Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It is very depressing. My first run ended with me sending my people on a suicide mission to kill a particular enemy after he shot and killed one of my original survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I just wish NEO had like, a combat arena mode, cause the fighting was my favourite part. Really good little descriptions of all the loving up you did and all the being hosed up, all with fun stuff like shards of glass and pots and poo poo.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I finally installed UnReal World and it's pretty cool so far. I followed an elk for a long time but eventually lost its trail. Luckily I've been reasonably successful at fishing.
Is there a good guide, or like, competent LPer that does Unreal World around? I've tried to get into it a few times but oof, it's rough.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Are they that bad? I mean I know Ark is poo poo and always has been, but what makes the official servers awful?

edit: whoops, look at me, the idiot forgetting that was an old tab :v:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Won't work if he doesn't like supernatural stuff. Kinda the plot of NEOScav.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I want to play it, but jesus is it impossible to learn.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Welp, just bought UnReal World. So I guess I'll probably be popping in here a lot more often as I try to get to proper grips with the game. Hopefully having some level of actual investment into it will help me stick to trying and not just give up.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Well, have at least got something of a handle on moving around in UnReal World so far. Just doing the tutorial stuff still, but I got up to starting a fire. Had a clever moment, or at least a moment that made me feel clever, where I figured out how to drag a fallen tree and move it over to an open area to act as fuel for the fire. Felt pretty proud I thought that up and managed to do it. Next little play session will start with cooking and we'll see how far I get.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Got past the Tracking course, even though it drat near killed me and still might, depending on how the next couple days go next time I play. Burned through all my fish, and spent like 3 days wandering the wilderness just trying to find a drat animal that was leaving tracks, it kept raining every time I tried to sleep so my chars schedule is all sorts of hosed now and he almost died of exhaustion trying to get home.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Feeling quite accomplished with myself. Can't figure out hunting for poo poo because I keep almost starving to death while looking for an animal, but after several grueling days, I have built a raft and managed to get it out onto the water so I could set my nets out. I can only hope that not having to manually fish as often will let me spent time building up wood reserves and start thinking about other things than 'do I have enough wood and fish to not die today'.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 17, 2019

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'll keep those in mind, even if hunting an elk is a bit beyond me, but that'll likely have to be done later, on another character. Was out looking around my little camp and ended up jumped by a robber. Tried to fight and thought it was going well until I was suddenly knocked out. Now I have no bow, no knife, and no clothes :sigh: That's pretty much a death knell for this guy.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

That is a great story, but I don't think I can emulate it. Scrabbled back to my camp just now to take stock. My only clothing is a rough nettle cloak and some mail mittens. No pants, no shirt, no shoes. I've got a few roasted fish and my nets are out in the water, but my only shelter is still the basic one as I only have a stone axe to work with. It's almost halfway through summer, I think, and I have yet to kill anything other than fish, so I have no hides to even think about making clothes. No idea where the closest settlement is because I can't travel very far from home without risking death as I have no way to carry water and not much in the way of food for just how often you need to eat in this game. Not to mention my injuries from the robbers.

And looming above it all, I have no knife, so I don't think I could even craft most things now. This guy was never going to be very long term, just being my first go at seriously learning the game, but it does kinda suck to lose him now, when I was certain he'd at least make it to winter before freezing and/or starving.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Well what would be step one to even try and continue living? Got a handful of roast fishes for food, and my camp on the shore of a little lake at the border between thick pine woods and a mire. Don't know where any settlements are, but I believe I was somewhere in the south, possibly somewhat east as well, I can't remember exactly.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Well, I just started playing again, ready to at least try the advice. Unfortunately I can't make any rope, and thus any snares, because a stone ax doesn't work for peeling bark from a tree.

edit: and without a knife, all I could build would be entirely empty pit traps with no fences, because it takes a stone ax multiple hours to carve a simple wooden stake.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 20, 2019

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

dylguy90 posted:

I believe you can turn small saplings into cord now on the latest update

Withes, yeah. I have like 10 feet of those that I made way back at the character first being made. They don't count as cord for the purposes of snare traps, or for making rafts.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Sadly, I'm officially forced to declare this character a dead man walking. You need a knife to carve a shovel, so no pit traps can be made. There's just too much that needs a knife to live without one, especially when I'm still trying to learn.

Off to a new character, I suppose.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

loving UnReal World snagging me again after the anticlimactic end to my first proper go of things. Started up a fresh gal, on the dead dad start vs the fisherman I did last time (wanted to be sure I got an axe.), stripped pops for everything and ran the gently caress away. Wandered a little bit til I found a spot where the forest bordered a lake. A settlement happens to be right by just a few tiles away which is nice, but kinda useless, they don't have much to trade.

