Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

twistedmentat posted:

I was trying to figure out how to skin animals without a knife because i missed there was a stone knife and was just thinking there was just a bone knife, and I saw "hit the skeleton for more bones" hint.

don't worry, soon you'll be depopulating the local snow wolf population in the arctic regions to feed your bone addiction for More Epoxy.

All of the epoxy. So much epoxy.

also when you have the tech points for it, don't sleep on taming mounts. They make travel and gathering expeditions so so much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah, a moa makes the game so much better in terms of getting around.

I'm looking forward to when they introduce the vehicles they've been testing and messing about with for the last couple of years. I'm sure it's still a long way off though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Speaking of Icarus: the water purity update just dropped! :toot:

Now there's an actual reason to progress through the various tech levels and not just stop at a stone rain catcher.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Evil Kit posted:

don't worry, soon you'll be depopulating the local snow wolf population in the arctic regions to feed your bone addiction for More Epoxy.

All of the epoxy. So much epoxy.

also when you have the tech points for it, don't sleep on taming mounts. They make travel and gathering expeditions so so much easier.

Oh yea, I love riding poo poo in ark. I think thats why i decided on this, i wanted something like ark but not ark. A stone to sci fi survival game. Also with a different type of Jank.

I am doing open world because I did 3 missions and was "wait so I go into, do something, then leave? that is not what I wanted". Looks like open world gives you the same stuff just without the limited scope of the mission. Are any of the DLCs worth getting? The basic map has all the bioms and the dlc maps seem to be just one biom each.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
All maps are very different tbh and add some content, new missions etc etc..

Only person who can really decide if it's worth it is you and how much the DLCs costs will impact you.

If you're going to enjoy new maps, animals and missions and the cash isn't something you'll notice then just take the plunge.

If that stuff isn't as important and it stops you eating for a week, perhaps eat over buying them.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oh no, Reinforced Wood is bugged and when you make it it just turns into regular wood building parts but without the Reinforced buff. RIP my beeswax.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea, I love riding poo poo in ark. I think thats why i decided on this, i wanted something like ark but not ark. A stone to sci fi survival game. Also with a different type of Jank.

I am doing open world because I did 3 missions and was "wait so I go into, do something, then leave? that is not what I wanted". Looks like open world gives you the same stuff just without the limited scope of the mission. Are any of the DLCs worth getting? The basic map has all the bioms and the dlc maps seem to be just one biom each.

pretty much what Ragnar said. The spring sale happened so I've ended up getting the two expansions cause I'm closing in on 100 hours of Icarus and at this point I'm down for some expansions with new animals and one with a significantly different biome.

I'd say give it until you hit t4 tech and run a bit into the grind to see if the game really clicks with you before grabbing one of the expansions, both of which are basically entirely new 64x64 maps to explore. By the time you do we'll probably get the next major update. I will give you a fair warning for the t4 grind, Copper and Gold both become very valuable so make sure to stock up on both if you don't want to get stone walled too hard. I also skipped through bio-fuel straight to t4 and regretted it a bit my first time, the deep mining drills are very powerful and important to make imo. Find some deep mining points for gold and copper and the t4 grind will be way less "goddamn I need how much?".

But also epoxy.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 23, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The prices in Medieval Dynasty are insane. Saddles cost twice as much as an animal to put it on.

People will work for you, for free. All they ask is that you not starve them. Well, not starve them too much. A little starving is fine.

A six pack of beer costs more than a whole cow’s worth of meat.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Don't bother with the station tools in icarus unless you have way too much basic money and need to spend it cause you'll have to spend more repairing them a bunch and they aren't any more efficient than iron tools anyways. get the basic rear end survival backpack, the suit like 2-3 nodes in that lets you have water + air and some resists, movespeed module + maybe carry module, the station canteen and the station o2 tank and youre pretty much set, and if you eat it you're only out like 200 credits max. Further on the MXC furnace is really nice cause it only weighs like 3 lbs and its way easier to cart around, plus you dont have to farm a bunch of stone for your first furnace. MXC campfire isnt had either cause its hard to burn yourself on it plus its also light

Edit oh and for skills recommend you get the runspeed skills for your weapon of choice (go either knife or bow to start depending on what you prefer imo) and then absolutely make a beeline for the “pick up wood automatically when chopping trees” skill, it’s a massive QOL upgrade

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 23, 2024

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
The end game station tools are great. Esp the ones that let you move at full speed even while fully encumbered. But he is a long way off that.

Also as I previously said, if the grind is too much for you, mod the game. No need to make it a chore if it's too much. (It is).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

LLSix posted:

The prices in Medieval Dynasty are insane. Saddles cost twice as much as an animal to put it on.

People will work for you, for free. All they ask is that you not starve them. Well, not starve them too much. A little starving is fine.

A six pack of beer costs more than a whole cow’s worth of meat.

The whole economy is incredibly whack. Right near my village there's a spawn of vicents which drop like 70 meat each and you can sell haul for a 1000 coins or so. Mostly we've been selling excess cabbage. But now we need oats and rye for the animal feed and flax for clothing .. which we can't make because we don't have enough technology. So instead just go and kill some animals, sell meat and buy the clothing instead. Feels like, what's the point, you know??

