Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Yeah, I've tried MD before myself and I'm waiting for the new update before I give it another go myself. It's up my street but I found it a touch slow before. I think with coop and the wife helping it will be much more fun..

I think by nature it's meant to be slow, after all, you're living entire lifetimes of villagers.

However, I still took off inventory weight restrictions, the game may be slow-paced, but I'm not crazy!

But yeah I'm waiting for co-op before playing a lot. It'll likely go a lot smoother (even if you can't marry each other, yet anyways)

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

FWIW I kind of bounced off MD pretty hard but found Sengoku Dynasty to be more interesting and fleshed out while being pretty much an identical base. That said, I haven't tried MD since more or less launch and one other brief try. It might be comparable to Sengoku, but Sengoku does seem to have a good roadmap and decent content patches recently and upcoming.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TeaJay posted:

Obviously, for some more popular games *cough* Palworld *cough* Microsoft might be inclined to accept the new builds faster. Some have to wait more.
I do remember Palworld launched on gamepass with an even older version than Steam had on day one. It was essentially a pre-release version. Important early tech was gated behind a boss and arrows made 1 per craft instead of 3. I checked in on it like a week later and it still hadn't caught up to Steam's day one. I really thought Microsoft would've done a rush job prioritizing that after the sales but I guess it doesn't work that way.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'd be down to try Medieval dynasty. The last time I tried it I got to hunting deer which was abysmal. Maybe with a co-op partner you can sink the number of shots into a deer necessary to kill it before it achieves escape velocity.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Vib Rib posted:

I do remember Palworld launched on gamepass with an even older version than Steam had on day one. It was essentially a pre-release version. Important early tech was gated behind a boss and arrows made 1 per craft instead of 3. I checked in on it like a week later and it still hadn't caught up to Steam's day one. I really thought Microsoft would've done a rush job prioritizing that after the sales but I guess it doesn't work that way.

i suspect that microsoft's only interest was saying "we have the meme game on our platform, day one" and doesnt care beyond that

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This explained a lot. Why Palworld didn't click with me, but all my friends playing in on Steam had a ball. And yea, I had the same issue with MD on gamepass. Guess I'll pick it up on steam next time its on sale because it seems like its on sale a lot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

They did. They also loaned out some people to work on the Palworld team to get the game running better on the Xbox.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

How is Volcanoids? And if it's good, how is Volcanoids solo? It seems intriguing.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Store page for the sequel to Card Survival: Tropical Island is up, Card Survival: Fantasy Forest: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2868860/Card_Survival_Fantasy_Forest/

The second it becomes available to buy Imma slam it down like you don't believe, but still no ETA on how far out that's gonna be.

Black Griffon posted:

How is Volcanoids? And if it's good, how is Volcanoids solo? It seems intriguing.

A solid 5/10. Not bad, not great. The overmap is uninteresting and there's really nothing to explore, combat is serviceable if simple, the main gimmick of your base being a drilltrain is neat at least. The core loop doesn't feel the best: go to surface after explosion, search for and raid COG drills, go underground before explosion. Not much traditional punch tree/rock resource gathering, though it is there, it's much more efficient to just, raid drills for most things you need, and you tend to find lots of resources in the underground navigation thingy anyways. The devs have been puttering away at it solid for awhile though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Alright, sounds like I'm gonna let them putter away a bit more. I prefer a 7/10 for my mid-but-enjoyable games.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, I finally caved and started cheating in Sons of The Forest.
I've already beaten the story in beta and am one section from doing it again in 1.0, so there's not exactly much more to discover. I just want to build a nice lakeside chateau without having to spend literal hours carting logs around.
My old base had a nice Zipline system for delivering logs down from a cliff and in to storage but I don't want to bother anymore.

It's really nice to have unlimited logs and rocks to gently caress around with and when I screw something up, just chuck materials down the river. Make it the ocean's problem!

Not sure if I've found all the extra recipes but I now have spotlights and whirling blender traps that destroy everything but the 8 foot tall leaping butthole monster.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Inzombiac posted:

8 foot tall leaping butthole

I giggle when some things are taken out of context.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jawnycat posted:

Store page for the sequel to Card Survival: Tropical Island is up, Card Survival: Fantasy Forest: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2868860/Card_Survival_Fantasy_Forest/

The second it becomes available to buy Imma slam it down like you don't believe, but still no ETA on how far out that's gonna be.

A solid 5/10. Not bad, not great. The overmap is uninteresting and there's really nothing to explore, combat is serviceable if simple, the main gimmick of your base being a drilltrain is neat at least. The core loop doesn't feel the best: go to surface after explosion, search for and raid COG drills, go underground before explosion. Not much traditional punch tree/rock resource gathering, though it is there, it's much more efficient to just, raid drills for most things you need, and you tend to find lots of resources in the underground navigation thingy anyways. The devs have been puttering away at it solid for awhile though.

