Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Feeling like there's a shortage of new survival games atm?
Don't worry. here's one for you....

quote:

Soulmask is a sandbox game that prioritizes an authentic survival experience. As the "last one" blessed with the mysterious mask, players will grapple for survival in a primitive land steeped in mysterious faiths, carving out a path to ascendance. Start from nothing, explore, build, recruit tribesmen to fortify your clan, and ultimately unravel the mysterious truths hidden behind the civilizations of this world.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2646460/Soulmask/

https://discord.gg/pv6GzRn4

I've no idea if it's any good at all, but I just got pinged about the demo. It's supposedly about 40 hours worth (max Lv 30) and is live until mid February

(This, as well as Soulframe make me laugh with their names though. Not saying "Soul" isn't allowed, but lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Gotta get that spooky juice

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Umbreon posted:

The magic chest that lets you craft anywhere from it is a huge relief, at least. Going to be making a few more of them for sure.

Fo sho.

It isn't great early game though and seems a but unnecessary, but I guess that at the idk, 23, 30 plus hours point it will just be a distant memory.
It does seem odd though as they've got lots of other decent qol stuff

It's high on the list of user requested items, and I've seen it mentioned on reddit a fair bit so hopefully they change it somehow, or even just remove it.
The devs are very responsive on reddit and discord which is cool.

Here's the list of stuff..
https://enshrouded.featureupvote.com/

-edit-
Haha, that list has some real gems in the comments. Some really funny "I'm not a coder, but..." stuff suggesting how to go about getting water working in a voxel based game. A famously difficult task may end up being solved by "GameBubba420" in a comment post

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 26, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Google Butt posted:

How's enshrouded controller support?

Fine for the limited time that I tried it. Xbox and PS5 pads, iirc the PS5 one didn't show the right buttons though I may be confusing it with one of the other fuckloads of games atm.
It was fine switching between controller and keyboard too.
I eventually changed over to kb/m but more as a preference thing as I find that beyond the actual character based movement/interacting bstuff most games get a bit head-fucky in the menus/tabs/ui etc. That's probably just my decrepit brain though as most others seem to be fine with stuff that bakes my noodle (Diablo 4 on console was a recent problem for me. So many sub menus, tabs, modifiers for me sadly)

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

^^ I think that's the game. I find it is, like, dropping things a couple of clicks into the ground if that makes sense.. Not that I've done a great amount of building. I'll have to get a screenshot of my, erm, rudimentary ncp shelter.

Genix posted:

Will Enshrouded be getting its own thread ?

I certainly hope so. I think it has the legs to "deserve" it imo. I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't got one already, I'd been thinking that maybe I was just overly enamoured by the game as it was new and shiny, but it seems to be getting great feedback elsewhere, just a bit more slowly here. Also, gently caress, there's no shortage of new and shiny atm.

I was kind of pleased when the Once Human beta ended after ploughing 200 hours into it in 40odd days, then idk, 3 survival games, as well as a dozen other things all released in one form or another.
I'm definitely not the person to do an OP though lol no

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

After having the luxury of switching off drop on death in Palworld, I'm hating (repeatedly) losing poo poo when I stumble/slide/squirrel-glide into the "too hot to handle shroud". I really wish it was better marker so could have a chance of avoiding it. Having my stuff land there just a few feet too deep in, so I can't even retrieve it is a real pisser.

Other than that, it's only minor poo poo that is bugging me. Oh and the performance tanking for no reason.
Can see myself switching between this and Palworld for a while when either one bugs me too much with it's rough edges.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Qubee posted:

Why does my glider suck, I can barely traverse that far. It's almost as if I'm a rock dropping through the air, I get barely any hang time.

Make sure you're not pressing down to dive (like I was doing the first few "flights"), that should give you a half decent amount with even the basic one. There are some skills for it too, a stamina reduction one first and a verticality boost (called updraft) one after. Probably more too, idk
You are jumping from a good height yeah? I mean it can sort of scoot you down some steep slopes (which looks hilarious imo) but it's really from yeeting yourself of a mountain top or a massive spire base jumper style
Just saw a video with a legendary one that looks bonkers

-edit-
Just roughly timed a jump from the cliff edge beside my starting base into the enshrouded valley below and got 8 or so seconds to the tower I wanted tor each, but could have got more if I wanted to land farther along in the mist

I just got this ring, and it seems far from legendary to me. I have to lose 20 health and 1 regen if I use it and it really doesn't seem worth it

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 28, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

bird food bathtub posted:

Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behavior with Enshrouded? I kinda get trees respawning, and maybe even rocks, but it looks like the ground is respawning too. I've dug out the same patch of flint or whatever right next to the starting area four times now. Not sure how you'd make an underground base if this stuff keeps filling back in.

