Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Kit posted:

Wait really? poo poo, good to know. Were y'all using a player host or a lan host?

Rented a server from G-Portal which is their 'official' partner. Saw no option to adjust this in the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Rented a server from G-Portal which is their 'official' partner. Saw no option to adjust this in the settings.

hm, okay. Will keep that in mind, thank you!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You can adjust food spoilage when in a fridge so I guess as a bandaid you can set that to make food perma preserved but it means agriculture is basically a complete dead end of a skill line lol.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
How is Abiotic solo? Worth it?

Also how early access is it right now -- does it feel finished or is there like a "you've hit the wall of current content" kind of stopping point?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You could also just shut down the server when no one is using it I guess? Pretty dumb though.

That issue is definitely something that the devs should be made aware of.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

StarkRavingMad posted:

How is Abiotic solo? Worth it?

Also how early access is it right now -- does it feel finished or is there like a "you've hit the wall of current content" kind of stopping point?

I played a decent amount solo of the demo and it's pretty fine. You won't be able to specialize as hard but that's fine, at least of what I played. Not sure how it holds up later on.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It may just simply be the game but in general I’ve found G-Portals control panel to be way worse than other similar providers of small servers for survival games.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Having real-time progress in a game where I just want to chill with buds sucks big time. Can I just host a game that my friends hop on instead?

As for sunkenland, it sounds like a tentative maybe. The stuff that's more in the direction of Rust count against in my personal opinion.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Really enjoying Abiotic Factor so far, but for some reason even after unlocking Cooking 3 I can’t put things in my soup pots when they’re on the stove.

Let me make alien soup!

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 3, 2024

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Where do you get hacking in abiotic factor now? There used to be a starting class that had it but that's gone now

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Picked up Above Earth and Abiotic Factor

Above Earth: having the advantage of having watched a few videos as a makeshift tutorial, it's pretty easy to make it past day one. Really just a matter of prioritization and understanding the systems in play.
Abiotic Factor: I died sooner than I expected, but didn't notice any penalty for it. What is the death penalty? Didn't spot it through google or a quick glance through the menu.

BlueBottleGames
Mar 16, 2012

NEO Scavenger Dev

Parallelwoody posted:

I bought your Ostranauts game based on the post from earlier in the thread. Booted it up, flew out to scavenge a wreck, sort of did that, and then I got rammed by some random rear end in a top hat that put a giant hole in the side of my ship. Rip little spaceman. I have no clue what I was doing half the time. Fun though!

Thanks for giving it a shot! Sorry about that errant NPC ship. We're endlessly trying to fix cases where the NPC wrecks players. But like "nature, uh, finds a way."

We'll hopefully weed those out in the end, and limit them to intentional "we need drama/action now!" cues.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I actually struggle a bit with sense of scale in the game. Part of me thinks a player should not fit through a 1 tile wide space. It feels like it’s roughly 1 square is a foot wide or so.

That's fair! And yeah, it's about 3 tiles to a meter, so 1 tile = 1 foot is about right.

So far, we haven't been that picky about clearance through walking spaces for simplicity. We did have a long debate about it during the inventory milestone, since we allow you to drag potentially 3x3 or even 4x4 tile objects around. We ultimately decided it wouldn't be worth the extra work (for both devs and players) to enforce a walking width minimum.

Synthbuttrange posted:

More compact navigation console but gives you bad back status

Being able to slice off huge sections of multiple tiles of floor/hull to more rapidly build up your scrap ship would be nice but its probably a huge ask given how it works now

Yeah, I'd say we've similarly wanted to be able to do more macro edits to ships. It's doable, I'm sure! Just not enough to bump the other stuff on our list.

Synthbuttrange posted:

wishlists for the future. Component types are pretty barebones at the moment. It'd be nice to see more part subtypes, like the regular intake vs hydra intakes to make the ships more varied, having the great feeling of scoring a rare component, giving different layout options for different components in ships.

and

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Parts variation would be nice, even if it was just basic stuff like a Kang style 1x2 Intake where the canister inserts on the end forming a 1x3 rather than the current L shape, or “Kang Intake, but mirrored”. I realize the awkward shape of the Kang is somewhat intentional so these could be rarer parts similar to the Hydra (but not that rare).

