Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You should consider adding NEO Scavenger to that list, its a Post-Apoc survival game that pretty much fits this style. Here is the SA thread for it. The dev (its a solo project) is a pretty cool guy and has an SA account and posts in the thread occasionally.

Its an early access game, but he puts out content at a good pace. Steam Page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The only different thing I see there is the character sprite?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

For all we know the protagonist could be a chubby Texan.

I'm waiting for the story mode until I play again.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Doesn't thoroughly cooking meat pretty much eliminate the risk of stuff like that?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Subnautica is pretty cool so far. Got set up with a few essentials (knife, scanner, fins, radiation suit) and am gonna start building a shelter near what I *think* is a heat vent (hoping there is thermal generators since I've discovered solar snd biogenerators).

The seaglide handhrld propeller thing has been great for scouting around. Found an area that started looking like it went deep but then I spotted some big and scary looking in the murky water and decided "nah I'll just go this way instead".

Is the map randomly generated? And do fish not regenerate? I've noticed there a almost no fish left around my pod. So either I've eaten them all or they've learned to avoid the area.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 26, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

:ohdear: Subnautica has big open areas of ocean where you can't see the bottom or basically anything, doesn't it?

Judging by the store page screenshots you can go deep enough the sun doesn't reach at all. Pitch Blackness. :ohdear:

But this is about as deep/open as I've gone so far:

I pretty much immediately RTB when I notice the sun is getting low. Night is scary. :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just grow creepvine on a planter in the middle of my base. Free lighting! :v: And yeah, stacked tanks can hold a huge amount of fish. Honestly, now that I have a filtration machine and the stillsuit I think I might just clear out my Airsack tank and use it for raising eggs or something. Hell, I barely do anything with my Peeper tank either, since I got a small arboretum going and even just two lampfruit trees produces more than enough food.

Currently sitting with my Seamoth sitting tucked inside a wreck in the Mushroom Forest, waiting for night to pass. Its scary at night this deep down. :ohdear:

Also I didn't realize the devs of this game were the same ones as Natural Selection until I found an NS2 poster. :v: Somehow sharing Alterra Corp just passed right over my head.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 28, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

QUOTE IS NOT EDIT

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 28, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Awww Yeah. :getin:

Drunk in Space posted:

Yet now it's being held up, along with the Long Dark, as a shining example of how to do EA right, and also seems to be one of the best-selling titles in this genre going by Steam.
Apparently its doing really awesome on Xbox1 as well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm really not sold on the mobile base thing though. I think the seamoth is good enough and I'd like more incentives to build real outposts in the unique locations instead.
Assuming you mean the Cyclops as the Mobile Base?

For wandering most of the map the Seamoth is perfectly fine, yeah.However, the Seamoth has limits to how much you can upgrade its crush depth (800m IIRC) and the story will eventually take you deeper than that. AFAIK the deepest developed/partially built areas on the map go down to over 1500m and they're planning on going even further.

Not only will the Cyclops have a much deeper crush depth fully upgraded but they're going to update it to also be able to dock the Exo-Suit which is what will be used for ultra-deep exploration. In fact it may be required since I think I saw conflicting info on wheter or not you can even survive outside a vehicle that deep.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Toadsniff posted:

I haven't tried any of the newer scenarios, but I'm wondering if there are any mountains in this game that aren't a freezing hell. Really hoping for a tropical or temperate mountain experience sometime.

The Long Dark is set in the Northern Wilds of Canada so you're going to be disappointed in those hopes, I'm afraid.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Music Theory posted:

Unreal World is pretty neat, but also has some weird design decisions (like movement controls)

What do you mean? Are you referring to the fact you have to turn to a new facing before moving? If so there is a "Traditional Roguelike" movement mode now (and has been for a long time).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looks like The Long Dark is coming along nicely. Recent Article about how Storymode is progressing.

quote:

“Many of the exterior updates—like more detailed rocks, better grass, trees, etc.—will be gradually released in Sandbox updates,” reads the update post. “Most of the interiors—places like the Carter Dam, the Camp Office, Pleasant Valley Farm, etc.—have been updated with much more detailed interiors.

