Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It feels like a very rote mechanics exercise, except for that one glimpse of creativity in the hidden subterranean base of some unlucky sod who went mad and plastered the entire interior of the bunker-like base with dozens of comms screens all displaying the mail you get in the beginning.

Someone there is keeping their creativity locked up in a little hard to find corner of the game.

It definitely feels like a proof of concept more than a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The Long Dark frustrates the gently caress out of me, and it's all because of the lack of a narrative arc in survival mode. All I want is to have some kind of end goal. Fix a boat and gather supplies for a trip to the mainland, make a signal strong enough to get rescuer attention, unlock the super fancy super prepper vault. Anything to actually end the game.

As the game is right now there's a story mode I don't care much about, with NPC and whatnot, and survival mode loses steam as soon I find some good clothes. I know how to survive effectively forever, so after a few hours I've already "won".

I really like everything else about the game. The atmosphere is incredible, exploration is great, making my own maps, the feel of "coming home" from the outside. A lot of my annoyances with QoL are fixable by mods. But mods can't put a proper conclusion into the game.

Anyway, there's apparently a split of story and survival mode in the works, plus steam workshop support. It's a good game, I just hate it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Firos posted:

Crank up the difficulty. If there were an up-to-date mod to further reduce the number of animals I would have that installed too. And remember that at the highest difficulty the world gets overall colder for 50 days, so good clothes are not enough to completely break the back of the game.

That just makes it tedious, but you can still cheese your way to a slow death march against entropy, and I don't find that compelling at all. I wish it was more like Subnautica, sending me forward into more and more inhospitable terrain until I get to a defined end point, with a narrative arc. I just want some good catharsis and closure.

Regarding Planet Crafter, they put out some blurb about the future of the game and this cought my eye:

quote:

As the amazing reception of Planet Crafter caught us a bit by surprise, we are making some changes in our life to be able to completely focus on the game in the future

And that makes it sound like it was a hobby project before. Which I totally buy.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I don't have a problem with thalassophobia normally, but diving through ice caves broke me. "What if cave diving, but the walls are nondescript and partly transparent" is the worst thing and I ran out of air twice. :shepface:

It's much worse than getting lost in one of the wreck sections in Subnautica.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Kind of related, but if Subnautica were an album, it would be Pelagial (Instrumental) by The Ocean.

Safe Shallows: https://theocean.bandcamp.com/track/epipelagic-instrumental-version
Lost River: https://theocean.bandcamp.com/track/abyssopelagic-ii-signals-of-anxiety-instrumental-version
Lava Lakes: https://theocean.bandcamp.com/track/benthic-the-origin-of-our-wishes-instrumental-version

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

HopperUK posted:

I have terrible acrophobia and the rooftop sections in Elden Ring give me the fear when I'm watching someone *else* play them. So I get you.

How did you deal with the loving bridge section in HL2?

e: Just to remind everyone, this Bridge of Abject Terror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luAMasM4leM

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Understandable. At one point a train passes overhead and the entire thing shakes. Plus the wind noises. :shepface:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I made a square dirt hovel. :saddumb:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

quote:

v1.17.0-rc.6, an unstable release, can now be downloaded through the account manager (section "Other Goodies").

My apologies for the long wait, I was on vacation/family visit and also had to tend after my garden, as there is lots to harvest now - potatoes needing to be dug up, tomatoes needing to be turned into tomato sauce, cucumbers in need of pickling and so on

The Vintage Story dev has it figured out tbh.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I plant ferns on and around my dirt hovel so I can't find it again without looking at the map. :dumb:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Spanish Matlock posted:

Okay so what do you do with the other 800?

Wait for a Ticks And Meningitis update, perhaps.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Being written in Java is fine (VS is written in Microsoft Java aka C#). The thing is that the Vintage Story devs thought about how to include modding properly from the very beginning.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Well, there's the sequel, which is basically just more Subnautica, if very condensed.

FWIW, as a fellow Subnautica lover, I've found The Long Dark very compelling. Except for the lack of an end goal. It is incredibly atmospheric though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Making a game called Subnautica but having extended surface sections in the sequel does feel like taking the piss, tbh.

Below Zero just feels too condensed. It showers you in upgrades and whatnot so quickly it feels weird.

