Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BrianRx posted:

Anyone know if there are plans to improve the player model? I thought it was just a placeholder, because yikes...

He looks like the main character from Firewatch and I choose to think that they are the same person, where TLD is him after he gets back with his wife and then breaks up again to fly plans for a living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

While I like the single player of TLD I do agree that they could have moved things along a lot faster.

Like, for the old lady. Having you search the town and learn how to smash things up for wood is good and fun, and it's okay for you to be taking a few days to do it. But when you start collecting food you are practically eating half of what you find just to stay alive as you trudge back and forth. Cutting the amount necessary to a third of what it is would be good, but what is done is done.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I never had issue with the lack of a jump button in TLD until I fell between a railing and a wall and now am slowly starving to death.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Since the thread for it seems to be dead, quick question about Neo Scavenger: what is the best way to put things on straps over your shoulder? There doesn't seem to be any way to drag and drop, which is what I normally do. Best case seems to be having both hands full then "taking" it, which then defaults to your shoulder.

Game surprisingly good btw. I love "common sense" crafting systems

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mayveena posted:

I have to say that my experience with ONI was not like that at all. I just hit 900 hours yesterday. I’m not very good at the game but I just keep puttering along. I got very frustrated with Factorio because my stuff was always a big mess and I hated that.

One of ONI's problems is that it is wildly inefficient to reorganize your base once you get better tech, so your colony tends to be stitched together with band-aids and twine. You really have to have a full understanding of the tech tree from the start to make a halfway functioning base that doesn't die from oxygen/power loss or heat exhaustion.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

Someone who played more than a little of both unlike me, how is ONI comparable to Rimworld?

Totally different. ONI's problems tend to be internal rather than Rimworld's primarily external, random problems. It would be closer to something like Banished on a super high level, but the gas and liquid flow mechanics kind of put it on it's own level.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

People here not knowing the true bus survival game, Desert Bus

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TLD also has strong themes of isolation, having to move not for plot reasons but just to survive, slowly dismantling the remnants of society as you get increasingly desparate for any form of sustenance, and the true danger being the environment itself. All of which are totally ignored in the story mode since you visit each location once, steal all the wood and beans, and then move on to the next area.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bhodi posted:

(you cook in a pot or empty can, you can do other stuff while water boils / food cooks)

Sweet christ yes. There was no bigger waste of time than sitting there, staring at a pot of boiling water when you could be gathering more wood.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

What do people do when they reach the "hunker dowm" section? Just Pass Time? I feel compelled to keep wandering around getting wood when I'm waiting for things to dry despite the fact that I am well stocked on everything I would need for several days.

Ended up biting me in the rear end because I was overzealous and didn't ensure my infection from hunting a wolf I didn't need to kill was cured before going to bed. RIP that well stocked run

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Has anyone played Fishing: Barents Sea? it's currently on sale on steam

Can you walk around on your ship? Do you have to process every fish yourself in that minigame, or are there upgrades that make that automated?

Is that a survival game? I thought it was just a commercial fishing simulator

VVV all good, I was hoping that it was a survival game because a fishing-focused one would be kind of cool

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 26, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

dogstile posted:

I mean that basically means don't get beat up by dogs/spiders/cannibals

Also being enslaved in that game is basically just ninja training camp, so when I hear people immediately reloading upon being enslaved I'm always going "whyyyyyy"

Imo that is part of a reason why the game is so hardmode in the start, because it gets its Rpg threat chart completely backwards compared to the norm.

Men with giant clubs: Stat city

A single Australian spider: sure hope you had a quicksave because they literally just ate you

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

Valheim's success comes in being a game first and a survival simulator second, which a lot of survival games get in the wrong order.

I wouldn't even say the latter, yes you can eat food for big bonuses but there is little pressure to actually do it. The largest part of the game is a combination of just building houses and wandering around in the forest to fill out the map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

PiCroft posted:

The closest I can think of is Barotrauma, which in certain respects is a survival sim, but I hear its MP community is... not the best for people wanting to just play the way the game apparently is supposed to be played.