Stuff within the bounds of your altar doesn't regrow

Sab669 posted:

Quoting myself from the Steam thread -

Game seems neat so far otherwise, trying to figure out how to get to the Carpenter. But I think I might need to upgrade my Flamething first because there's lots of angry red fog :thunk:

I was put off for a fair while, but there are a few little island bits of non-red that you can double jump over to get to the start of it.
Pretty sure you do need to have levelled up once (maybe twice) but not beyond that.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

So the consensus is to get and play Enshrouded then?

I'm really enjoying it, and more so as time goes on as well. Seems like it will have pretty long legs too going by some videos I've seen.
It is gaining players steadily too. 5th most played on Steam today 160,000 peak

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 28, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I actually posted a link to it a few pages ago (before trying it) and forgot to come back to update my experience.
Pretty poor to say the least. Half baked would be generous even for a demo of, I assume, en early access.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

There's a server test thing going on for Nightingale atm. Supposedly it's open to all, but discord contradicts that so idk, either way it's for another 5 hours at time of this post

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1928980/Nightingale/

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Pacific Drive demo is up on Steam

-edit-

And it's great. Pretty short, not the same demo that previews and streamers have, but enough to get the flavour.
I was pleased to see that it's going to have a physical version for the PS5, but it doesn't come out until April, nearly 2 months after launch. That's a shame, but at least it is a low price.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 5, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Anyone here played Smalland?
I noticed it launched on PS5 (as well as post-EA v1.0 on Steam) and think it may be a nice chill survival game, but for me it's a bit expensive to take a chance on (£35)

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Hey, thanks for the post. Teleporting bases sounds ace tbh.
It does look a bit janky in the trailers for sure. Any time I get interested in a new survival game, my first thought is "wonder what the clunky/janky/wonky bit will be", I guess it just comes with the territory. Part of the charm maybe.

I got the pricing wrong, seems it's reduced to about 25 on PSN now, so I'll probably cave

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 16, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

How is Enshrouded's base building? I'm kind of intrigued by it, but I'm also wondering if the construction is as fully fleshed out as something like valheim?

I'm not a builder in the slightest, but I have seen some stunning creations in random youtube videos, and please don't judge me, reddit.

--
Pacific Drive reviews are out. Lots of 8s and 9s and general goodness

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

You can definitely line up multiples/max amounts when crafting/cooking.
Some stuff does take longer than necessary imo. Not sure about queuing up multiples different things tbh.

Also, it sounds like your action bar has swapped back to the beta style (it was/is bad as gently caress) I'm pretty sure the ui/left-right thing is swappable now.

Seen claims around that there's only US servers. That's incorrect, but some people have been connected to the wrong one. Details are on the website.

Fuckin dumb that even single player needs to be connected still. Really hosed themselves with that and I can't imagine it would be simple to change.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 21, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I'm pretty happy with the performance I'm (generally) getting in Nightingale. The details in case it helps anyone somehow..
I've a laptop with an RTX 3050 (only 4gb VRAM) Ryzen 5600h and 16GB of RAM.
Playing at 1440p as 1080 looks like poo poo on my 55" 4k TV, and I find the laptop screen too cramped.
Settings are pretty much all on "performance" I think. The one above lowest. DLSS balanced (I think)
FPS is from about 35 to 60 generally in the high 40s, so it's mostly in the VRR range of the TV.
Oh yeah ping is from 25 to 60, usually in the 30s

It still manages to look really nice at points, sunsets/rises are a highlight. Having watched a few videos and trailers I'm jealous though.
There's a 8-9 minute video showing a lot more of the later game stuff that looks interesting btw. Can't access my YouTube history atm sorry, but it was on IGN the other day, I think it's an official one, so pinch of salt and all that

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Nightingale doesn't pull from chests, gently caress sake.
They said it is pretty much top of the list and likely to be implemented in the next patch or whatever. I just don't understand, it's such a basic qol thing now

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Not sure if the game tells you this during the tutorial, but I accidentally stumbled onto the challenges menu, and you can click "claim" on any completed ones to get free poo poo. Got about 1600 essence this way, so I was able to buy out the trader comfortably without picking up random poo poo.

