Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Biosys was a pretty cool game.

You were a scientist with amnesia trying to survive in the biodome he built on a remote mountain. There was some sort of accident involving biodome 4 which was being constructed as a tourist resort and was completely dead and polluted. You had to open this dome to the rest of the system and distribute the smog and pollution to the other domes without killing them so you could revitalize the systems and escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

H1Z1 is sort of barebones but you can actually build animal traps and dew collectors if you wanna play wilderness survival guy with a bow and makeshift tools. As with any zombie game the most dangerous enemy is other players.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Has anyone checked out Tharsis? Quill 18 did a playthrough on youtube and it looks decent, if a bit formulaic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I prefer Rust to the multitude of zombie shooters anyway. It has crossbows!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I played an hour preview of The Solus Project, which is as close to 'The Martian: the game' as you're going to get. Pretty fun, and I kinda want to play a bit more now. I was very aware my time was running out and didn't need that pressure as well as trying not to die. I might have to slap some money down for it.

I saw pictures on Reddit of some guy's 'first hour in Solus Project' and he seemed to get a hell of a lot further than I did.

I've heard about that game, is it anything like a proper survival game? I played Biosys years ago which was a Myst-like take on the old Robinson's Requiem games and I've been hankering for something like it since.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That is a sweet looking base holy crap. I'm gonna get back into this after the next update hits.

I'm really not sold on the mobile base thing though. I think the seamoth is good enough and I'd like more incentives to build real outposts in the unique locations instead.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So for the long dark I started up a sandbox game in Mystery Lake. I have a rifle, a hunting knife and a hatchet but my clothes suck pretty badly. Should I just try to sit tight, hunt some animals and make some proper gear? The clothes I have right now are pretty lovely but I'm running out of food and I'm not sure how the long term survival stuff works, this sapling I left on the floor takes 6 days to dry and I've only survived 4 so far.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I played Osiris a few months ago and it's pretty terribly padding out the gameplay by making you walk everywhere. Also as far as I can tell it's literally impossible to survive the early game without dying. You will succumb to thirst a few times before you get any kind of base going.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pathos posted:

How does The Forest compare to The Long Dark? For some reason my mental picture is that they’re basically interchangeable

I picked it up last night with a friend. It's not long dark levels of grog, survival is fairly easy once you figure out how to make a spear and can hit deer with it.

It's pretty scary though. We went cave diving and holy gently caress the things down there...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Qubee posted:

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is high on my recommendation list right now. Alpha 8 just came out and the game is heaps of fun. You can play solo or on PVE servers. They've nailed the grind mechanics, everything you unlock and craft feels rewarding because it's paced perfectly. Nowhere along the way will you get frustrated at how inane the grind is, needlessly difficult for the sake of it. Progression is smooth and you unlock stuff right when you feel it's ready. Progressing from a lovely bike to your first janky hover vehicle (HV) to explore the huge planets, and then dedicating time to making a more functional and visually pleasing HV with added harvesting tools (ore miner, wood cutter) lets you progress faster and wipes out a lot of the chore of the early game. It's fun manually mining and chopping, but after two hours, you want to focus on the more enjoyable aspects of the game, which this nails. You then work on your first small vehicle (SV), to travel faster and farther out, and attempt your first space voyages.

Definitely worth a look into. Visually, the game isn't anything special, but it's not too bad. The AI can be a bit dumb, but overall, I'm mad addicted to it.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, I checked it out again on your recommendation. Landed on the red mesa planet in single player and immediately the only option that seems open to me is to mine surface rocks to make ores to make my first drill. But with these numbers that alone is going to take hours and gently caress all that.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dead in Vinland is really cool and I’m planning to really delve into it this weekend. It does feel a bit slow sometimes though, especially the evening phase where you decide what people eat, how much water they get etc.

But the game really trained me out of my hoarding OCD that I’ve had since Baldurs Gate. Most things that can be used for a one off is best used RIGHT NOW.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

In older versions I’d make javelins and if my first throw missed I’d leave the animal alone. But if you get a good hit in its super easy to follow a wounded and bleeding animal.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been holding off on ONI, only playing it a few hours, but every update looks really good and I'm looking forward to trying it out again later.

I just installed Stationeers again because it also looks like it's gotten a bunch of great updates, so I'm going to mess around with its hydroponics.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ECO had a pretty shite skill system when I tried it out, I heard the system got updated recently but progression is still based on house quality and nutrition. The fact that every player needs their own house really messes with the environment as forests get clearcut super early.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What’s in these mods? I haven’t played in a while and that’d be a good way to make the game fresh again.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

My most basic criticism of Planet Crafter is that it's basically just a clicker idle game, without the clicking.

The core game is there and I think it has some cool ideas, I just think the game should be more about the exploration and region unlocks than placing down a bunch of machines and then twiddling your thumbs. The tiers of machines are a very basic problem, one tier 2 heater is worth something like 27 tier 1 heaters and a tier 3 is worth 180 or something like that. This means the game is mostly about tearing down old setups and replacing them with higher tier ones.

If instead the map had central points you install machinery on that then just works that would work better. I find an aquifer and set up a drill that I'm powering with a solar panel and it generates and maintains a lake in that basin. Later on I install an upgrade in the form of a night time battery so now it can maintain a larger lake. This rewards me for exploration and tapping and still gives me an incentive to return and tinker with it but I'm not spamming down 20 heaters in a garage that somehow heat the planet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I did like Below Zero but not as much as the first game. There's a bunch of obviously incomplete story leads, for example I completely ignored the frozen leviathan vaccine thing and never touched the penguin robots. The overland bits also loving suck.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Below Zero just has weird design choices in a lot of places. The snow scooter is useless, there's no utility to it at all whatsoever. But it could have been good if they'd covered the entire surface in a sheet of ice with holes to the sea here and there, making the snow scooter the fastest way to get around the map.

Instead the surface is tiny islands of ice spread over the surface of the water, most of them with nothing on them. All the points of interest are near the ocean edges and are actual land instead of glaciers.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

speaking of Valheim I'm really bummed it had such a strong initial EA release and then just ..........................................

My impression is that the Valheim devs fell prey to the usual EA success fallacy. They made a ton of money and started hiring a ton of people, then had to spend a year training those people and doing various admin related stuff which has culminated in not much at all being released. I'd say it's 50/50 if they release a huge content pack or fold up, but they've spent a ton of money and probably have already sold most of the copies they ever will.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It feels like more of a Rust type deal with the online aspect.

I played a bit this morning and it seems fun. There's character progression which is based on gear and V upgrades you get from certain bosses. You lose your inventory on death but retain your equipped gear, which seems to include your hotbar but I think if you play on the hardcore servers you also lose your gear on death. I built a wooden hovel in the starting forest and got invaded by two skull level players shortly after that wrecked the place and killed me, this seems par for the course in this type of game, with the newbie zone hopelessly overrun. Hopefully they increase the size of the starting zone to account for it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Get on a horse, they'll keep up.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Two hour timer servant missions are probably the most efficient way to get scourge stones out of the church of the damned. Eventually you hit a sweet spot where you don't really need more since darksilver actually has very limited uses after you make your first weapon and the anvil. It's not used in the high tier armor or amulets at all.

You can also get a bunch out of the two abandoned villages in the cursed forest, but they'll be contested quite often in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Pacific Drive but it's taking your sub into the abyss in Subnautica.