Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Brackhar posted:

Release or Early Access release?

It's just early access, not the finished game. According to Steam the last update was still labeled as alpha, so I wouldn't be holding my breath for a 1.0 release any time soon.

Still, looks extremely interesting. Gonna be keeping an eye on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

LeJackal posted:

I thought I would chime in on The Long Dark here: It needs more. Don't misunderstand, I love the simplicity of its graphics, the starkness of the terrain, the cold reality without zombies or kraken. The core concept of a survival game that is about survival is great, but with such a narrow focus there needs to be depth. As it stands, things are so binary between surviving or dying. There needs to be more options and nuance. Why can't my pilot figure out how to throw rocks or sharpen a stick? Why can't I wrap a glass shard in bandages and use it to skin animals? Why do sweaters fall apart after being worn for two days?! Why are the only ranged option with wolves is to throw a flare or shoot them? (Why does wolf combat make so little sense?)

Etc.

Also, fishing is a pretty easy way to survive. Harvest wood, fish, melt water, cook fish, repeat.

We really do have a shortage of survival games without monsters and this makes me sad because I want The Long Dark to be good :(

Oh well, maybe another 6-12 months.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Noticed Stranded Deep on Steam. It's some sort of game where you're Tom Hanks and talk to Wilson and it looks pretty cool. Depending on how building things works, this game just might end up to be what I alwas wanted from Minecraft. In MC the big ocean maps with little islands were always my favorite.

However, it's like some 0.01 alpha so... eh, maybe in 3 years?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

O:ND looks cool but

quote:

Osiris: New Dawn is a really big, ambitious game and we are a very small team.

quote:

“The release date for any game is always a moving target. With Osiris we not only want to build a ton of content and features into the game and planets, we also want to build out a fully realized Solar System that can be visited with each planet providing a unique experience for version 1.0. We estimate it will take about a year to get there.”

:lol:

See you in 8 years or something (right about the time they release the second planet and alpha 0.6)

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I played a little bit of TLD and it's a really cool game. I don't understand what the long term goal is though, other than looting everything and trying to stay alive? I don't build anything, right? Just try to loot dog food and not get eaten by wolves. I do like the game in either case though, very atmospheric and mean, just the way I like it.

I'm currently sitting in some dark dank-rear end cabin, there are wolves outside and my lantern ran outta juice. It's dark and everything is bad. I got some knife but I assume doing a bum deathmatch with a wolf is a bad idea nevertheless.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Q8ee posted:

It's the weirdest thing, games like Subnautica and The Long Dark scare the everloving shite out of me, but if it's a scary coop game, I'm way more comfortable because I'm playing with a friend. I don't know why that's the case.

Generally that's because there is less than zero fuckall immersion in multiplayer games.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Well, The Forest finally got 1.0 release. I recall playing it couple years back but it was a bit boring in the long run. Did it become a good game?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Travic posted:

I've been really busy and haven't gotten to play The Forest in 1.0. Did they remove the infinite/respawning resources?

I've been playing a bit and things are respawning. Somewhere in the options I saw a checkbox for respawning trees so you can disable at least that if that's your thing.

Also, I'm playing on hard and cannibals are stupidly strong. Yesterday I hit one with a spear like 15-20 times and it just kept coming and killed me with couple hits. Maybe spear is just poo poo, dunno.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Travic posted:

Oh I like the respawning. I was worried they'd taken it out. Especially for things like cloth. There is not enough normally to make all the armor and rope I use.

Yeah, those are definitely no problem. I've rebuilt my goose lake hunting hideout and every time I go out the cannibal effigies to the north have respawned and I can grab cloth off them. Little further to the northeast is a empty village where two ropes spawn.

Goose lake is still pretty nice for a first safe hideout. I don't think I've ever seen cannibals attack it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Can you use them to climb out of the small island too or do you have to swim to the shore?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Conan Exiles is the most enjoyable "survival" game I've played in a long time. Quotation marks because the survival aspect is relatively light, but the game makes up for that with combat and interesting exploration. The game has a problem with being bug-ridden though, and not just speaking about minor glitches. I kind of find it funny how Funcom does this decade after decade. They're simply too dumb to not nuke their game releases with bugs.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I'm playing on PC too, in single player cause I mostly just wanna build cool stuff without interference.

My main gripe is with thralls and lost corpses. Lost corpses aren't a completely huge deal since I can go into admin mode and respawn the stuff I had but still, I've died three or four times and TWICE the game has lost my corpse. Thanks, game, but I'm not running Kinscourge and such to recraft the stuff I lost to a bug.

