Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

twistedmentat posted:

Thats kind of been what I've been doing. Killing a deer and leaving the corpse there is a good way to attract wolves. I need to go exploring again but every time I have i've gotten caught in hail or some other heavy weather event. I need to unlock the mounts and capture a baby horse.

All you need for taming is either the food trough or the animal bed, both just make it faster.

As for dealing with storms while traveling, just bring a wood floor, four walls and a wood roof and slap them down. If that's too much effort just find a big rock and mine into it, you can make an improv shelter that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

YerDa Zabam posted:

Hmm, good question. I don't think so. Well, you can make more on different servers maybe, but the progress will be separate, so I don't think you'd want to. I could be wrong though, so don't take it as gospel.

Ah, well then I'll just pick a different server to actually spend time in the character creator. Not a problem when I'd barely started the tutorial.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

Ah, well then I'll just pick a different server to actually spend time in the character creator. Not a problem when I'd barely started the tutorial.

I jumped in to check, and they have change the server setup, you can change between them easier now or something, so I've no idea how the characters are tied or not now tbh. Since you've made a character before they cut off the sign ups, you' should be fine either way.
The discord is about 100 times better (so far) so maybe ask if you're unsure.
Last time it was massively oversubscribed and just swamped with people begging for keys, hosed up key drops and general noise. Hopefully it is less of a clusterfuck and anyone who wants in can get in. Last time iirc it was around 20,000 and this time they are starting off at 150,000. Fingers crossed.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
made a very attractive lady with a great rear end, finished the tutorial, lolled when I realized they give you everything except pants

didn't laugh when I ran for ten minutes in one direction and still couldn't find a space to build my base

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1726130/Pathless_Woods/

Dropped into Early Access about 3 days ago. Survival crafting game with an ancient china / martial arts theme. Art style seems pretty cute, but I wonder if they are doing anything to encourage players to build in that style, rather than just build giant box forts that clash with the pre-placed buildings. Would be pretty neat if you had a bunch of versatile schematics you could place, but I did not see any deep-dive reviews when I did a quick google, so I am not sure what the specifics of building system are.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Goa Tse-tung posted:

made a very attractive lady with a great rear end, finished the tutorial, lolled when I realized they give you everything except pants

didn't laugh when I ran for ten minutes in one direction and still couldn't find a space to build my base

Haha, yeah I did the same first time. It seemed like it was loving miles away until there was space, but it's just that the map i gigantic and everyone grabs the places where they drop. Don't stress too much, it really doesn't matter, in fact as you progress you'll move it as you level up your gathering and whatnot. The fast travel is good and being what seems like a fair distance from the starting bit really makes no difference tbh.
You can either just go off in one direction on an adventure and then hit the button to see if it is free for building (and not next to a dungeon or the like) or, you can hit the base building button and the base appears in ghost form, then just run until changes colour and it lets you drop it.

The first wee one you build is just the basic as gently caress one, more of a temporary camp/bench type thing. A bit like the altar things in Enshrouded. The other full on base with turrets and gold toilets and whatnot is a bit more semi-permanent, that takes a little while to gradually unlock and build.
Actually, the full base moving thing is excellent compared to most games like this. You can (pretty much) just yeet your entire set up with a few clicks. I'd hoped Enshrouded would let you do something similar but it doesn't. Still like that game a lot too tho

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What game are you guys talking about here? ^^ Still Icarus? Once Human? Do mark it if it won't come up from the text or quotes since we're talking about a dozen different ones here

If it's Icarus, it's kinda been on my check-out list, but at ~30€ it still seems too expensive for a janky EA survival crafting experience.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Oof, NetEase. I'm still intrigued.

I'm downloading the game now - I guess that means I can play?

TeaJay posted:

What game are you guys talking about here? ^^ Still Icarus? Once Human? Do mark it if it won't come up from the text or quotes since we're talking about a dozen different ones here

If it's Icarus, it's kinda been on my check-out list, but at ~30€ it still seems too expensive for a janky EA survival crafting experience.

Yes, Once Human.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1726130/Pathless_Woods/

Dropped into Early Access about 3 days ago. Survival crafting game with an ancient china / martial arts theme. Art style seems pretty cute, but I wonder if they are doing anything to encourage players to build in that style, rather than just build giant box forts that clash with the pre-placed buildings. Would be pretty neat if you had a bunch of versatile schematics you could place, but I did not see any deep-dive reviews when I did a quick google, so I am not sure what the specifics of building system are.
This looks very cute! I'd also be interested if anyone has any impressions.

