Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Have they fixed playing the open world on a harder difficulty resulting in a thunderstorm that permanently burns away the forest biome via lightning? I know it feels petty but I want the weather to suck without also ruining the entire aesthetics of my base totally permanently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think my biggest problem with Icarus is that some missions are impossible for me to beat solo without cheesing the AI by building a bunch of hedgehogs or learning how to joust the bear. So that usually means playing a mission at least two to three times, and they're not so fun that I really enjoy playing it over and over again.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Yeah. There are a surprising number of mechanics that involve waves of attacking animals. I’m uncertain to what extent it is possible to avoid them, though I’m definitely aware of some alternatives.

There are definitely farming missions, for instance. And progression is primarily xp-gated and the open world fairly big. I don’t know if it’s necessary to respawn resources with a thumper or if you can just go further afield. You can also use mission currency to order building supplies from drop ships.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 18, 2024

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
My biggest problem with the game, cuz my eyes suck, was the tiny unadjustable font/hud element sizes, it's what made me not pick it up after the free weekend in the end. That and the wolf boss.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Worth mentioning that Icarus goes on sale less often than most, something like 4 times a year at most. Just in case anyone is on the fence.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Factorio is basically a survival sim and it never goes on sale and I respect that.

Don't think I've played it since '22 but I keep it installed and updated and they keep updating it...

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 18, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Icarus:

Once you've made decent armor, weapons and unlocked health potions (they go by a different name like "health enhancer" or something) you can 1vMany anything in the game. That aside fwiw I don't think setting up hedgehogs is considered cheese by the devs. Also once you unlock fortifications you can kill nearly any amount of animals before they even manage to put a dent in the walls making the defense missions pretty easy.

I haven't had to replay a single mission once, and I've done a decent chunk of the wave assault and boss animal stuff. The scariest thing has been doing the enzyme extractor stuff, and ironically it was the second of three waves that was the hardest, and the last wave was bears.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is grounded poorly tuned for solo play? I got three shot by an enemy that was squatting at my home base, which is in what I presume is a normally safe zone A wolf spider on the rock shore just outside of Oak Lab, and this was after I'd juet finished making my first set of armor acorn and feel pretty tanky. Made the two hours I spent up to that point feel pretty pointless, since this was the first big enemy I'd engaged and it doesn't seem like it would have been any different If I'd met them in the first twenty minutes.

I'm fine with difficulty and character progression, but if fundamentally the devs expected 2-4 people to fight their harder fights, someone tell me now.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Nah those fuckers are super loving deadly and you're supposed to avoid them until you're stronger. If they're around your base they've probably got a lair nearby and that's a sign you should find a safer place to build your base.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks, the frustration is lessening and I'll relocate next time I play

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Also, if you poke around the oak tree during the day, you can find their home base. It’s very much not a cozy neighborhood. You basically set up outside spider central.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

my group did that and had to fend off night spider-zillas attacks constantly. until the end game when they were just delivering good spider parts right to our door. poo poo ruled.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

My second base the last time I played (playing solo) was a water base in the pond to the north of the oak tree. I had to endure some close encounters, but it was very defensible because I could control the direction of attacks effectively.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah Wolf Spiders are one of the nastiest creatures in the game, you don't wanna mess with them until waaay later. Acorn Armor may be tanky for its tier but it's still Tier 1.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Speedball posted:

Yeah Wolf Spiders are one of the nastiest creatures in the game, you don't wanna mess with them until waaay later. Acorn Armor may be tanky for its tier but it's still Tier 1.

well yeah, you cross a wolf with a spider and what do you expect?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Fortunately wolf spiders and most mobs in the game aren't random spawns, they all stick to set territories. The wolf spiders do wander around a bit at night but they only go so far. There's a ton of places where you can build a base that basically never gets attacked outside of scripted events. Grounded is a pretty great game and if it had a regular server mode instead of drop in drop out to one of four characters my friends and I would probably have played like 80 hours of it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Fortunately wolf spiders and most mobs in the game aren't random spawns, they all stick to set territories. The wolf spiders do wander around a bit at night but they only go so far. There's a ton of places where you can build a base that basically never gets attacked outside of scripted events. Grounded is a pretty great game and if it had a regular server mode instead of drop in drop out to one of four characters my friends and I would probably have played like 80 hours of it.

Doesn't it have an option for server based and drop in/drop out? One of the reasons I was impressed with the game was you could do either.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah do NOT build a house on that flat rock right next to the big oak tree lab entrance, wolf spiders like to roam around there at night. If you go 2-3 rocks to the east it's pretty safe. Just to the east of the juice box and then you'll also get free juice.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I do think that combat in Grounded is tuned for group play, especially with the mid-end game fights. I had a much more enjoyable solo experience when I switched to Mild mode.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This looks very early on, but I stumbled onto it on Steam and really like the look and vibe of the initial screenshots. https://store.steampowered.com/app/2681030/Outbound/ Kind of an upbeat Raft crossed with a tiny bit of Pacific Drive, maybe?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah do NOT build a house on that flat rock right next to the big oak tree lab entrance, wolf spiders like to roam around there at night. If you go 2-3 rocks to the east it's pretty safe. Just to the east of the juice box and then you'll also get free juice.

