Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Q8ee posted:

A lot of people - myself included - don't like the idea of permadeath. I remember loving Don't Starve, but the permadeath stopped me from really getting into it. Was happy to hear they added an option to remove that.

Same with URW, if there was an option to save the game, I'd binge on it for weeks. But usually, I'll binge on it until I die and then ragequit. Mainly happens on characters that I've devoted a lot of time into. If it's a relatively new character, I'll just reroll and continue.

You can save the game by going into the folder and making a backup of your character data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I usually do a once a season savescum backup after I build a house, because screw doing that twice.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

I've probably played most of the usual suspects but I'm still wondering whether I missed a game or two. I like games where you're not necessarily surviving enemies but elements (think The Long Dark most of the time), you can bootstrap yourself in various ways (Cataclysm) and/or go from scavenging/foraging to more advanced tools and technologies (Rimworld). I want to build a house near a river and build a simple hydro plant on it and live like a hermit, just not in real life :v:

Thank you/drat you for mentioning Cataclysm. It set off a "Oh yeah, I was meaning to check that game out" thought in my head. The game has consumed my life and it's all I've done for the last week.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
You don't even need a Kota in the winter if you have full fur clothing. If you sleep in a shelter you don't even need a fire unless it's really cold.

I like to play challenge games where I start with the hurt helpless and afraid scenario in winter and throw all my gear in the water at the start. I don't allow myself to fish as an added challenge. I use the crafting mod though, probably wouldn't be possible without it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So the new Zomboid patch is uh... interesting. Base difficulty is a LOT harder, and I've gotten bitten and died every time I try to engage more than one zombie at once.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Mousewheel scrool zoom out the screen the whole way, you'll be able to see twice as far and see the animals the game is alerting you to.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
There was a mod for that but it's probably broken with the update. The existing mods for TLD are all pretty good but are a pain to set up.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
A pretty surefire emergency food source is a line of 5 loop snares along a North/south shoreline. They don't even need to be baited, they will catch birds as they fly or waddle through. You can also do this along the sides of your camp, as the game seems to love to spawn birds to interrupt whatever you're doing.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

long dark did a bunch of updates, released a couple new regions since i last played (and re-did their story mode). neat!

spawn in a zone ive never seen before, wolf eats me

ok wolves are behaving differently. turns out they no longer respond to decoys and fire pits don't scare them away because apparently those things were 'exploits'

TLD is one of those games where the devs and the players have totally different opinions on what the game should be and what makes it fun.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Do the badges you earn for the event do anything? I'm used to interloper and the settings for this event are kind of too easy in comparison.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

Anyone played Project Zomboid recently and can vouch for whether it's good or not? I can't even remember the last time I played but I remember being extremely disappointed with it. I've heard there have been some updates to it recently and saw a youtube video that looked pretty good (graphics and combat seemed to have been overhauled).

I want to like it because I've put hundreds of hours into CATA:DDA, but keep bouncing off Zomboid every time I've tried. Fighting zombies never really gets any easier and (without mods) you always have a chance to get infected any time a zombie touches you and your game is just over. Even if you do go hard into combat, the third person hit detection combat is so finicky that you'll eventually whiff what should be an easy straight on hit on a zombie, get bit in the neck, and die. You're actually encouraged to play it as more of a stealth game, but there are huge amount of zombies everywhere so to me it's a constant annoyance trying to do anything because I'm endlessly skirting around zombies. You can min-max your character to be super stealthy and pretty much just walk around freely, but then you realize how tedious everything is as you're grinding out junk items and building walls and tearing them down just to level your skills enough to build a base and that's usually when I give up.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I know it goes against their edgy humanity is doomed lore, but the endgame should be attacking other dimensions and closing the rifts.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The TLD devs have been fighting against the emergent gameplay of their own game forever, and don't want to ever allow mods, so it'll probably always only be the way it is now.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

I've never played it myself but I think Wurm Online might be something along those lines.

