Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I can't believe you left Don't Starve off the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dylguy90 posted:

I will always recommend Subnautica, especially if you have a healthy fear of The Black Abyss

It may actually be helping me get over my thalassophobia! I want to be able to scuba dive someday. (Also I loving love survival and exploration games, and Subnautica is a really good one other than giving me mild panic attacks)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Music Theory posted:

Subnautica also really opens up in terms of having big empty voids of really deep ocean. It's a great way to either get rid of thalassophobia

This is, no poo poo, a reason I play it despite the anxiety attacks.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Yeah feels like almost every survival game really quickly just becomes an exploration/building game. TLD is maybe the only one in the recent wave of sandboxy survival games that truly feels like a survival game.

Don't Starve?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The last time I tried to play The Forest my potato of a laptop didn't like it and I didnt investigate too much to see if there we're any Hitman-issue diabolical tricks to fix that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

After that, I plan to head east a bit, set up my kota, make a cellar and some pit traps, etc. and start scouting out the region for Njerp hunters and villages. Then when I'm confident of my skills and equipment (after killing plenty of roving njerps, mostly) I'll sneak near a njerp village, dig+cover a few pit traps assuming it's still warm enough to dig, then go into the village and pick off a couple, then run back behind my traps and keep on shooting, until one or two fall into the pits. Then just hack and slash, praying that I make it through alive! (I mean hey, I've done it once before without the concealed pit traps. But that was far too close, for my liking)

yeah i'm very fond of the stories that presumably get spread

"for days, hunters reported sounds of digging. something was out there. something smart. something with plans"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Retrowave Joe posted:

Just signed up to test Palia. The article I read described it as a cross between Valheim and Animal Crossing, which sounds extremely like my kinda game. I’ll report back if I get in.

ah, finally wrapping around to The Terrible Secret Of Animal Crossing and the ultimate showdown with Penny

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I can't actually find how to craft improvised dressings in Card Survival. I assume it'll happen when I figure out cloth? which will probably be after this guy dies from accumulated monkey bites

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

VegasGoat posted:

Anything like card survival for ios? The only thing I found was maybe Frost survival card game. Is that worth the $4?

Definitely worth 4 imo if I'm thinking of the right game (you're fleeing ahead of a blizzard).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Card survival: how do I tourniquet, I just got bit by a shark but I can't figure out how to put it on.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

There's essentially no reason to put more than a leaf bed in the shed, you'll get a mud hut running soon enough.

also, when you have a hut, you can throw all your rotten food in the shed so you don't have to smell it :v:

optimal play is to do everything that can be done inside, inside, but it's a little annoying to keep going in and out

In my own playthrough I seem to have stabilized in the dry season. It was a bit touch and go for a while there but keeping yourself constantly soaked in seawater goes a long way towards both keeping your mood from collapsing and reducing how much you sweat

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Part of the issue is that the game time runs in chunks so there's no "weave the fronds for 15 mins, get the food off the fire, finish the fronds." You're there for 45 minutes flat, so something that burns in 30 minutes on the fire can't be cooked while you work. Just an example, but in that way time can really get away from you.

if you start a 45-minute task when you put a 30-minute-to-cook item on the campfire, you'll come out before it burns

RandomBlue posted:

You start something cooking and forget and commit to something that takes long enough to burn your food? The game gives no warning or prompt about it, you just lost your poo poo.

in addition to the other comments, may i perhaps interest you in smoking things on the stove? you'll still get annoyed when you burn crabs but a lot of your cooking products will continue to the smoking stage, then sit there happily for hours if you forget (while the stove wastes a bunch of fuel lol)

Rynoto posted:

Burned food sucks but is ultimately replaceable as hunger actually takes a long while to kill you and doesn't have any longterm negative effects unless you do it for extended periods of times.

there's supposedly a hidden nutrition meter that mostly impacts how quickly you get hungry but i don't know if that's true

e: hooray, dry season survived, unless there's another curveball out there waiting to touchdown me for the checkmate, this character's going to make it to the end

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 28, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I currently have a respectable stockpile by virtue of frantically exploring for banana trees, but yeah, there's not really a smooth way to get specifically loads of long sticks. otoh you're going to need an enormous supply of logs, so,

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

My gut tells me sleeping gives more mood and rest for the buck than two naps. My gut could be wrong. and even if so I very often nap anyway so I can start some more stuff smoking or respond to rain in the medium season or whatever

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Yeah it's brutal. And for the quicklime you should really just bake a large stone. It gives like 10 each when you grind it.

you should what

I mean, I have enough of a conch supply from when I was terrified of food shortage but

what

also dry season tip: load up some empty containers with seawater every couple days if you're not actively living on the coast, staying wet cuts your water consumption by like 30% and doesn't cut into your precious freshwater supply if you do it that way

e: to put it another way, salt water is worth about half as much as fresh water, which is a shitload in the dry season