Yeah I don't think it's mentioned, I watched a YouTube guy earlier that only noticed at 50-odd hours in. I did happen to notice it personally, but only because I'm a compulsive list digger, and there's quite a lot of lists and the like in this game.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I reckon Pacific Drive is not just going to be in the "good game" column for many people, but actually in the "special game" one.
It's also one that some people will bounce off off of course. I actually though I might be one as it is kinda hard, and definitely stress inducing which can often put me off, but it is just wonderful.
No details though as loads of stuff is best to just stumble upon. I kind of wish I hadn't watched the skillup review tbh. Still, no biggie, plenty of weird poo poo to be freaked out by

---
Nightingale has an exploit/cheese/price anomaly that you can (ab)use to get thousands of essence if you are the type. At least while it remains unpatched.

Buy bottles from the trader, process back into essence, buy again, repeat. IIRC you 4x your essence. Really just clicking the button is the limit

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 22, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Nightingale devs are gonna walk back the online only thing it seems.
Very good call imo.

quote:

We’ve seen a lot of discussion in recent days around our decision to make Nightingale online-only at our Early Access release. We understand that this can be frustrating for a number of reasons.

Our vision for the game since inception was to create an interconnected series of Realms, with the idea of allowing for co-operative exploration in mind - a universe bigger than a single Realm or server. That meant we made a choice early in development between supporting co-op from day one or focusing development on an offline mode.

Co-operative gameplay associated with having party members across multiple Realms was the more technically challenging problem and therefore the one we chose to tackle first. Looking back on that decision, we misjudged what some of you were looking for in your experience.

We are now prioritizing and developing an offline mode that we plan to release as soon as feasible. Keep an eye on our social channels and Discord for updates in the coming weeks alongside other things we're working on. Thank you to everyone who has stepped into the Realms with us so far - the journey has just begun and we look forward to sharing it with you all.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Kraftwerk posted:

I was wondering between Nightingale and Enshrouded which of these would be the better buy? I don’t think I have the time or money to get both.

Enshrouded.
Nightingale gets very grindy by the mid game. The lack of pulling from chests is even worse than most other games as the crafting gets very convoluted.
It has plenty of potential, but I've benched it for a long while
Maybe check some reviews.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 24, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

thark posted:

You get like an aiming orb thing and have to aim it somewhere where there's actually room for the car to stand, on reasonably level ground etc (but also not too far from where the car currently is).

Haha, really? gently caress, I've done it loads and had no idea. I just do a panicky button mash while screaming

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Nice op. Bookmarked for when my "try again inta year" becomes more like 2 weeks.

Oh the devs have said that they are going to fix the spoilered but this week btw

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Pacific Drive also has a cool thread that's being missed a bit

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055150

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Gonna crosspost this here too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKwRRlfnixQ&t=10s

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I really wanted to like it. Still do really. It's the crafting logistics that bounced me hard off of it.Going to check it again in a year's time or whatever and see how it goes.

Talking of coming back to games after a break. I played Ikarus recently after benching it for a long time and I'm enjoying it a lot. Pretty unforgiving of my low skill, poor comprehension brain, but still enjoyable.
I was loling when I discovered the thread title though.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Worth mentioning that Icarus goes on sale less often than most, something like 4 times a year at most. Just in case anyone is on the fence.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SlyFrog posted:

What's the best open worldish survival game (other than Subnautica, which I loved but finished) purely for solo play?

Like I don't care if the game can handle multiple players, but it needs to be really good solo - I won't be playing with others.

I'm 100% a solo player and loved Enshrouded. Binged 70 hours of it.
It just had its first update which has been highly praised, as well as looking positive for the future of the game.
Big recommendation from me. I loved subnautica too
Enshrouded has its own thread here btw

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

SlyFrog posted:

This is from the Developers regarding the Enshrouded Update:

"It is possible to run these as a solo player, but it might be a very challenging experience, and we recommend bringing some friends along."

