Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

Been playing the Subnautica Deathrun mod which is an interesting replay.

Random spawn location outside of the safe shallows, and your lifepod capsizes and sinks. The surface air is unbreathable, so you end up tied to your sunken pod and carrying multiple air tanks in your inventory to swap out as you go, and actually using the air pumps as they filter the air. You have to worry about decompression sickness and your nitrogen levels as well, and have a personal crush depth of 200m, so need to either use vehicles or build expensive special suits to go deeper. When the Aurora explodes, the entire surface becomes irradiated, steadily pushing deeper down, and rendering all the food on the floater island inedible. And allot of the recipes in the game are harder (habitat builder requires lithium and magnetite) and require more fragments to unlock, so progress is much slower.

Is all configurable, which is nice, but I've been really enjoying the heightened difficulty.
Played this mod once and it ended up just being really boring after the first hour because all these things did -- especially decompression sickness, but really just as a central example -- made everything go really slow and tedious. It goes from interesting challenge to artificial slowdown almost instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

Played this mod once and it ended up just being really boring after the first hour because all these things did -- especially decompression sickness, but really just as a central example -- made everything go really slow and tedious. It goes from interesting challenge to artificial slowdown almost instantly.

That's unfortunately how it sounds from reading the above. I'll probably try it anyway though on my every-few-years replay of Subnautica. If they had done the sequels this way it would have been really cool. Playing through a new Subnautica storyline with the above mechanics might be a fresh new interpretation.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Still puttering aroubd with Once Human. It's janky, and borders on plagarism in a few areas (first thing that comes to mind is the telekinetic abilities being identical to Launch in Control, down to the way the objects hover and the weird floating particles), but... it intrigues me. I like wandering the world and picking through refuse, finding weird monsters to kill.

YerDa Zabam posted:

I didn't get into building much but I did see some uber deluxe de la fancy stylings on a few videos. One in particular reminded me of Deus Ex actually. The skins and whatnot are all earn-able in game, but I'm sure that once the game is out fully you'll be able to short cut with money if you want.
As ever nobody knows how the monetization will be done, but the main dev seemed to spend a lot of his time in the discord promising that it wasn't p2w, and would be cosmetic only.
He was also on a 90 minute youtube stream explaining it, and saying that if netease try to change it "they'd need to buy out my whole company and gut it first" The stream was presented by an obnoxious streamer type (shock horror) and was hard to watch so I won't link it.

That's good to hear. I like building, and I recognize that as far as building systems go, OH has an extremely standard system compared to something like Sons of the Forest or enshrouded, so I want to get as much out of it as I can if this thing has legs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

bird food bathtub posted:

That's unfortunately how it sounds from reading the above. I'll probably try it anyway though on my every-few-years replay of Subnautica. If they had done the sequels this way it would have been really cool. Playing through a new Subnautica storyline with the above mechanics might be a fresh new interpretation.
I definitely think the mechanics could be fun instead of obnoxious but you'd have to build and balance the game around it from the start. As tacked-on features there's not enough infrastructure in the game to support it.

...god I hope we get a Subnautica 2 (3, whatever) someday soon.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

I definitely think the mechanics could be fun instead of obnoxious but you'd have to build and balance the game around it from the start. As tacked-on features there's not enough infrastructure in the game to support it.

...god I hope we get a Subnautica 2 (3, whatever) someday soon.

Sadly I don't think they'll be able to capture the magic again. Dunno what it was about sub zero but it didn't feel as good.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pacific Drive but it's taking your sub into the abyss in Subnautica.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

Still puttering aroubd with Once Human. It's janky, and borders on plagarism in a few areas (first thing that comes to mind is the telekinetic abilities being identical to Launch in Control, down to the way the objects hover and the weird floating particles), but... it intrigues me. I like wandering the world and picking through refuse, finding weird monsters to kill.

That's good to hear. I like building, and I recognize that as far as building systems go, OH has an extremely standard system compared to something like Sons of the Forest or enshrouded, so I want to get as much out of it as I can if this thing has legs.

