, Roar.

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Streaming some Mass Effect I have no idea where I am in this game, because I got lost in ArcheAge's beta.

edit: Done

Vifs fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 6, 2014

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Woo new thread!

https://www.twitch.tv/dhamster

Finished Serious Sam last time so next up from the backlog is Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, going to give that a shot on stream tonight.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 6, 2014

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Woo new thread! Party like it's 257 BC! (because I'm streaming Rome 2 Total War)

http://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
What's the feeling on stream donations in general? I notice that some Twitch people do it, but I was informed "they're usually jerks".

I don't mean using SA or this thread or anything for plugging a donation stream, I just meant in the general case.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
I think it's fine, as long as it's an out-of-the-way link and they're not shilling for donations on stream. It's a way for people to support those who spend a lot of time streaming. Nothing wrong with the practice itself.

Now, if someone has a giant link right under the stream window, and they're constantly asking their viewers to pay them more money? That crosses a line for me.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's kind of obnoxious when they have a huge fuckoff ticker counting all the one dollar donations and take a couple of minutes every time to say thank you so so much for the donations i really appreciate it because this is all my income right now so thanks xxxgokufuckerxxx69 for the five dollars i really appreciate it man. If they've just got a donation link and maybe say a short thank you on stream, it's okay. As with everything people make on the internet, it's not really a problem if they want to be paid and people want to pay them, as long as it doesn't change the end result too much.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

slowbeef posted:

What's the feeling on stream donations in general? I notice that some Twitch people do it, but I was informed "they're usually jerks".

I don't mean using SA or this thread or anything for plugging a donation stream, I just meant in the general case.

I think it's a bit weird and pointless. Just adding a subscription option to one's twitch channel seems like a much better and far less intrusive way of letting a viewer pay money to the streamer if they enjoy the stream.

vvvv e: Maybe. I figured it was a thing you could just enable if you wanted to. :ohdear:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 6, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Don't you need to be a special snowflake streamer to get subscribers on Twitch?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

frozentreasure posted:

Don't you need to be a special snowflake streamer to get subscribers on Twitch?

You can get around it (sorta) by manually e-mailing them if you don't meet the stated requirements. Granted, I leveraged Retsupurae to do so and told Lowtax to do the same with SA in general. But if you wanna try and get partnered for streaming, there's no harm in asking.

ZOOP MASTER 50 CAL
Apr 14, 2004

baby hipster pope
You need to be popular or otherwise special and magical in order to get a subscription button on your twitch/hitbox channel, which means that most people only have good old-fashioned panhandling as an avenue to earning ten cents an hour from playing games for the internet. If this pisses you off, please imagine me cackling at you with gusto every time you are watching a stream where someone asks for money.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
It also depends on what the person is playing and how much effort they are actually putting into it. If you're blind streaming the latest humble bundle you bought for a dollar because you're bored, then gently caress off with your donation links. On the other end of the scale, I sometimes watch Magic Online draft streams. I can totally understand asking for some compensation for a quality draft stream, considering the events cost some serious bucks to enter in, and the information you get from watching a skilled person play draft is valuable in itself.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
As polarizing as they were, I think that the Tipping 40s had a pretty good system - they didn't mention the donations on sight or really even in the streams/videos themselves, but they gave thank you's to those who did at the beginning of their recording sessions.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
I'm generally opposed to shilling for donations unless the donations are going to a good charity rather than lining one's own pockets.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

slowbeef posted:

I think the more screen real estate and stream time people direct to shilling for donations, the more annoying it gets. If they have a (not obnoxiously huge) donation link on their profile to support them getting better equipment/more games/card packs or whatever, I could care less.

The subscriber feature is a great way to monetize a stream, but like a lot of other neat Twitch features (Stream Teams, transcoding) it's off-limits to everyone without a big following on Twitch or a large gaming YouTube channel.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.
I don't see the big deal with having a donation button or steam link in the desc. People wanting to buy games or throw a few dollars to the streamer show up now and then. poo poo shouldn't be on the game screen or interfering with the stream in any way though, unless it is for some sort of event.

Getting subbed on twitch (partnered) requires an average of 500+ viewers or a linked YT account with 100,000's of subs, and they want 3 streams a week. They do make exceptions to these figures, but that gives you an idea of how unlikely it is to be subbed for just about anyone who isn't trying to make actual money at this sort of thing. Isn't like YT partnership where they hand it out to anyone and roll over payments until you make a few bucks.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
Going to stream a Demon's Crest playthrough(blind) in about half an hour. Afterwards, I might play random games for the SNES/NES.

https://www.twitch.tv/garbanzoguy

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

I think that this is kinda the great thing about streams, if someone has some annoying donation ticker or keeps asking for donations you can probably find someone else playing the same game. Also I agree with most of these people having a small little link somewhere on your page is no big deal, and every if you do go crazy with donation stuff as long as you don't bring it up in the thread that you want money, I don't really care.