I literally built adjacent to the juice box, like it's the back wall, but I'll just relocate. It FEELS safe because it's open, whereas the starting area is claustrophobic.

I may not play again before Dragon's Dogma releases but I do intend to play more, this is a game I want to "finish".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Your can build a liquid storage thingy under the drink boxes straw and it will capture thr drops of juice.

Also found grounded combat not bad as long as you have peeped all the bugs and have weapons that exploit their weaknesses.

The worst is when you get the infected wolf spider wandering around the oak tree.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Evil Kit posted:

Doesn't it have an option for server based and drop in/drop out? One of the reasons I was impressed with the game was you could do either.

We tried to get into it when we all had gamepass so maybe it was fixed since then or before then but not on gamepass, but basically you can join your friends and play as one of the three kids they're not playing as but anyone can play as that kid. We usually play with five or six people all hopping on at different times and we didn't want to like... fight over skills or feats or equiment and poo poo. Like "Oh you took the glasses kid out and didn't fill up the tank" didn't really jive with our playstyle.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

twistedmentat posted:

Your can build a liquid storage thingy under the drink boxes straw and it will capture the drops of juice.

That's cool!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You can play grounded solo but IMO it really wasn't built for it, for example there was some wave defense challenge in the shrubs that felt entirely impossible as a solo player. What am I supposed to do against 6 larvae and 3 spiders as a single person?

The game's just a lot more enjoyable when you turn off stuff that's clearly tuned/scaled for more hands (a group) to deal with, like item durability and food spoilage. I do like a lot of the gameplay options they added which let you tune stuff and if you're playing solo I absolutely would tune it away from defaults or you're gonna have a bad time (or are a bit masochistic)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LLSix posted:

That's cool!

Yea I learned that from Neebs Gaming Grounded playthrough.

Bhodi posted:

You can play grounded solo but IMO it really wasn't built for it, for example there was some wave defense challenge in the shrubs that felt entirely impossible as a solo player. What am I supposed to do against 6 larvae and 3 spiders as a single person?

The game's just a lot more enjoyable when you turn off stuff that's clearly tuned/scaled for more hands (a group) to deal with, like item durability and food spoilage. I do like a lot of the gameplay options they added which let you tune stuff and if you're playing solo I absolutely would tune it away from defaults or you're gonna have a bad time (or are a bit masochistic)

Yea, I like how you can switch stuff on and off on the fly. I just keep those off, and stamina as well so I can hoof it if I get into a situation I can't win. Also you can turn on invincibility in fights where you absolutely need to be part of a team. I beat the Broodmother without it, but a black widow? gently caress no. You need someone tanking it while others attack it. But most of the time i leave it off.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Really digging Ostranauts. The game needs more time to bake for sure but what is there is cool as heck. I love games that give me a customizable moving base And it's been awesome to see my ship grow from a little tug up to full scale salvage vessel.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I always thought Stationeers was for smelly nerds, and apparently the developers think so as well. They added showers.

Though this really exposes how weird the player models are. Their proportions are just… off.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1770757017876983934?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

Not really sure what to say here.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It's an interesting patch but it frankly won't change the way I play much. The sorts of large structures that you can put serious engineering projects into require like 20 stacks of steel and an outrageous amount of gas to pressurize. You're not doing to make progress on an actual station unless you rush high end tech so you can actually get the massive resources required to do basic station stuff.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The water fountain is good though, the fix to the day counter and storms is good. I'm interested in what they're doing next: some hints that they're splitting "volatiles" into methane and hydrogen, which could be interesting. I hope they fix multiplayer soon, it's so hosed.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well if nothing else that's quite a cast

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
After all that, I did end up buying Icarus. It reminds me so much of Ark i expect a dino to walk by. ACtually that would be great because the biggest issue is the rarity of animals to hunt. I can't even make a bedroll because you need fur and animals only seem to drop 1 each and I can't find 20 animals.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Evil Kit posted:

Icarus:

Once you've made decent armor, weapons and unlocked health potions (they go by a different name like "health enhancer" or something) you can 1vMany anything in the game. That aside fwiw I don't think setting up hedgehogs is considered cheese by the devs. Also once you unlock fortifications you can kill nearly any amount of animals before they even manage to put a dent in the walls making the defense missions pretty easy.

I haven't had to replay a single mission once, and I've done a decent chunk of the wave assault and boss animal stuff. The scariest thing has been doing the enzyme extractor stuff, and ironically it was the second of three waves that was the hardest, and the last wave was bears.