“Mirrored”:flipped versions of several other parts would be nice too, like ship batteries.

You're definitely not alone in that request!

Our process is usually to get 1-2 working examples of a thing into the game before we move on. Then if time permits, we backfill with more variety later.

Some things, like walls or clothes, warrant earlier variation work. (It was boring to have every ship use the same wall/floor, and coveralls.)

But I would similarly love to window shop the pros and cons of different OEM and aftermarket parts for my ship!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh hey didn't know we had the Ostranauts devs around here, nice. I am planning to pick it up soon, I'm just in that mood.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

There should probably be a thread for Abiotic Factor since it's now being discussed in two threads and I feel like it's only gonna get more popular.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

BlueBottleGames posted:

Thanks for giving it a shot! Sorry about that errant NPC ship. We're endlessly trying to fix cases where the NPC wrecks players. But like "nature, uh, finds a way."

We'll hopefully weed those out in the end, and limit them to intentional "we need drama/action now!" cues.

If they started blaring collision alerts and yelling that their ship is out of control that'd be near perfect, as long as the occurence is tuned down a bit hahah. Hm, might be another gig type and giving another use to the tow brace, bringing back ships to within kleg range.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TeaJay posted:

There should probably be a thread for Abiotic Factor since it's now being discussed in two threads and I feel like it's only gonna get more popular.

Please go ahead and make one if you'd like to! OPs are not required to be masterpieces.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just post the Half life characters are aware videos as the op

or the cats with half life sfx vids

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Played through abiotic with a friend to about what feels halfway through the science sector (So near the end of the current content available afaik). Things are becoming increasingly terrible as we keep doing dumbshit things and pressing buttons we shouldn't and making things worse. Latest development is we accidently unleashed a zombie plague into the complex while trying to steal fancy furniture from another dimension. The good news, our base has the comfiest couch and a drat nice rug.

Friend is also being hunted and stalked by something only he can see.

It's really fun, though some things are jank, and there's some weird desync we noticed where if I got too far from my friend (the host, and too far is like, other side of the entire game world) enemies would not re/spawn near me. Some weapons feel badly balanced. The vibes are A+ tho.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jawnycat posted:

Played through abiotic with a friend to about what feels halfway through the science sector (So near the end of the current content available afaik). Things are becoming increasingly terrible as we keep doing dumbshit things and pressing buttons we shouldn't and making things worse. Latest development is we accidently unleashed a zombie plague into the complex while trying to steal fancy furniture from another dimension. The good news, our base has the comfiest couch and a drat nice rug.

Friend is also being hunted and stalked by something only he can see.

It's really fun, though some things are jank, and there's some weird desync we noticed where if I got too far from my friend (the host, and too far is like, other side of the entire game world) enemies would not re/spawn near me. Some weapons feel badly balanced. The vibes are A+ tho.

How is it as an experience with just the two of you?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I didn’t expect Flathill, but my god do I appreciate it.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Qubee posted:

How is it as an experience with just the two of you?

Good? It doesn't feel like a game that needs multiplayer to shine, honestly I think too many players would be a problem, given the semi-finite nature of resources. We're fiending for staplers and having to subsist off raiding Flathill for the pittance of them in the city hall. (Resources in portal worlds respawn, unlike the main complex). There's no enemies that explicitly feel like they need multiple players to juggle aggro, like in grounded. Honestly I'm probably going to enjoy a solo playthrough sometime in the future.

I'd say 1-3 players is ideal, and how it's balanced around. You can specialize or generalize in your skills, but given enough time you can be a master of everything. There are several perks in the skill tree that only effect multiplayer, but your still getting the passive bonuses so whatever.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
For contrast I'm currently playing Abiotic Factor solo and it's fine. I'm in the second sector and finally getting some cool science weapons (killing soldiers with an electrically heated spear and a railgun-shotgun). Game feels solidly big and exploring is a lot of fun. I think the best part about having a buddy would be the capacity to split up loot and actually bring a proper amount of stuff home.