Got the basic stuff down, and went and made a couple of traps down along the shore, pit and the basic lever trap, vaguely hoping either an elk runs over a pit or one of the ducks I can hear set off a lever trap. Starting to really hope one does, because I am real poo poo at actually catching fish with this pole.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

So I cut up my dead dad's clothes for cord and made like a dozen loop snares spread out along the shore and in the nearby berry bushes. Baited them all too, but still haven't caught any of the drat ducks that I still hear around there.

But! I went out on a short jaunt around some nearby forest just down the road from my camp. Didn't have much luck with the few bits of small game I ran into, they all fled before I got a good shot. Until I literally stumbled into a small herd of reindeer. Somehow they didn't see me when I dropped in nearly right on them. I hid and snuck a little closer before they spotted me. I took a chance, and let an arrow loose at the closest one, hoping to maybe hurt it so I could chase it down. Game had other ideas, because I hit it square in the thorax and killed it in one shot.

So now I have 124 pounds of reindeer meat to deal with. Thankfully there's like 5 settlements within an easy walk. Still wanna try and build a cellar to see if I can keep some stored.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Yeah, I went with the dad killed hunting start to help ensure I got an ax.

So it's summer, so no drying any of this meat, sadly. Tried to trade it around, but the three closest villages didn't really want any meat. Couldn't get a dog or some nets with about 50 odd cuts. So I came home, roasted everything up, built a cellar and stuffed it all in there. May try another trading run with some roasted meat, and probably some of the spare boards and the furs dead dad had on him. Try to get a dog and maybe those nets.

edit: also, are antlers and bones worth anything/good for anything?

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 1, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

It may have been a mistake, but I was able to trade away the bear fur I started my run with for a big dog at one of the villages. Also picked up a wooden tub and a bit of dried meat to stuff in my cellar. It's currently somewhere around earlyish June, I think, so its too moist to dry meat, so all my reindeer cuts have been roasted and stuffed into the cellar, just gonna have to see how long they keep. Not sure I'm gonna have the time to build a cabin, seems pretty resource and time intensive and I don't know if I'll be able to get it done before its too cold to just sleep in my lovely shelter.

Toying around with the idea of taking advantage of having a dog and trying to hunt up enough furs to make a kota instead, since they apparently keep warmth in if made with furs. Anyone done (or attempted) winter survival in a kota?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Guess I'm gonna be trying to hunt a lot, then, cause right now all I have is a 2 lb badger fur. At least I'll get in some hunting and tanning practice, even if I highly doubt I'll live very long into winter.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

My meat stockpile rotted away, so I did a bit of desperation hunting. I spent 45-60 real life minutes and lost two arrows in the woods, but I brought down another reindeer through a combo of arrows and just plain chasing it down. Bless the spirits for letting me knick it in the leg early on, I think it would have got away otherwise. 109 lbs of meat and a fine hide :hellyeah:

I also began the construction of my hut. Got one corner and two wall sections done. May have over extended by deciding to try for a 2x2 interior, but I'm committed now.

edit: How often do you need to feed a dog, by the way? He wasn't much help on the last hunt as he was starving a bit, though this time we both were. I just want a better idea of how often to feed him to keep him in optimal hunting condition.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 13, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Major Isoor posted:

What I definitely recommend doing is making sure to get the appropriate axes (at least have a handaxe, woodsman axe and a carving axe

I'm trying but all the villages around me are Koivula and I haven't seen a single axe for trade in any of them. So all I've got is my rough woodsman's axe, makes building rough when it takes two daysish per wall section.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

I'll just have to keep looking as I get stuff to trade. For now, I swapped that fresh hide and some other bits for a cooking pot and a punt, and then found one of my snares with a grouse in it on the way home. So overall, I'm feeling pretty confident at the moment, even with just a single, lovely axe.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

TorakFade posted:

2x2 Is barely a smokehouse IMHO :v: go 3x3 or bust :D

(Joking, you only need 2x2 anyway for a bed and fireplace, but it kinda looks bad and busy once you start dropping your stuff inside. My current home is 3x2 and I want to expand it)