Agree with this. I think I got my moneys worth but I really liked the vibe/cool base, which carried a lot of the weaker parts of the game. Depends on the person whether I’d suggest wait or try, but waiting on it isn’t a bad plan. It also has a pretty straight forward end state and there’s not much “creativity” to the game which is ultimately what ended me playing it, I had no reason to want to try anything else once I beat the game once.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
If I recall correctly, I once said Volcanoids would make a great ascii roguelike. The problem with the map is that the resources respawn at the same locations and there’s no real reason or tension in exploration. There is tension in drill train combat but the world itself feels shallow, which is ironic. It feels smaller than it is.

In theory this would make resourcing repetitive, but there’s not much grind to it thanks to being a fairly quick process and cycle and bringing your base along reduces backtracking and common inventory complaints.

It also has a wonderful craft from storage/shared storage and various automation systems.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 13, 2024

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
[quote="Jawnycat" post="538310875"]

Directly to my veins!

I play CS:TI on my commute on tablet. It's a tad clunky but poo poo, I love it.

I wish Google Play tracked playtime stats. I've gotta have hundreds of hours (and I'm getting close to an escape attempt on Tourist).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Icarus just added Networks and Batteries (both for electricity and water) finally and the devs just announced the next major update: an overhaul to mounts! Including the ability to bring your mount back up from Icarus to orbit to deploy on other missions, a mount talent tree, and two new workshop exclusive mounts that have some unique resources they can acquire.

Most importantly: petting mounts will finally be implemented.

Icarus has honestly become my zen game, even after accidentally overwriting my open world instance with a t4 base. Gave me a good excuse to move to the Riverlands finally and start up something new over there. I may actually consider slapping down the money for some of the new area expansions.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Evil Kit posted:

Icarus just added Networks and Batteries (both for electricity and water) finally and the devs just announced the next major update: an overhaul to mounts! Including the ability to bring your mount back up from Icarus to orbit to deploy on other missions, a mount talent tree, and two new workshop exclusive mounts that have some unique resources they can acquire.

Most importantly: petting mounts will finally be implemented.

Icarus has honestly become my zen game, even after accidentally overwriting my open world instance with a t4 base. Gave me a good excuse to move to the Riverlands finally and start up something new over there. I may actually consider slapping down the money for some of the new area expansions.

How much of what is locked behind the DLC? I had a pretty good time in EA right before launch, and then for a while after launch, and then the DLC came out super fast and annoyed me enough to uninstall. Haven't been back since.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

bird food bathtub posted:

How much of what is locked behind the DLC? I had a pretty good time in EA right before launch, and then for a while after launch, and then the DLC came out super fast and annoyed me enough to uninstall. Haven't been back since.

The companion update itself is apparently going to be free, a dlc was mentioned in the notes but everything they talked about in detail was the free update. Any major gameplay mechanics have always been free, including adding Bees and the aforementioned batteries and networks.

I think the dlc will be cosmetics for mounts. Considering the amount of time I'm getting out of the base game and I'm still only scratching the surface of Olympus, I'm tempted to pick up the expansion locales, I konda get why they're charging for them.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Craftopia updated. New era, and they have half-finished my favorite region in any survival game, the poisonous bog. Looking forward to building a glass citadel using my future tech so I can really take in the rancid ambience.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

Craftopia updated. New era, and they have half-finished my favorite region in any survival game, the poisonous bog. Looking forward to building a glass citadel using my future tech so I can really take in the rancid ambience.

This can’t be correct because I heard the game was abandoned :confused:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How is Craftopia nowadays? It's been on my back list on "try someday" but there's constantly been something else fighting for my time. Obviously it looks a lot like Palworld, but is it similar mechanics-wise, or completely its own thing? Is it easy to get started and going?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The persistent issues with Gamepass games not being the same builds as the same game in other storefronts really turned me off the service. I first encountered it when I played Deep Rock Galactic and found out I could only matchmake with other Gamepass users.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

MarcusSA posted:

This can’t be correct because I heard the game was abandoned :confused:

The developer has separate teams working on this and Palworld, and Craftopia has continued to get new updates semi-regularly. As far as I can tell, it's just manufactured drama. Feel free to check the steam update history if you are curious.

TeaJay posted:

How is Craftopia nowadays? It's been on my back list on "try someday" but there's constantly been something else fighting for my time. Obviously it looks a lot like Palworld, but is it similar mechanics-wise, or completely its own thing? Is it easy to get started and going?