Another thing is thralls then... It'd be a shorter list to say what about them is working than what's not. Probably the "funniest" broken part about thralls is that I simply can't have one follow me without some bug murdering the thrall. Here's last three times I had a thrall accompany me.

1. Looong looong run around the map with Freya, I got back to my base and decided Freya is cool for surviving all that so she can be a bodyguard in my quarters. I tell her to stop following and place her in my room, grats on your promotion Freya! She proptly falls through the floor into whatever void awaits under the world. She was never seen again.

2. Took a thrall with me to raid Asa...garth? The northerner town. Thrall is nice to have along for steel raids as poo poo's heavy, right. Okay, we pillage the place for a while and head back with inventories full with prime loots. We walk into my fortress, I head to second floor where my room is. I enter my room and hear a mysterious "GNAAARGH". Say what? I turn around and see nobody. Okay... I head downstairs. I see my thrall at the fortress entrance hall floor, literally cleaved in half, not one enemy for miles. Thanks for carrying my poo poo I guess, at least I got to loot you :smith:

3. Decided to take a thrall along for a looong trip, went from north to sinkhole, to the jungle and killed witch queen, back to desert and off to Sepermeru, and then back to north. Finally home! Yay! Thrall lived! I step into elevator and head up. I hear a mysterious "GNAAAAAARGH!". Fffffffff...

Say hi to Freya if you see her.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 8, 2018

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

metasynthetic posted:

RE: falling through the floor, I found out yesterday that when I demolished a foundation under a thrall, he fell through the next layer down, but was still alive and standing on the foundation 1 layer below that. Maybe check that if you have deep foundations.

RE: falling through the floor. Was doing some renovations and had to break down some old foundations.

Well hello there... hope you had a lovely two weeks.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Finishing Conan Exiles storyline solo isn't even remotely hard, however the game apparently deletes your character when you do so not sure why anyone would.

I was playing ARK a little bit some times ago and CE seems a bit more SP oriented than that at least from building perspective. I've been building stuff in CE without touching the sliders, but in ARK I recall getting bored of the huge resource requirements pretty fast.

Overall I like CE for what it is, a exploration/building simulator set in Hyborian age. Funcom made the mistake of adding multiplayer into the game, and even worse, luring in the pvp crowd. That's what for the most parts explains all the incessant bitching, whining and bad reviews the game gets.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Empyrion seems kinda interesting but it's been EA three. loving. years.

I'll consider giving them money when they actually deliver a 1.0, I'm tired of EA limbo games.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Is Empyrion single player and co-op technically similar to some other survival games where you create an offline/local server and play on that? If not, are there going to be character wipes when they finally release in 202x?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Every time they release a new "big" version the old saves are incompatible.

Well, that explains how they're able to push big looking patches on the Steam news stream so often. Constantly polishing and making an alpha release backwards compatible takes ages. Like, even longer than it takes now, that is. But anyway, thanks, definitely waiting for full release then. I'm not big on being a proper alpha tester.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Coolguye posted:

i could never get into NEO because finding a loving pair of shoes was so hard that i ended up getting my poo poo kicked in by just humping it around the wilderness

This is me too. I feel NEO is very my type of game if I bothered to get past the vertical learning curve by just playing it but :effort:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

I'm gonna drop Kenshi here in case it's flying under someone's radar. It's quite likely the most survival of the survival games I've played and it has finally been properly released after a decade of one man development hell.

It has somewhat older graphics style and the camera control can be off-putting at times but the game lying beneath the speed bumps is a real gem for anyone who likes completely sandboxed survival rpgs.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Map is utterly enormous, whether or not it's lacking points of interest I can't say since I've not played it much yet. Map on wiki doesn't look empty though.

I love the huge map and being free to do whatever I please without being grabbed by a plot the moment I start the game and be sent on a chain of glorious quests where npc after npc tells me where to pick up the next batch of bear asses for reasons. Though, this is coming from someone with 650 hours on Skyrim and still hasn't bothered to do the main quest past Whiterun so ymmv v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Speedball posted:

With minimal sarcasm, Fallout 4 in survival mode. Or New Vegas similarly.

No sarcasm needed here tbh, you just need to mod them heavily.

As for the question itself, Kenshi might be of interest if a non-plot sandbox is what he's after.

e: also Dead State.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 17, 2019