Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
It's been mentioned in this thread before, but I had my eye on Vintage Story for a while so I just picked it up last week. After about 10 hours in it I like it more than I though I would.

I tried TerrafirmaCraft years ago and found it tedious to the point of joylessness. VS seems to hit a better balance between realism and fun. The act of crafting and surviving is the gameplay loop, compared to Vanilla Minecraft where survival is usually sorted after the first night and crafting is simple enough where you can make things quickly and get on with building/exploring. It's not a matter of one being better than the other, just different approaches to a very VERY similar idea.

I'm about to encounter my first Temporal Storm so who knows how well I'll survive that. It's the last big early game hurdle that I'm actually worried about, so if I make it out the other side I expect I'll keep playing this for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senrab
May 10, 2012
Co-operation is really tempting in a game like this just because of how much needs to be done in a typical day compared to how long the day actually lasts.

The drifters themselves haven't been too bad so far. I even found a bronze sword while exploring so I'm slightly better equipped than I should be at my current tech level. I haven't had issues of them spawning during the day outside of ones that pop out of the occasional rift. I wish there were a way to break those, I've been getting a lot on top of my base.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
I don't know enough about the worldgen/spawn systems in VS yet but one thing I learned before I started playing was that wolves spawn in forests and are extremely dangerous, and as such forests should be avoided unless you're well geared.

I went through a couple of false starts deleting worlds until I found one with a spawn I considered relatively safe. Got mauled by a bear on my first attempt, my second I got killed by drifters because I didn't get set up in time for night. Third time was the charm, as it turns out the old minecraft strategy of digging a hole in the wall at night is still sound.

So I'm not sure. Maybe I got real lucky with my third seed? I spawned in plains and stayed out of the forests. 10 hours in and I still only poke my head into them cautiously.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
I haven't made many armors yet but a lot of them seem to be repairable now? Maybe things have changed.

I survived the Temporal Storm, even though I was starving at the time. I've got another one coming but I am less concerned now. I am fully into metalworking, and have started preserving food as it is now mid August.

I've been playing close to 20 hours and I only just now found a small patch of Medium Fertility soil, so my farming has been really really bad up until now. Hopefully I have enough time to grow some stuff. I also haven't found a single beehive which is disappointing.

I did dig a pit for some boar that I am now farming. I've got like 3 pregnant sows so I'm expecting a porksplosion soon.

Senrab
May 10, 2012

TeaJay posted:

Did you start from the desert or something, that stuff is usually everywhere.

If you want the really good stuff though, you must find Terra preta, like mentioned. It's like a darker peat. I endorse a mod that makes it easier to see by adding some particles (and then you'll be wondering how you missed it before)

I'm surrounded by a few sandy/gravely areas but I wouldn't call it a desert? I'm not really sure. Temperatures seem warm but it is August. There's just low-fertility soil everywhere. Finding medium felt like a needle in a haystack.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
It's so weird. I've got forest and plains everywhere interspersed with fields of gravel and sand. And all of it, save for that one patch, is low-fertility. The distribution of biomes seems weird to me, but I've managed. If I could just find some drat bees it'd make it a lot easier to make my food supplies last longer.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
I have indeed reached the point of making barrels and chests and other forms of woodworking, I just don't have any salt yet.

I am aware of fat working to seal crocks but I haven't collected a lot of that yet either. That's about to change now that I've got a pig pen and a bow for hunting. :getin:

Senrab
May 10, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

The larger issue is that you need certain items to stabilize the world to stop the storm, but they can be hard to find and expensive to purchase. I think I'd be more into them if they came and went but there's been some runs where the storms were basically "well I guess this is how things are now unless I get some lucky drops"

I thought storms only lasted for a few in-game hours? I wasn't aware there was something you needed to do to stop them.

Senrab
May 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Been watching this guy's videos while doing other stuff and I just don't get his weird obsession with avoiding bears. He acts like they're waiting around every bush to tear his face off. I've never had that much trouble with them, nor do I encounter them nearly as often as he seems to worry about them.

RNG will be RNG I guess, maybe, but drat does he fret about them a lot. Good watching otherwise though.

I've had a similar experience, a playthrough I watched featured a player who was unusually scared of wolves, so much so that he spent his entire playthrough afraid of them and even made a big deal of him finally killing one at the end. Like it was a bossfight or something. Idk, I played super cautiously and I usually run from wolves, but I finally fought one head-on recently and while it was clearly dangerous I managed to do enough damage to make it run away.

Since this is my first playthrough I am playing on what I would call vanilla settings I guess, I have drifter spawns on and Temporal storms and so far it hasn't been bad. I like having to occasionally kill or avoid stuff. Granted I'm sure the storms will get old so in a future playthrough I'd consider turning them off, but for the time being I'm judging the game by whatever the "standard" experience is.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
It's mid-October in my Vintage Story world and I think I'm actually pretty well stocked for winter. I've since had a medium Temporal Storm which wasn't much to talk about. I think I see why people play with them off. They're too easy to cheese and effectively put a big pause on your game for 10 minutes. Hopefully they become more fun in the future.

I've also finally found bees! No idea if I'll get them to swarm by winter but I've set up a skep near the hive. Here's hoping.

Senrab
May 10, 2012
I've just been playing as Commoner, wasn't sure what to expect so I didn't want to mess with negative traits.

It is now late November in my world which means winter has set in. I'm doing much better in terms of my food supplies than I thought I would. I went a little excessive with my prep making meals to store in crocks, and now I have years worth of sealed food and plenty of fresh food to cook with in the short term. It didn't occur to me that winter temperatures would keep uncooked food from spoiling for so long! I thought I was going to need meals.

I've found tons of Bismuth so far but no sphalerite yet. I've only just gotten the hang of the ProPick so I've got a few traces discovered that I'm going to investigate soon. To that end, I've been playing on vanilla settings but I finally installed my first mod: ProspectorInfo. I HIGHLY recommend this one, it saves prospecting results right on your map automatically, and they only show while you are holding a ProPick so it helps reduce map clutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senrab
May 10, 2012
To elaborate on the Pax Dei stuff, it plays like a combination of Valheim and Wurm Online. Crafting recipes are unlocked automatically by picking up the requisite materials. The UI needs a lot of work right now because the sheer quantity of things unlocked by certain early ingredients fills up the screen to the point of being overwhelming.

The success rate of crafting depends on your skill level with that particular style of crafting. The higher your skill, the better your chances of successfully crafting the item, but the less crafting xp you get. Some items are beyond your ability to craft even if you have unlocked the recipe from having the needed items. Eventually a recipe becomes "Trivial" and then "Mastered", which I assume means you can no longer fail. Failing a craft doesn't always consume the ingredients, but sometimes for some reason it drops them on the ground instead of returning them to your inventory, which is annoying because the models for dropped items are very small and hard to see.

The implications of this system are that you'll have to sit and grind through lower level crafts to skill up enough for higher level ones. So far in the alpha I haven't had to do that much yet, but the idea that it could happen sucks.

They justify this with the promise that in a fully released game, all of those low level planks and pegs and studs will still be needed regularly for other, fancier crafts in the so-called player driven economy, but obviously none of that is being displayed in this test.

I dont know, I thought games like this evolved past RNG failed crafting, but I'm also not sure how that fits into their long term plans.