Craftopia has always felt broad but shallow to me. There are plenty complicated systems and plenty of cool things you could do or make, but they don't integrate together especially well. They have been putting a fair amount of work into fixing bugs as they add new stuff, but they would really benefit from more time on looking at how players engage with what's in the game.

I'd say, unless you see something particularly compelling, I'd wait until the latter half of 2024 before you jumped in. I'm very interested in seeing whether the Craftopia devs will pick up some ideas from the Palworld devs to make automation easier and more fun, because I remember bailing on using treadmills to make batteries pretty fast.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

avoraciopoctules posted:

I'm very interested in seeing whether the Craftopia devs will pick up some ideas from the Palworld devs to make automation easier and more fun, because I remember bailing on using treadmills to make batteries pretty fast.

Is this one of those, "walk a mile in their shoes" thing for the Palworld devs as some sort of a learning experience?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Give me the pitch for Icarus, I'm looking at it for 35bux and It seems neat, but there are a lot of negative reviews. Goons tend to be more honest about stuff that steam reviewers.

Also 7 Days is like 6bux right now, I cannot stress how good it is if you haven't played it, and Alpha 22 is probably very soon so its a good time to pick it up. After going back and playing some darkness falls again, I realized that I actually kinda like regular 7D skill system more. Hunting down skill books seems more fun than just sticking points in a skill as you gain levels.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Give me the pitch for Icarus, I'm looking at it for 35bux and It seems neat, but there are a lot of negative reviews. Goons tend to be more honest about stuff that steam reviewers.

I played Icarus during the free weekend. It being free still managed to make me feel like I'd robbed myself of a weekend well spent. The game is gorgeous, but it's so shallow. The wildlife behaves robotically and there isn't much variation. I would not recommend it for $35. You could buy it and give it a try within the two hour refund window, but the problem is, you might think there's a good game there as you've not really got enough time in those two hours to come to the realization that it's rather meh.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

im trying out enshrouded again after initially being turned off by it since i've been hearing positive things about it for a while and at the very least, the game is definitely running a helluva lot better than it did for me at launch

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

twistedmentat posted:

Icarus is good if you want a more casual game, at least if you're just playing open world on Olympus. You can do missions, but if you just want to build a pretty base and chill it's great for that. I didn't try the mode where you drop to a planet, complete objectives, and then leave. I think a lot of the negative reviews are from earlier when the timer was actual time so it'd fail if you quit the game and the timer expired while you were logged off and then you'd lose everything. They fixed that, at least. They're still adding game mechanics and whatnot. I enjoyed my time with it and will go back but there are a ton of good games that've come out that are keeping me busy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think I'll hold off on It then, wait for it to be like 25bux or something.

Maybe I'll buy ark ascended.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Just hit max level on my prospector in Icarus and I am relieved to find out you can still gain levels to get technology points, you just stop gaining talent points. Can't truly screw yourself out of being able to make anything.

twistedmentat posted:

For me it's a zen game like Minecraft or other open ended survival stuff. It has significantly more direction than minecraft in the form of missions and the workshop progression, along with the open world for a more persistent experience where you can build up and make use of the t4 stuff which requires a lot of resource investment. The missions are great for reliving the early game if you enjoy the early parts of survival crafters, and you can feel the progression when investing in talents smoothing out the early game.

The combat is pretty mid, but I'm kind of okay with that tbh. As mentioned the animal AI isn't stellar but it does the job fine. The mounts are fun and worth using. The building is the best part, Icarus is straight up the most intuitive building systems in SCs I've played once you get the hang of it.

Solo or in a group it's a fun game imo, and the devs have basically added a content patch every week. Usually something small, every 1-2 months it's a big update though.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

The key points of Icarus (and I’m not being a smartass) is pretty vistas and foul weather. The two combined to a pretty zen experience in the open world if you’re not involved in some stupid base defense mission where all the wildlife comes and attacks you in waves and you only have a shack and a spear in your favor.

I could talk you out of it, those reviews have some solid points. But I expect you’re more interested in talking yourself into it. if you ditch the missions it can be a nice place to chill in. Most survival games are a little more pressure/plot/goal oriented than Icarus is when you’re not doing missions.

One of the flaws and strengths is how blueprints are tied to experience gain. It’s bad for pacing but great for not giving a gently caress but solid for pursuing your own pet projects. While in Subnautica you have to go and explore in new and scary places for blueprints and materials, in Icarus you mostly don’t have that option. The various types of missions (extraction or open world) give various types of rewards from currency to exp to physical stuff, but in general if you want or need a new blueprint your gateway is ‘punch more trees’, ‘kill more things’, until you level up.

