Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Really must get around to buying Long Dark. This may seem like a daft question, but if I buy it on Xbox Live as an early access now, that's the only time I need to pay for it? I'm not going to pay again when it's actually complete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I played an hour preview of The Solus Project, which is as close to 'The Martian: the game' as you're going to get. Pretty fun, and I kinda want to play a bit more now. I was very aware my time was running out and didn't need that pressure as well as trying not to die. I might have to slap some money down for it.

I saw pictures on Reddit of some guy's 'first hour in Solus Project' and he seemed to get a hell of a lot further than I did.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I've heard about that game, is it anything like a proper survival game? I played Biosys years ago which was a Myst-like take on the old Robinson's Requiem games and I've been hankering for something like it since.

Oh yeah, you need to eat and drink, stay warm, sleep, etc. There's a tiny bit of hand holding, and honestly, I could have used a little bit more beyond that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Solus Project and Firewatch are also on sale. The Solus Project is cheaper when purchased as a bundle with their previous game The Ball, so I did that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I considered that one; how is it? Is it basically a sci-fi version of TLD?

Edit: Referring to Solus; Firewatch looks neat but I'm cheap.

I've played an hour preview on Xbox, and it was pretty fun. It was vaunted as being like 'The Martian: the game', and it's not too dissimilar from that concept. Crashed ship, find water, find food, make fire, explore, sleep, etc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You didn't land on a beach and have to find shelter and light a fire and whatnot?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I like The Long Dark, but walking is so slow.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Walking is so slow in TLD and everything is really far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TLD needs polar bears.