Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Planet Crafter 1.0 is out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Wild that it has multiplayer now

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Umbreon posted:

I really want to like this game but I got to the tutorial and saw that I had like 9 million status effects and things that could be modified, almost all them having nothing to do with actually disassembling their legships, and I bounced out immediately. Maybe I need a guide or something.

Haha, same feeling except I’ve managed to resist buying it. It looks super awesome, but also looks clunky and esoteric as hell wrt controls/interface/etc, and if I play I’m 99% certain I’ll bounce off after 20 minutes

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I wish Planet Crafter wasn't an idle game but had actual mechanics. I was so bored after I figured out how it worked.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

I wish Planet Crafter wasn't an idle game but had actual mechanics. I was so bored after I figured out how it worked.

There is a terraform mod for stationeers although my understanding is it's mainly for psychos who have already solved the game

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Antigravitas posted:

I did legit leave the game on over night a few times. Get home from work, increase what I could with the resources available to make number go up faster, then go to bed and let it run until I got home the next day. Not the most enjoyable game play element I'll say that. Some of the other stuff was neat like the exploration and all but it was all trivialized pretty quick by just lettings things run and improve the atmosphere to where I could do stuff longer and longer without interference. Death having zero penalty didn't help. Strip nekkid, stuff everything in a closet, then just let yourself starve to death over and over the whole time. Who cares? When I got back I was in a better position than when I left.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

Planet Crafter 1.0 is out

I love this game and intentionally stopped my play through once I got froggies to save the rest for the actual release. I’m totally looking forward to starting a new run.

fwiw I always chose to build more instead of letting the game idle

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Tiny Timbs posted:

I love this game and intentionally stopped my play through once I got froggies to save the rest for the actual release. I’m totally looking forward to starting a new run.

fwiw I always chose to build more instead of letting the game idle

This is how I play Planet Crafter too. Expand your planet to meet the needs of the expanding planet. Mwahaha

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Umbreon posted:

I really want to like this game but I got to the tutorial and saw that I had like 9 million status effects and things that could be modified, almost all them having nothing to do with actually disassembling derelict ships, and I bounced out immediately. Maybe I need a guide or something.

idiotsavant posted:

Haha, same feeling except I’ve managed to resist buying it. It looks super awesome, but also looks clunky and esoteric as hell wrt controls/interface/etc, and if I play I’m 99% certain I’ll bounce off after 20 minutes

It is as youve said, quite weird and clunky and has a lot of stuff that doesnt have direct shipbreaking application right now. You can safely ignore most of it or spend time in the character creation to get rid of the most detrimental ones like Feeble, Fragile, so you can work with larger things without tiring out. Generally all you need to do are worry for personal care is AM I SUFFOCATING/FREEZING/BOILING IN THE VACUUM OF SPACE. And once in awhile stuff your face, go to the toilet and wash up.

Sometimes your character might whine about not having interacted with other human beings for ages but lol.

This is all you really need to care about.

This shows what you ended up with after character creation and you cant really do anything about it at this point so dont worry about it.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 11, 2024

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Presented without comment, Duckside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e1J94vnO_0

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Synthbuttrange posted:

It is as youve said, quite weird and clunky and has a lot of stuff that doesnt have direct shipbreaking application right now. You can safely ignore most of it or spend time in the character creation to get rid of the most detrimental ones like Feeble, Fragile, so you can work with larger things without tiring out. Generally all you need to do are worry for personal care is AM I SUFFOCATING/FREEZING/BOILING IN THE VACUUM OF SPACE. And once in awhile stuff your face, go to the toilet and wash up.

Sometimes your character might whine about not having interacted with other human beings for ages but lol.
Is there a 1.0 release date set yet? It looks interesting but with as much jank as reviewers and people here are describing it feels like best to wait and give them every chance to smooth out the roughest spots.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Absolutely no idea. Maybe 2-4 years at this rate?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finding out hilariously that there's a few problems with the simulation of the atmosphere in the game and character AI.

Theres a lot of people on the main space station in the game. Too many in fact for the atmospheric systems to keep up with. I'm quite awhile into my game and the main station is full of suffocating / suffocated people because the co2 buildup is too high even if I hook my ship into the station to refresh the air. Oh well. RIP everyone there.

Also because some people have their space helmets on and wont take them off.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ostranauts feels like a Rimworld/Dwarf Fortress except this time the developer rolled a failure on the Overly Ambitious Developer dice roll.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Yeah, the Ostranauts guy realized very early on that what we wanted to do was beyond his skill, so instead of brute forcing it he hired help.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I mean given that he made Neo Scavenger none of this feels particularly unexpected tho? Like if you already vibe with NS (I don’t, lol) then you’re probably gonna vibe with Ostranauts, too

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

goddamn the swamp in the Prometheus map of Icarus does not gently caress around. There's actually a number of predators you have to respect that aren't just giant sacks of HP that charge you in a straight line.

