Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If anyone prefers their survival games on the go, Survivalcraft is where it's at. By far one of the best Minecraft-esque games on mobile, outclassing even the official Minecraft app. Updates fairly regularly and introduces new gameplay elements fairly often - latest update was just a few months ago and adds clothing of different types and ambient temperature. Surviving early game feels just about the right amount of challenging, neither unfairly difficult nor trivially easy, and late-game there's a surprisingly in-depth electronics system to mess about with. Can't post screenshots at the moment or I'd do a proper write-up on it, but everyone should give it a try - it's available on iOS and Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
You can adjust the zombie/monster frequency in the menu, but frankly the survival part by itself doesn't really carry the game. Once you know what to do it's fairly trivial to set up a self-sustaining base and survive pretty mich indefinitely.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you have a tablet/phone and don't mind playing games on it, check out Day R: Survival. It's a semi-text based survival game in post-apoc Russia, and some people in the iOS/Android threads have been really enjoying it. There's a free version and a premium version that adds a few more features, but the free version is pretty fully fleshed out if you just want to try it out.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 18, 2019

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It's a slow period at work and there's not a lot of people in the office, so I have a lot of free time. What's a relatively light, preferably turn-based survival game I can hop in and out of relatively quickly? My usual go-to games for that are Unreal World and Cataclysm DDA/BN, but I've been playing those on and off for years and I've gotten a little bored of them.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Still looking for recommendations for light turn-based survival games if anyone has any. Already beat Neo Scavenger a couple of times, and I tried the Card Survival thing someone recommended but couldn't get over the terrible UI.

Also, anything notable worth picking up in the current Steam sale? The Survival tag mingling with 'Survival Horror' is making it hard to browse the list.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

The worst part of every survival game tends to be the combat so I doubt you could wind up with something worse.

It would take a pretty creative setting to explain the mechanics, but what if you had a survival game that was sort of like Cult of the Lamb? Combat and exploration happened in random, instanced areas where it could be tuned up, then you return to your home base with a bulging backpack of supplies to build up, create infrastructure, make new equipment, that sorta stuff. I think it could work.

You could probably do this with a mod of Liberal Crime Squad, that's already pretty much halfway there.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I've never really bothered with the pipe guns, you can find enough pistols and shotguns dropped by zombies/lying around in houses that you never really need to go for the interstitial measure. It's rare that you'll have an excess of ammo and no guns to use it with unless you've robbed a gun store, and in that case you definitely have guns. And yes, you'll want to work up to guns for tougher enemies eventually.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Wayward apparently just got a big update. Has anyone tried it since then? I remember playing it back in the day when it was a browser game, but it never really hooked me.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

How's Don't Starve these days? I haven't played it in 5 years (jesus christ) but saw they put out an update for it recently. Has there been a bunch of changes/additions or is it largely the same with some updates?

Do you mean Don’t Starve Together or Don’t Starve? Regular Don’t Starve is pretty much the same, not much has changed since the last two big expansions which added entirely new worlds. They’re working on a beta which may eventually result in backporting some of the DST changes, but no word on that yet, just QoL changes for now.

Don’t Starve Together has been constantly updated and pretty much all the characters have been substantially reworked, on top of many of the basic game mechanics. It’s certainly a lot more involved than the standard single-player game, but respawning is also easier so it largely balances out.

If you’re looking at the character reworks on the wiki, most of them are for Don’t Starve Together, none that I can think of have made it back to the single-player Don’t Starve yet.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The main reason you might want single-player Don’t Starve is for the Shipwrecked and Hamlet DLCs, which add two new worlds (a tropical island-filled sea and a rainforest jungle/pig civilization) that you can jump between once you build the requisite item. Don’t Starve Together doesn’t have those settings or all the new content from them, though it has its own unique areas to make up for it.

Also I guess if you don’t care for the new systems or character reworks, regular Don’t Starve is an option. I personally go back to plain Don’t Starve more than DST, though that may change if I ever find a regular group for DST.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 1, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think the main reason why I go back to regular Don’t Starve more often than DST is Shipwrecked. I live on a tropical island, so having an entire world dedicated to that setting makes it feel much more homey compared to the cold New England woods, which I have no personal connection to at all.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Don’t Starve Together also goes on sale at fairly cheap prices often enough, so I don’t really mind, I feel like they’re plenty generous with its price since they make more out of the completely optional cosmetics. I think it’s an odd decision but I don’t get why people are calling it “hostile”.

