Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Spoggerific posted:

I did this, and no change. I'm still getting the error.

It's not a fresh install - a couple months ago, I upgraded an old 8.1 install from probably about 8 years ago to 10. I downloaded the installer online from the MS website, and I've since kept up to date with Windows updates (checking right now it's saying there are none available), so I'm not sure why I apparently have a Windows version from 2019.

10.0.19044.0 is just the operating system identifier - it means you're on version 21H2 which is the latest version of Win10. If you type "winver" in your search bar and run it you'll get your patch version, the latest is 19044.1645, and the update preview from yesterday is 19044.1682.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Spoggerific posted:

Here's a pastebin with the log file. I've tried googling bits of the error messages near the bottom of it with "space engineers", but nothing particularly helpful has come up. Most of the results are complete junk, or have similar answers to the stuff I posted above.

I don't suppose anyone has had a similar problem, or knows a solution I hasven't tried yet? I've also opened a support ticket with the devs, but I don't expect that to go anywhere any time soon.

Found this which may help:

"fixed, i use a metod suggested by overwatch.
i changed the actual desktop resolution to 720 and then back to 1080p and know it starts
i think the something went wrong during the installation of windows 10 in the resolution of the screen and changing it fixed the problem for 4 games so far"

https://steamcommunity.com/app/244850/discussions/0/2913220877913474685/

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The only criticism I was able to muster for Green Hell is that it goes from "holy poo poo everything is killing me" to "I can't die" very abruptly, not because of any in-game progression that confers that level of survivability, but because you as the player will have a eureka moment when it all clicks together and you "get it." Once that happens, when you die you can always point to the exact mistake that led to your death. Whether or not you consider that a point against the title is up to what you like.

Surviving is not about building through a tech tree, but about learning, exploring, understanding, and remembering where things are. Getting lost is kind of a big deal, but the idea of being "lost" is a good parallel to real life: you're only "lost" if you aren't familiar with an area. Once you know an area well, it goes from inhospitable and deadly, to easy to survive in, to eventually safe enough to recover from a mistake or two.

It also has a storyline you play through, and some adjustable difficulty settings to mix things up.

I think it's an underrated and underexposed title to be honest. Most people I've talked to about it never heard of it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jawnycat posted:

Yeah, the story of Green Hell is Extremely Not a white savior archtype. The hostile natives are a recent and understandably xenophobic offshoot of the tribes caused by your character and his eventual employers loving with them, exploiting them, starting a global media frenzy around them and exposing them to diseases that mostly wiped them out before the game starts.

And yeah, the map is static. The survival mode juggles around the locations of some findable equipment compared to the story mode, but the map is completely set in stone.

Yeah, if anything, once you finish the whole story, it pretty much deconstructs that archetype entirely. It's almost a warning against it.

Then you play the DLC, which sort of winds back some of that goodwill. I'd skip that part, it's nowhere near as fun as the campaign.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Mischievous Mink posted:

I've been getting amber sometimes from chopping the big tall trees that give hard wood.

e: Oh no poo poo you said amber, and I was thinking resin. lol sorry.

Hot resin tip (the drop rate from regular trees is awful): chop down the trees with orange leaves.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sab669 posted:

How do I know which Flame Shrines I've looted already? Or do they respawn and generate more Sparks?
And what's the difference between a Flame Shrine and Flame Sanctum? Because they have the same icon on the map :shrug:

You don't. But over time they respawn and generate more sparks.

Flame Shrines are out in the open, Flame Sanctums are in little buildings. Otherwise no difference.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Hakarne posted:

Definitely feels like Enshrouded merits it's own thread. I'm only a few hours in but it already seems way more engaging than the demo. I love the building system, this is the first game that making a proper roof didn't feel like a huge pain in the rear end. It also has a good "coziness" factor when you're in your base, seems right up there with Valheim.

Not sure if there's a hidden disadvantage to doing this, but I've been making themed homes for each crafter. Can you move the flame without destroying the buildings? I kinda want to move it to the center of the town now.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

Item economy makes no sense (buy out the first trader by running around picking the grass around him for 2 minutes).

Not sure if the game tells you this during the tutorial, but I accidentally stumbled onto the challenges menu, and you can click "claim" on any completed ones to get free poo poo. Got about 1600 essence this way, so I was able to buy out the trader comfortably without picking up random poo poo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SlyFrog posted:

This is from the Developers regarding the Enshrouded Update:

"It is possible to run these as a solo player, but it might be a very challenging experience, and we recommend bringing some friends along."

This is exactly the type of thing that always makes me leery of co-op survival games single player, and why I'm looking for the single player first experience. I've seen too many things like that before, where you can theoretically do the content solo, but it just sucks and is clearly intended (and scaled difficulty-wise) to be done with a group. I've found a lot of co-op survival games that are technically playable solo are basically horrible slogs solo, because you're having to super slowly edge forward to make up for the intended teammates that aren't there.

I'm not criticizing the game at all - co-op games can be great. Just saying that sometimes it feels like they have a solo option in name only.

I've got a max-level character in Enshrouded with all the top-level legendary drops, and the lowest level dungeon they added was a bitch, even though I vastly outleveled it. And they pulled this poo poo too: the first 90% of the run was fine, and then in the last room, they throw waves of infinite respawn enemies at you non-stop, so your initial time investment and internal gauge of whether or not you can handle it is thrown right out the window in the last room.

There was a gimmick to the fight that can make it shorter, but you don't know that going in. I wound up bum-rushing the final room, grabbing the loot, and dipping out, and have no intention of trying the other three.

And the combat in Enshrouded is hardly engaging and robust, the game isn't really built around combat, or if it is, it's done badly.

That said I think the game is lots of fun, and if you ignore that specific set of optional dungeons (which I think only award some cosmetic base customizations) the rest of the game is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, blocking does not work half the time, and its clear you're intended to block because it staggers enemies. best I can do is just have a bunch of health potions and hope i can run away from enemies.

I thought it was just me, but it's been my finding as well. Many times I know drat well I put the shield up, but it just doesn't come up. I can't replicate it outside of combat.

Now my big move as an archer (particularly for the poison dual-wielding fast as gently caress enemies) is to wait until they close, dodge roll backwards, arrow to the head while they swing at empty air, rinse/repeat.

This does not work against groups, however.

And even though sure, arrow crafting costs are down, I still am playing the only build that has to grind to fight.

And where the hell are all the Revelwoods shrines? I've gone to every one of them several times apiece, including the unmarked one in the blocked off cave, and I'm not getting the achievement for any area except the Springlands.