Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So is this basically The Long Dark thread since we don't have a designated one?

Anyway yeah, fennesz with bears they aren't anywhere near as aggressive as wolves are, and if you get near enough to one it'll turn towards you and slooowwly start to plod over to you. They don't actually start to charge until they're right up in your face or until you've shot them at least once. It gives you plenty of time to very carefully line up a shot to the forehead which drops them in one hit. Make sure you're not getting cold when you start to cut into them because it can take the better part of a day to harvest everything, they usually drop like 30 kgs of meat.

Don't even bother trying to kill them with the bow, I've never seen that work well enough.

Edit: also, when you're using the bow one hit to anywhere on the body will eventually kill a wolf, it just takes time so you've got to track them by the blood trail after they run off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

fennesz posted:

Looks like it.

I certainly know all of that about bears and wolves and my issue is most definitely with fuel and not hunting. Do branches/sticks/fallen limbs respawn as time goes on? I feel like they probably should as it'd be weird to be unable to gather any wood in a heavily wooded forest.

I was wondering the same thing and went looking through the thread dedicated to the update on steam forums. Found this:

quote:

For outdoor fuel -- there are four types of harvestable items now. They all respawn over time, but at different rates. Likely you will have to move around the world in order to continue harvesting, depending on the density of the spawns and the type of fuel they spawn:

* Sticks (free to harvest, low-value for heat and fire duration; respawn most quickly)
* Branches (can break by hand but takes time/calories; gives you 2 sticks)
* Softwood Limb (need a hatchet to harvest these; produces Softwood (same fuel as before)
* Hardwood Limb (same as above but produces Hardwood)
Do surviving on one map's wood stock would be very hard, especially since presumably the wood re spawns all over and you'd have to waste loads of time crisscrossing the map to find it as it red pawns.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I started a new game after dying of hypothermia and it started me inside the Hunter's Homestead, which included a rifle and ammo. Gotta make good use of this!
On the first game I started after the last update I started out in the Pleasant Valley farmhouse, found a rifle at 99% and two boxes of ammunition. After about 30 minutes of searching 3 of the other major spots in PV I had 17 more rounds :getin:

Then I I misjudged a headshot on a bear, he tore me new one before I could hit him again, and I bled out about 10 meters from the farmhouse where i had more than enough medical supplies :colbert:

Anyone know how effective torches are at keeping wolves back? I've only bothered to try 2-3 times and it's failed every time, even when brandishing it constantly but now that you can just grab one from any fire I might want to use them more.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 10, 2015

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

It's pretty inadvisable to carry the rifle 24/7. You really want to carry the bow if you need something for defense, it takes some practice to master but a bow and 2-3 arrows weighs about 1/4th of the rifle and each of the arrows can be reused easily half a dozen times so long as you're careful to retrieve them. Save the rifle and ammo for when you're going out solely to hunt deer or bears.

In other news I had a very successful 30 day run suddenly cut short when I made a campfire a bit too close to my feet and burned to death the instant it was lit :v:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

fennesz posted:

They are random. The only spawn in a total of like 4 or 5 locations in the entire game out of...uh, a lot.

More than that but yeah, they are pretty uncommon. You really only need like 2-3 maple saplings to set you up with bows for a very, very long time though. Birch saplings on the other hand, you're gonna want loads of those.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

meatsaw posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313120/

Not going to testify to how good/bad it is because I haven't played it (and you can see the reviews). But it's there.
I've played quite a bit of Stranded Deep, both when it first came out and recently. Can't really recommend it at the moment. You might get 4-6 hours of entertainment out of it as a first time player but the long term survival gets pretty anemic pretty quickly and your character has a cripplingly small amount of inventory space which gets frustrating real quick. It has a lot of potential and it looks gorgeous, but yeah, I'd give it at least another year of development time before I recommend putting money into it.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

beats for junkies posted:

I played a bit of the Faithful Cartographer test branch, and I liked most of it. The only issue I had was that indoor areas seemed to be too dark, but it seemed to be a pretty common complaint so hopefully it's been fixed for the live version. You can make maps with charcoal (that you get from fires after they go out), but you need to be outside and have clear visibility. The quick-menu now has food and drink options (yay!). I think having hands is new, too. WINTERMUTE is still a dumb name for a wilderness survival game to use, no matter how much snow the game has. I mean, SNOWCRASH would have at least been more appropriate to the pilot guy's story.

Also, Empyrion: Galactic Survival got a big update today, too. It's more of a building/crafting game with spaceships, but there are some survival elements (you need to manage your food, water, oxygen, and now temperature). It's very similar to 7 Days to Die, only instead of post-apoc zombies, it's aliens and spacemans. You can make your own bases and vehicles (there are also some prefabs included in the game to get you started, or you can download blueprints from the steam workshop), and eventually you'll want/need to leave the planet to get more and better stuff, especially if you play online. I think there is/was a thread for it but it kinda died out a while back, probably because people were waiting for this big update. Also, warning: early access, but the devs have been pretty solid with updating and improving the game so far. They don't have a 1.0 release date yet, but the game is very playable at the moment.

Empyrion is more similar to a combat/vehicle oriented minecraft, than a flat out survival sim. Food and oxygen are easy to come by, but materials for making a kickass spaceship? You'll need to work for those.
That's not to say the game's bad. I've gotten plenty of fun out of it. It's just not much of a survival game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

dylguy90 posted:

Meanwhile, Subnautica got a new sub damage model

That no one (with half a brain) asked for.