This is exactly the type of thing that always makes me leery of co-op survival games single player, and why I'm looking for the single player first experience. I've seen too many things like that before, where you can theoretically do the content solo, but it just sucks and is clearly intended (and scaled difficulty-wise) to be done with a group. I've found a lot of co-op survival games that are technically playable solo are basically horrible slogs solo, because you're having to super slowly edge forward to make up for the intended teammates that aren't there.

I'm not criticizing the game at all - co-op games can be great. Just saying that sometimes it feels like they have a solo option in name only.

Yeah, I think that's just the new dungeons though. It's a tiny fraction of the game that you could ignore and still have many many hours of solo fun. It doesn't sound like that's the direction they are taking the whole game or anything, just something for groups of more serious players. The vast majority of videos on YouTube of it is solo players too.
I got 70 plus hours solo (I only ever play solo, like ever, seriously) and I'm pretty low skilled and I didn't feel it was tuned toward groups at all. If I'd put even a little bit of effort into building it would easily taken me over 100 hours. I have no shame in my hovel since nobody sees it heh
Lotta words there for some reason lol

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 31, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Once Human has its final 42 day beta just starting. They are supposedly open until 150,000 get in, or tomorrow, idk they are a bit confusing tbh.
I played a good 120 hours on the last beta and really liked it. They have made some great changes from what I've seen in the first few hours today.
It's a bit of a sprawling concoction of different stuff, and could look a bit janky, but the combat/crafting/building loop hooked me good the last time.

From what I can glean from the shitshow that their discord is atm, it is still open to new players
https://www.oncehuman.game/

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

I'm only seeing beta sign-ups for the mobile version there I think?

You have to use the launcher thing now I think. The link under the Steam wish list thing. It still says pre load or something for some reason.
This is it I think. It's actually a loader thing called "Loading Bay" just to cause more confusion lol
https://adl.easebar.com/d/g/oncehuman/c/gwcbt3

I think you just have to crate a character before the cut-off

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 5, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

Once human looks neat but I kind of worry its heavily quest based, which is kind of turning me off of Nightingale. Trying to figure out what exactly i need to do in order to complete these quests that lock new crafting stuff behind them is a bit much. I do really love the weird monsters I've seen in the demos and trailers.

It does have that aspect, but it is orders of magnitude less so than Nightingale imo. I bounced off of that so hard for mainly that reason (along with qol crafting) I really wanted to like it too. Hopefully I'll like it in a year or so, I hope so.

The basic quests just sort of unlock and give you some stuff naturally as you progress really, rather than being blockades to progress. I had been playing for dozens of hours the last time before I even discovered all the stuff I could claim for just playing through naturally. I meant, there is the usual survival progression thing, but I never felt constrained by it. There's just gently caress-loads to do.
Same with the "season" stuff. It was (maybe still is, idk) not really that clearly explained, so I was almost max level, and again had all this stuff that I'd achieved without knowing, just sitting in a different page or tab or whatever. At the very end, maybe the last week, I did start to check stuff off, but only because I was running out of stuff to do.
I didn't do guild related stuff (solo all the way me) or do any PvP (very low skilled player me), and compared to some others, my base was, erm, rudimentary to say the least.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Vib Rib posted:

It looks cool, but I might wait till it's on full release and out of growing pains. Did they say when the estimated release was?

Q3 supposedly. Seems like it'll probably be on time as well. Full release as well, I think they could have released even the first beta as early access and it would have been acceptable.
I'm not sure I'll play as much this time even though they have made a load of improvements, but mainly as it will be a full wipe again and I don't want do do that again tbh.

Black Griffon posted:

Right oh, made a default looking character and played for a minute before work. Can I make several characters?

Feels like Control Stranding just from the initial vibes tbh.

Hmm, good question. I don't think so. Well, you can make more on different servers maybe, but the progress will be separate, so I don't think you'd want to. I could be wrong though, so don't take it as gospel.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

Ah, well then I'll just pick a different server to actually spend time in the character creator. Not a problem when I'd barely started the tutorial.

