Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Depending on your taste, exploration of the dangerous set pieces like dungeons and hell can be fun, and there are late game bosses that you can try to take on. But generally no, most of the fun you get out of minecraft involves mega constructions (which requires a lot of autism) or multiplayer (which requires some luck on finding an interesting and not horrific server).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

It is very depressing. My first run ended with me sending my people on a suicide mission to kill a particular enemy after he shot and killed one of my original survivors.

Counterpoint: It can be depressing. My first run ended with us surviving the war with only one major scare (a serious illness that sent me scrambling for medicine) and three reloads to figure out the jankiness that is the combat system.

The thing to remember about This War Of Mine is that it doesn't lay on the grimdark the way that a lot of games do. It presents you with set pieces and allows you to deal with them in a horrible way if you so choose, but it is by no means required. After you figure out a few critical things, the game is actually quite easy.

A couple of these tips, if you're interested:

• All bad states (sickness, injury, depression) self-perpetuate and will not simply get better. You have to do something about them. This sounds bad until you realize the next thing.
  • Sleep cures everything. EVERYTHING. If you get a message that someone is ill, immediately put them on bed rest and keep them in bed the whole day. They will never progress past Slightly Sick and you can sell all your medicine.
  • If you have a character with a special skill (such as Bruno the cook), they only need to INITIATE the action to get the lower resources bonus. You can, for example, queue up cooked food with Bruno, then once he starts the task, send him to bed. Anyone else can then complete it at no penalty.
  • The shelter can be cleared out in the first day if you keep on task and focus. Be sure to do so.
  • When Franko comes around, buy all the wood you can from him. You need a lot of it and it sucks to haul it back to the shelter.
  • Get a Hatchet and bring it on scavenging missions when you're looking to get fuel. You can break down wooden furniture at locations and bring back tons of Fuel. The first abandoned area you get can yield 40+.
  • Have an idea of the poo poo you want to build and make a shopping list for when you go scavenging.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The combat in This War Of Mine is almost entirely centered around taking someone by surprise and killing them instantly. All other fights are basically random and can turn against you her quickly. Most characters can kill from hiding places with a hatchet, but from a normal backstab only Roman and Arica can. If you want more details check the wiki.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Anybody here like Dead State? Not precisely a survival game but it fits the bill. Can't really get past a certain point though, I keep hitting a wall where everything kicks my rear end.

I want to like that game really hard, but a lot of the changes they made to it during the Reanimated update make it rough to play. Zombies used to be so dull that if one was alone, you could roll up behind it and hit the combat button, getting a good turn in with your brawniest striker before they could do anything. They were still an issue in groups, but with good weapons and armor, they were a little like...fires. Or broken power lines. Environmental hazards, basically.

Which I liked. The reality of the situation is that things that are slow and dumb are not going to remain fearsome predators for too long. People are going to learn how to deal with them, and it will not take that long.

The Reanimated change increased the zombie attention radius such that it's impossible to efficiently sneak up behind them any longer. The now-ideal way to do things is to get their attention from the front, about 4-5 hexes away, so they shamble toward you but lack the AP to make an attack. The effect is largely the same, and with a little practice it is just as safe, but the entire process takes much, MUCH longer.

If you're referring to a wall where human enemies kick your rear end, that's unfortunately to be expected to some extent. The human enemies in Dead State are the real bad news bears, and there's no sign posting the encounter level at the start of the map. If you run up against a bunch of bandits or whatever that are too tough, gently caress 'em, walk the other way. You do not need to clear the map to survive the game - in fact you really don't need to clear very much of the map at all. If you can't find more places to explore, then shamelessly look at a fully populated world map. The game is absurdly stingy with giving you locations that should be readily available from any of the half-dozen locals you pick up during the game, so you should feel absolutely no shame at all about looking at a map.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 16, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Subterrain is a pretty good Mark Watney simulator, but you'll have to deal with a couple of colossally idiotic design decisions that will hamstring you severely - not the least of which is, while you make your base in Central Control for the vast majority of the game, you are not allowed to download local maps of ANY of the areas you visit. This is an issue because the places you visit will lack heat and O2, forcing you to rely on charged stores. Particularly early on, these resources drain FAST, and the only place to restore them is your base. Travel time is a thing in the game, so returning home to recharge your heat and O2 packs is a real problem.