Shallower and prettier Vintage Story pacing, perhaps?

edit TL;DR - your own vanity projects are as effective if not more so at contributing to your progress than any plot or mission structure or exploration. And the storms make you appreciate putting the effort into a cozy vanity project more than night cycle zombies or blood moons.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 16, 2024

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I always thought it was weird when I played Icarus in the early days (did they change this?) that you were some sort of astronaut in a 1:1 earthlike environment, but you couldn't breathe the air so you had to burn oxygen rocks to breathe. Birds, fish, deer, those you can eat, though (through your helmet?)

Other news: Enshrouded has enchanted me so far.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Speedball posted:

I always thought it was weird when I played Icarus in the early days (did they change this?) that you were some sort of astronaut in a 1:1 earthlike environment, but you couldn't breathe the air so you had to burn oxygen rocks to breathe. Birds, fish, deer, those you can eat, though (through your helmet?)

My spacesuit isn't providing enough insulation, let me make a grass skirt to keep me warm instead.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Speedball posted:

The devs have done a decent job making the planet more subtly alien. That said the setting of the game is the planet has been terraformed to be like earth so the ease of acquiring the exotic material would go up.

The two area expansions also put you in much harsher, less terraformed environments that are less earth-like apparently.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The oxygen issue was my least favorite part of Icarus. Also, there's water, and you can drink it, and it only poisons you sometimes.

Once you unlock starting gear it's pretty smooth, though. I don't regret the time I put in it and/but it's been months since I've played it. Kinda want to get back in since there are mounts now that apparently you can abscond with and bring to the next mission

Oh, that was a big weak point, you drop in, build a base, do the things, and then it's all erased except for the credit and the stuff you've bought with that credit that you came in with. That's clearly different now that they've made open world a thing, maybe?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

socialsecurity posted:

My spacesuit isn't providing enough insulation, let me make a grass skirt to keep me warm instead.

Honestly, in addition to being a generally mediocre game, the asset flip stuff like that in the game is just very offputting to me. I'd rather play something that feels thematically consistent and purposeful.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You don't have a spacesuit. You have an airtight, barely rip-proof double thick Tyvek suit that keeps you supplied with oxygen and is made by the lowest bidder, because your character is the cheapest possible labor possible in this space libertarian hellscape. There's proper hardsuits in the workshop gear that protect you from the elements.

Open world has changed things because you no longer have to drop in, spend three hours teching up to T4, do the mission, and then repeat the whole thing over and over.

I'm about to fire this back up with a friend for some coop. Last time (pre latest-expansion) we dumped about 100 hours into it. We'll see how things have changed since August 2023.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LordSloth posted:

I could talk you out of it, those reviews have some solid points. But I expect you’re more interested in talking yourself into it. if you ditch the missions it can be a nice place to chill in. Most survival games are a little more pressure/plot/goal oriented than Icarus is when you’re not doing missions.

Its more do I want to spend 35bux on another survival crafting EA game. There has been a glut of them recently and they have potential, but I'm thinking I'll just hold off on it. They tend to have sales when bit patches are released so maybe down the road. Someone posted really nice shots of their base and base building is my main draw to these games. Why I think Conan Exiles is the best, because it has the best building system.

Probably put more time into Nightingale and Enshrouded rather than starting something else up.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Speaking of pretty, here's the locale I've made my new Open World base at.

I set up right on top of the waterfalls, I'm gonna make a bedroom right on the edge of the waterfall with the main workshop area being large and based on a mini island in the middle of the river up there. Put some actual effort into making it pretty and making a higher tier base.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Its more do I want to spend 35bux on another survival crafting EA game. There has been a glut of them recently and they have potential, but I'm thinking I'll just hold off on it.

Two points of note
Icarus isn’t technically early access. It’s kind of similar to No Man’s Sky in the ‘needed post-launch support’. It’s gotten a lot of that to the base game even ignoring the two expansions, but sometimes I am a little uncertain about the direction. I don’t really follow patch notes or roadmap for it so it’s also wrong to read more into that.

It’s currently on sale for 25% off on steam bringing the base game down to $26 US. While the complete DLC set is expensive, the core game gets the updates and is primarily missing the new locations and the relevant missions and more alien wildlife. If you’re looking for an earth like place to set up a cabin you’re not missing much.

If you haven’t tapped out the other games, I give it a distinct ‘on the fence’ personal recommendation at this price. AFAIK the lowest price was $23 US. This time the sale is smaller but covers all the DLC. My main worry is one day you or I will either regret it, or complete the set just before it gets a huge price cut or sale, I’m particularly prone to regretfully completing the set among XMas drinking or covid or sales.