Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is this the place to get some Valhiem help?

Edit: found the Valhiem thread and reposted, sorry.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I was very excited when I first heard about it but, after watching it on twitch, I agree that "interchangeable with literally any other "open world multiplayer survival crafting early access" title on Steam" is a perfect description.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never heard of vintage story but it looks interesting; how much, if any, direction is there for the gameplay? I'm not saying I need a story, but is there any goal beyond living as long as possible?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean, I love, love, love the story mode for Long Dark, seriously, I recommend it to all my friends and it's one of my favorite games of whatever year I happened to realize it had a campaign. I'm going to devour that new episode once the weather turns cold here. But all that said, it's not much like other survival games, and the campaign especially has some significant idiosyncrasies in the gameplay.

For me it feels more like an RPG?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 8, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does 7 Days to Die support paid servers? No one is playing my Valhiem server anymore and it's time to stop it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Shout out to Wildlander, a new Skyrim overhaul out this month. It focuses on survival and immersion and I think it'd be worth a look.

https://www.wildlandermod.com/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If I'm excited for anything from "Blizzard" it'll be four years from now after Microsoft has built a new team to reinvigorate one of their IPs.

I'd imagine current Blizzard is trying to get this game started and far enough along that their creative vision persists after the merger.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"wow: survival game" is conjuring visions of EverQuest Next".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

empty whippet box posted:

Does anyone itt know how I would go about setting up a dedicated server for valheim? My irl friends and I want to do it because it's annoying that one of us has to be on and hosting to play. Been googling this a bit but I'm not feeling confident about what I see and could use advice from someone who knows how to do this correctly.

Depending on what you mean I used, IIRC, ValHost.net, it was like ten bucks a month and gave me a high quality server that supported a half dozen players flawlessly.

Edit: yes it was valhost.net

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Same, I don't play MMOs so if my friends glom onto a survival game for a month, it's just like having a sub to FF14 or whatever.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Set up a Vrising server for my friends and played the first hour. Combat really is better than your average ARPG; honestly this is what Blizzard needs to accomplish with D4 since they're making them more and more bombastic anyway.

But I wanted to ask, I get a roof at some point right? Right??

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm the idiot that bought Kenshi after reading this thread and looking at the store screenshots *but not any gameplay* and then was dismayed to find out it's a third person point and click game in the style of Neverwinter Nights.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I know it's at odds with a lot of the core gameplay elements, but I would absolutely love a state of decay 2 mod that makes zombies finite and non respawning, so I can slowly pacify the entire map.

I do love that "individual dies, team continues" mechanic though, I'd like to see it in more games. Valhiem plus SoD NPC mechanics jumps out at me as a great game.

Canuckistan posted:

I'm getting into the Long Dark after bouncing off it a few times. It's pretty good so far, but I'm wondering how the gameplay will evolve to keep 5 episodes interesting. I imagine that the survival gameplay becomes trivial after you're used to the mechanics, and then it's primarily an interactive fiction game?

The single player campaign is my personal favorite survival game, but it's fundamentally a step or two removed from the core elements of most survival games, being more linear and more narrative focused. Mechanically I'd say it doesn't get old because each chapter adds more layers to interact with, more complications based on your circumstances, and a different overall narrative goal. But, if you're already experienced with all of the game's mechanics from the sandbox mode I could see the earlier chapters feeling like unnecessary and tedious tutorials.

Basically I'd say it's a good game that really suffers from being associated with the genre it's in; like, it's fundamentally not as good of a "survival game" as Ark, but I'd also assert it's a well done, and uncommon, blend of a Tell Tale style narrative or walking sim with some actual mechanics buttressing the conversations and exploration.

Edit: Thinking about it further, I really got to the heart of what I like about it with the comparison of "a walking sim with mechanics"; that's a sort of badly defined genre of game that I absolutely adore, another example would be Death Stranding, and the more complicated and punishing Skyrim overhauls like Requiem.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 1, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I bought vintage story and was alarmed at how loud my laptop got as soon as I turned it on. I mean I guess it does that on AAA steam games too, but it surprised me and thoughts of an indie game burning my GPU flitted through my head.