It kind of is, but it's horribly janky and has huge amount of grind. The last couple times I tried to play it I wanted to treat it like a survival game as a hermit in the woods somewhere, but walked for two hours and was unable to find an area that wasn't completely built up and settled. Both times my ~2 hour walks were ended by accidentally pathing too close to a NPC which killed me. Because of the jank you can't realistically run away from NPCs.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Bullfrog posted:

i think this vid does a good job of showing how the game is more than just the jokes some people make about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vheaj9sdvuQ

I've been having fun with this game. They thought a lot of stuff out, like getting arrested on purpose can be a viable tactic so you don't freeze to death and can use a toilet. There are a lot of "ah-hah" moments like that though, and it seems really simple until you discover all of mechanics. Not sure if I recommend it at the current price though.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
They are working on TLD2, so fingers crossed they'll listen to the poll they put out and the steam statistics they like to selectively release and have it be survival mode only.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

TorakFade posted:

Thank you, Ghost of Mussolini, for making me notice Going Medieval. :italy:

RimWorld got kinda old and I preferred the low tech part of the game anyway, so far this is basically a clone with 3d structures (neat stuff) and a very medieval coat of paint but for being in EA works like a charm, the potential seems to be there and if it gets a modding scene going it would be great! Scratches the survival itch better too, it seems to be harder to keep stocked on food without electricity and refrigerators

Ditto- when workshop opens up for this game it's going to surpass Rimworld for me.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
When my wife and I played we would dig a moat around our bunker and fill it with spike traps, then have further spikes around the base of the bunker. On horde night we stood on the roof and shot as many as we could. Eventually we'd put up junk turrets and stuff. We got probably 6 horde nights in before we moved on to another game, and we never had to resort to the cheaty stuff.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I was avoiding stationeers because the goofy player models were putting me off, but I picked it up because I love the finicky obtuse bullshit you guys are describing.

You know that feeling when you play a game for an hour and you know it's gonna own your life for the next two weeks? Yeah.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
You use tracking from the world map, and if it succeeds it'll tell you which direction to go to follow the tracks. Eventually it'll lead you to the tile with the animal, and you'll get that "you spot a x" prompt and it'll switch you to the zoomed in local map.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Kind of out of the purview of this thread, but for anyone who wished Empyrion was more crunchy like like Space Engineers or Stationeers- Starbase just entered early access and it's exactly that. It's an MMO with PvE and PvP zones though, and has no survival mechanics yet, but if you enjoy mining ore for 12 hours to build a ship that you design from individual components and run the wires and piping for, check it out.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I bought vintage story- what difficulty is everyone playing on? I immediately chose survival and it spawned me next to a wolf and then I had a chain of 2 more deaths of immediately respawning next to a wolf and then a fox. Thinking I might not do survival difficulty.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I ended up going with starting a new game in survival mode with the world map turned on, seems like a fair compromise for my sanity as I'd never know how to get back to my base after death otherwise.

This game is really, really sucking me in. I've been bouncing hard off minecraft every time I've tried it for 10 years now, but this game is extremely my jam. My only frustration is that I feel like there are a lot of crafting things that I am supposed to know from minecraft that it takes for granted that you know already, so the wiki is extremely sparse. I also usually like to play survival games for a while without resorting to the wiki, but like zomboid that's impossible in this game. Some of the systems are so obtuse that I don't understand how you'd ever figure them out without a guide.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Medieval Dynasty left early access today. I'm not very far in, but animal AI is way better and doesn't just stand there and let you kill it anymore. I used to not bother with bows and just use spears for everything, but it seems nigh impossible to use spears for anything but rabbits now. I've been getting my rear end kicked by everything else.

People on the steam community page are complaining that villages need tools and manure to work now, which is actually great to me as the maintenance-free resources villagers gave you kinda killed my interest in ever building a village out out previously.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Why are they still putting money into the game? People loved sandbox mode and hated the story, so aside from maybe making some new areas, what's the point?

I think they only have like 20 employees and the game has sold 5 million copies to date so they can basically afford to work on it forever, and I really get the vibe that story mode is the vanity project of the head guy.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Has anyone had a chance to play Starbase? Was wondering if it’s any good.

They've put together a solid engine but it isn't really a game yet. The only thing to do is mine asteroids and then build ships to attack other people mining asteroids. Salvaging other ships is more trouble than just mining and building new ones, so there isn't really a reason to that beyond just to be a jerk. Space is huge and resources are essentially infinite, so there is nothing to fight over.