There aren't enough cute and cozy survival crafter type games. Wildmender was a great one recently. The survival aspect was actually pretty harsh at first, but it fit well with the games themes and building up a balanced garden ecology to live more comfortably was so incredibly satisfying. One of the few games where it felt you were working with nature to survive, rather than overcoming it, which was a much cozier vibe than usual.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
We need a warband!

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

I built a stone house in Icarus and fully moved in, turning my old wooden one into a farm. Though my big issue to leveling up to unlock new techs. There's only so many horses, deer and wolves to kill, and I don't think the good resources respawn?

This is why I wish all these kinds of games had server settings to change to take some of the tedium out of playing solo, so you can just crank the xp gain so you don't have to wander around, hunting xp to get to the fun stuff.

"I don't really enjoy the wildlife killing grind."

idiotsavant posted:

just shoot & skin every wolf you see until you max out. Takes 1 stealth headshot. boars/cougars/hyenas etc pretty good, large deer aren't terrible but you can skip the smaller stuff. Buffalo are great once you can 1-2 shot them and have a knife to skin them with (I usually just go straight to steel from stone since caves almost always have some coal, too). Just do mass animal murder with a longbow and bone arrows and it won't take too long to max.

"You should go grind kill more wildlife"

problem solved, lol

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Once Human is an....odd game. Definitely janky. Going to be interesting to see how it develops into a 1.0.

Will this be free to play?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dishwashing Simulator is not a survival crafter game lmao, it's a horror game with survival crafting as the impetus to get yourself scared shitless by the atmosphere.

I haven't even seen a single enemy yet or died and I'm literally holding my breath whenever I go into The Depths. Goddamn.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Twenty Four posted:

"I don't really enjoy the wildlife killing grind."

"You should go grind kill more wildlife"

problem solved, lol

It's basically your only option unless you want to go insane and take 100x longer grinding gathering & crafting or something; just is what it is. You'll note that I called out specific wildlife, though, generally predators and larger stuff that give you way more exp to kill/skin and that you can kill in 1-2 hits to minimize the grind. For example, scorpions also give you like 2-3k exp to kill & skin but take like 8-10 arrows to kill vs one for a hyena, maybe two for a cougar.

I'm not saying it's great design but it's basically what you're stuck with

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

idiotsavant posted:

It's basically your only option unless you want to go insane and take 100x longer grinding gathering & crafting or something; just is what it is. You'll note that I called out specific wildlife, though, generally predators and larger stuff that give you way more exp to kill/skin and that you can kill in 1-2 hits to minimize the grind. For example, scorpions also give you like 2-3k exp to kill & skin but take like 8-10 arrows to kill vs one for a hyena, maybe two for a cougar.

I'm not saying it's great design but it's basically what you're stuck with

once you invest enough in a melee weapon skill I honestly don't bother with ranged now except for a shotgun for really big stuff whose weakspot is out of easy melee reach.

I went axe zerker and can 2-3 shot nearly everything except the largest predators with even just a stone axe. I've only just started bothering with ranged because I want to actually get bestiary unlocks for prey animals and those are harder with melee since they run.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
As much as I prefer the open world experience in Icarus, have you considered temporarily dipping into the original missions? There’s one pretty early on that just asks you to farm plants, I’m guessing it would be relatively viable to tackle with a hard difficulty multiplier to XP gain and enemy spawn

The thing I hate the most about the original mission is the ones that require you to face waves of beasts, solo. The farming mission will give you a fresh map to build a log cabin on the lake for a cozy little vacation. It also doesn’t commit the sin of only telling you what you need to do/build after you’ve tracked half the world away from your home base.

I still agree with much that’s been said, but I’m fond of quite a few lighter farm sims like Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, etc so it’s a much more palatable type of grind with just enough angry wildlife to keep me awake without any good NPC storylines.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

if you really want to slam levels then yeah hunting animals is probably the fastest way, but just playing the game will get you there. Mining is also lucrative, and the missions are also well worth doing. The early missions are all pretty straightforward, or do open world and get to the point you can make a contact device and do some of the missions that way.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I mean melee is fine too, but killing & skinning a bunch of animals is still probably the easiest way to level up no matter how you do it. I like bow because you get either 1 or 2 movespeed nodes with it so you end up running around fast as heck in grass armor (think dagger gets a decent movespeed buff too?) but as long as you pick one weapon group and focus on that group it'll work fine. Killing & skinning a wolf is like 4-5k exp either way so indiscriminate slaughter while you chug through missions gets you skill points faster.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

Dishwashing Simulator is not a survival crafter game lmao, it's a horror game with survival crafting as the impetus to get yourself scared shitless by the atmosphere.