Speaking of which, there’s a major Don’t Starve sale going on at the moment for all platforms, until the 5th of May. Don’t Starve Together is about a dollar, and the base game + DLCs are also majorly discounted. As mentioned, I’m still a fan of the base game (with the DLCs, admittedly) and prefer it to DST in some aspects, but if you’re completely new the best deal would probably be picking up DST now, since you can play it solo too.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 2, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Picked up Card Survival for iOS now that I can play it on my tablet. Enjoying it, but it is a bit overwhelming. What’s a good plan for a Hunter start, and any notable early-game traps to avoid?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
After a few runs where I just flailed around not accomplishing much, I think I've got a decent Hunter run going in Card Survival. Got a Mud Hut up in the Jungle by Day 14 (probably not the best location for it, but the most convenient one that wasn't the Bay). Been sustaining myself by spear-fishing, bananas and coconuts, and the occasional small game, and in between everything I've got a fairly decent rotation of foods to stave off nausea. Now that I've got a hut up I'm probably going to try to explore further, as well as getting a loom and kiln up, and maybe try to get an enclosure and farm plot up once my Herbology is good enough for that.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I may have screwed myself over with that one, first proper dry season is starting on day 61 and I don’t have that much in water reserves and only a couple of jars. I have a water reservoir and a water filter for purifying unsafe water, but I don’t know how long the unsafe puddles are going to hold out. I’ll just try to get a couple more jars up and see how long I can hold out.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Started another run now that I've gotten the hang of things. Rainy season has started in earnest and I'm trying not to repeat the mistake of last time. What's a good setup for long-term water storage during the dry season? I can make a ton of those tiny sealed clay jars but those hold so little water, there has to be a more efficient way.

Also set up a few farm plots but I fear it might be wasted effort, they're building up fungal infection fast during the storms and I don't have enough Herbology for brimstone pesticide. Harvesting everything I can to build it up but it might be a little too late to turn things around.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Nah I'm pretty good on food, alternating between coconut fish soup and chicken sandwiches for major meals and miscellaneous veggies/fruit for filler in between that. Have a backup stash of sago flour, coconuts and mollusks in case I need emergency food for any reason, was just hoping to get a few of my own chili plants up since they're an important component of quite a few meals and you can dry them to preserve them indefinitely.

Looking up the requirements for the cistern and oof, this is probably going to be a season-long project, but if getting just a single one up helps alleviate the dry season then I guess it's worth a shot. Just hope there isn't anything else I should be prioritizing.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Actually, what sort of medical supplies should I be stockpiling? Came across a whole lot of generally medicinal plants but it's hard to tell exactly what is good for what thing. So far the worst I've had to deal with was macaque bites which can be dealt with fairly easily with a leaf bandage and regular washing. The Hunter seems to be immune or resistant to a lot of things but I figure it's worth getting the hang of before the next character.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Day 72 of the run, well into Dry Season by now. I feel like I'm ahead of the curve on water, but only just barely and I don't think I can afford anything particularly water-intensive like a farm plot. Didn't work on a cistern in the end, but I have a solar still set up on the bay, the puddle of unsafe water in the Wetlands cave, and a few glazed jars and tiny jars as an emergency supply. On the plus side, all my chili plants grew so I don't have to worry about those anymore and I have a good stash of emergency food near my base now. Trying to work on getting some nice furniture and expanding my base, given that it's too hot to do most outdoor work for prolonged periods.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
First proper Card Survival run ended on Day 152, put up a little home sign and resigned myself to a quiet but lonely life on the island. Could have continued on, but isolation was becoming an issue and I didn't feel like slogging through another Dry Season, even with a cistern and well up to alleviate water concerns.

Next run will probably still be a Hunter run, don't feel like taking the training wheels off quite yet and there's still a bunch of stuff I haven't done. Never got into trapping or animal keeping, and I never did get around to confronting my destiny.

Incidentally, how does metalworking work anyway? All my copper knives seem to fall apart in the forge back to their component copper. Is it just going to keep doing that till my metalworking is high enough?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Ah, I'm an idiot, was reforging and melting down the same copper knife over and over again when I should have just taken it out. Thanks.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Started a second Card Survival run, decided to go for the raft ending, think I mucked it up though. About 30% of the way through the trip and I just lost pretty much everything that wasn't in my two supply chests to a couple of big waves in the storm, so that's all my water containers, my fire pit, and a good chunk of my food gone. I'll keep at it to see how far I can go but I doubt this trip is reaching its end.

Haven't found either ending to be particularly satisfying, really. Home ending is fairly trivial (it's pretty easy to cheese comfort with jasmine candles) and while the raft ending is a fun endgame quest (what with all the lead up you have to do to unlock it, plus all the work you have to put in to build it) the trip back to civilization is completely unlike anything previous and seems to be mostly up to RNG.

Still a fun game, will probably take a break for a bit and then try again, maybe with a different character this time because Hunter starts are getting fairly trivial, might be time to move on to something more challenging.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Hunter has fairly easy access to a shovel, their high starting swimming skill means they have a decent chance of making it to Bird Rock once it's discovered, where they can loot the shipwreck for its goodies, including up to five pieces of scrap metal. Two scrap and some other stuff makes one scrap shovel, which has enough durability to complete the digging portions of a cistern + well + some other tasks.

But yeah, that's another point in a whole lot of the difficulty of this game simply being dependent on knowing where to find materials, and what to aim for with regards to long-term survivability. And yes the interface and card management is horrendous, I won't deny, it's a testament to how strong the underlying game is that I still pick up the game from time to time despite all that.