Get more axes. Even if it means killing someone and prying it from their cold dead hands. Seriously, axes are life if you are the slightest bit serious about building and don't want to spend literal days just squaring off logs. The woodcutter's axe is a good compromise for almost everything but quality impacts work times so a rough one isn't ideal... I usually have a handaxe on me all the time for emergency use and a full set of the others in fine quality at my main base, even if it takes me a 7 day trip to Driik lands hauling a ton of tradable stuff to get them (weapons looted from Njerpez are excellent for this. Bring more than you think you'll need. And lots of food. Remember you can pack stuff on your dog if you're almost overburdened )

A dog will eat 1-2 cuts per day, I usually keep some stacks of smoked/dried bland/awful meat on me because they're super light and the doggo doesn't mind about quality, but where you are yeah, just be happy if you can regularly feed it

Noted, but I think I'm gonna soldier on with the one axe for now. Had a bit of an issue with how the game lays out the building so now I've got a 3 wide north side that I have to deal with. I do have a roof/floor section and a fireplace set up though, and I'm hoping that I can start smoking meat before we hit fall. I've also gotten quite the bounty from the spirits lately, my snares having caught 2 grouse and a hare :D

edit: drat, need more than just a wall to smoke meat, or I was doing it wrong. do I need a whole, complete cabin to smoke? Seems to be so, sadly. Did just knock a flying grouse out of the air with a rock, which is pretty cool.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 13, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

TorakFade posted:

code:
RFR
W = wall, R = roof&floor, F = fireplace

Ah, that may be it. Right now I've got something like this

code:
CWWWC
CF   C
Where the C is the corner. I guess I need to build more ceiling/floor and maybe another wall section or two, not 100% sure.

edit: I'll give the village smoking a go with my next big hunt, try stringing up a couple cords to test out their thievery or lack of.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 13, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

One last post before I get to bed, far later than I was planning thanks to this game. Just wanted to illustrate what I'm working with at the moment.

This does not count as enclosed enough to smoke meats. Tomorrow, I'm gonna put another square of floor/ceiling on the square in front of the fireplace and see, barring any outside insight. The left side is currently the corner and then one wall piece.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

TorakFade posted:

hmm under the "old rules" this should've worked. I think they changed the definition of heated room then and you have to finish building it unfortunately :(

(you are starting the cookery action on the roof/floor tile next to the fireplace, yes? Because if you're starting it on the grass where you are in the screenshot it won't work no matter what, being outside the "room" :v: )

I was trying it from the roof tile, yeah. Tried it again just now, even setting a fire just in case, though the coals were still hot enough to cook regularly. Didn't work, game says it doesn't qualify as an enclosed space, even with another floor tile in front of the fireplace. I'm also burning through my food pretty quick and not seeing a ton around to hunt, I may have overextended trying to get smoking working.

edit: ok food is solved for the next few days. cornered a reindeer in a marsh.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 13, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Thanks to this thread, some folk on various discords (are there any good URW discords?), and a healthy helping of luck from the spirits, I've done it.

I finished my cabin with some time to spare. Already have some lines of meats up and smoking, a cellar with a little pile of dried and smoked foods I traded for as I built, a few nets I also traded for that I can check with my punt, a cooking pot to boil my meats and help extend my meals, and I've gotten more confident in hunting with my dog Aatu. So now my focus is going to be on alternating between hunting some big game to smoke and get hides from, while also working on making traps and things, and basically just try to stock up on what I can before winter hits.

drat does this game feel good.

edit: can I tie my dog up inside the house? do I need to when it gets colder?

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 17, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

TorakFade posted:

Congrats, with that house and kit you're at the point where you "solved" survival and the only threat will be boredom / big predators / Njerpez. Be advised - winter is SUPER boring, days are short, nights are incredibly dark and with waist-high snow getting anywhere is a pain. Make a lot of firewood for your fireplace, stock up on torches and fur clothes (and make/trade for skis) if you want to move around.

I think you can tie up your dog to trees but not directly to the ground or the house, and I also think it's completely unnecessary - dogs don't suffer from even extreme cold, and unless you're not feeding them regularly they won't flee; used to be that unleashing your dog was a surefire way to lose it forever as it just bolted away and it was super hard to find him again, now they mostly hang around you anyway as long as they're fed. Good doggos.

Once you start getting REALLY bored, you can look into mods - there's a specific section in the official forums, and people have added an insane amount of stuff, mainly crafting recipes ranging from basic to super-involved (ironworking, sewing, cooking, new tools, new weapons and so on). It seems the most up-to-date is BAC mod (log in to see the download link) that adds a poo poo ton of new stuff

I'm still in quite a knife-edge spot honestly. My traded for stockpile is probably about a week's worth of food between me and my dog. All the stuff I'm smoking will take a few weeks before it's ready and food, as well as the big game, are scarce because of the number of close by villages. For now I need to stock up on wood and get a hide to just make into tons of cordage, then skis and hopefully a fence.