The ideal thing to do is to pack the parts to fix the local heat and O2 regulators, but since the maps are not revealed, you need to learn them through frustrating trial and error, dodging enemies all the way. This isn't an insurmountable problem, but be prepared to restart your game a good 3-4 times while you figure out the optimal way to lock down your base early on and pack a proper survival kit. Because holy poo poo that game doesn't tell you anything and it is VERY difficult to recover from your mistakes after you've made them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

I haven't read it! I might now.

I did recently watch the film, maybe it rubbed off on me.

Watney himself is the real attraction of the book. He's irrepressibly funny even as things explode around him (sometimes literally). If you're an audiobook kind of guy, the narrator on Audible is also top notch - he does a lot of the accents that the various characters have flawlessly.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Met posted:

That used to have its own thread. Haven't heard anything out of that game in years. Is it pretty much done?

Not even close. It's basically in the same purgatory that Dwarf Fortress is, without a somewhat likable little weirdo at the helm.

It comes out with updates occasionally, but they're all generally disappointing or boring because the game's tag line rarely feels satisfied. It is supposed to be about how you die, but invariably that happens in one of two ways:

1) You get bullshitted by a zombie that was rendered 6 feet away but was actually 6 inches away and it infects you. You then have about 12 hours to have a final murder campaign before the infection consumes you.
2) You get a personal fortress set up in the woods or near a river and you stockpile enough farmland to feed yourself indefinitely on cabbage and potatoes and water yourself on the river or from a sufficient quantity of rain barrels. You spend a month or so digging impregnable defenses until you realize it's all pointless and you quit the game in boredom and disgust.

The multiplayer can be fun at times but generally speaking it's all a low-pop wander match and the non-respawning nature of most of the supplies means that most servers end up in a sort of stasis very quickly.

Really, the game at the absolute least needs a way to detect when you have beaten it and give you the game or to advance to the next phase. If the question is 'how will you die', and you set up a fortress of solitude to wall yourself off from the bad things, it should say 'okay, you got me, you win. now let me tell you about how you died of boredom and loneliness in 6 years.' That's the absolute least. Going forward you can spice that up by saying 'okay, cool, you got me, time skip 2 years to when some raiders or some military remnants show up' or something. And multiplayer as a whole should really take a bunch of pages from Ultima Online's old playbook because right now the absolute best thing to do is to join up with someone who has a pile of books, build a shanty by the river, and then just grind like crazy until you're end game. And then there's nothing to do but go out and fight other players.

Instead they do stuff like the art revamp and the inclusion of subterranean z-levels, which are pointless when the z-levels you HAVE are boring and there's no reason to play the game in the first place.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Lots of people are Mad about the cabin fever and internal parasites changes. It seems pretty easy to avoid cabin fever and most of the people upset about it don't seem to have actually encountered it yet. Internal Parasites on the other hand have been an issue for me, mostly because one wolf gives you a lot of food you suddenly can't eat.
Yeah that seems super dumb. If predator meat is too good then just reduce the number of calories it gives you, this whole new mechanic that weirdly limits how much of it you can snarf down is stupid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think it would be alright if they added decay to parasite chance. As it is now if you eat one piece of wolf meat you will get parasites eventually. They could even do something like -1% each day so you'd only really be able to eat one piece every other day for the lowest chances. You can't survive off of that.

Man, I want to hear the minutes from the meeting where they decided their current implementation was a good idea.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

well if we are gonna mess with how it works Real World then we should probably also point out that antibiotics are not effective against parasites

there are specialized anti-parasitic drugs for parasite infestations. they are insanely hard to find outside of pharmacies and hospitals

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Bremen posted:

We do have a Subnautica thread, by the way.

this thread otherwise gets like 3 posts a week and they're all about the long dork

it's fine.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Salt is kind of a tropical version of Long Dark, main difference being that Salt doesn't have anywhere near the engineering horsepower behind it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i think it's worth noting that Salt's biggest coup is that they got Rock Paper Shotgun's Bestest Best Exploration Award...