Also from what I've seen if you really want donations have it go towards something real. The last time I really asked for donations on stream was during my crazy 12 hour karaoke stream, to let people skip the song queue, where I go so drunk I couldn't sit up, and even then I only brought it up a few times during that stream.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I made https://twitter.com/SALPStreams if anyone wants the web page in twitter form, though you can't tell when people stop streaming.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:siren: IMPORTANT INFO ABOUT TWITCH ARCHIVES :siren:
http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/08/update-changes-to-vods-on-twitch/

Figured here would be the best place to post this. tldr Twitch is redoing its servers and is nuking all past broadcasts. If you want them saved you will need to export them to youtube thought their video manager.

Traelith
May 13, 2014
Today I shall be playing a little game called Fallout 3! I am currently in the town of Megaton and will likely be doing random things. Maybe get on with the plot at some time. Do feel free to watch and follow me here http://www.twitch.tv/traelith

I am playing RIGHT NOW!

Bleh. Too many technical issues and game freezing. Not that I was doing all that great.

Traelith fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 6, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Smite posted:

Getting subbed on twitch (partnered) requires an average of 500+ viewers or a linked YT account with 100,000's of subs, and they want 3 streams a week. They do make exceptions to these figures, but that gives you an idea of how unlikely it is to be subbed for just about anyone who isn't trying to make actual money at this sort of thing. Isn't like YT partnership where they hand it out to anyone and roll over payments until you make a few bucks.

Did they lessen the requirements? When I was working with one of my friends to get him partnered/a sub button he was told they required either: 5 streams a week with an average of 500+ viewers, three streams a week with an average of 800+ viewers, or a single stream a week with upwards of 1,200 viewers.

Obviously if you're a big youtuber or you're a famous LoL/DotA/SC/ESPORTS star, you can get it sooner. And certain channels like SGDQ gets partnership despite streaming for a few weeks straight twice a year.

As for donations and stuff, I think donating games and stuff is cool, and as long as they aren't shilling for money, then donating that's cool too. One of the streams I follow has a donation bar and the guy has it linked to his phone, and says a quick thank you, without interrupting gameplay, whenever he gets a donation. He, otherwise, never mentions it.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
Going to stream some Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island. Never played much of this game but what I remember it being fun.
Not sure how much I play or how far this gets but hope you will join and have some fun nonetheless
http://www.twitch.tv/sagacioussa

Done with the stream made it past level one. If you where on and have some tips regarding the stream I would be glad to hear it.

sagacious fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 6, 2014

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Streaming Starbound with some dicks who are way better than me.

http://www.hitbox.tv/lizardwizard

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Kuvo posted:

Figured here would be the best place to post this. tldr Twitch is redoing its servers and is nuking all past broadcasts. If you want them saved you will need to export them to youtube thought their video manager.

Wow, that absolutely makes me sick. There's a lot of things I still want to watch, and a lot of things I want to be able to watch in the future, but I'm not some big company like, say, Twitch, who can afford to keep things on their servers...

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Kuvo posted:

Kinda makes sense to me. I have a bunch of playthrough highlights on twitch that have little to no views, so I can see why they're tightening up on such a money hog service.

I'm not a fan of it, but I can understand why. At least they are giving a 2 week grace period to upload your streams to YT.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

slowbeef posted:

Generally, I'm against it. That said, I make exceptions if it's directed towards a charity, for example this year I will be taking part in Extra Life and so will be doing the whole "25 straight hours" thing.

I may be a little incoherent by the end but all the donations I ask for will be through EL and benefiting Boston Children's Hospital.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
More on Twitch changes: Audio Recognition is coming for VOD (archived streams). I don't stream much so Ican't really comment, but this might make archiving streams now a bit more of a priority. Possibly why the Youtube backup is currently disabled?

http://blog.twitch.tv/2014/08/3136/

Vifs
Jan 13, 2010

Streaming more Mass Effect, story wise still pretty early into the game.

Edit: Seems twitch is having some issues, tweet at @TwitchSupport with your username if you tried to go live and it didn't work.

edit: stream over

Vifs fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 7, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Polsy posted:

I made https://twitter.com/SALPStreams if anyone wants the web page in twitter form, though you can't tell when people stop streaming.

Added to the OP. Thanks brohammer!

Also fixed the links in the IRC guide.

Cheez posted:

Wow, that absolutely makes me sick. There's a lot of things I still want to watch, and a lot of things I want to be able to watch in the future, but I'm not some big company like, say, Twitch, who can afford to keep things on their servers...

I'm not surprised tbh. A lot of people don't even know that twitch automatically does archiving.

Anything you really want to save forever and ever can be downloaded using this - it gets the flv files for you in super inconvenient 30 minute blocks but it's better than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Hitbox can now do IRC as well. It's unofficial but written by someone who actually works there:
http://www.reddit.com/r/hitbox/comments/1w6xnj/irc_update_on_irc_functionality_and_new/