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 5, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also card survival has a seven day demo on steam now

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Danaru posted:

God dammit :cripes: that seems obvious in hindsight

Anyone got tips on finding flint slabs?

spend a bunch of time at the beach rocks or the jungle highlands

I don't know as much about the latter just yet because failing a climbing check when you're in a precarious situation can be Very Bad and im only finally reaching a comfortable state of affairs, but the beach rocks double as a decent enough source of crustaceans and seagulls

seagull farming is just a little gamey lol, leave a couple prawns lying around and bean them with spear or rock when they show up

if you miss, oh no, they took two (2) prawns

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 5, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

my understanding of animal populations is that while they're a tracked number, it's tracked by zone and they'll repopulate that zone and adjacent ones as long as there are some, so unless you make a concerted effort to wipe out (say) lizards or monkeys they'll still exist in whatever zone you're not actively purging, but they'll be much less common in (say) the jungle

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bay is incredibly appealing until it suddenly isn't. I personally use the jungle as my base - bugs can be obnoxious if you're not a start that trivializes them, but otherwise you're one zone from the wetlands for emergency water, one zone from the bay for all the good stuff, not extra-dry, and not extra-hot. Also, loads of construction and crafting material from exploring or just plain axing.

slapping down a shed in the bay isn't the worst idea though, just in case

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Use your increasingly large stacks of firewood to run a campfire or preferably a stove and do some crafting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Is there a way to douse myself in water to cool off without spending 15m taking a full bath?

Nope! well i mean other than incidental activities like diving or spearfishing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The only? self renewing dry season water source in the western? island is inside the wetlands cave. I don't think it's possible to survive on it exclusively, but it'll stretch your banana trees long enough to find more banana trees.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

simply allowing me to have multiple chests without having to remember that the second one contains my conches is excellent

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rynoto posted:

Storages could already be renamed.

lies, surely that was just added and i didn't just miss it for *checks notes* 30 hours

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

unconvinced that chilis are actually renewable, I've been exploring the 100% explored western grasslands for like a week and haven't found a single darn plant

obvs once I get one I'll be running farm plots for the rest of time but unfortunately I didn't save one last chili for that

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rynoto posted:

How many did you use? As it only spawns in the grasslands you could theoretically depopulate it but you'd have to be seriously trying. Otherwise just keep searching at low odds or wait a week or two before searching again once it replenishes.

only like five, that cannot possibly be all the chili's at day 100 or whatever it was when I pushed that first exploration batch

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

Ambiguous Amphibian short video on Stardeus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZadAfX4C-s

this is pretty much the poo poo i was wishing for just the other day, i really hope it's good

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Card Survival update: there have been no goddamn chilis in either grasslands for long enough I'm suspecting it's a bug / update related problem. I only harvested maybe ten plants total, over an extended period of time. At this point I'd edit my save file for it, except it's really hard to figure out.

I literally just need one, been sifting through gastric leavings on the off chance it has a low chance of giving me a chili :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

chili grassland number is at 700 and very slowly going up, so i suppose it's actually working somewhat as intended

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

yeah fish traps being destroyed in the only places you can actually put them seems a bit much

e: escaping at 183 days, lol

i think i might just have to go with the "stay on the island" ending because my guy's already going to have lived there forever

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 27, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

dogstile posted:

Sneaking is actually easier because shooting people makes you depressed.

The supplies mostly help with that, though.

good ol Boris can snap necks because he is very large and not get depressed because he is very traumatized

any run without him does rather encourage stealth, and indeed, he needs to be somewhat stealthy to throttle bandits and soldiers in melee range before they blow him away from not-melee range

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Count Thrashula posted:

Is Card Survivor worth 25 bucks? Or is it a wait for it on sale kind of game?

it's probably worth $25, i've got almost fifty hours in but haven't quite won once (but i'm apparently really awful at optimizing it), but it's definitely worth $15 so unless you're really hankering for it you might wanna wait

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yes, but I'd play the demo on steam before investing. It's a great and very deep game but the interface isn't for everyone.

oh yeah forgot about the demo, this is the right answer

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CuddleCryptid posted:

Looked on nexus and boy did they. It's a testament to the moddability of the platform... right?

Actually I'm surprised no one has done a Project Zomboid style overhaul mod, it would be perfect for it. Especially if there was a way to randomly generate new rooms on search.

There's apparently a post apocalypse overhaul actually, but it causes weird behavior if you try to play the base game with it installed so I haven't tried it out yet.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I found it pretty self explanatory many moons ago.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Wildmender is just a couple steps from great but i don't regret the purchase. The visuals and ambience are top notch and the gardening is very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Smalland is out of early access and on sale. Is it worth a drat?