Yeah if you spec up the bow tree and steel tools most missions go: make grass armor, crude bow, 5-6 stone arrows, kill a couple animals to get your bone arrow/bone knife supply started, find a cave and mine enough for an anvil & steel pick, make pick & mine everything else and make the rest of your steel tools, make a longbow on the anvil & then abandon everything except the anvil & some steel for repairs while you finish the mission. Once you know what you're doing it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to go from naked start to steel tools + longbow & running around for another 10 min to finish up killing stuff or collecting bear asses or whatever.

The only ones that are really different are specific T4 missions where you end up having to do stupid long craft chains/material grinds and then hope that you don't find out that oops! the climactic end mission engagement is tuned insanely hard.

It's very pretty even with the asset flipping, gathering sounds & such is pretty satisfying, and crafting/building aren't too terrible but given the cost something like Enshrouded is a far better buy. If you want chill/zen survival Vintage Story does it much better imo.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 22, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Finding animals is super easy once you get the skill to see health bars or w/e. Just run around your starting area for a bit and they should start spawning in pretty quick

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

idiotsavant posted:

Yeah if you spec up the bow tree and steel tools most missions go: make grass armor, crude bow, 5-6 stone arrows, kill a couple animals to get your bone arrow/bone knife supply started, find a cave and mine enough for an anvil & steel pick, make pick & mine everything else and make the rest of your steel tools, make a longbow on the anvil & then abandon everything except the anvil & some steel for repairs while you finish the mission. Once you know what you're doing it takes maybe 15-20 minutes to go from naked start to steel tools + longbow & running around for another 10 min to finish up killing stuff or collecting bear asses or whatever.

The only ones that are really different are specific T4 missions where you end up having to do stupid long craft chains/material grinds and then hope that you don't find out that oops! the climactic end mission engagement is tuned insanely hard.

It's very pretty even with the asset flipping, gathering sounds & such is pretty satisfying, and crafting/building aren't too terrible but given the cost something like Enshrouded is a far better buy. If you want chill/zen survival Vintage Story does it much better imo.

gently caress no I don't want to play VS lol. I'd rather just play Minecraft if I wanted a block based zen game.

Fwiw I think the devs are pretty past the "asset" flip stage. And it is fun optimizing what you think you need to finish a particular mission, or jacking the difficulty up to hard so you have limited downs if you're solo.

twistedmentat posted:

After all that, I did end up buying Icarus. It reminds me so much of Ark i expect a dino to walk by. ACtually that would be great because the biggest issue is the rarity of animals to hunt. I can't even make a bedroll because you need fur and animals only seem to drop 1 each and I can't find 20 animals.

Run further out after staying in place for a bit. A lot of animals will spawn in as you move, so it's pretty easy to force more to spawn in by traveling. Make sure you're hitting the bones of animals left behind after emptying loot from a skinned animal, it gets you a bit of extra bone when you're trying to make that stuff. If you haven't yet, bow and arrows + sneak attacks from stealth are your friend for downing herbivores before they run away.

I will second the "see health bar" talent being very helpful for finding animals.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Evil Kit posted:

Run further out after staying in place for a bit. A lot of animals will spawn in as you move, so it's pretty easy to force more to spawn in by traveling. Make sure you're hitting the bones of animals left behind after emptying loot from a skinned animal, it gets you a bit of extra bone when you're trying to make that stuff. If you haven't yet, bow and arrows + sneak attacks from stealth are your friend for downing herbivores before they run away.

I will second the "see health bar" talent being very helpful for finding animals.

I was trying to figure out how to skin animals without a knife because i missed there was a stone knife and was just thinking there was just a bone knife, and I saw "hit the skeleton for more bones" hint.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's been a while since I played Icarus, isn't there a talent or tool or something that increases yield from animals? I remember something giving me more per kill so I could headshot one or two deer and be done with almost everything until I wanted to come back for a suit of armor.

That and dropping with an unlocked pick that could mine iron and a smelter already in my drop pod made the start take like 5 minutes.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

twistedmentat posted:

I think I'll hold off on It then, wait for it to be like 25bux or something.

Maybe I'll buy ark ascended.

Bit of an older post but yes, most of the negative reviews are from launch when it was in a much worse state.

I've enjoyed the game and got well more than money's worth at like 500 hours or so I think. It's a little shallow, it's a little grindy but if you mod it, it becomes a lot more enjoyable and chill if that's the kind of game you're looking for.

It's got the bones to be amazing in the future, so long as they keep plugging away at it, like they have, with weekly updates for well over 100 weeks now I believe.

I'm a fan of the lore/story and that's something I don't normally care for in games, but it's kinda nice to have that in a survival game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Ah, I see you picked it up in the end anyway. I'd be happy to jump in and help you get started sometime if you like, I used to play this a lot with my wife and she enjoyed streaming it for a while too.

At the start, if you get the basic 3D printed tools and the furnace it can make starting new missions much easier till you work out optimal routes etc, assuming you're not playing open world (you should be tbh).

But yeah, check out mods, they make it less grindy and annoying in certain parts of the game and are just good from a QOL POV.