I jumped in to check, and they have change the server setup, you can change between them easier now or something, so I've no idea how the characters are tied or not now tbh. Since you've made a character before they cut off the sign ups, you' should be fine either way.
The discord is about 100 times better (so far) so maybe ask if you're unsure.
Last time it was massively oversubscribed and just swamped with people begging for keys, hosed up key drops and general noise. Hopefully it is less of a clusterfuck and anyone who wants in can get in. Last time iirc it was around 20,000 and this time they are starting off at 150,000. Fingers crossed.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Goa Tse-tung posted:

made a very attractive lady with a great rear end, finished the tutorial, lolled when I realized they give you everything except pants

didn't laugh when I ran for ten minutes in one direction and still couldn't find a space to build my base

Haha, yeah I did the same first time. It seemed like it was loving miles away until there was space, but it's just that the map i gigantic and everyone grabs the places where they drop. Don't stress too much, it really doesn't matter, in fact as you progress you'll move it as you level up your gathering and whatnot. The fast travel is good and being what seems like a fair distance from the starting bit really makes no difference tbh.
You can either just go off in one direction on an adventure and then hit the button to see if it is free for building (and not next to a dungeon or the like) or, you can hit the base building button and the base appears in ghost form, then just run until changes colour and it lets you drop it.

The first wee one you build is just the basic as gently caress one, more of a temporary camp/bench type thing. A bit like the altar things in Enshrouded. The other full on base with turrets and gold toilets and whatnot is a bit more semi-permanent, that takes a little while to gradually unlock and build.
Actually, the full base moving thing is excellent compared to most games like this. You can (pretty much) just yeet your entire set up with a few clicks. I'd hoped Enshrouded would let you do something similar but it doesn't. Still like that game a lot too tho

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

Once Human is pretty enjoyable, but I'm not a huge fan of how much the default building materials look like Default Modern European House, so I hope we can mix it up a bit without paying out the rear end for custom skins. I wanna make some brutalist Blade Runner rear end bullshit to fit in with the general weirdness of the world.

I didn't get into building much but I did see some uber deluxe de la fancy stylings on a few videos. One in particular reminded me of Deus Ex actually. The skins and whatnot are all earn-able in game, but I'm sure that once the game is out fully you'll be able to short cut with money if you want.
As ever nobody knows how the monetization will be done, but the main dev seemed to spend a lot of his time in the discord promising that it wasn't p2w, and would be cosmetic only.
He was also on a 90 minute youtube stream explaining it, and saying that if netease try to change it "they'd need to buy out my whole company and gut it first" The stream was presented by an obnoxious streamer type (shock horror) and was hard to watch so I won't link it.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Black Griffon posted:

Still puttering aroubd with Once Human. It's janky, and borders on plagarism in a few areas (first thing that comes to mind is the telekinetic abilities being identical to Launch in Control, down to the way the objects hover and the weird floating particles), but... it intrigues me. I like wandering the world and picking through refuse, finding weird monsters to kill.

That's good to hear. I like building, and I recognize that as far as building systems go, OH has an extremely standard system compared to something like Sons of the Forest or enshrouded, so I want to get as much out of it as I can if this thing has legs.

Interesting. I'm always expecting people to hate it and denounce the same things you mention, as I felt the same initially, but it hooked me and I really like it.
The Control thing is still dumb imo though. It hardly plays any real part in the game (that I can recall) but is shown early on giving a bad impression to little gain.
I'd say that if you get past, say the first boss, you'll have a pretty good idea of most of the systems and how it all interacts. The high end crafting and building/automation is later, but it is still built off of the same framework. I can't say much about the multi person bosses/raids as I usually never bother teaming up. They did look good from what I saw online.

I've not played much this time tbh, but mainly because I played way too much last time and want to wait until full release.
They've knocked off a fair few of the rough edges and seem to have responded well to feedback as well which is promising.

Looks like they hit the 150,000 target. So if anyone wants in you have to try the bot on their discord channel via their homepage or something.
It at least appears a bit better organised than last time.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Just received a Pax Dei alpha 2 key, has anyone here got one?
I usually solo pretty much everything, but might give grouping up a go if an Goons are in. I think the US and EU servers are separate at this time though.
Supposedly they are sending 100,000 keys.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

The Locator posted:

Looking at their website, PvP is mentioned, but no specifics at all. The description of the game economy makes it sound like they are going for Eve Online in a medieval setting for the player economy, but I'm old and hate PvP. If you've been following this, do you know if the PvP is optional, or is it more like Eve in that also?