Like it has some really neat and creepy Subnautica-esque visuals andd concepts but unless you have a team of buddies to play with the AI is singularly unreliable and the public servers are not for the faint of heart.

Yeah barotrauma is a submarine version of Space Ship 13, which means that sabotage is the name of the game for some of the players, and it is designed to be played with that in mind.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Verviticus posted:

the pvp/pve debate cant really ever be truly fixed because the most fun you can have in a dedicated pvp game (or pve game with pvp) is just stomping all over people who do not want to pvp (diablo 2, ultima online, goofballs that think rust is friendly), and the best games are the one that have created a loop of pve that is fun and empowering enough that the latter people enjoy the process, can at least put a fight when they have to, or its rare enough that they spend enough time between incidents that they dont want to quit

I don't even think it is a matter of "most fun", because there is a lot of fun in beating a fully armed player to death with rocks when you can get away with it. It's more that gear is often rare enough that the only way to enjoy it is when there is little chance of it being taken away from you, which means that fair fights are completely out the window.

Not to mention the social aspect of it is key. Sure something like most modern shooters means sniping someone from ten thousand feet away, but if you look at something like Sea of Thieves or Runescape's PVP wilderness then tricking gullible players into letting you kill them is half the fight.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

packetmantis posted:

Have you considered not getting your enjoyment from making other people miserable?

That's a selection bias though. You don't play griefing games if you don't enjoy grinding. You aren't going to find a lot of folks playing Rust for the sake of the building mechanics, unless you are one of those reddit servers where conflict is banned unless you're personal friends with the mods

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

packetmantis posted:

I play these games because I like building and exploring and I loving hate griefers, thanks.

I mean, you can, but you would be far better served playing any other game than something like Rust if you want to do that, because the game was built from the ground up around combat and destroying buildings. There are plenty of actual survival games with base building mechanics in this very thread, that is the pount.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

packetmantis posted:

Isn't SCUM the one that had the Nazi tattoos? :thunk:

Wow, I thought it was one of those things where they accidentally used something that looked like the Totenkopf but they literally had "1488" tats in the supporter pack.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/8/31/17805254/scum-nazi-imagery-14-88-iron-cross-removed

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ambaire posted:

If the base helped you progress through an area of the game, it wasn't pointless. Even if you never visit it again, it still contributed to your overall experience.

While that is true, I think more their point is that there is rarely a reason to make anything more than a tiny shack wherever you go, which leaves most of the base building system on the floor as unnecessary.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ambaire posted:

What about the reason of "It looks cool"? Sure, some enjoy speedrunning games and progressing as fast as possible, but some others enjoy making stuff look 'nice'. As I'm not very creative, I greatly enjoy seeing the creative works of others. Some of those Subnautica bases are utterly amazing.

Sure, but like most minecraft megaprojects they look amazing but you aren't seeing the 20 hours of resource gathering that went into making them. Everyone plays these games their own way, it's just that building elaborate bases in a genre whose sole defining trait is making it hard to build things is a huge amount of time investment, especially when the design of the game encourages you to be nomadic.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Most of the criticism I've heard about Subnautica 2 is that S1 had a plot that was definitely there but was a light touch and let you kind of discover it while you did other stuff, while S2 has PLOT

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Twenty Four posted:

I haven't played TLD but it would make sense if there are no gear respawns (who is restocking this stuff out there?) then items should not degrade at an unrealistic pace either. I have clothes nearly a decade old that could still be described as in "fair condition" I guess. Maybe only a very slight chance to tear a hole in your shirt or break your axe or something turning them to poor condition would make more sense? But to be fair to no respawns, it makes sense that my personal outdoors gear doesn't turn to rags just from walking around outside for a couple weeks or whatever.

Have it one way or the other I guess is what I am saying.