Also unsurprising news to no one, Komodo Dragon bites suck a lot, even if they don't directly kill you.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Ostranauts feels like a Rimworld/Dwarf Fortress except this time the developer rolled a failure on the Overly Ambitious Developer dice roll.

It definitely has the Dwarf Fortress thing of there being enough going on under the hood that one thing being off can cause a whole cascade of issues. I need to go back and play it again, it's been a long time and it was pretty primitive last time I tried, I know they've added a lot.

I remember last time I played I had a similar "everyone on the station is dying" moment, except I caused it by prying something (some kind of computer? terminal? I don't remember exactly what it was) out to try and sell it, not realizing I was going to leave a big hole in the station itself

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I grabbed Ark Ascended, and my praise of being able to alter server settings to suit you, make things less tedius should of game with a cavet; its easy to make the game TOO easy. I spent forever trying to figure out a setting that meant I wasn't doing to die to the first raptor i saw and wouldn't take too long to get metal tools and stone buildings, but I ended up making the first tree I punched max out my xp and levels. A big problem is a lot of settings are just not labeled very well. But I think i figured it out, and I have to say, it looks beautiful. I heard that higher up there's more changes from Evolved so I'm curious to see.

Though Between talking here and Neebs putting out a Planet Crafter video, I think i'm gonna grab that too
https://youtu.be/8m77i_Q4nlI?si=LHdxPvN8xBWHGuEb
I like just pure against the elements survival but also with base building. The planet they show with further progression looked super cool.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I appreciate Planet Crafter for what it is, but I’d appreciate it more if the terraforming could fail catastrophically. It needs more spinning plates, but those don’t need to be the typical failure points of survival games.

And yes, it is more of an incremental game but I don’t mind the occasional mindless game as long as it has a little more going for it than solely click button, number go up.

I will say I think the lack of a survival loop diminishes the staying power of the game drastically, depending on the person. Despite the alternate start locations, I have skeptical expectations of replay value. The game did introduce new systems, so there may be enough progression to satisfy a main run. Had the early access, haven’t seen the late content.

Qualified recommendation- you may like this game if you have ever considered playing a survival game on the easier difficulties.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One thing I did notice in the video, both maps are exactly the same. Starting locations and everything. Makes me think it doesn't have huge replayability. But yea looks like a chill game to play podcasts to.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I grabbed Ark Ascended, and my praise of being able to alter server settings to suit you, make things less tedius should of game with a cavet; its easy to make the game TOO easy. I spent forever trying to figure out a setting that meant I wasn't doing to die to the first raptor i saw and wouldn't take too long to get metal tools and stone buildings, but I ended up making the first tree I punched max out my xp and levels. A big problem is a lot of settings are just not labeled very well. But I think i figured it out, and I have to say, it looks beautiful. I heard that higher up there's more changes from Evolved so I'm curious to see.

Though Between talking here and Neebs putting out a Planet Crafter video, I think i'm gonna grab that too
I like just pure against the elements survival but also with base building. The planet they show with further progression looked super cool.

I'm running a server right now with a friend that has:

5x XP
10x taming speed
3x gather rates
2x stack size

And some associated tweaks to breeding/imprinting that removes a lot of the bullshit. It's still *work*, but it's not MMO-style multi day grinding events. Animals can breed every ~4-6 hours, eggs hatch in about an hour, babies grow to adults anywhere from 45 minutes to 4 hours depending on species. You only have to do one task for an infant to max imprinting, and that task can be started 5 minutes after birth.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The map in Planet Crafter is authored, like in Subnautica.

Honestly the problem is just that there's a complete lack of mechanical complexity. (And movement feels floaty and weird)

Also, it uses units for pressure, temperature etc., but none of them make sense.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Planet Crafter has great reviews and I bought it because I loved Subnautica but it is really not making a great first impression.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Planet Crafter is a fine game if you go into it not expecting some hardcore science thing. It's just an idler with a fancy skin and occasional exploration.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I enjoyed it. It's fun to make the numbers go up and the sky go blue

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Planet crafter is also made by some guy and his wife and they never did a game before this. Just lower your expectations a bit imo and it's fine

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PC is not complex but goddamn does it feel good to watch the landscape change.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

The secret to Ark is that maxing out your level doesn't really mean poo poo. You are still a squishy meat sack that everything can shred to pieces. Power comes from building up a resource base and getting good tames.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tsilkani posted:

The secret to Ark is that maxing out your level doesn't really mean poo poo. You are still a squishy meat sack that everything can shred to pieces. Power comes from building up a resource base and getting good tames.