It is very early still, so nothing is set in stone afaik. I did just find this on the Discord. I'm also old and bloody hate PvP so it sounds fine to me so far. There is more info there, here is a snippet....

quote:

This article is not about PVP. Still, it feels like we have to say a word about it. PVP in Pax Dei will always be based on consent. Home Valleys, in particular, will be sacrosanct: your home can never be damaged by other players, and you can always roam around your village and its surroundings without fear of being ambushed. (The only exception is we want to implement the possibility for duels, even in villages.)

Instead, we want to dedicate specific areas to PvP. We call them Contested Provinces. Contested Provinces will contain unique resources that cannot be harvested elsewhere (to be clear: “unique” doesn’t mean “best” - other areas of the game also feature unique resources). Anybody entering a Contested Province gets automatically flagged for PVP, a flag that can only be removed by leaving the area (it will be a bit more subtle and complex, but you have a rough idea).

We have plenty more ideas for the Contested Provinces (and for PvP in general), and we’ll definitely want to come back to the whole topic of PVP with more details.

We are confident that this initial set-up will already provide opportunities for a lot of fun encounters for the more aggressive members of our community while also allowing them to meaningfully contribute to the social fabric of the game
https://discord.com/channels/1071081786962088018/1085245419900117082

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

stringless posted:

Pax Dei has crafting difficulty levels and if you fail you lose most/all of the mats involved. It's also never clear what can be harvested except for poo poo that's already on the ground, I looked around and swung my pick at all the rocks and none of them were interactable. The basic wood axe you unlock can only cut half of the tiniest trees, the others are "too hard". You have to find clay and flint somehow to work up to a furnace and various other crafting tools. There doesn't appear to be an inventory weight limit, but you only have a limited number of inventory spaces and the max stack levels are hilariously low. You need iron and/or some other mats to make the most basic storage containers, so if you've been picking up various mushrooms, berries, animal bits, "lol"

I can't think of anything it does well except maybe that recipes unlock when you've gotten a mat involved in them.

I wrote a pretty scathing post in the MMO thread. I thought it was an MMO because they say it is, and repeatedly mention how you can play solo, it is best to team up.

quote:

Yeah, it's still a long long way from cooked, even though it looks pretty nice.

I guess it is an alpha (whatever that means) but I've no idea what the MMO angle is since it just drops you into a typical survival type of scenario. They have underlined the multi player MMO angle so I should really investigate. Gonna have a dig through the discord and see how to join up as the single player life wasn't much fun today. Here's what I discovered as a lone player..

Crafting is not explained, some stuff unlocks other stuff, but no indication what. Even just chopping some trees is a loving pain as you often end up just flailing at it.
The few things I've unlocked have taken a lot of time and haven't really given me much. No armor, no building stuff other that the basic benches etc. Just unlocked a bow, but to build it needs stuff that I've no idea how to get. That's a general frustration tbh. Again, I guess because it is an alpha.
Oh, no crafting from storage. Some games release fully in the same state, either way it is unforgivable imo (looking at you Nightingale)
Crafting can fail! gently caress this bullshit forever, either unlock it, or not, I don't want to gamble.
Unless I'm missing it, you either craft 1 item, or the whole stack. I can see no way to do only a few, it is 1 or all.
You have to sit and wait for the stuff to complete (or not). lmao

I may be doing it wrong, but my plot that I have put down isn't the re-spawn. The re-spawn isn't that far away, but it is annoying. You drop your stuff if you die (I loving hate that) and even though you don't have to go back to the exact spot to get it all back, it is close enough to your grave that while you try and grab you poo poo, the same pack of wolves will kill you again. Ugh.
Only combat I've done is stabbing rabbits with a pointy stick. Stabbing an old boar with a pointy stick, and being murdered by 3 wolves. Repeatedly.

Plays smoothly and looks pretty but I've got a high end system, I think it might not be the same for lower rigs maybe.

I'll post back again once I join a guild since a few of these things (and the grind) will be improved I hope.

Then I felt bad because I'd pissed on the game a bit and not even tried to team up...

quote:

So, I thought I'd try joining a guild since single player is a chore.
The in game guild finder doesn't say if the ones listed are on a any particular server. The advertisements have no info at all other than the name and player count. Most are 1 or 2 players, max I've seen is 9. Looks like I'm teaming up with some random Gamers. gently caress me

--edit--

Just remembered that I have lots of good games I can be playing instead, gently caress this poo poo.