"Those interiors will be released when we launch Story Mode, so even the fans who are a lot more focused on Sandbox will be get something new to enjoy.”

As we've already learned, Story Mode follows the exploits of bush pilot Will Mackenzie and doctor Astrid Greenwood, and as such Hinterland has also recreated the clothing assets so as to better reflect its updated character designs. A better interface is planned for the Clothing system, on top of improved customisation features.

Pretty aurora. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 4, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its a strange glitch where sometimes the gentle drift gets wonky. Its generally suggested to repair the pod (which ceases the drifting) ASAP.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Keep getting tempted to play TLD again, but it sounds like the beginning of story mode is just around the corner, so I keep telling myself to wait.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The Last Dark is 50% off this week's midweek madness on Steam. According to the devs, this will be the last chance to get it at the Early Access price.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Long Dark

:doh: What a brain fart. Hah.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

OneTwentySix posted:

Wow, it's remarkably stupid to post a countdown to releasing a release date. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

It happens a couple times a year and it's funny every time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

TeaJay posted:

They need to add a compass to TLD. I'm just horrible with directions and orienteering in general. I get lost walking from Trapper's cabin to Lake office.

I know its no excuse, but would compasses even work in TLD's Geomagnetic event? I haven't played the story yet so maybe that mentions it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Unreal World is really good. We have a thread here if anyone is curious. I also did a let's play for the Roguelike LP megathread that might give anyone curious a good idea of what the game is like.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It saves some things when you sleep but other things get saved/recorded in real time from what I could tell after some alt-F4 fuckery. I found it best just to backup the entire save folder named after your character.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So does Empyrion not have invertable flight controls? :stare:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I played what I guess was a pre-alpha, someone linked it in the thread months ago. It was pretty fun if shallow at the time so I imagine it can only grow from there. I'm keeping my eye on it.

Yeah, sounds like it might still be a little bare right now? But it certainly seems interesting.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ShootaBoy posted:

Is there a good guide, or like, competent LPer that does Unreal World around? I've tried to get into it a few times but oof, it's rough.

There is the old (somewhat unfinished, not that URW has an ending) LP I did for the Roguelike LP Megathread. The thread itself has fallen into archives, but thankfully most of the LPs were done using the LP test poster to prevent pages from being massively cluttered.

Welcome to the UnReal World!
Trades and Tutorials
A Fortuitous Fox
Competent Fisherman
Reindeer Games
A Great Voyage
The Lakes and The Locals
A New Best Friend and an Old Enemy
Graduation and Deforestation
There and Back Again
In the mind of the wood selector is making a log building

A few systems have changed since then, including the new rituals and the removal of the survival skill.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Qubee posted:

Unreal World is awesome, but man did I end up relying on fishing a tonne. I had a cellar full of dried / smoked fish. I gave hunting a go, but I'd lose the animal's tracks too often, or I'd miss a bunch of shots and not land a killing blow.

I tried making those spike pit traps to herd animals into, but you need to make them so long to be effective and I quickly lost motivation and went back to fishing. It's the one food source that's reliably dependent.

Get a dog, a dog makes hunting animals so much easier. Don't even need a bow/javelins. Just sic the dog on them and follow the barking to find your dog harrasing an exhausted animal, then just spear it a few times.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It kinda is? The titular (randomgenned) Rimworld was once a civilized world with advanced tech but eventually fell to ruin for whatever reason. Maybe not a literal apocalypse but definitely building in the remains of those that came before.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Then a bear walked right through the front door in the middle of the night and, after a brief struggle, murdered him in his bed.

That is why I leash my dog(s) to a tree near the door at my homesteads. I also build a fence around my "yard". The dog(s) usually wake you up with their barking if something hazardous approaches and the fence will slow the intruder down enough for you to get out there.

