Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So I just put two hours into the Long Dark. I Kickstarted the thing and hadn't had any time to sit down with it until today.

It's... pretty disappointing so far. Very nice looking, yes, good sound effects, good atmosphere. But unplayable. It's basically a random item generator for the various safe places you can commandeer, and if the dice rolls aren't in your favor, you're screwed from the get to. There are knives, hatchets, logs, but no way to fight off wolves except for punching them, and there's no way to do it and *not* get injured in the process, as far as I can tell. Foraging for wood is a game of chance, even with a hatchet in hand. There's no map or compass, or way to survey. The economy of things is really lovely. Every log adds an hour and 20 minutes or so to the fire, but getting new logs takes minimum of an hour. You can get food poisoning from canned items. Tools degrade with astounding quickness: knives and hatchets lose up to 10% of their durability with each attempt to do anything.

And once you know the map, it's not survival at all, it's just resource management until you inevitably run out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I just put about 20 hours into Subnautica and I think that's all I'm going to get out of it. Got a base, got a Cyclops, but I'm not feeling the urge to advance beyond the first part of the "plot". I'd still like a game with base building and defense and exploration, but I really do like the feeling in Subnautica of "I'm safe in my submarine, hanging out in the dark, crafting some stuff and figuring out what to do next."

Is there anything like that hanging around? Is the Forest worth playing in single-player? Is there a Space-nautica with space stations and poo poo?