Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Drunk in Space posted:

It's underwhelming and I don't recommend it.

I was super excited for this game when it first showed up, probably have a hundred hours in it from the unmanned campaign when I played it over a year ago.

The manned stuff they added was really poorly planned and just feels like feature creep. If they can really work it into the campaign that will be great, but they done hosed up having two incomplete games being mashed together. You really need something playable and :siren:FUN:siren: to really keep an EA going, and this failed on that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Drunk in Space posted:

I had no idea the manned stuff wasn't in it from the get-go. Makes a lot of sense, though, given how buggy, feature-incomplete and uneven the manned experienced is compared to the unmanned one. Admittedly the unmanned game appeals to me a lot less, which is why I haven't done much with it, but just from tinkering around in the rover scenarios for a bit you can tell it's designed better and works much more smoothly.

It still lacks a ton of substance, though, and I'm amazed you could get 100 hours out of it. I mean, what do you do in the campaign exactly? Send a probe somewhere on Mars, take a picture, take a sample of the air. Ok here's some money. Now build a better probe and go to Mars and take two pictures and two samples. Ok now you can build a rover. Drive over to this rock and take a sample. Ok more money. Now go somewhere else and do the same thing . . . I can get a few hours tops out of that. Perhaps if science results were an actual thing and you had to use your own judgement on where to go, which rocks to study based on research you'd conducted and all the while having to be economical with the rover/probe's resources, then the experience might have a lot more going for it instead of the random, meaningless goals the game gives you now. Apparently :science: is going to be a thing for final release (at the end of November, somehow), so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

A lot of it was just grinding cash to unlock everything on a couple different playthroughs.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The forest is going into full release in April as well.

2 friends and I have put like 20-30 hours into this game over the last 2 weeks.

Still lacks a lot of polish, but it is super enjoyable going from barely being able to feed and defend yourself to fighting over who keeps making the lovely basic arrows that keep clogging up our inventory while throwing a bunch of bodies on a fire to get their bones.