I haven't even seen a single enemy yet or died and I'm literally holding my breath whenever I go into The Depths. Goddamn.

You can't just say this and not explain.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Dishwashing Simulator

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257011603/movie480_vp9.webm

quote:

Experience the unexpected thrill of a house-hold chore in the latest next generation AAAAA simulation experience: Dishwashing Simulator. New ground has been broken in the simulation genre, with a never seen before level of detail in the act of Washing Dishes. Explore a simulated world where every dish matters and survival hinges on your ability to keep things clean. Navigate through a twisted cycle of chores, rewards, and mysteries, as you uncover secrets behind your menial tasks.

Immerse yourself in a unique emergent simulation experience, where detailed gameplay mechanics interact in unpredictable ways.
Engage in an immersive physical interaction system that breaks the barriers of conventional gameplay.
Uncover the secrets of "The Depths", a procedurally generated realm of resources and dream-like encounters.
Construct your base and production line, optimizing your dishwashing operations.
Navigate through a living survival environment, managing food, water, and agriculture.
Choose your pathway and upgrade your stats, tailoring the experience to your playstyle.
Unravel a cryptic narrative that keeps you questioning your purpose and reality.

In Dishwashing Simulator, washing dishes is not just a chore, it's your existence, a puzzle to solve, and a journey to freedom. Don't be fooled by the suds and bubbles, there's more beneath the surface than you'd expect.
$6.49 on launch discount. I haven't played it yet, but I watched a stream of about an hour of it today and it looks interesting enough for me to buy for the price.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Umbreon posted:

You can't just say this and not explain.

Let me just say this: I really enjoyed Dishwashing Simulator, it's fun to get some automation going and the little dungeon crawls are good. Except that right at the end of the game it turns into a sequence of absolute loving garbage first person jumping with slidey controls and you have to do it in between timed lasers and that part is such horrible trash that it kind of killed all the goodwill I had for the game and made me regret mentioning it in this thread.

So yeah, it's good aside from that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I just can’t get myself interested in the current weird “horror” game patische because it feels to me like it’s trying to be “what if monkey cheese random… but the cheese isn’t random? :stonk:

Dishwasher simulator is like the perfect example, feels like a game built for me to come away and say “I’ll never wash dishes again 10/10” because it’s a spooky meme without any real uniqueness that isn’t just a non sequitur.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

StarkRavingMad posted:

Let me just say this: I really enjoyed Dishwashing Simulator, it's fun to get some automation going and the little dungeon crawls are good. Except that right at the end of the game it turns into a sequence of absolute loving garbage first person jumping with slidey controls and you have to do it in between timed lasers and that part is such horrible trash that it kind of killed all the goodwill I had for the game and made me regret mentioning it in this thread.

So yeah, it's good aside from that.
Sounds like it's also a very short game if you're already done with it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vib Rib posted:

Sounds like it's also a very short game if you're already done with it.

I got about six hours in it (which isn’t bad for the six dollar price). There’s a bit more I could have done on the base building side of things. I may actually go back and see how much automation I can cram in just for the fun of it.

Or maybe I should just go play Satisfactory or Hydroneer

(edit) oh poo poo I just remembered Hydroneer just came out with some kind of expansion, too

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 6, 2024

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
7 Days to Die is a great fresh water procurement sim now

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have been enjoying Icarus quite a bit, being able to take on missions in the open world does a lot to give the game structure and the wandering around something of a point, which I like. I particularly enjoy that there's actually a mechanical benefit to you building things like watchtowers, in the form of a passive buff you get from being near one of them which lingers permanently, even after the mission is complete. It results in you kind of naturally filling in the map with outposts and landmarks over time. It also gives you a reason to continue engaging with the building mechanics after you're satisfied with your home base, which is another problem I've run into with survival games before.