Interesting. I'm always expecting people to hate it and denounce the same things you mention, as I felt the same initially, but it hooked me and I really like it.
The Control thing is still dumb imo though. It hardly plays any real part in the game (that I can recall) but is shown early on giving a bad impression to little gain.
I'd say that if you get past, say the first boss, you'll have a pretty good idea of most of the systems and how it all interacts. The high end crafting and building/automation is later, but it is still built off of the same framework. I can't say much about the multi person bosses/raids as I usually never bother teaming up. They did look good from what I saw online.

I've not played much this time tbh, but mainly because I played way too much last time and want to wait until full release.
They've knocked off a fair few of the rough edges and seem to have responded well to feedback as well which is promising.

Looks like they hit the 150,000 target. So if anyone wants in you have to try the bot on their discord channel via their homepage or something.
It at least appears a bit better organised than last time.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does anyone have any good cooperative games to suggest? My friend just built his first PC after years of playing on a beat up old laptop. It goes without saying he's very excited to play games with me.

Lethal Company is technically a survival? We played that today and I think he enjoyed it more than I did. I wasn't enjoying it at all due to the horror aspects and it just wasn't my type of game. We ended up refunding and I felt guilty.

Tomorrow, we're planning on playing Sea of Thieves. Does anyone have any coop survival recommendations? I was thinking 7 Days to Die but honestly, I played that game to hell and back and I'm not sure if I've got another run in me.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Raft, Icarus (extremely pretty, I have a rig with a 2070 super), Grounded would be my top 3 recs for survival crafters. Palworld probably should go on there too, but I'd rate it below the rest.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Icarus was a ton of fun in co-op, and it's been more than a year since I last played it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
V Rising is fantastic in co-op.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Qubee posted:

Does anyone have any good cooperative games to suggest? My friend just built his first PC after years of playing on a beat up old laptop. It goes without saying he's very excited to play games with me.

Lethal Company is technically a survival? We played that today and I think he enjoyed it more than I did. I wasn't enjoying it at all due to the horror aspects and it just wasn't my type of game. We ended up refunding and I felt guilty.

Tomorrow, we're planning on playing Sea of Thieves. Does anyone have any coop survival recommendations? I was thinking 7 Days to Die but honestly, I played that game to hell and back and I'm not sure if I've got another run in me.

Enshrouded
Valheim
Grounded
Palworld

Do you also like HVAC and power grids in your survival game? Then you need Stationeers. Hearing an "uh-oh" from a buddy moments before an explosion, and then seeing his body fly over your head is really funny. I wasn't even mad that we had to rebuild that section of the base (and use more of our early-game material stock doing it) because it was hilarious and educational (I forget what we learned not to do, but we didn't do it again).

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 8, 2024

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They actually fixed all the busted poo poo that's been in multiplayer for the last two years last week too, so there's no better time to try stationeers

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finally got into Ostranauts after bouncing off many times.

In the middle of stripping down a large ship for parts when I hear a huge crash and the stars around me start spinning. Huh. weird. I continue disassembling the ship.

When I'd finished I hopped back into my pod to pilot back to the station which was instead of just a short trip away was now several thousand kilometers away because apparently I was rammed and sent spinning into the void of space for the entire time I was disassembling the ship. It was a long long limp back to port.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Qubee posted:

Green Hell has some pretty decent co-op these days if you want a more slow paced and "against the elements" type survival. I'm a big fan but it's not everyone's cup of tea.
They recently added a bunch of new basebuilding stuff, like pulley elevators for supplies and way more storage and decorative options.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I need to try Green Hell again. It would crash early on when a cut scene was supposed to trigger and I could never fix it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay this time I was disassembling a ship too close to Ganymede and I crashed both ships on to the moon. :v

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

Green Hell has some pretty decent co-op these days if you want a more slow paced and "against the elements" type survival. I'm a big fan but it's not everyone's cup of tea.
They recently added a bunch of new basebuilding stuff, like pulley elevators for supplies and way more storage and decorative options.

The sleds that were added for moving supplies around are literally game changers, they can transport 18 logs at once, compared to the maximum of 3 you could carry before they were added. And they can transport mud bricks as well, so you don't need to build right next to water if you want to think about doing extensive mud building. And large rocks too, so making campfire rings is no longer a exercise in frustration carting rocks back to your base one at a time.

And the pulley elevators are great too, even just as a storage platform, since they function like the sleds, but have three slots for stacks instead of two. And you can use them to get mud bricks up into certain areas that you never could before, like the runway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got a tiny horse in icarus, and its well on its way to becoming a big horse. Hopefully there aren't too many hostile things out there that can kill it.