I do commend them for the ice cave diving section, though. -5/10 absolutely never again :shepface:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

They have been fashionably vague on all of those fronts from what I can tell.

My guess is that the initial release includes the new maps and the fauna and flora reshuffle, and everything else comes later.

But I'm also quite happy to just wait for what actually releases on the 5th.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Drop a torch and aim a stone at them. That's literally all there is to it.

The way hostile animals are done in The Long Dark is my second biggest complaint about the game. It would be much, much better if wolves were much more rare and would only stalk and attack if they were starving. You know, like real wolves. It would also make them much more scary if they were rarer.

Instead, the island is absolutely crawling with a gigantic wolf population that is both incredibly aggressive and far too large to be sustainable.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

beats for junkies posted:

ArmA 3 has a go-kart DLC after an April 1st fakepost got a response of "okay, but when is this actually coming out?"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/288520/Arma_3_Karts/

lol, I just noticed that it's under the Racing Games category.

I urge everyone to watch the trailer for this xtremely srs bsns milsim game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSAJdRpqltM

But these are the people who decided to do a first contact DLC late in the game's lifecycle that is actually… good? It's great, even. Completely wild.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The problem with Interloper is how annoying and tedious the wildlife is and how it becomes a game of memorising spawn locations for important items.

I've played it with mostly interloper settings, except with all items available and wolves set to only come out at night (the setting with the least wolf spawns still spawns way too many.

You can get sustainable especially post-DLC because beachcombing provides a lot. It's just also tedious.

I dearly wish the developers would take some clues from Subnautica on how to provide a definite end point and goal to work towards in a game. A lot of regions are mostly irrelevant outside of looking for unique items.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The phase change update introduced new and exciting ways for pipes to rupture. My base on the moon needs constant cooling, but radiators won't stop cooling my working gas until it turns liquid and solid shortly after if I don't constantly feed heat into the coolant loop.

For now I have severely reduced the amount of coolant in my coolant loop so it can all freeze without rupturing the pipes, but it severely degrades the efficiency of cooling.

A proper coolant setup now probably looks very similar to a real life one, pumping hot gas into outside radiator pipes, then pumping the condensate back inside to evaporate. Keep your storage tank at inside ambient temperature so you don't get funny state transitions when the coolant system is shut off.

Then to turn off cooling, turn off the pump that pumps gas into the radiators outside. The outside section should radiate off the heat, turn the gas liquid, which gets removed immediately. When shut off, the outside section would then be empty.

I plan to build this after I build my filtration setup (it's my first base…) :v:

Anyway, it feels like the moon is much more difficult than mars. I can deal with storms, but the moon really forces you to deal with gases and their states constantly because everything outside will eventually radiate away most of its heat…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The changelog is a bit confusing.

quote:

Reenabled active vents being able to burst pipes. The concept of internal pressure limiting has been removed. Active vent was overloaded with functionality. The problems it solved can be overcome using other systems.
removed internal pressure logic type as a read/write for active vent
Reverted active vent changes

But in the "Key Bug Fixes":

quote:

Fixed safety limits being ignored on active vent.

Since it seems to be a dump of the commit history, it seems like they removed the pressure limiter on the active vent, then reverted it with this patch on the 31st.

e: They should really consider adding tags to their commits that tell their changelog generator whether to include the commit message or not…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Here is a screenshot of me playing Stationeers.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I just figured out that chemistry in Stationeers is hosed beyond repair.

You can put volatiles and O2 into an H2 Combuster, and out comes Water and heat.
You can put volatiles and O2 into a generator, and out comes… CO2 and pollutants and electricity and heat.

The game seems set up to destroy H2. Plants destroy it as well, and so does drinking. It's weird and it feels game ruining that common and obvious things don't work the way they should. My first thought when settling Mars is to conserve and recycle the elements required to sustain life in a closed loop, but a closed loop is impossible in Stationeers because it fucks up the chemistry. :argh:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I hate you.

But also, I think space toilets and human waste processing are essential parts that are missing from Stationeers. Volatiles should be split into H2 and methane, burning hydrocarbons should release H2O vapour and CO2, plants should sequester C and H and perspirate H2O while releasing O2. And someone should go through all of those reactions and make sure the mols add up.