Still, I have friends that play Ark and I bet they'll like this.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As someone who loves Valhiem but doesn't like mine craft, this thread definitely got me to buy it, and it's in my back log of "huge and engaging sp games to play at some point".

I'd appreciate a thread for sure, because while I want to at least try to learn the mechanics myself through experimentation I'd also like an easy overview of for example often overlooked inputs/ commands, things that are notoriously obtuse and people frequently get wrong unless someone tells them, etx.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dawn of the second day in VS:

Why am I sometimes getting the error that I cannot place a knapping surface? I've tried relocating the stone.

Edit: I see, I have to prepare some stones with another step.

Edit2: Killed my first animal and feasted on it's redmeat :black101:

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 17, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So after talking with folks here and in the game recommendation thread, I ended up trying Subnautica again after abandoning an abortive permadeath playthrough years ago. Holy poo poo I love this game. The diagetic ui, the hostile, frightening, but beautiful game world, the clear story motivation and apparent end game/win condition, the FP perspective with decent graphics, it's all so good.

So good, in fact, that I'd like to ask ahead of time for suggestions on what to play next? What else do I look into it this. Subnautica, is my perfect survival game?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm a bit of two minds about using the wiki in Subnautica, on the one hand i generally want to learn the game myself, otoh two or three times now I've said "FFS I haven't found X and I've looked everywhere for hours and I'm sick of it" and EVERY TIME the answer was that I'd already been to the place that has the tech, sometimes more than once, and I just physically over looked it.

One of them (the prawn), I seriously think might not be anywhere else, because lord knows I can't go three feet without finding a piece of a cyclops.

The other time was when I resorted to looking up how to entee the mountain island ruin and the answer being just explore that island l never occurred to me.

Anyway, I hope i haven't ruined my play time with this great game, I now have a vague list of places to go alien sites and I absolutely won't be looking up where they are.

Edit: yes, TLD is absolutely my other favorite survival game, so at least now I clearly have "a type".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Subnautica sequel, while generally a smaller and less interesting / varied world, made it so that scanning any wreckage gives you a random technology from that region's tier

That is exactly the thought I'd had while playing, so that's awesome.

I thought I probably shouldn't play the DLC back to back? I need to finish Elden Ring so I Was going to do that, or basically anything else, to try and put soke distance between the the base game and the DLC.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I skimmed, very lightly, the PC Gamer review, and it 1) said it's almost as good 2) improves on base building, vehicles, and land exploration 3) suffers from a more involved plot and character interaction that didn't land for them.

So. Honestly, yeah that's two positives and a subjective negative.

My friend HATES it and says it's an example of devs not understanding their own game. I've intentionally not asked him for details but yeah the game seems to be well regarded by some and despised by others? I think I'm going to like it.

And apparently they're making a third!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can tell the first Subnautica protagonist is a man, especially his pain barks, but i like that he's fairly androgynous. He's not a meat mountain, you never really see him, he doesn't talk, he's always in a wet suit, etc.

The other one being a lady doesn't matter to me or, if it does, it's a positive.

Oh hey its starting to look like grounded might be really good actually:

https://www.pcgamer.com/grounded-review/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Mods in general, especially a randomizer for Rogue like runs, would extend my time with the game a ton.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah the PC gamer review was very positive and I'm quite excited to hear about it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah i was looking at that and how it still said "early version" or "demo" or something

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wait the card game is on android?? I googled it and I didn't see ugh.

Edit: is it card survival tropical island?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't tell if the onboarding in grounded sucks or if I'm just ignoring the main quest and locking myself out of upgrades. Because it sure seems like I can gently caress around for a half hour making a house and then realize there's no goddamn roof parts unlocked.

