Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I'm kind of the weird guy who doesn't get Valheim, I guess. I mean, it's okay, but through the first boss and into the Black Forest it seems pretty bland. I thought the subsystems were supposed to be amazing or something, but like deer hunting and such just seems to be generic creep, stalk, and shoot animal so it explodes into hide and meat.

Nothing wrong with it, but I really don't get the hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Yeah. Part of the problem is that I am a solo player. It's playable solo, but frankly, just not that exciting to do so.

There are a lot of internet posts out there saying it works great and is great fun solo too (which is why I bought it), but I'm not sure if I agree with them, having played it for 5-6 hours now.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What's the best open worldish survival game (other than Subnautica, which I loved but finished) purely for solo play?

Like I don't care if the game can handle multiple players, but it needs to be really good solo - I won't be playing with others.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I played a massive amount of Enshrouded and Sons of The Forest solo. The latter is explicitly designed as a SP game and the MP is more for goofing around.

SOTF is a horror game but half the time you'll be chilling in nature building log cabins and zip lining.

I actually bought Sons of the Forest and liked the beginning, but the first time I tried to build something more permanent than tent the game basically sent every cannibal to me on a beeline.

So I figured that was the game's way of saying "you need buddies."

Maybe that was just bad luck where I placed it. I'll try again.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

YerDa Zabam posted:

I'm 100% a solo player and loved Enshrouded. Binged 70 hours of it.
It just had its first update which has been highly praised, as well as looking positive for the future of the game.
Big recommendation from me. I loved subnautica too
Enshrouded has its own thread here btw

This is from the Developers regarding the Enshrouded Update:

"It is possible to run these as a solo player, but it might be a very challenging experience, and we recommend bringing some friends along."

This is exactly the type of thing that always makes me leery of co-op survival games single player, and why I'm looking for the single player first experience. I've seen too many things like that before, where you can theoretically do the content solo, but it just sucks and is clearly intended (and scaled difficulty-wise) to be done with a group. I've found a lot of co-op survival games that are technically playable solo are basically horrible slogs solo, because you're having to super slowly edge forward to make up for the intended teammates that aren't there.

I'm not criticizing the game at all - co-op games can be great. Just saying that sometimes it feels like they have a solo option in name only.