Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Unreal World had a pretty major update right before Christmas just fyi for anyone who hasn't played it recently.

It just got greenlit on Steam too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know if anyone's taken a look at this, but Orcish Inn looks like it has potential. It's not so much "survival" as base-building from what I've seen, but still might be of interest to folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKxMEHotaI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Ot6diwBXc

Looks cute and fun but "My overall goal is to get valuable feedback until Orcish Inn gets released some day in 2015." doesn't fill me with confidence..

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't see any harm in having one area of a game you can just kind of chill in on easy mode tbh. Some people play games to relax. There's the entire rest of the game available if you don't like rabbits and fishing. The entire world shouldn't be out to punish you if you camp in one place a few nights too many, that's just weird.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 10, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Easy mode is an important distinction. Of course people should be able to enjoy the game as they wish, but there should also be in-game fixes to exploits and player behaviours. Especially when an easy mode exists, or when the fixes are toggleable, people who complain about the fixes are ridiculous. Looking at you, players of Darkest Dungeon re: Corpses.

It's a single player game. How angry are you really that other people might choose to play it in a way that isn't challenging enough for you? Playing a game they bought in a way that brings enjoyment is not a behavior that needs to be 'fixed' to force them to play the way you would.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Can someone link that pacifist guide to The Forest again?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Never heard of Balrum but it's got just the right level of nostalgia in the graphics and all the right buzzwords to make me want to play it. Can anyone tell me more about it? Like is the focus more on the crafting or the RPG elements and how balanced and engaging is it all?

I mean it's promising 'Dozens of Side Quests and an Epic Main Quest' but I can't suss out a single detail about the actual plot from the description.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Very helpful, thanks. I'll probably get this at some point when I don't have anything important going on a good new game will immediately derail.

Also, it's more of a city management thing, but if things like Rimworld or DF count is there anyone else looking forward to Frostpunk? Having a similar discussion on another forum and I just got linked to this one. It's by the This War of Mine devs, set for a 2018 release and looks pretty interesting so far.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
How is Planet Nomads?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Q8ee posted:

Same with URW, if there was an option to save the game, I'd binge on it for weeks. But usually, I'll binge on it until I die and then ragequit. Mainly happens on characters that I've devoted a lot of time into. If it's a relatively new character, I'll just reroll and continue.

dylguy90 posted:

Yeah URW and even neoscav can be really frustrating to play with permadeath, just copy your character folder

Yeah this, have people forgotten the forbidden art of save scumming? I don't usually bother to with URW now that waking up with a lynx in your cabin back in the days when lynxes were death incarnate and other random bullshit doesn't really happen any more, but making a copy after every session takes like, a second.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The early game in URW is so much better than any other part of it I'm usually doing stupid things half hoping to get killed so I can start over again anyway, once I get enough stuff stockpiled that the challenge is gone.

And I mean it's not like the old days when you could bleed out in three moves because a cornered beaver jumped up and bit your dick off.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Kenzie posted:

Also, the more aggressive and violent you are toward the cannibals, the more they will retaliate. Eventually it will get so bad that they will never leave you alone and they will constantly attack you with huge raiding parties.

This is actually why I can't get into The Forest. Yes I know it's a dumb thing for MY IMMERSION to get hung up on but I don't like the endless supply of cannibals who endlessly attack, at some point you'd think they'd just leave you the gently caress alone or else run out of people. I'd love a survival game with some real outside dangers involved and need for caution when exploring/expanding, but this one just overdoes it to such a degree. It becomes a very crowded forest.

Also, anyone played Salt? It's got all the crafting and food requirements, although once you get off your island it seems to be more about exploration.

Something about bright almost cartoonish art style appeals to me, it's very pretty and relaxing and so far I've learned I'm bad at controlling boats. When I did finally make it to the island I was aiming for, I was killed by the goofiest looking pirates.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 20, 2018

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
ICY: Frostbite is really freakin good you guys. I feel like I should've been hearing way more about this game.

Just beat it and I'll need to play it again soon to try siding with a different faction and making a few other changes to see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Flesh Forge posted:

don't link it or anything

It's called ICY: Frostbite Edition and has previously been mentioned in this thread, the place where I first heard about it. It can be found the way I found it by typing the three letters ICY on Steam hth