EG: (though these days I'd remove the external door and just climb the fence to get in)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I never make a permanent homestead until I'm well established with gear (especially most, if not all, the specialized axes). Usually I start in spring with the goal of starting my homestead in early-mid fall. When I first make a character first order of business is making a few javelins for throwing then I'll just wander around, looking for villages and hunting. I like to start in the southwest corner as that is the most "civilized" region with relatively more settlements and a better selection of equipment. If you're new or just want an easier start its good to pick Kaumo as your tribe, as they're strong, hardy people who start out with good skills and usually you'll start with a good weapon in the form of a solid spear (perhaps even a Kaumo Spear if you're lucky). Don't worry about preserving meat when first starting out, just kill a deer/elk/moose, skin and butcher it and roast as much meat as you can carry. Obviously most of it will spoil before you can eat is, so trade most of it to a village for whatever you want or need. When in doubt, arrows make a great lightweight, modestly valuable "currency" for bartering with.

It sounds like you got unlucky not finding dogs for sale. They're totally worth it though, as they make hunting easy and improve your survival odds in any kind of fight (except maybe at range against a bowman).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 4, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The second spear would fetch some good stuff in trade.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I’ve always found arrows to be a nice lightweight “currency” to carry with me, especially since it has a secondary use.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Qubee posted:

Well la dee da, look at Mr I Built A House. The most I ever managed before succumbing to the inevitable cold clutches of death was a basement to store my food in that I'd never use because a bear mauled me to death. That and a few walls. And then death.

Maybe next time you will remember to appease the forest spirits properly and they won’t send a bear to ruin your day. :colbert:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That kind of gameplay shift is probably pretty hard to do, and lots of roguelikes are small passion-projects.

Especially ones like URW.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Only the Forest Spirits know that. Sorry.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

probably just means shallow areas in rivers you can ford across, not Fjords.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah. I only picked up the game just before the Build 41 IWBUMS was released, but it’s been fun. haven’t lasted more than a couple days so far but I just know I’m gonna get a breakout.

Doing better now that I’m being more avoidant and getting used to the new combat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I recall you posting some MP screenshots a few weeks ago, Isoor. Just know that the IWBUMS Build 41 beta doesn't have MP yet and it may be quite a while before it does.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Unfortunately they will not.

quote:

Due to the extent of engine and gameplay changes in Build 41, existing savegames will NOT be compatible.

At the time of the full build release, for those wishing to continue playing on old saves, a Steam beta branch of the current Build 40 will be available – and will continue to be available at all times.

This will be known as ‘PZ Classic’, and will also allow people to continue to play with their favourite mods until such a time as they are updated.

At least the characters/zombies look a lot nicer now. Also there is neat stuff like repairing clothes!

(this one isn't mine, like I said, I haven't made it a week, let alone two months)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 21, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What mods would you suggest? I haven’t touched that game in a loooong time, might be interesting to see it again.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Doesn’t Grounded have an Arachnaphobia slider that slowly turns spiders in just kinda cartoony blobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If you can afford one, a dog is incredible for hunting and will easily pay for itself (and its food cost). When you spot a deer/elk/etc just unleash it and order it to attack and it'll chase it around. Try to keep up the best you can but otherwise just follow the barking and eventually you'll find your dog harassing an exhausted animal you can take down pretty easily.

Not without risk though, once or twice I've had a dog badly injured by a lucky kick when the animal decided to fight back, I've also more than once spent hours searching a forest trying to find my dog (and sadly not always to success).

Basic javelins are easy to make and are a decent early ranged hunting weapon. Also consider keeping a few stones on hand for throwing at small prey you chance upon (its fun to chase squirrels to isolated trees and just pelt them to death while they're stuck in the branches).

Arrows make a good lightweight "Currency" when you've got excess trade value to get rid of.