...for 2014.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they are both going to die

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you can scare them with a flare if they run directly over it, but wolves are essentially the big reason to get a bow going asap because holy nutsack are they obnoxious as all gently caress

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ah fair enough, i can't say it's a huge loss if they got rid of that, since it was already so drat picky to begin with.

regarding the sandbox as a whole, i'm not sure how much more they can really add to it without it feeling insanely samey. it's already at that point for me; i've survived many months on enough spawns by this point that i just don't see the point in going in and screwing around with their new thing that much anymore. even the new supposedly super-hard map really just meant to me 'avoid that poo poo until you've managed to find or craft some good stuff' and i had almost zero trouble with it after the ~month of prep time it takes to be functionally immortal in the game. i feel like they really need to just get over themselves and start working on the story mode or some sort of compelling objective mode to shake the game up. the scenarios were super cool when they came out, but at this point they are also mostly known quantities.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

packetmantis posted:

"I've played everything there is to play in this game and now it's not interesting anymore!"
:qqsay:

Dyna Soar posted:

how long has it taken for you to get to the point where you know the whole game by heart? a couple hundred hours?

calm down goons, there is no need to get defensive or snotty about this. i did not say TLD is a bad game. i have enjoyed it immensely. my point was that going out there and surviving isn't enough in and of itself anymore, which is actually a huge problem with survival games as a whole. it needs a directed challenge, preferably one with time limits or something else instituting urgency, to really make it interesting again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the bow is definitely a trick and a half to aim, though thankfully once you get used to it, it's like riding a bike. i would definitely not feel ashamed about starting a Pilgrim game just to screw around with it and get feedback.

also are you sure the bullet is not hitting the deer? a deer will not go down immediately when shot unless you get a sicknasty headshot; it will run around and bleed out for a long while first. that said, sicknasty headshots are what you're going to want to go for on voyager. the rifle was never difficult to aim last time i was playing, it was just a matter of lining up the ironsights and being patient enough to let the deer move its head into your sights. don't go chasing the animal around visually, just set up and let them come to you.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

gently caress thoreau

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

dude sux/is a dumb head

simplicity is not spiritually enlightening or idyllic, it is the literal definition of poverty and drudgery

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

dude, i have a summer cabin w/o running water. don't knock it till you've tried it

how did you build this cabin? if you didn't fell each tree yourself, learning as much as needed about both timber and lumber as needed, ol' henny boy is mad at you.

how do you keep this cabin warm? do you have a stove? a fireplace? did you construct these things yourself?

do you have any iron tools in that house? did you mine, smelt, and shape this metal yourself? carve the wooden handles?

what about your furnishings? did you grow, spin, and weave the cloth used in the couch or on the bed?

how about the food you have in the cupboards? did you grow, process, can, tin, and store this food yourself? or do you bring some in from the local grocery store?

all of these things are rooted in interconnectedness and interdependence in an economy of insane complexity. i can definitely get down with wanting to say gently caress the rat race for a bit and hang out where there's nothing to do but do some basic chores and stare at the ceiling. it's super peaceful. but that's not simplicity like henny dan liked, that's a vacay.

FuzzySlippers posted:

This is the open world RPG I want. Need a dedicated button for bitching about sheep.

screen flashes red whenever you see a sheep take a dump and if someone suggests compromising about the grand canyon the game outright rewards you for murdering them

muir owned btw

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

i did, yes
i think you are lying sir!!!!!!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Overwined posted:

I really think it's an unfair characterization of Naturalism to always equate it with stoic, self-imposed hardship.

"Who would have gained more at the end of a month: The boy who dug, smelted, and shaped his own ore, reading as much as required to do so, or the boy who attended the classes on metallurgy, and received a penknife from his father?"