However, I started in the Riverlands, and did not realize that all of the early operations start you in the Forest and assume you're down there, so if I want to start doing them in the open world I am going to have to either mount an expedition across almost the entire worldmap to build a new house and then gradually trek my way back up here, or start a completely new map, neither of which are ideal. I'm leaning towards the former just because that does sound kind of badass, I have accidentally given myself a major quest.

My main criticism of the game so far is the animals and how they're basically just zombies, they don't behave like wildlife at all. At first I thought it was really neat that I kept seeing wildlife making their way over to the river to drink, but the shine wore off really quickly when I realized that predators never hunt, the animals never seem to interact with each other at all, and all aggressive wildlife are guided missiles who cannot be shaken off or deterred. Bears will chase you to the ends of the earth and will not stop until they either lose sight of you or you or they are dead. In the early game, before I got good weapons, I eventually just stopped trying to fight or escape from bears, if a bear spotted me I started just letting it kill me, because I knew I wasn't going to escape and trying was just a waste of time.

It also means you really don't have to actively hunt at all past the early game unless you just feel like it. I have a 45-slot cupboard completely full of literal thousands of bones, food is a complete non-issue I haven't had to think about in many hours, and I have enough spoiled meat to keep the animal spawn blockers around my base operational for about 50-60 more hours, which is far longer than I have even been playing the game. Basically all of that is from wolves/horses/boars/etc. suiciding themselves onto my spearpoint. I've gotten pretty good at one-tapping charging wolves with it. It doesn't really make the game more challenging in an interesting way, it's just kind of annoying and boring, and ironically seems to make the game easier once you've figured out how to handle it, since you have infinite high-quality food literally throwing itself at you on a regular basis.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Once Human is pretty enjoyable, but I'm not a huge fan of how much the default building materials look like Default Modern European House, so I hope we can mix it up a bit without paying out the rear end for custom skins. I wanna make some brutalist Blade Runner rear end bullshit to fit in with the general weirdness of the world.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Mister Bates posted:

I have been enjoying Icarus quite a bit, being able to take on missions in the open world does a lot to give the game structure and the wandering around something of a point, which I like. I particularly enjoy that there's actually a mechanical benefit to you building things like watchtowers, in the form of a passive buff you get from being near one of them which lingers permanently, even after the mission is complete. It results in you kind of naturally filling in the map with outposts and landmarks over time. It also gives you a reason to continue engaging with the building mechanics after you're satisfied with your home base, which is another problem I've run into with survival games before.

However, I started in the Riverlands, and did not realize that all of the early operations start you in the Forest and assume you're down there, so if I want to start doing them in the open world I am going to have to either mount an expedition across almost the entire worldmap to build a new house and then gradually trek my way back up here, or start a completely new map, neither of which are ideal. I'm leaning towards the former just because that does sound kind of badass, I have accidentally given myself a major quest.

My main criticism of the game so far is the animals and how they're basically just zombies, they don't behave like wildlife at all. At first I thought it was really neat that I kept seeing wildlife making their way over to the river to drink, but the shine wore off really quickly when I realized that predators never hunt, the animals never seem to interact with each other at all, and all aggressive wildlife are guided missiles who cannot be shaken off or deterred. Bears will chase you to the ends of the earth and will not stop until they either lose sight of you or you or they are dead. In the early game, before I got good weapons, I eventually just stopped trying to fight or escape from bears, if a bear spotted me I started just letting it kill me, because I knew I wasn't going to escape and trying was just a waste of time.

It also means you really don't have to actively hunt at all past the early game unless you just feel like it. I have a 45-slot cupboard completely full of literal thousands of bones, food is a complete non-issue I haven't had to think about in many hours, and I have enough spoiled meat to keep the animal spawn blockers around my base operational for about 50-60 more hours, which is far longer than I have even been playing the game. Basically all of that is from wolves/horses/boars/etc. suiciding themselves onto my spearpoint. I've gotten pretty good at one-tapping charging wolves with it. It doesn't really make the game more challenging in an interesting way, it's just kind of annoying and boring, and ironically seems to make the game easier once you've figured out how to handle it, since you have infinite high-quality food literally throwing itself at you on a regular basis.

Those bones you're storing? They won't last long. Once you unlock the ability to make bonepowder with them you will turn it all into epoxy and then start going on animal killing sprees for even more bones.