And now I've managed to bring an Orb Weaver into The Oak Lab. Nope, not having a good time.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 2, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Slanderer posted:

I started up The Long Dark today on my steamdeck and a new popup appeared before the main menu, which i accidentally clicked through. Does anyone know what that was about? I know there's an update + dev diary coming soon, but I couldnt find anything published in the last few days that would've been advertised in a news popup. I've been playing the game a lot recently, so this would have been from the last few days at most.

Not sure, but you got me to read the dev update and it's pretty good stuff, a confirmed conclusion to SP and paid MP expansions.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah it's deceptive. I certainly have gotten my money's worth out of it but you have to be willing to sort through UI to play.

Like was said upthread it has a demo if you want to try the steam version.

Also, I played 20 minutes of it on Android, decided I couldn't get past the UI, and refunded it, so I guess that's an option? It was extremely simple to do though I guess I haven't, like, checked my CC transactions to make sure the refund went through.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bit of a side question here because it's not the same genre, but I'd welcome the opinion of anyone in this thread who has played Days Gone? I dabble in "moto camping" and adventure bike riding IRL and days gone seems like the only game that has a motorcycle and anything like survival elements, so I'm curious if anyone has played it and could speak to how granular it gets with fuel, repairs, etc.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just guessing a gameplay mechanic but it sounds like chopping down trees increases their spawns, maybe someone who has played can spoiler a response. don't actually tell me in plain text because I'm gonna install it today and play it - more exploring less base building sounds like a nice change of pace to me

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

DLC for The Long Dark coming in December: https://www.thelongdark.com/news/dev-diary-october-2022/

Everything sounds great except the new areas being only connected to a new hub you have to travel to. I was hoping for increasing the gameplay depth in the current world. Do people like seeing even more maps? I've always felt TLD had enough.

Safehouse customization??

If I can make a cozy cottage I am never coming back.

Edit - I have no map opinion because I only play the campaign (obviously I'm considering playing this updated survival mode).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh I had to google travois, yeah that's neat.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I believe you can do both, they have:

A scripted narrative single player campaign
An open ended sandbox
Themed scenario survival with win conditions
(Ex: get to the lighthouse across the way, or kill the spooky bear that's gunning for you)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had absolutely no clue Cabin Fever was a thing because day time is for doing stuff outdoors and night time is for indoor chores.

I always call Long Dark a "nomad" simulator because, as was said earlier, it's a game about travel rather than that classic survival loop of returning resources to a central base. Yeah you'll have bases, and make enough trips to it for it to feel like home, but your goal is always to be well prepared enough to GO somewhere. This is probably heavily influenced by me only playing the campaign.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm in love with the Long Dark purely for it's narrative campaign, but I hope they can satisfy the sandbox players too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yo, my friends and I are all playing Valheim again and its reminded me of both how much I love this game but also how much of it I've already played. Has anything like it come out yet? I know there's a few in the works, but nothing notable has released, yeah?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's not out yet but I'd say keep an eye on Enshrouded.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203620/Enshrouded/

Thanks, I'll keep up with it, but I played another early access dark soulsy survival game and five seconds of combat told me it felt bad, hit detection, animations, etc, so that's the kind of thing I just need experience when the game is out. Looks neat though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Google Butt posted:

Are you guys playing in private games? How does progress work between private and public servers?

According to PC Gamer the progress is all server side, if you jump into a friends game the progress won't be there when go somewhere else.

I haven't played online but i made three single player PCs and can confirm that's how it worked there.

Game is great btw; it solves the one big problem Valhiem had, which was the pointlessness of exploring any iteration of a biome once you had visited any example of them. This game has unique points of interest scattered everywhere, unlike Valhiem where "we have black forest biome at home" was a huge deterrent for actually exploring.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone please sum up what kind of game Skull and Bones is? Server or local host? If server, one or many? Persistent characters? Pvp? Non consensual pvp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

Here is what I posted over in TFR when I was semi-live blogging the closed beta in the games thread there. Skip to the end if you want the final thoughts but the tl;dr is "game bad OP."

Thanks, I'll stay away. Sailing in Valhiem and Atlas was a delight but I'm waiting for a game to create enough friction and mechanics to make those journeys the entire game. This ain't it.