^ - Literally a thing HDT wrote, he then went on to virulently defend the first boy as the cooler and radder kid

you know, despite the fact that that kid likely cannot do all of those things in a month, even without worrying about feeding himself (which is cheating by his own rules here, but so is reading tbqh), will make a terrifically inferior product, and is liable to hurt or maim himself in the process. the second kid will get what he needs to know, get a pimpin' knife, and have a lot of time left over to read about other things, work for money that will get him other things, or just go out and get laid, which makes him more successful biologically.

HDT is a dumbhead and people should not look at him as anything even approaching a legitimate philosopher, dude is as legit as ayn rand.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

he had next to no influence as a conservationist. deep ecology arose from scientific tinkering by the likes of paul ehrlich (the scientist, not the unfortunately named and constantly wrong as hell arch-pessimist of the 1960s, who hilariously was a big spokesman for deep ecology) and his contemporaries. HDT was never cited as a serious inspiration to any of them in the multiple volumes of books those actually qualified people wrote on the subject. you needn't accept what i'm saying here as a hot take, go ahead and read wikipedia on the matter. hell you can read HDT's own page and note that while walden is his most known book, his most influential text by far is on civil disobedience, which actually had influence because that was a topic he had actually gone out and put his hands on. his naturalist writings were largely romanticism dressed up as practical life advice. the entire reason conservationists don't hearken back to HDT is because he has no loving clue what he's talking about. even greenpeace sorts go back to their central air homes at the end of a hard day of protesting and will happily say that we shouldn't be disassembling electrical systems. that's not what HDT is about, by his own admission and repeated assertion.

i'm perfectly familiar with gary snyder, and he's primarily a poet - he also does environmental activism sure but he has been neither terribly important nor influential. are you familiar with what actual conservation work and activism looks like? it looks like these cats and is done through institutions like robert nairn's watershed restoration inc, which are not HDT's self-defeating version of naturalist in any way shape or form.

reality is holmes that HDT is a dumbhead when it comes to nature and only has the reach he does because he was the most widely published dude in the room. i read him first too. i eventually found ehrlich and friends and got into poo poo that seemed like more than grasping at straws, and then kept reading and found there are at least 3 full schools of thought in the current conservationist movement, none of which agree with even 10% of what HDT talked about it walden or his other ostensibly 'green' essays.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so the basic duality here is that you're considering an impact on the romantic impression of environmentalism to be a big influence, whereas i think that's a huge load of bullshit because that provably does not lead to any action whatsoever in saving any watersheds, ecosystems, or species.

well i can understand your viewpoint at least, though viewpoints like yours are precisely why conservation movements poo poo all over themselves more frequently than do anything useful.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you really just make yourself look churlish when you do stuff like that

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i havent read that one though it is on my audible list for after i finish my current state intelligence kick

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

we had a chat on the inter nets

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

thinkin u didn't maek that paint yourself SIR

in seriousness reminds me of the cabin my uncle had in the great smoky mountains. man i had a good time there as a kid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

it's made out of blueberries and cum

think what you want about what was posted that entire conversation got us this post

in my book that's worth quite a bit

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

I don't really care about the dumb countdown but did they have to call it 'Wintermute?' Are we gonna get a story about a rogue AI causing a geomagnetic anomaly?

Gonna guess that's just what they're going to call the event because someone's a neuromancer fan

Which is cool, Gibson is a boss so

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

other times molly limps through in agonizing pain because she's lost half of her blood YET AGAIN and you can patch her up in return for some cash

i swear she spent more time hurt and gutting through it than she did healthy in neuromancer

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm finally gonna get back into the game because of story mode. surviving is cool but without a purpose to it i ultimately feel like i should be playing a game with more direction.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

bigmandan posted:

You could try one of the challenges if you have not done so already.

how the hell did i forget that these were a thing

pro tip dude thanks

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah there is no dilemma with rabbits. if you feel one it's because you've never actually met a rabbit. those overgrown rats deserve to die, they're assholes one and all. gently caress them. i haven't figured out a great way to line up my throw though, i've gotten a handful of rabbits so far and it still mostly feels like luck. fortunately the general use case is to walk around and do whatever it is you do and just throw a couple of stones at targets of opportunity. if you miss, who gives a poo poo, just let the rabbit go, just pick up your stones and keep walking. there will be another one around the next corner. just get the next one.