Was really funny when I decided to fully move to manufacturing because I loaded up a pallet cart and wheeled it past all the aliens. Moved from one kitchen to another.

Weirdly the hotfix today reset the contents of my pallet cart to before I unloaded it at the new base, so I got a couple duplicate power cells and crafting stations. Very weird.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Now that I’ve figured out the soup thing (it tries to add the full water bottle to the pot rather than… using the water from it) I live almost entirely on Bad Soup. No soup I’ve tried is Good Soup.

No good. Only bad. This is the way of the scientist.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Bussamove posted:

Now that I’ve figured out the soup thing (it tries to add the full water bottle to the pot rather than… using the water from it) I live almost entirely on Bad Soup. No soup I’ve tried is Good Soup.

No good. Only bad. This is the way of the scientist.

try using different ingredients, even if you make a bad soup you can learn the recipe for a new soup. You may also have a recipe already in your compendium under the Soup Recipe section.

Abiotic is p drat good, the Coworker got me and my co-op buddy real good the first time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I watched Giant Bomb play Abiotic factor with like 6 of them in total yesterday and it looked really chaotic but fun with everybody off doing their own things then meeting back up. I didn't know that the game had proximity chat and the models flapping their mouths when you talk is just goddamn hilarious. I loved the demo but forced myself to stop early on, I'm hoping to eventually rope a friend into picking it up later on when we're not inundated with other crap to play atm.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Evil Kit posted:

try using different ingredients, even if you make a bad soup you can learn the recipe for a new soup. You may also have a recipe already in your compendium under the Soup Recipe section.

Abiotic is p drat good, the Coworker got me and my co-op buddy real good the first time.

Coworker spawned in that jumble of desks next to the starting office which is also where I happened to put my bed and let me tell ya, not fun.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Bussamove posted:

Coworker spawned in that jumble of desks next to the starting office which is also where I happened to put my bed and let me tell ya, not fun.

Hey, we all have larva to feed you know

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jawnycat posted:

Hey, we all have larva to feed you know

He’s up to his eyeball in work!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Has anyone made it through the Labs in Abiotic Factor? I've gotten a decent bit through it but am now stumped. I need to make it into the control center so I can turn off the turrets but I have zero idea how to do this. I found a whiteboard that says I need to use a portal in "lab A0" but i have no idea where that is and I feel like I've been everywhere.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The patch the week after the Laika update for Icarus dropped on Friday and holy poo poo, they finally did it.

The devs fixed the t3 and t4 light items to be actually usable now!!! It's actually legitimately amazing how much of a difference it makes. In first person the cone of light follows where you look! Holy poo poo!

They also added in some new content, there's an Arctic Moa now with a different talent tree than the traditional Moa, new dirt foundations and ramps, new t1 and t3 healing potions and some other small bits and bobs. Reading the patch notes was very interesting, the devs were pretty open about a relatively unique strategy I haven't heard of before for dealing with issues within the game. If anyone wants to give it a read, here's a link https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1149460/view/4201372129447834069?l=english

I'm genuinely kind of impressed how the devs keep making the game better every patch. Also that they're the same devs as Stationeers.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Abiotic Factor question: I'm fairly early in the second zone, so spoilers for that.
How are you supposed to handle the soldiers if you're playing solo? I'm playing with others and we mostly just mob them, but we end up quite banged up after every big fight. Feels like the game goes from a handful of pests and the occasional peccary or exor to suddenly throwing groups of 6 trained, armed soldiers at you at a time. The weaponry you have at this point is insufficient and firearms are very slow (even the 9mm pistol doesn't have the ammo to come out for every fight) and while we're doing okay with decent healing and group tactics, I can't imagine how you're supposed to get through this if you were on your own.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Abiotic Factor question: I'm fairly early in the second zone, so spoilers for that.
How are you supposed to handle the soldiers if you're playing solo? I'm playing with others and we mostly just mob them, but we end up quite banged up after every big fight. Feels like the game goes from a handful of pests and the occasional peccary or exor to suddenly throwing groups of 6 trained, armed soldiers at you at a time. The weaponry you have at this point is insufficient and firearms are very slow (even the 9mm pistol doesn't have the ammo to come out for every fight) and while we're doing okay with decent healing and group tactics, I can't imagine how you're supposed to get through this if you were on your own.

