Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Since I'm too cheap to buy a Minecraft license and don't feel like installing Java, and maybe I have a thing for half-realized open source projects, I've dabbled a little bit lately in the Wasteland 'subgame' for Minetest: https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7243.

It's nothing too special, just a big desert with ruins containing sparse supplies that you're supposed to try to make a living from. It's a lonely kind of experience that's different enough from Minecraft that I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing, so it's novel. I would not consider it a complete survival experience, but it scratches an itch and doesn't take up too much time.

That purple goo thing in Minecraft sounds pretty good. What I would want from a survival game these days is a 'mounting threat' kind of thing, like distant 'anthills' (undead castles slowly growing over with zeds, bandit camps growing fat on the land, etc.) looming over the horizon that you have to quash or hide from, or stealthily steal from. Something with a little time tension that's not related to a hunger clock. You'd go back and another wing has grown on the castle, or the camp has expanded, or the dungeon is now deeper. Plunge a stake in its heart, sabotage a reactor, or steal some MacGuffin to slow it down or stop it.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sounds a bit like Zafehouse.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Colonial Charter’s description seemed like it added breadth, but not depth. More like stuff to farm rather than any need to farm it. The populace remains as easily satisfied as in the base game, I’m guessing.

There’s some recent game with a viking theme that seemed like more of a survival sim with more unique individual actors to please, don’t have the name ready on this phone at the moment but I think it was reviewed on Three Moves Ahead in the last six months or so.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Can you walk around in first person in Kenshi? Some of the screenshots look kinda that way.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's not so much I'd want to play in first person, it's just that, if I'm gonna build a town, it'd be nice to walk around in it like the mayor or whatever.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Something about winter coming has me wanting to play 7 Days to Die's mostly dry, hot, and ugly-looking world. This time I wanted to just scavenge, explore, shelter, and move on, instead of stay put and craft and build. Are there any mods centered around this playstyle? I'm not in this for the long haul, maybe I'll play a couple weeks or so.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nyaa posted:

Scavenger playstyle are doable in base game, and there shouldn’t be any mod ported to the recent stable ver yet.

You just need to find a random nice place to fort down for bloodmoon, which aren’t that hard since 99% of all buildings are custom dungeons now.

Edit : or bicycle the whole night.

Thanks for the response. Heck, I'll give it a try at least.

edit: When you say "99% of buildings are custom dungeons," is that Navezgane only, or does the map generator insert them as well?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nyaa posted:

Map gen. Navezgen only have like 5 more.

The dev spent significant amount of time designing most building to be fortified so there is only one custom entrance that go into these dungeon that guide you throughout the building to reach a treasure chest at the end. You can bash your way in to cut down the travel, but that would wake up zombies.

Like some entrance start from a hole on the roof after jumping some platform and circles each floor down to the basement and vice versa.

Some special large building have nice surprises and boss fight in it. Check out the big corn farm building.

That's... really neat. I haven't played 7 Days in a couple years so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FuzzySlippers posted:

I know I've asked this before but I'm curious: are there any good multiplayer survival games that are kinda cute (no gore and has some kind of style) but still have combat (so not Stardew Valley) besides Don't Starve Together? I'm aware of Minecraft, Ark, and Astroneer. Some of the people in our gaming group pretty much only play DST since nothing else has worked for them.

What little I played of Creativerse was more combatty than Minecraft. It's a cute Minecraft clone with what I think is some kind of corruption mechanic the deeper you dig. I don't think there was hunger, but there might have been a temperature mechanic. It's free to play.

Castleminer Z was a cheap, ugly, and very weird combat-driven Minecraft clone with a night cycle featuring Zombies, a hell-like level if you dig moderately deep, and harder enemies the further you get from the central, indestructible tower. No hunger, so you have to supply the drive to dig, craft, and extend yourself outward from the central area.