Why I'm always wary about mounts in conan and ark, i worry while I'm doing something, they'll get killed and I'd be stranded.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Qubee posted:

Helldivers 2.

It's survival. :colbert:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

HelloSailorSign posted:

Helldivers 2.

Very, very briefly survival. Then you explode in a shower of gore democracy.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Helldivers 2.

the dang developers added politics so it sucks now, notably there were 0 politics at launch

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay this time I was disassembling a ship too close to Ganymede and I crashed both ships on to the moon. :v

I’m on the fence with this game. I want a crunchy game that has vibes of deltaV but more too it from an rpg point of view.

I’m a little frustrated because I’ve actually been working on a similar (but “cozy”) game where you’re getting stuff off big dead hulks to take back to the central station to fulfill specific orders.

Is this game good? Does it feel like the controls would work on a steam deck?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

oh neat, never heard of this

relased in Early Access 2020 :negative:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Ostronauts is from the maker of neo scavenger.

It released in way too early access, but it’s definitely under production. Regular hotfixs, and according to Splattercat’s month old video that have a major update every five months or so.

My first (demo) impressions were rough enough in 2020 that I’m not surprised by years in early access by a one-person studio. It seems the kind of ambitious where the dev has to code the game engine at the same speed they add content.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I got a tiny horse in icarus, and its well on its way to becoming a big horse. Hopefully there aren't too many hostile things out there that can kill it.

Why I'm always wary about mounts in conan and ark, i worry while I'm doing something, they'll get killed and I'd be stranded.

This has happened to three of my mounts in Icarus so far and it seems almost like an intentional design decision - hostile wildlife aggros on your mount from extremely far away, prioritizes attacking it over attacking you even while you are stabbing them in the head with a spear, and the mounts will neither run nor defend themselves, they just stand there and die.

I still get use out of them, but I treat them basically like a railroad - they're not something you take out exploring, they're something you use to move from one specific built-up destination to another, never leaving them unattended outside of a fortified safe area.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Qubee posted:

Raft.
Don’t Starve Together.

Not a survival game but super fun and you didn’t say if your friend likes stuff other than survival games - Overcooked. It’s cute and silly and sooo much fun yelling at each other and trying to coordinate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LeFishy posted:

I’m on the fence with this game. I want a crunchy game that has vibes of deltaV but more too it from an rpg point of view.

I’m a little frustrated because I’ve actually been working on a similar (but “cozy”) game where you’re getting stuff off big dead hulks to take back to the central station to fulfill specific orders.

Is this game good? Does it feel like the controls would work on a steam deck?

Im enjoying it but the controls are definitely a little esoteric. The controls might work but its got a severe case of indie jank. Im having fun but its definitely not going to be for everyone.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mister Bates posted:

This has happened to three of my mounts in Icarus so far and it seems almost like an intentional design decision - hostile wildlife aggros on your mount from extremely far away, prioritizes attacking it over attacking you even while you are stabbing them in the head with a spear, and the mounts will neither run nor defend themselves, they just stand there and die.

I still get use out of them, but I treat them basically like a railroad - they're not something you take out exploring, they're something you use to move from one specific built-up destination to another, never leaving them unattended outside of a fortified safe area.

Yea, I reached the start of the desert area and I'm going to built something there when i get some more time. Its nice to have steel tools finally.

There's a game I've seen few people playing online, Content Warning. Looks like Lethal Company but you go into some SCP world and film the monsters there.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

twistedmentat posted:

just make sure if you're doing a mining expedition to bring your mount all the way inside the cave, and check on them occasionally. Any passing aggressive wildlife will aggro on them if you leave them outside, it's a loving pain. I've lost 2 mounts that way.

Also make sure you make an enclosed stable for it at your base so you don't get passing aggressive wildlife attacking them while you're busy. As long as there's LoS the mount is safe. Best food for adult mounts is a food trough with corn when they're at home, and the seed feed for when you're traveling as it gives a big max stamina buff to the mount.