i actually ended up at the farm before i showed up at milton because i took a side trail to avoid a wolf. there, i relearned exactly how god damned useless reclaimed wood is at providing fuel. fortunately that farmhouse was easy enough to get into and provided plenty of resources for me to take a day and just patch my clothing up. sure makes going after fuel easier when my poo poo isn't falling apart and i don't instantly freeze when i step outside.

somewhat related: is it worth dinking around in chapter 1 to build up some resources before going forward? there's clearly an opportunity to get a couple days' life support and a decent bit of crafting resources from the local area. also, how quickly do prepared herbal remedies deteriorate, if at all? i've been keeping rosehips and so forth in 'prepared' but not 'tea' form because i'm concerned about the tea getting lovely before i need the medicine.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 3, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Drunk in Space posted:

This is just for you, but I'll spoiler it all the same (it's not really a big spoiler, though): you have to climb out of town at the end of episode 1, and a fairly big change made to climbing some patches ago is that you can no longer do that while encumbered. So in other words, you're not leaving town and progressing to the next part of the story with more than 30kgs on you. And once you reach episode 2, I don't think there's a way to go back to Milton (yet). So no, don't worry about trying to ransack the town and taking everything not nailed down.

cool, good tip, but that isn't really what i was trying to ask. more specifically, there's a couple of tools and a lot of game around, and i was wondering if it was worth aggressively hunting the rabbits to cure the hides and gut in addition to the no-brainer of cooking up a fair bit of meat from them. also, there's a clear opportunity to get a good collection of hardwood to go with books for fire fuel and starting respectively. i was more wondering, if i take the time to do that - ie, get a number of cured pelts and guts for future crafting, a good 12-16 hours of hardwood fuel, and like 7k calories in edible food, etc, is the game going to have me fall down a ravine and lose all that poo poo immediately or will it actually be a worthwhile activity to get ahead of the 'gently caress' feeling you get when you look at your pack every time in games like this

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yo heads up about the Gray Mother early on be sure to talk to her just after you stock your fridge, a more elaborate trust bartering setup shows up and she can provide you a couple of nice perks, most notably the blueprint for rabbit-hide mittens. her favorite input is rabbit hide, so it actually is worthwhile to stun and kill those rabbits early on, even if/especially if you just leave them in her house until you're ready to trade in the hides. that said, i wouldn't worry too much about farming it because that improvised knife you start with comes out of your hand in pretty bad shape and i'm honestly not sure it will survive the abuse carving up all of those rabbits would require.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

question about the long dude: i know at one point during development, they added some bullshit with parasites if you ate too much wolf meat or some nonsense. is that still in the game? i just killed my first wolf and i want an idea of how many of the ~4k calories that came out of that son of a bitch are actually usable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Numerically it's 375 for at least Jeremiah and Gray Mother, and in both cases the max reward is a pretty nice bonus. Gray Mother gives you some proper boots that are both faster and warmer than the hiking boots you're probably wearing up to that point.

Haifisch posted:

The only upside is that storymode vomits resources at you, so craftable gear doesn't seem quite as important.

Assuming it stays that way in later episodes, of course.

It's kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinda important, the other thing to note is that the weather in story mode seems a lot more likely to get bad and stay bad for multiple days at a time than it does in survival mode. I had 5 days where it was nothing but fog, blizzards, and heavy snow while hanging out in mystery lake, and the main reason I was able to keep going and thrive was because I spent so much time being conscientious about having rabbit mittens, getting GM's really warm shoes, keeping what I had in excellent repair, etc. There's a huge switch that gets flicked when you are able to ignore the cold and just walk around.

That said, it doesn't compare to a hard survival mode, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

does parasite risk still never go down at all? that was the dumbest thing to me when i saw it come up. yeah, sure, fine, i get that you need to nerf someone just cooking up loving 100kg of meat, boiling 100L of water, and then just laying around all day like a loving NPC. but come the hell on, unless i want to get some horrific disease i can only ever eat like one wolf ever? give me a break.