The thing with the The Long Dark is that it is specifically a game *about* decay, that is baked into the foundation of the design. Yes there are ways to get around almost anything, but those things are always consuming resources, which you have a limited number of. You're playing knowing that death is truly inevitable and basically just stalling for time until the clocks runs out in some snow bank because you ran out of matches. As a result degradation of tools and clothes has to be really rapid, because otherwise you end up with the Project Zomboid issue where there is little scarcity for supplies unless you put 30 hours into a map.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Azhais posted:

Far too many survival games are like that.

It would be nice if higher firestarter skills allowed for making bowdrills and such

Imo techniques like that are grossly overhyped. I've tried doing that kind of stuff as part of a survival course and it requires a ton of effort and just the right conditions to do. Some random marketing manager that gets shipwrecked isn't going to be able to do it in any realistic span of time just based off what he saw in a movie.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i bought project zomboid but i am having a very hard time surviving even a single day. it seems like once the zombies spot you there's no escaping them.

You can climb out windows by (iirc) holding down the interaction button, so if you get noticed by zeds you can run into a house and jump out a side window where they can't see you.

Alternatively you can take out single zombies pretty handily with most melee weapons, you just need to get used to hitting zeds and using the stagger to step back a few feet, and kite them out of bite range

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I honestly cannot believe that Seven Days to Die is still getting major content patches. I fully thought it went the way of all those open world zombie scavenger games (who even remembers something like Nether) and was just abandoned entirely, but nope they are still going strong. Respect.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

I thought Medieval Dynasty was more about going out in the woods and starting from scratch like most survival games, didn't realize there'd be so much going back and forth between existing villages.

The funny thing is that it's basically just like how "I'm going to move to the woods and live off the land" worked irl.

Oh, maw, paw, and little Gebedia are moving out west. Gonna homestead, live off the land, all on our own. Well, maybe we'll sell some of our lumber to buy tools. Aw, Gebedia got sick, better get a doctor. Oh no, there are bandits around! Maybe we should live a bit closer to our neighbors. And then you get a village.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BrianRx posted:

Why are they still putting money into the game? People loved sandbox mode and hated the story, so aside from maybe making some new areas, what's the point?

Wasn't the game at least partially funded by a grant from the Canadian government? Perhaps there's some stipulations on development that they have to keep development going.

Personally I don't find the story mode too egregious. This is a game about traveling around collecting resources. It's no surprise that the story mode mostly focuses around going places and getting things, that is the primary gameplay loop.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Is Grounded fairly close to feature complete at this point, or is it still really EA with limited questline?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Murderbears "bug" isn't really an individual bug so much as an indication of how poorly the game was playtested. If the first quest is poorly designed, and that "bug" happens to everyone, then it's impossible that the developers didn't realize it was a problem. If they had played their own game for an hour it would be apparent to them. So either they didn't think it was an issue, which given the feedback is a hard sell, or they just didn't give enough of a poo poo to fix it before the release date.

If it was a side quest 60 hours into the game and it went weird then that would be understandable, but a main path quest set early in the game?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BrianRx posted:

Uhhhh, to what extent? Like cheating/griefing or something more malicious and consequential?

quote:

Public servers are NOT recommended. Whitelisted and co-op servers are strongly recommended for the best experience. There will likely be exploits and hack vulnerabilities that will probably make public servers a nightmarishly annoying place to be. We’ll look to address these in future builds.

Sounds like griefers, probably looking out for the risk of someone taking an axe to the front door of your base and letting all the zeds in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

So I looked back up Seven Days To Die since everyone was talking about it, and I'm not sure how to say this but when did this game stop being minecraft, because I definitely remember it being blocky as gently caress and now looks great?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

I was watching Raptor play Zomboid and it seem pretty fun.
I'm kinda stuck on whether I want to play one of either:
Zomboid, Valheim or Grounded.

I'm a solo player.

Zomboid is very different from the rest because it's a very slow game. You have to be cautious because once you draw attention to yourself by being loud and sloppy you can get really messed up, and there is no respawning. It's a game of boaring up the entire bottom floor of a house and using bedsheets to tie a rope to the second floor window in order to sneak in and out of.