They also drink a hell of a lot more than you, but need way less water than food so when you're doing a trip just make sure to water them up before you leave so you can refill your canteen. Mounts do not care about the purity of the water though, so small blessings if you just need to water it on the road.

edit: this is what I get for not reading further, but generally speaking yeah any aggressive mob will prioritize your mount first. EVENTUALLY they will turn to focus on you, but tbh most of the time it's just a free hit on the predator with a melee weapon (and usually a one shot if it's a weakpoint). They're perfectly cromulent for trips around the map though, and the Horse and Buffalo can both be set to defensive if you want them to (try) to fight back.

The Moa's a wuss compared to its wild form though, all it can do is run. Fwiw I have seen mounts flee, but it seems terrain dependent on how successful they are and they will just turn around and run back to the spot it was stationed at after.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 10, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

what the gently caress no one told me there were Komodo Dragons in the New Frontiers DLC. All the sweet af alien creatures I keep finding aside that alone is worth the price of entry.

hella cool, gently caress yeah.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

YerDa Zabam posted:

Interesting. I'm always expecting people to hate it and denounce the same things you mention, as I felt the same initially, but it hooked me and I really like it.
The Control thing is still dumb imo though. It hardly plays any real part in the game (that I can recall) but is shown early on giving a bad impression to little gain.
I'd say that if you get past, say the first boss, you'll have a pretty good idea of most of the systems and how it all interacts. The high end crafting and building/automation is later, but it is still built off of the same framework. I can't say much about the multi person bosses/raids as I usually never bother teaming up. They did look good from what I saw online.

I've not played much this time tbh, but mainly because I played way too much last time and want to wait until full release.
They've knocked off a fair few of the rough edges and seem to have responded well to feedback as well which is promising.

Looks like they hit the 150,000 target. So if anyone wants in you have to try the bot on their discord channel via their homepage or something.
It at least appears a bit better organised than last time.

I have no idea what once human is, but I got a key and installed it and am confused but seems fun!

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I finally tried hydroneer, and decided- I hate it.

I’ll stick to watching someone else play it in the background, dropping and interacting being different locations just doesn’t work for me. I’m afraid if I end up enjoying it I’ll end up having to turn my entire body anytime I want to load the dishwasher or put down the mail.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
All this Icarus talk has me convinced to buy it. Lately I’ve just been playing all these early access games (nightingale, astrometica, planet crafter) and just want something more fleshed out.

Do I buy the combo pack with dlc or just base game? Not sure if it’s a case where the game isn’t great without dlc.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It seems to always be in a steam sale if you want to wait until summer. Or maybe wait on some of the DLC. That’s what I’m planning.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

drat, that'll teach me to try get cozy in Ostranauts.

New large derelict freighter was still intact enough that I could repressurise the ship so I could work without the bulky EVA suit.

First thing I did after the hull was reflooded with oxygen and n2 and repaired the heaters was to accidentally puncture the hull while I was working in my underwear.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Opioid posted:

All this Icarus talk has me convinced to buy it. Lately I’ve just been playing all these early access games (nightingale, astrometica, planet crafter) and just want something more fleshed out.

Do I buy the combo pack with dlc or just base game? Not sure if it’s a case where the game isn’t great without dlc.

Yeah, wait for a steam sale. There's content and some structure, but idk that "fleshed out" is how I'd describe it. To give you a current example I'd say Enshrouded is more fleshed out than Icarus is.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Icarus has a decently simple but entertaining survival loop (they did just literally add water filtering like two weeks ago so it's a little deeper) but it's a very good chill game for survival stuff. If the idea of hanging out in Space Colorado sometimes hunting animals or mining rocks while building a house appeals to you, it's pretty great for that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Opioid posted:

I will personally advocate for the New Frontiers DLC, though start with the base game and see if it clicks with you. Certainly wait for a sale on the dlc, I picked up both but frankly each expansion is probably 100+ of content minimum so you'll have enough to go off of with base game unless you really want some more mutant/alien critters up front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

drat, that'll teach me to try get cozy in Ostranauts.

New large derelict freighter was still intact enough that I could repressurise the ship so I could work without the bulky EVA suit.

First thing I did after the hull was reflooded with oxygen and n2 and repaired the heaters was to accidentally puncture the hull while I was working in my underwear.

I really want to like this game but I got to the tutorial and saw that I had like 9 million status effects and things that could be modified, almost all them having nothing to do with actually disassembling derelict ships, and I bounced out immediately. Maybe I need a guide or something.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 10, 2024