Thermal Mallet and hit and run tactics one at a time. It is rough though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Abiotic Factor

How are you solving water issues? Just keep collecting water coolers? They are enough for now for two people, but I'd imagine they'd run out fast if you have more people. Soup takes 1 litre of clean water, and even if you boil tainted water, it's only like 300ml per one cooking pot.

Also, soup: how long does it take to cook? I was watching it for like a whole day and then over the course of us visiting Flathill and it still was uncooked.

We just finished ^^ the aforementioned spot and will probably move our base to the previously locked upstairs office in manufacturing. Our weaponry is still pretty bare bones with rudimentary spears and crossbow. I'd like to know if there are many "sciency" weapons to come?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

TeaJay posted:

re: Abiotic Factor

How are you solving water issues? Just keep collecting water coolers? They are enough for now for two people, but I'd imagine they'd run out fast if you have more people. Soup takes 1 litre of clean water, and even if you boil tainted water, it's only like 300ml per one cooking pot.

Also, soup: how long does it take to cook? I was watching it for like a whole day and then over the course of us visiting Flathill and it still was uncooked.

We just finished ^^ the aforementioned spot and will probably move our base to the previously locked upstairs office in manufacturing. Our weaponry is still pretty bare bones with rudimentary spears and crossbow. I'd like to know if there are many "sciency" weapons to come?

I moved from the office kitchen to the manufacturing west kitchen and water does suck because I haven't found any tainted water pools there. What I've done is set up 4 portable stoves with 8 cook pots around the fountain in the office tram depot. I'm going to keep adding more so I can just empty and fill pots endlessly. Then I pack up the water coolers and haul them back.

Portal worlds respawn items, so you can grab more power cells from Flathill and make the scrapshot. Don't let the 12 damage fool you, it fires a LOT of projectiles. Point blank headshots can one shot something that takes 2-3 clips of the security pistol.

Also there is an armor set from manufacturing that has 40 total armor and a set bonus of deflecting a large percentage of incoming bullets. You move slow as gently caress but who cares! Alive and slow is better than fast and dead!

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
As for water, in manufacturing you can start finding big blue barrels that hold a HUGE amount of water, so you take them to a tainted source, fill them up, then take them back to base and boil them down over time. There are also more sources of drinkable water, and not-water, that can be found there.

As for weapons, once you get into the labs your arsenal starts getting esoteric. Manufacturing is still grounded, but more fancy, while office is just office supplies turned weapons.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The idea is not not take the soldiers head on if you can help it when you first arrive. One is fine, when they start showing up in squads you're better off bailing till you make the FORGE armor set, even two pieces helps immensely.

Still, hit and run tactics are your best bet, hell I should try setting up electric traps... bet the trip mine traps also work wondrously like they do for the security robots.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really not happy they lock one of the sector 3 progressions behind waiting around with your thumb up your butt to get 4 Leylak essences to open a door.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really not happy they lock one of the sector 3 progressions behind waiting around with your thumb up your butt to get 4 Leylak essences to open a door.

Yeaahhhhh. Doesn't help that the Leylak can just choose, to not spawn, for extended periods of time. That's where me and my friend left off and we've still not gotten the four we need.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah it's insane. we've been renovating the base for the past 90mins and it hasn't shown up a single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Abiotic:
EM shotgun to the face seems to kill soldiers fast...1-3 shots to kill. I think the idea is to avoid the "crossroad" area, the big open cave with the crane. There's nothing you needed there. It'll just connect to shortcuts as you explore.

There is unlimited sewer water right in the tunnel in front of the black Smith coming out of the grate for you to process.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 5, 2024