Trivia posted:

Yeah my first run with Hunter ended when the drought hit, I just wasn't ready and didn't know about making clay from mud.

My second longer run stopped when I acted stupidly and died from overheating. Don't run around in leather poo poo unless you're specifically hunting, I guess.

Finding a good location for a base is pretty key. Originally I went with the bay but the storms were p bad. Tried again in grasslands but lizards run into sheds and their bites are a massive water tax (to avoid infection).

Great game but I'd like to know the numbers behind the scenes a bit more. Or, at least give me an idea of what things do or lead to tech-wise. I look at an item and won't make it if it doesn't look useful.

The Drought is probably the run-ender for most new players, it's utterly miserable even when you're very prepared for it. In my last run, I spent almost the entirety of the first temperate + dry season rushing out two cisterns and a well just so I wouldn't have to worry about water throughout the entirety of dry season, and even then I was starting to run low by the end of it (though external sources would have settled that without too much issue).

For the Hunter, I like going with the Jungle as a base. You're right next to the Beach for fishing and sand, next to the Wetlands for easy access to mud, and the Jungle itself gives you easy access to wood and helpful plants. There's a few bugs but it's not as overwhelming as the Wetlands, and you're slightly resistant to them as the Hunter.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 5, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Some generally useful tech tree stuff off the top of my head (you may already know some of this, but can't hurt):

- Having a Shovel of any kind unlocks the Cistern, Well and Cellar. The cellar is optional, but the Cistern and Well are very useful to have for dry season, though it'll need a lot more work than just the shovel.

- Digging up mud from the wetland puddles or mangrove and forming it into a Mud Brick by mixing it with temper (easiest source of this is usually sand) unlocks the Kiln, which in turn unlocks a whole lot of Clay recipes (which you also get by processing mud).

- In particular, the Cooking Pot is required for (and unlocks) a whole lot of advanced cooking recipes, and the Clay Vase unlocks more advanced clay recipes, but also the Water Reservoir, which in turn unlocks Salt Beds once built. Having a couple of those makes it easier to obtain Salt in high quantities, allowing for easy meat preservation and a couple of more advanced clay recipes.

- Cutting down a tree and/or processing a fallen tree to turn it into a log unlocks the Mud Hut, which I usually beeline for right away without bothering with the Shed. It's not that much more tedious to build, and allows for more improvements.

- Weaving two palm leaves together forms a Palm Weave, which unlocks the Woven Basket. Successfully completing one unlocks the Woven Hat, which helps protect you from the sun during Dry Season. You can also turn it into a woven backpack by just adding a rope to it, instead of researching the actual recipe.

- Heating up stones/large stones in the kiln turns them into Burnt Stones which can be broken up into piles of Quicklime, which is used for glue and mortar, the latter of which is important for some advanced construction recipes.

- Getting Copper Ore from scavenging/digging out the caves/breaking a geode unlocks the Forge, and melting the copper ore with it into copper unlocks the recipes for copper tools. Those are a massive time-saver because when they run out of durability, you can just sharpen the copper part with a stone and reassemble them.

- Crafting a hook with bird bones unlocks the recipe for the Fishing Line, though if you're a Hunter it's probably not particularly worth grinding your Fishing skill up when you can just spearfish instead.

- Grinding your cooking skill up lets you make Coconut Milk, which can be boiled to make Oil, which is a useful component in a lot of other cooking recipes and also lets you make torches.

- Finding the Secret Valley and getting Rice there lets you grow Rice Paddies, which are tremendously efficient and require almost no maintenance, though it's best to set them up during Wet Season to keep them watered.

- Finding the Beehive card in the deep jungle lets you build your own, and successfully doing so lets you build more bee-related tools to safely handle them. It's best if you've grown a few flower fields for maximum honey production beforehand, though.

- Getting the Plastic Sheet from the shipwreck unlocks two very useful recipes: the Raincoat, which protects you from the rain and sun, and the Solar Still, which slowly gathers water from palm fronds. Anything that uses the Plastic Sheet can be disassembled at any time to retrieve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

redreader posted:

There's a mod for dst that alters monster hp according to the number of players.

Dst is dst, it has some stuff not in the base game, yes. Not a whole lot though imo. I have played dst with my friends regularly for like ten years at this point.

Don't starve with reign of the Giants has stuff like adventure mode and glommer that are not in dst. You can also find all of the bits of the machine and transmigrate to a new world. There's more stuff in the caves in don't starve that is not in dst.

You can also move to Hamlet or shipwrecked worlds in single player. I wouldn't consider that much of a benefit though, shipwrecked is bullshit hard. Hamlet is ok but I never got into it.

I'd do single player don't starve with reign of the Giants.

I don't really think Shipwrecked is that hard (though I might be biased because I love a good tropical island setting), but if you're moving between worlds then a lot of the difficulty is further alleviated because it solves the two main problems you face right there: you can avoid the general resource scarcity of the early game by looting the other worlds, and avoid the volcano eruptions by just staying in another world during the entirety of Dry season.