I am the bone lord, give me your bones wolves.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

Once Human is pretty enjoyable, but I'm not a huge fan of how much the default building materials look like Default Modern European House, so I hope we can mix it up a bit without paying out the rear end for custom skins. I wanna make some brutalist Blade Runner rear end bullshit to fit in with the general weirdness of the world.

I didn't get into building much but I did see some uber deluxe de la fancy stylings on a few videos. One in particular reminded me of Deus Ex actually. The skins and whatnot are all earn-able in game, but I'm sure that once the game is out fully you'll be able to short cut with money if you want.
As ever nobody knows how the monetization will be done, but the main dev seemed to spend a lot of his time in the discord promising that it wasn't p2w, and would be cosmetic only.
He was also on a 90 minute youtube stream explaining it, and saying that if netease try to change it "they'd need to buy out my whole company and gut it first" The stream was presented by an obnoxious streamer type (shock horror) and was hard to watch so I won't link it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm glad it's so easy to move your base. My original location was bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Evil Kit posted:

Those bones you're storing? They won't last long. Once you unlock the ability to make bonepowder with them you will turn it all into epoxy and then start going on animal killing sprees for even more bones.

I am the bone lord, give me your bones wolves.

We'll just call you Moopsy from now on.

Good to know I only need to get 1 item to train. That and the mission thingy will be my next unlocks.

One of the horses bust through my wall at one point and scared the crap out of me.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

I got about six hours in it (which isn’t bad for the six dollar price). There’s a bit more I could have done on the base building side of things. I may actually go back and see how much automation I can cram in just for the fun of it.

Or maybe I should just go play Satisfactory or Hydroneer

(edit) oh poo poo I just remembered Hydroneer just came out with some kind of expansion, too

Thanks for posting about hydroneer, I looked it up and I already hate this game but I can't stop playing it

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Umbreon posted:

Thanks for posting about hydroneer, I looked it up and I already hate this game but I can't stop playing it

Lets Game it Out has a series of videos of breaking that game over his knee, its pretty entertaining.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Arrath posted:

Lets Game it Out has a series of videos of breaking that game over his knee, its pretty entertaining.
The second or third video he does a "hold please" while he plants All Of The Tomatoes. I managed to catch that livestream and yeah he just actually spent hours planting tomatoes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The inventory management in that game is seriously the worst, unless they've upgraded to abstracted inventories from actually holding stuff in left/right hands.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
They have not, and it still is. I appreciate the gimmick of everything being a physics object and wanting to not have a magic inventory but goddamn it just feels so clunky to play.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I bought the hydroneer dlc and I'm not sure if I missed a quest or something. I did the delivery box to all these people quests which gave me about 1k money, but all the dig sites cost 5k. Was there a free dig site they give you that I missed? I've just been driving around picking up dinosaur bones and rechecking the sites

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Danith posted:

Was there a free dig site they give you that I missed? I've just been driving around picking up dinosaur bones and rechecking the sites

Not speaking from personal experience, but I think Dawn’s Rest near Elsie is free - see 21:45 (he actually tries to use the site instead of explore) and 3:30-5:30 (he arrives at the island and the site and then runs off on delivery quests)

https://youtu.be/ECc1Ld-3n7E?si=_d3O2KZZKlgjuy-k

Not spea

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

LordSloth posted:

Not speaking from personal experience, but I think Dawn’s Rest near Elsie is free - see 21:45 (he actually tries to use the site instead of explore) and 3:30-5:30 (he arrives at the island and the site and then runs off on delivery quests)

https://youtu.be/ECc1Ld-3n7E?si=_d3O2KZZKlgjuy-k

Not spea

That was it, thanks! Can't believe I missed it at least 2 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Been playing the Subnautica Deathrun mod which is an interesting replay.

Random spawn location outside of the safe shallows, and your lifepod capsizes and sinks. The surface air is unbreathable, so you end up tied to your sunken pod and carrying multiple air tanks in your inventory to swap out as you go, and actually using the air pumps as they filter the air. You have to worry about decompression sickness and your nitrogen levels as well, and have a personal crush depth of 200m, so need to either use vehicles or build expensive special suits to go deeper. When the Aurora explodes, the entire surface becomes irradiated, steadily pushing deeper down, and rendering all the food on the floater island inedible. And allot of the recipes in the game are harder (habitat builder requires lithium and magnetite) and require more fragments to unlock, so progress is much slower.

Is all configurable, which is nice, but I've been really enjoying the heightened difficulty.