I want to put a sign at the station entrance that reads "In this station we observe conservation of mass".

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If you're going to Mars, you're going to piss your own drink.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I just had a revelation. Stationeers isn't a survivial game. It's HVAC Simulator 2023.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The inline tanks are pretty good if you just need a buffer.

My current gripe, the H2O situation notwithstanding, is how easily gas pipes burst. 5 mol of N2 are ~70g, but if they freeze a gas pipe as thick as my arm will explode? I just need a simple heat pipe to cool my 3x3 initial greenhouse at the beginning of the game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I wish there was a fishing minigame that actually had a passing resemblance to real world fishing. You can't tell me that you can't make a fly fishing or spinner fishing minigame.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You can't fish from a moving sailboat. :mad:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I am still in awe how Below Zero is worse than the sum of its parts. A lot of the parts are better than in OG Subnautica, just progression feels so much worse.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The forsaken airfield is a pretty nice map, but it an be a real death trap if you hunt for signals before exploring it properly. The fog drops your visibility to basically nothing and there's not a lot of shelter.

I've ranted how much I am dissatisfied with TLD, but I still enjoyed the DLC content a lot. it gives you a good reason to roam the lands.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Collect all the flowers and put them near the wild hive. You can get a hive to swarm fairly quickly if it has 20+ flowers around it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I don't enjoy the combat, so I go Malefactor every time.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Qubee posted:

I really wish there was a survival builder game in the same vein as Eco, where you just log on a server and it's community-based. People primarily working together to progress, survive and just generally have a good time. Let me chop my trees and build my homestead whilst creating crafts and goods to sell to the town. Something with the level of graphical quality Icarus has, but with way more depth.

I'm looking forward to games 20 years from now. I'll be able to live out my dream of being a New World settler.

Scratch the graphics part and you are describing playing Wurm Online or A Tale In The Desert

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

30.5 Days posted:

Unrelated to the above:

I played stationeers for the first time in a really long time, and the addition of nitrogen ice really turns around the early game. The Moon is actually a Beginner start for real since it's actually possible to fill rooms with non-flammable gas without having to set up complicated gas outputs from the smelter. I was able to get my farm up and running by dropping 5 stacks of nitrice in the room and then emptying my waste tank a couple times. The portable air conditioner isn't a total joke like it used to be so I've been able to keep the room at an acceptable temperature despite not having done anything with a heat exchanger yet. Overall it was the easiest start I've ever had and I'm already self-sufficient after a few hours. They also added difficulty levels and "normal" has SHITLOAD of ores everywhere so that hasn't hurt either. I think the old settings are now on the highest difficulty level and the three levels below it are progressively easier.

Altogether I'm pretty happy with how the game has progressed although it's gotten buggier over time. The game now locks up if you choose the "save" option after clicking exit to desktop lol.

On the moon, if you are very careful, you an make a gas pipe with one half inside the room and one half outside. Put radiators on the outside bits, and the indoor equivalent on the inside bits. Add a manual valve in between. CAREFULLY and SLOWLY put some pollutant into the pipe.

Voila, extremely low tech cooling enough for a farm without extensive heat generation. Just make sure you don't put a lot of gas into the pipe, because it WILL freeze eventually and burst the pipe if there's too much in it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Having overpressure safety in your rooms is a good idea regardless in case you ever drop a little too much ice.

The problem I have with the phase change update is that pipes burst way too quickly. On the other hand, you can build a very standard refrigeration cycle now and that's pretty cool.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Goa Tse-tung posted:

in the Ice Subnautica I became so fed up I started just cheating myself the story materials, bee-lined for the end and uninstalled

I used a prawn for the land sections. That made them bearable.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Stop Code: HAMMERTIME, presumably.

It's almost always either the graphics driver of "Anti" virus.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That's a driver issue. Complete stab in the dark: Audio driver blowing up.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's very Roadside Picnic by way of a roguelite.

It's kind of weird. I like it so far, but I feel the time pressure is more detrimental than it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Weirdly, I am not getting motion sickness, despite usually getting motion sickness especially in UE games.

Otoh, it seems for me the game just renders most environment textures in the lowest of the lowest of resolutions for some reason.