Basically, Zomboid is a stealth survival game, Valheim is not good to play solo, and Grounded is more your typical crafting "build a torch, build a base, explore" kind of survival game and fairly forgiving.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

"The game is so convoluted, idk man"

"Oh its cool, just do these fifteen steps, you know what a kilopascal is right"

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Warrior Princess posted:

I never disagreed about it being convoluted in my post. :shobon:

Don't get me wrong your post made me more interested in playing it, it was just funny.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I tried Stationeers and while it might make me a little bitty baby who can't analyze systems I dislike the UI enough that I think I'm going to return it. It seems like the SS13 of space survival builders, very deep and dynamic if you can stand to look at it for more than one hour.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 22, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RIP to the two community managers that had to go through and restore all those.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

I also feel like a total scrub, but I'm a complete newbie. Snuck into a house, made sure no zombies saw me, and before I knew it they were all banging on the windows and I got bum rushed. Probably just wasn't as stealthy as I thought. Any starting tips for a newbie? The tutorial was fine for teaching me controls, but there's obviously a lot more to learn about this game than controls.

Edit: Jesus this is quite the game. Died again. Rolled a new character. Started doing a little better, went to go raid a house. Front door is locked, dang. Window is locked, dang. Next window is not! But the home's alarm is now blaring, and all the nearby zombies are now coming my way. Oh, God. :stonk:

To just throw out some very high level tips

- Zomboid is a very slow game. You are going to be stocking up a base and very slowly searching through the outer areas. There's nowhere to go so don't be in a rush to get there. In many ways PZ is the ultimate survival game, because you're going to spend a lot of time indoors eating piles of canned beans.

- Don't weigh yourself down. Grab a garbage bag, put it in your offhand to double your inventory, and take what you think you could immediately need. Sheets are good for covering windows, some basic first aid supplies, can openers, and some kind of melee weapon to keep as your primary. Guns are very hit or miss, because they are strong but they are also loud as gently caress.

- Get used to using the items menu to search cabinets rather than individually clicking on them in the world, you can scan contents far faster that way.

- Use the keyboard for opening doors and windows, not the right mouse menu. Remember that climbing through a window requires you to hold down the E key.

- Backing up and swinging at zeds is the sure way to win. You're just trying to get them on the ground, then smash their heads in. Occasionally you're get a kill on a standing zed but it's much more common to take out a downed one.

- Masses of zeds are big but dumb. If you can find a house with an open front door then you can generally lose them by going in and out the back.

- Once you find a place to stay for the night make sure you put sheets up over all the windows, if there aren't blinds to close already.

- Always eat refrigerated food first.

- Advanced skill books don't really help you til you get the basic ones read and studied.

- Use two story houses for your base. Board up the downstairs door and then windows (planks, nails, hammer) and then make a rope ladder down from the second story to make for safe entry and leaving. *Be sure you use the rope ladder to climb out, you can accidentally just climb out and fall and break your legs*

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 25, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sonel posted:

- If bitten drink a bottle of bleach, it's a faster way to go.

This is true but also make sure you're actually infected before cracking out the Clorox. Don't throw your life away just because you got a bit sweaty.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Astroneer is what you would get if you made it so that you could suffocate and die in Euro Truck Simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Most irl survival stuff suffers from the problem of scale in dozens of ways. Without a sustainable solution or an I Am Legend situation where the resources of an entire city is at the disposal of one dude you're going to have issues within a month let alone a year.

Hell, just look at the math. 100 cans of food, what a stash! That's a gigantic pile of food and metal! And it will last a family of three what, a single month? If you are only eating a single can of food a day, which is not enough calories to be happy. It really makes you wonder about people who are preppers, even the good ones with food and water and not just guns. What's the plan going forward?

Among other things I like how World War Z talked about the people who fled up north to the cold to escape the zombies, but ran into the problem that even a handful of families will basically deforest an area within a month just to keep their fires going, let alone finding food and gasoline.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 17, 2022