There will hopefully be an update introduced before the end of the year that introduces capital ships and station sieges, however they haven't gave any inclination that they're going to address the "nothing to fight over" thing.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I've been waiting for Raft to go on sale forever and now that it did I bought it for my wife and I. After playing together about 7 hours it seems like it's the perfect game to introduce someone to coop survival games with- it's simple enough that a novice can grasp all the concepts easily, but difficult enough that you never run out of things to do.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I just started playing it. It's pretty janky and I can't decide if I like it or not.

It doesn't really have any real survival gameplay- you have to eat, but getting food is trivial. It's kind of like Ark meets Age of Conan with hints of Life is Feudal.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Jackson Taus posted:

I played it for like a day. It's a lot of fun, and there's a lot of different gameplay/advancement loops. Some of the translation is pretty janky though. The game also really needs a small group to really enjoy it - there's just a ton of stuff to build and do, and a lot of gameplay is tied into guild mechanics (though I guess you could make a solo guild)

There are also more skills than one player can mechanically unlock, so once you get to the mid/late game you have to start to specialize, which means you need a guild.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

If I don't find iron more or less immediately at a site I just move on, seems like it's all over the place in big veins you can't possibly miss once you get juuuust deep enough that propicking near the surface would tell you nothing and exploring on foot means getting swarmed by drifters nonstop

I've put a lot of time into Vintage story and haven't even gotten to copper tools yet in any of my games. I have never seen a copper vein. Am I just supposed to pan for copper nuggets for hours until I have enough to make the basic blacksmithing tools plus a pick?

I like it a lot but I can play for a whole real life day and accomplish very little. I feel like I'm missing some fundamental aspect of the game and it's making it harder for me. Also the dev has been putting out huge updates every month this year so every time I go a few weeks between playing I feel the need to start over from scratch.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The problem I was having with vintage story was that I spent the first 20 hours playing in survival mode. Surface metal doesn't exist in survival mode and you have to pan for your initial 300 or so copper nuggets to get all your mining gear.

I started a new custom game with the survival settings but the normal metal settings and am having a much more enjoyable experience.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Yeah it does

You may have somehow rolled the worst worldgen possible, but I've never seen a survival mode start where copper nuggets didn't pop up regularly every ~100 blocks

Sorry, I was being hyperbolic- they might as well not exist. They're set to "very rare" on that setting. I found one once in that first twenty hours but couldn't find a trader that sold picks, so I had to resort to panning and gave up before I got anywhere.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Huh. It never clicked with me until now that you can just cast a pickaxe. For some reason I thought you needed an anvil and had to smith it. That would have made things soooo much easier.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The key to surviving the blood moon is understanding how zombie pathing works. Zombies always take the easiest path to get to the player, and will dig if the easiest path is digging underneath your base or walls.

Sturdy walls don't matter that much until late game when boomer zombies come into play, and it's more important just to have the weakest part of your defenses be the location where you actually want to fight the horde.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Look at Stationeers (which I admit is one of my favorite survival games). I just don't think Rocketwerkz has the talent in-house to create the level of graphics that they purchased for Icarus.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Sorry for starting up the stationeers chat again. If anyone does get into it, the best advice I can give you is that the game is really designed for you to utilize the traders to survive. If you don't, you will almost certainly starve to death before you get food production going. Keeping a pressurized room at a consistent temperature and precise gas mix is something I still struggle with, and I have 160 hours in the game. Also look up how to make tier 2-3 tools in the wiki and make that your first priority, because they are a HUGE timesaver.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
7dtd is really the only survival game with good base building and defense, which makes sense given it's kind of the point of the whole game. Also, they did something in A20 that changed pathing and the zombies no longer path directly via the easiest route. They still favor the most direct path if they can see it, but they no longer magically know things like that digging straight down and over 3 tiles will break through your basement layer. You can still build bases to cheese the AI if you want to, but just building a box with good visibility on all sides surrounded by spikes seems to work just as well because the zombies will run straight into the spikes instead of going through any holes on the opposite side like they used to.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

how do you level up sneak efficiently? even with inconspicuous, zombies are still turning and seeing me no problem when i've only got a few points in my attempt with that pack

There used to be a tactic where you set off a car alarm and run a few screens away and hide, then sneak around just out of aggro range of the horde

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I just picked up Space Engineers also, and it looks like exactly my kind of thing. I avoided it up until this point because I thought it was just a sandbox and I didn't realize there was a survival element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Probably an alarm clock in a dresser drawer