Me and my friend have been plowing on and have a couple of villagers and some basic buildings now, but still it feels very.. micro-managery and arduous. We made a choice to ease our troubles by taking off the inventory weight limit and stamina, and toned some of the XP gains up and taxes & NPC consumption rates down. Because if not, we're gonna be playing the game until 2025 to get enough technology to unlock some of the better buildings! (it'll still take ages)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

TeaJay posted:

The whole economy is incredibly whack. Right near my village there's a spawn of vicents which drop like 70 meat each and you can sell haul for a 1000 coins or so. Mostly we've been selling excess cabbage. But now we need oats and rye for the animal feed and flax for clothing .. which we can't make because we don't have enough technology. So instead just go and kill some animals, sell meat and buy the clothing instead. Feels like, what's the point, you know??

Me and my friend have been plowing on and have a couple of villagers and some basic buildings now, but still it feels very.. micro-managery and arduous. We made a choice to ease our troubles by taking off the inventory weight limit and stamina, and toned some of the XP gains up and taxes & NPC consumption rates down. Because if not, we're gonna be playing the game until 2025 to get enough technology to unlock some of the better buildings! (it'll still take ages)

I'm just imagining medieval peasants watching future people spend money on a game to plow and farm cabbage.

I know that's what survival games are all about, it just strikes me as funny.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'm tired of hypothetical medieval peasants judging me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

RandomBlue posted:

I'm tired of hypothetical medieval peasants judging me.

None of them have ever had flavor blasted nacho cheese, so I don't care about their opinions.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The thing that ultimately made me never go back to medieval dynasty is how completely worthless your peasants are. They'll spend all season making like 4 cloth when you can make 200 a day if you felt like it

And yeah, the tech grind is miserable. Francis John just did a short series on the game and he ended up doing a spreadsheet to figure out the optimal XP rates and it was still years of grinding to build the last tavern

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Oh, if that's bad, gently caress that..I'm not touching it when it's coop enabled on gamepass.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The only thing Grounded is missing is the ability to tame a *big* insect as a mount. I want to charge through things with an armored ladybug or, I dunno, fly while riding a dragonfly.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Again I haven’t played both at length but definitely played more Sengoku and while the games seem pretty much identical in what they promise to deliver, it seems like Sengoku actually went for some balance and vibe compared to Medieval.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Azhais posted:

The thing that ultimately made me never go back to medieval dynasty is how completely worthless your peasants are. They'll spend all season making like 4 cloth when you can make 200 a day if you felt like it

And yeah, the tech grind is miserable. Francis John just did a short series on the game and he ended up doing a spreadsheet to figure out the optimal XP rates and it was still years of grinding to build the last tavern

I found they are pretty good at the farm, which is really tedious to do yourself. Also the log shed produces logs and planks pretty fast. Any crafting job is a bit different since you'd have to micromanage a lot how many you want etc. and might as well do it yourself.

What kills me is how there is a big rear end building resource storage where villagers pull materials from and automatically store their products. But you can't! In new games crafting from storage is starting to be a standard and the lack here is pretty miserable. You can't even craft from the crafting building's own chest! No, you need everything in your inventory.

Villagers need water, firewood and food, but they can't get it themselves from storage. I can't imagine how this feels when you have dozens of villagers. We have 6 and it's already a chore to keep them supplied.

Currently I'm thinking we're gonna boost the tech gain rates even further in our game , probably XP gains too.

Sengoku Dynasty definitely interests me too it's from a different dev though? Interesting to see if they dodged any stuff here that makes MD tedious.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 24, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TeaJay posted:

Villagers need water, firewood and food, but they can't get it themselves from storage. I can't imagine how this feels when you have dozens of villagers. We have 6 and it's already a chore to keep them supplied.

Yes they can. For water you just need a villager assigned to the well and empty buckets in the storage building, they'll fill them and put them in the food storage building. Villagers will consume food from food storage and take firewood or wood if needed from the main storage building. I built up to almost max size before I stopped playing and I never manually managed any of that.

e: I highly recommend disabling crafting times so you can craft stacks instantly or you're going to hate yourself after a while.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 24, 2024

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, for me it seemed like they definitely don't since their storage is empty and they start to get mood penalties.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TeaJay posted:

Okay, for me it seemed like they definitely don't since their storage is empty and they start to get mood penalties.

They don't move anything to their storage, it's just consumed when seasons change (or maybe daily? I forget). There's a screen you can check to see if you have enough for that. Mood can be affected by the type of food you're giving them, how insulated (or not) their housing is, what decorations you've put in the houses, etc...

Details are here but you'll see it says on that page you just need food & water in food storage: https://medieval-dynasty.fandom.com/wiki/Mood

The next biggest mood affecter after having enough food and water to survive is being assigned to a job they actually like. If you put them in something they hate or suck at their mood will start going down immediately. After that is insulation and then home decoration. Though my people didn't really need the decorations to stay happy.