I'm taking this gal as far as I can, to hopefully finish the survival course at least, which means getting through winter so I can do agriculture.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Not too sure I wanna go all mod crazy, at least not yet anyway. Not when I still sometimes have to grapple with certain items or processes. Like did you know that birch bark rope doesn't count as cord and so can't be used to make snares? Or that harvesting lake reeds doesn't put the cut reeds in your inventory, but instead drops them into the square you harvested them from. I figure that once I know most things and stop stumbling my fingers along certain key combos, I might look into mods.

Semi related to my cord discovery, is there an actual minimum length that an animal leash needs to be? Cause I notice my dog came with 15 feet of rope, and if I can get away with cutting some of that off... well I could use another 2 or 3 snares to bait with spoiled meat to try and catch some of those drat eagle-owls that hang around.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

So I haven't actually experimented with that stuff with the leash :v But! I did spot an elk on the overworld on my way home from one of the villages. Ran home, dropped all my poo poo, grabbed the dog and some javelins, and I took off into the marsh. Couldn't see them on the overworld, but I zoomed in and managed to follow some tracks to them. End result of a bit of chasing an few tossed javelins, 220~ something pounds of elk. Seems the wiki is outdated when it comes to smoking math, because I certainly wasn't able to smoke 19 pieces of meat per cord. Unless it means "a full 15 feet" when it refers to one cord.

Actually, I can test that now, depending if I can use bark rope as a leash... Expect an edit soon!

edit: Learned several things. Birch bark rope does work as a leash for animals. You don't need a full 15 feet for a leash. And 10 feet of cord/rope will smoke 19 lbs worth of meat.

edit edit: Ok, so a full 15 feet of cord/rope will smoke 30 lbs of meat at once.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 3, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Well, I lost my dog :( Was looking to make some winter clothes, and have more furs in general for cord and trading, so I grabbed my javelins and the leash and set out hunting. Was wandering around several kms south of my camp and past a village, when I suddenly ran into a njerp with a bow and a bastard sword.

I sicked my dog on him, then tossed a javelin and started running up. Dog knocked him down, but by the time I had closed in, he had slashed my dog up bad enough for him to crawl away in retreat. Stabbed at him with my javelin and then my knife when he made me drop it, but I hurt him bad enough to run him off. Went to put the leash around my dog and get him home for food and healing, but he died right after the leash went on :(

:rip: Aatu, you were the best dog I could have asked for, and god is winter gonna be a lot harder without you around, buddy :(

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Bringing this back up from the depths to thank you guys. If it weren't for this thread, I'd never have learned how to manage in URW, and I'd be the worse off for it.

Whatever happens to this place next, y'all are some excellent people.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Gotta communicate "hostile danger to destroy" somehow :shrug:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Deketh posted:

Speaking of Unreal World, any tips for starting off? The UI and complexity is pretty intimidating

Get used to hitting shift+?, it brings up a whole screen of the controls for you to reference.

You can do some things with the mouse, but you'll be surprised how quick you'll get used to the keyboard once your head wraps around it.

Probably the "best" way to start with an intention to learn is to go with the failed hunting trip start, as it gives you a load of equipment, and doing the basic wilderness survival course the game offers, which gives you even more useful stuff.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Kenshi is on sale for $17.99. Typically I don't really go for ultra hard games, but I have heard good things about this one. Is it worth the :20bux:

Kenshi isn't necessarily ultra hard because of raw difficulty, its more because its deeply, insanely complex and doesn't really tell you a lot outright, leaving most things for you to either logic out (carrying heavy poo poo around makes you stronger) or learn from painful, painful experience (the best way to raise your toughness is to get the everloving poo poo beaten out of you.)

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

packetmantis posted:

I play these games because I like building and exploring and I loving hate griefers, thanks.

:yeah:

There are so many games I'd love to just wander around, scavenge poo poo, and set up a little base in the woods, but they all have to go and slam that fuckin' "100% PVP and balanced for always online clans" button as hard as they absolutely can.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Hell yeah it is. Never had a feeling quite as strong as the first time I poled my painstakingly built raft out onto the lake to set nets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Shift+? is one of your best friends, even as your muscle memory catches up. If you stick it out you'll get faster at puttering around camp, and it'll start coming naturally. Of course it might just not be your game, but by then you'll probably have figured that out.