Oh yea, and seeking out those rare resources. I realized why none of the servers I played on used the Island map, it sucks. Maybe I'm just used to the massive open areas of Ragnarok and Valguareo.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Just received a Pax Dei alpha 2 key, has anyone here got one?
I usually solo pretty much everything, but might give grouping up a go if an Goons are in. I think the US and EU servers are separate at this time though.
Supposedly they are sending 100,000 keys.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

YerDa Zabam posted:

I usually solo pretty much everything, but might give grouping up a go if an Goons are in. I think the US and EU servers are separate at this time though.

Oh yeah sure enough I got one

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Looking at their website, PvP is mentioned, but no specifics at all. The description of the game economy makes it sound like they are going for Eve Online in a medieval setting for the player economy, but I'm old and hate PvP. If you've been following this, do you know if the PvP is optional, or is it more like Eve in that also?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The Locator posted:

Looking at their website, PvP is mentioned, but no specifics at all. The description of the game economy makes it sound like they are going for Eve Online in a medieval setting for the player economy, but I'm old and hate PvP. If you've been following this, do you know if the PvP is optional, or is it more like Eve in that also?

It is very early still, so nothing is set in stone afaik. I did just find this on the Discord. I'm also old and bloody hate PvP so it sounds fine to me so far. There is more info there, here is a snippet....

quote:

This article is not about PVP. Still, it feels like we have to say a word about it. PVP in Pax Dei will always be based on consent. Home Valleys, in particular, will be sacrosanct: your home can never be damaged by other players, and you can always roam around your village and its surroundings without fear of being ambushed. (The only exception is we want to implement the possibility for duels, even in villages.)

Instead, we want to dedicate specific areas to PvP. We call them Contested Provinces. Contested Provinces will contain unique resources that cannot be harvested elsewhere (to be clear: “unique” doesn’t mean “best” - other areas of the game also feature unique resources). Anybody entering a Contested Province gets automatically flagged for PVP, a flag that can only be removed by leaving the area (it will be a bit more subtle and complex, but you have a rough idea).

We have plenty more ideas for the Contested Provinces (and for PvP in general), and we’ll definitely want to come back to the whole topic of PVP with more details.

We are confident that this initial set-up will already provide opportunities for a lot of fun encounters for the more aggressive members of our community while also allowing them to meaningfully contribute to the social fabric of the game
https://discord.com/channels/1071081786962088018/1085245419900117082

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

YerDa Zabam posted:

It is very early still, so nothing is set in stone afaik. I did just find this on the Discord. I'm also old and bloody hate PvP so it sounds fine to me so far. There is more info there, here is a snippet....

https://discord.com/channels/1071081786962088018/1085245419900117082

Thanks. I don't have time to be playtesting a game right now, but this one looks like it might be fun and interesting and is now on my radar.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Smalland is out of early access and on sale. Is it worth a drat?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I had a good time with Smalland with a friend. It has a useful mechanic of building your base atop of a great tree and then moving the base when you find another great tree. There are quite a few in the central location, only when you go outside of it you'll have to build a separate sleeping spot for saving etc. The combat is janky and so are the various mounts, but the exploration is fun and there are plenty of interesting locations to find. The story is pretty lol and ends very abrubtly PEACE IS PAVED THE KINGDOM IS SAVED ROLL CREDITS NOW but I guess the key word here is jank, if you don't mind some jank in your survival crafting stuff then Smalland will likely be fun for what it is.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is there a good guide or tutorial on how to play Ostranauts?
Also that delta V rings of Saturn game too. Both seem kinda complex with not so good tutorials.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there a good guide or tutorial on how to play Ostranauts?
Also that delta V rings of Saturn game too. Both seem kinda complex with not so good tutorials.

For Delta-V, its been a year and change since I last played it, but it wasn't too hard to get into. I'll poke around tonight and see if I can find a decent guide video.

Ostranauts, meanwhile, actually just landed on my LIDAR as well and I found this half-decent and relatively recent tutorial series for it:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLhsp-kPC2hjpVPU7zqK0vnVNwT5Y6J9v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1jHgAhaUGA

I was thinking about poking my toe into the pool because I crave a good scavenger survival experience.

I love games where I can be a rat rooting around in trash for widgets to build things I need to survive. For some reason I just find games where you're salvaging, retrofitting, restoring, and repurposing junk more satisfying than survival games where you're digging out ore and cutting down trees for the materials you need (though I do love many of those games too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I love games where I can be a rat rooting around in trash for widgets to build things I need to survive. For some reason I just find games where you're salvaging, retrofitting, restoring, and repurposing junk more satisfying than survival games where you're digging out ore and cutting down trees for the materials you need (though I do love many of those games too).

I'm playing through FO:NV for the first time, and it's weird that there's not really a bunch of more Fallout-like survival games. Like I'm aware Fallout 76 exists but it was bad and also other than that I mean. Like I'd probably play a 7DTD that was Fallout-like instead of exclusively zombies.