Beef & cabbage is OP, cook as much as that poo poo as you can and sell the extra.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Icarus chat: I just started up the New Frontiers expansion and uh wow. If this was people's first encounter with Icarus I think a lot less would be down on it or calling it an asset flip. Actual alien/mutant creatures already in the first mission.

edit: holy poo poo there are endemic flying predators this is awesome.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 24, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Speedball posted:

The only thing Grounded is missing is the ability to tame a *big* insect as a mount. I want to charge through things with an armored ladybug or, I dunno, fly while riding a dragonfly.

Smallland has that stuff I think from the trailers I've seen. But yea, I never set up the massive Zipline networks people seem to do, so a mount would be much better.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Evil Kit posted:

Icarus chat: I just started up the New Frontiers expansion and uh wow. If this was people's first encounter with Icarus I think a lot less would be down on it or calling it an asset flip. Actual alien/mutant creatures already in the first mission.

edit: holy poo poo there are endemic flying predators this is awesome.

It gets better. I've not got that far myself as I'm trying to do all the original missions and keep getting distracted by other games though. But yeah, lava biome looks amazing from what Ive seen

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

It gets better. I've not got that far myself as I'm trying to do all the original missions and keep getting distracted by other games though. But yeah, lava biome looks amazing from what Ive seen

I for one look forward to a horrible fire-y death. I set my Open World to Hard, so only 3 downs for me. :getin:

Quantum Milkman
Jun 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Smallland has that stuff I think from the trailers I've seen. But yea, I never set up the massive Zipline networks people seem to do, so a mount would be much better.

I found that the mounts in Smallland were, if anything, too good, to the extent that they undermined the sense of scale in the game, and made it so that you could circumvent much of the challenge of exploration without ever having to face it even a first time.

Like, you can get a grasshopper mount very early on, and it's not just a slightly quicker way of getting from A to B that lets you escape from mobs if you're not interested in a fight. It's literally, from my home base, to this quest target location that I've never been to before in three hops, without me actually knowing where I'm going, or having to fight any of the new mobs on the way. And that was not even a nearby quest location, it was, at the time, a decent majority of the way to the edge of the map.

So what should have been a moderate trek with a nice sense of accomplishment at the end, instead became a triviality, and made this epic and awesome forest environment feel like it was the size of a shoebox.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
All I want to know about <insert tiny human here> game is do I get a wall-climbing gecko as a mount? Flight is for chumps.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LordSloth posted:

All I want to know about <insert tiny human here> game is do I get a wall-climbing gecko as a mount? Flight is for chumps.

You are thinking in the right direction, yesss.

Part of the reason I want them to fly on dragonflies in Grounded is we would totally call it the "Dragon-rider" DLC to go with the nerdy 80s D&D thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Dragonlance

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I set myself up with 2 bases in Icarus, just because I can't seem to figure out the weather report, and needing to find shelter is very important. And it needs to be decent shelter, i can't wait until I can build stuff out of stone so i don't loose my roof every time it hails.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
What's the best open worldish survival game (other than Subnautica, which I loved but finished) purely for solo play?

Like I don't care if the game can handle multiple players, but it needs to be really good solo - I won't be playing with others.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SlyFrog posted:

What's the best open worldish survival game (other than Subnautica, which I loved but finished) purely for solo play?

Like I don't care if the game can handle multiple players, but it needs to be really good solo - I won't be playing with others.
I mean, that's kind of like asking what the best FPS is. Really depends on what you're after. Genre? First person? Third person? Do you want AI companions because you're playing solo or do you want to be absolutely alone?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

twistedmentat posted:

I set myself up with 2 bases in Icarus, just because I can't seem to figure out the weather report, and needing to find shelter is very important. And it needs to be decent shelter, i can't wait until I can build stuff out of stone so i don't loose my roof every time it hails.

You can generally ignore most storms even with wood buildings in the Forest on Olympus, t4 storms don't usually spawn there. It takes at least two or three storms to cause actual issues for building structural integrity so long as all the pieces have at least green integrity.

I invested in upgraded wooden building pieces too cause I like the aesthetic they have, but once you get into t3 tech and are getting a lot of iron it isn't hard to make your important crafting building out of at least stone, and then everything else out of wood.

Concrete, now there's where it gets expensive lol. They do admittedly look pretty cool...

I think the talents for both stone and concrete discount crafting are worth picking up if you aren't a fan of a wood. I may eventually do that tbh and respect out of wood buildings, with the new reinforced wood pieces using beeswax that sort of replaces those talents.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 28, 2024

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SlyFrog posted:

would you like to hear about the piss game

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

would you like to hear about the piss game

i'd forgotten about the piss game how's that been going

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

SlyFrog posted:

I played a massive amount of Enshrouded and Sons of The Forest solo. The latter is explicitly designed as a SP game and the MP is more for goofing around.

SOTF is a horror game but half the time you'll be chilling in nature building log cabins and zip lining.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Honestly the one that I keep coming back to is Cataclysm. Not much to look at but it's got everything.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

30.5 Days posted:

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

30.5 Days posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYrasMvBP3Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU